Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

CapnAndy posted:

But this is already, as the colloquialists say, genre as gently caress. The target audience will watch a Netflix anime.

The goal is not just the target audience, but the general audience. You do that by being authentic to the source material with good actors and good writing.

What people loved about HBO GoT was the soap opera politics and machinations, not the dragons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I am bordering on 50% done with HoA. What else do I need to read before Rhythm of War? Warbreaker, Dawnshard. Anything else?

That's it. You can read the rest after Rhythm of War, at most the worlds of White Sand or Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell get some Easter Egg like mentions.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Daily Dose of Internet Brain Rot
HoA - Chapter 37

Koloss are essentially allomantic inquisitor zombies. Jesus Christ.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

HoA - Chapter 42

Welp. Now seeing that Penrod will be controlled by Ruin since he has a metal spike in his heart, I have to assume Spook is being controlled by Ruin too since he has the tip of a sword stuck in his shoulder. 😔 So much for Kelsier actually being alive in spirit…

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Oathbringer Chapter 37 - The Last Time We March

Me at the beginning: Oh! A Rock PoV chapter. And it's long too! This should be fun.

Me at the end: :cry:

I am an absolute sucker for scenes in books and movies that get overly saccharine and reflectively sentimental. Rock reuniting with his family followed by Bridge 4 carrying the bridge "one last time" absolutely broke me.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

Oathbringer Chapter 37 - The Last Time We March

Me at the beginning: Oh! A Rock PoV chapter. And it's long too! This should be fun.

Me at the end: :cry:

I am an absolute sucker for scenes in books and movies that get overly saccharine and reflectively sentimental. Rock reuniting with his family followed by Bridge 4 carrying the bridge "one last time" absolutely broke me.

Yeah, that chapter is a tear-jerker. We need more men like Rock in this world.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTmVJQJoEVI

Synesthesian Fetish
Apr 29, 2008

Ya know, I useta be President... I'll let you kids punch me anywhere but the face for a dollar.

Is this just a video of him reading the blog post from December or is there new stuff in here?

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

HoA- Chapter 70

Mistsickened = Allomancy. I let out a very loud and audible “OH poo poo!”

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

So I finished Hero of Ages...

Yes. That is the most incredible ending in fantasy. I don't think anyone will top that. Holy poo poo. Brandon Sanderson. I pledge to follow your career with EXTREME more important than I already was. Wow!!!

12/10 - Goddamn, that was beautiful.

• Sazed - Hero of Ages. God.
  • Vin became Preservation and killed Ruin. drat.
  • The world now has continents and more oceans and flowers. Beautiful.
  • Elend, Vin, and Kelsier are alive in spirit since they all talked with Sazed. Does that come up in Wax & Wayne? Guess I have to RAFO.

It's going to take time for me to contemplate what I just read, but goddamn Brandon Sanderson. Please take a bow.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Warbreaker - Prologue

Straight into this book and right off the gate, a couple of things:

• I wish I would’ve known to read Warbreaker before Words of Radiance and Oathbringer
  • The all black shardblade is called Nightblood. Badass.
  • I see a lot of similarities between BioChemical and Stormlight hmm
  • For those of you who read Warbreaker on Kindle, are these annotations at the start of each chapter important?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Which annotations? There's the author notes which you shouldn't read on a first reading

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A Sneaker Broker posted:

So I finished Hero of Ages...

Yes. That is the most incredible ending in fantasy. I don't think anyone will top that. Holy poo poo. Brandon Sanderson. I pledge to follow your career with EXTREME more important than I already was. Wow!!!

12/10 - Goddamn, that was beautiful.

• Sazed - Hero of Ages. God.
  • Vin became Preservation and killed Ruin. drat.
  • The world now has continents and more oceans and flowers. Beautiful.
  • Elend, Vin, and Kelsier are alive in spirit since they all talked with Sazed. Does that come up in Wax & Wayne? Guess I have to RAFO.

It's going to take time for me to contemplate what I just read, but goddamn Brandon Sanderson. Please take a bow.

Yeah there's pacing issues and other things with Mistborn Era 1 for sure but he loving lands that ending. Which I feel is a rarity in fantasy.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Warbreaker - Chapter 7

> Be Lightsong
> Sit in the Grass on a Couch in the Courtyard
> Watch Fireworks
> Drink Endless Amounts of Wine
> “Oh poo poo, here comes Curvy-Goddess”
> Flirt with Her Smoothly
> Decline Her Invitation to Having Sex
> Watch More Fireworks

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Warbreaker - Chapter 7

> Be Lightsong
> Sit in the Grass on a Couch in the Courtyard
> Watch Fireworks
> Drink Endless Amounts of Wine
> “Oh poo poo, here comes Curvy-Goddess”
> Flirt with Her Smoothly
> Decline Her Invitation to Having Sex
> Watch More Fireworks

>randomly toss a ball
>get infinity points

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Wife just got to the end of part three of Words of Radiance. Had a similar reaction to me. Her thoughts: "The duel was the best thing yet in these books, but then loving Kaladin has to go ruin everything! He gets on my drat nerves sometimes. He's such a pick-me that always has to make everything about him."

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

… then loving Kaladin has to go ruin everything! He gets on my drat nerves sometimes. He's such a pick-me that always has to make everything about him."

A reoccurring theme.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
Kaladin has a lot in common with Dalinar and Jasnah that way. They've lived so long with Main Character Syndrome that they just expect it now, as the natural order of events. Kaladin is always the leader, Dalinar is always in command, Jasnah is always right. And when those assumptions fail, that's when they tend to take their biggest losses.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Kaladin has a lot in common with Dalinar and Jasnah that way. They've lived so long with Main Character Syndrome that they just expect it now, as the natural order of events. Kaladin is always the leader, Dalinar is always in command, Jasnah is always right. And when those assumptions fail, that's when they tend to take their biggest losses.

Yeah. I think it's a fantastic moment. It frustrated the hell out of me to. I was listening to my audiobook while driving and literally shouted out "OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!"

Like, Kaladin is right. The system is hosed. The caste system is hosed. He should be able to challenge Amaram. The thing is - Kaladin is one dude. No matter how right he is, he can't just bypass the entire system of society in that moment. Young Dalinar would probably agree with him. But older Dalinar has seen the limitations of what one man can do.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. I think it's a fantastic moment. It frustrated the hell out of me to. I was listening to my audiobook while driving and literally shouted out "OH FOR FUCKS SAKE!"

Like, Kaladin is right. The system is hosed. The caste system is hosed. He should be able to challenge Amaram. The thing is - Kaladin is one dude. No matter how right he is, he can't just bypass the entire system of society in that moment. Young Dalinar would probably agree with him. But older Dalinar has seen the limitations of what one man can do.

to be fair If elhokar hadn't hosed up and thrown a hissy fit, Kaladin totally could have gotten a boon and it would have made the plan work better. A darkeyes defeating a shardbearer in defense of his lighteyed master and becoming elevated for that is the stepped-out-of-a-legend type of once in a lifetime accomplishment that a king's boon is for.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Tunicate posted:

to be fair If elhokar hadn't hosed up and thrown a hissy fit, Kaladin totally could have gotten a boon and it would have made the plan work better. A darkeyes defeating a shardbearer in defense of his lighteyed master and becoming elevated for that is the stepped-out-of-a-legend type of once in a lifetime accomplishment that a king's boon is for.
Yeah, by the strict letter of the law Kaladin is legally a Shardbearer, and thus a fourth nahn lighteyes, from the moment he takes down that one Shardbearer and forces him to yield his Shards right there on the dueling grounds. Elhokar had multiple outs but decided to take the opportunity to turn into a classist moron.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, by the strict letter of the law Kaladin is legally a Shardbearer, and thus a fourth nahn lighteyes, from the moment he takes down that one Shardbearer and forces him to yield his Shards right there on the dueling grounds. Elhokar had multiple outs but decided to take the opportunity to turn into a classist moron.

I mean that's debatable. Kaladin may have defeated people in the duel, but the shards are Adolin's, not Kaladin's.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I mean that's debatable. Kaladin may have defeated people in the duel, but the shards are Adolin's, not Kaladin's.

Nobody is going to raise that objection, if the head of House Kholin and king says the shards were won by Kaladin, they were won by Kaladin, and it isn't like Adolin would object to it

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Tunicate posted:

Nobody is going to raise that objection, if the head of House Kholin and king says the shards were won by Kaladin, they were won by Kaladin, and it isn't like Adolin would object to it

Correct, but that hadn't happened yet. Kaladin has not been bequeathed any shards at that time. There was no guarantee he was going to be given shards. There was no agreement for shards. Obviously Dalinar/Adolin would offer him shards after his effort, but they hadn't yet. At the moment of his challenge demand, he was still a Dark Eyes of whatever Nahn.

EDIT:
On another topic, this is funny:

For comparison, Brandon is 5'9

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Apr 10, 2024

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Decided to listen to the audiobook for my reread and I like how cinematic it feels but also why does Kaladin sound 50 years old

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Mordiceius posted:

Correct, but that hadn't happened yet. Kaladin has not been bequeathed any shards at that time. There was no guarantee he was going to be given shards. There was no agreement for shards. Obviously Dalinar/Adolin would offer him shards after his effort, but they hadn't yet. At the moment of his challenge demand, he was still a Dark Eyes of whatever Nahn.
You can, however, make the strong argument that Kaladin, who has defeated a Shardbearer and stripped him of his Shards right there, has triggered the laws that make any darkeye who does that into a Shardbearer and therefore legally a lighteyes of high rank, and those laws take effect immediately, whereas the conditions of the duel don't take effect until the duel's end. So for the intervening period, Kaladin was a Shardbearer, which means he became a lighteyes, which means he is still a lighteyes, and whether or not he actually possesses any Shards right now doesn't enter into it.

Is that all legal hair-splitting resulting in a vaguely nonsense result? Sure it is, but who cares? It gives Elhokar cover to treat Kaladin's challenge as legitimate, which is all that's needed in that instant. A darkeyes challenging a Shardbearer and winning Shards in a duel has, guaranteed, never happened before, which means they're in unprecedented waters and Elhokar, as king, has pretty wide latitude to interpret it in whatever way is most favorable to him. And he fuckin' doesn't.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

EDIT:
On another topic, this is funny:

For comparison, Brandon is 5'9

Fun fact: Wemby is a huge Cosmere nerd. He saved the ending of Words of Radiance for his pre-game fuel. I'm not kidding.

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nba/news/victor-wembanyama-loves-brandon-sanderson-books/1d487ab4ded0d7ae0f881456

quote:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

You can, however, make the strong argument that Kaladin, who has defeated a Shardbearer and stripped him of his Shards right there, has triggered the laws that make any darkeye who does that into a Shardbearer and therefore legally a lighteyes of high rank, and those laws take effect immediately, whereas the conditions of the duel don't take effect until the duel's end. So for the intervening period, Kaladin was a Shardbearer, which means he became a lighteyes, which means he is still a lighteyes, and whether or not he actually possesses any Shards right now doesn't enter into it.

Is that all legal hair-splitting resulting in a vaguely nonsense result? Sure it is, but who cares? It gives Elhokar cover to treat Kaladin's challenge as legitimate, which is all that's needed in that instant. A darkeyes challenging a Shardbearer and winning Shards in a duel has, guaranteed, never happened before, which means they're in unprecedented waters and Elhokar, as king, has pretty wide latitude to interpret it in whatever way is most favorable to him. And he fuckin' doesn't.

I love this legal hair-splitting of Alethi law. I would argue, though, that Kaladin didn't "challenge a shardbearer" Adolin did. Kaladin was only support. The dueling match is between Adolin and Relis. If Adolin's team wins, Adolin wins all of the shards. If Relis's team wins, Relis wins all of the shards.

I would argue that this comes down to the fact that even though Kaladin "defeated" shardbearers while in the arena, he did not kill them. So that means the defeated shardbearer still owns and is bonded to their shards. The "ownership" of the shards only transfers after the duel is decided. And, even then, the only possible recipients of the shards are Adolin and Relis.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I’m sorry, I don’t read Azish?

mewse
May 2, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

I’m sorry, I don’t read Azish?

shaking my drat head

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Of course if we really get into the weeds adolin technically cheated since
Maya + Adolin + Renarin + Glys + Renarin's Bladespren + Kaladin + Syl + Pattern = 8 people on Team Adolin,
while his opponents were only four dudes with three shardblades, or 7 people

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

I finished Warbreaker...

• 4/5 Enjoyable story. Good world/universe building.
  • Wish it explained how Nightblood ended up in Roshar. Oh well.
  • I assume some other characters will also appear in Stormlight. (I think Azure is one of them since she's looking for Nightblood.)
  • This book has many twists and turns, which makes it very enjoyable to read.
  • "The easiest way to hide something is by hiding it in plain sight" - Vasher probably.

It's Dawnshard time. Then, Rhythm of War. I think I will save Mistborn Era 2 and Mistborn: SH for after RoW unless there are major easter-eggs hidden in them that will pop up in RoW. I'm open to suggestions.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

I really like Warbreaker but I feel like the ending was underdeveloped. It needed like another 5-10% at the end imo.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Mordiceius posted:

I really like Warbreaker but I feel like the ending was underdeveloped. It needed like another 5-10% at the end imo.

Yeah, I could see that. I was on Kindle looking at my percent bar, and the ending ended at 80% because of the annotations, and I was like, "WTF." They rushed the whole palace take-over and such.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Yeah, I could see that. I was on Kindle looking at my percent bar, and the ending ended at 80% because of the annotations, and I was like, "WTF." They rushed the whole palace take-over and such.

Yeah and the whole there is an undead army marching but don’t worry, we took care of it off screen.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I finished Warbreaker...

• I assume some other characters will also appear in Stormlight. (I think Azure is one of them since she's looking for Nightblood.)
  • "The easiest way to hide something is by hiding it in plain sight" - Vasher probably.

We’d all like to know that second one. As for the third, if you either re-read or go back and think about it, it’s very, very obvious. You’re already on the right path.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I finished Warbreaker...

It's Dawnshard time. Then, Rhythm of War. I think I will save Mistborn Era 2 and Mistborn: SH for after RoW unless there are major easter-eggs hidden in them that will pop up in RoW. I'm open to suggestions.

In general, I would recommend reading Rhythm of War before Mistborn Era 2 (specifically The Lost Metal), for a similar reason I'd recommend reading Warbreaker before Words of Radiance.

A Sneaker Broker
Feb 14, 2020

Very fast read of Dawnshard and:

• 5/5. Very easy read, but majorrrr implications for the Cosmere
  • Lopen got his third ideal done because he had to vow to project others from himself :lol:
  • And, Huio got his before Lopen. drat.
  • The Dawnshard being a Cosmere universe thing and not a Roshar-only thing is so cool.
  • Rysn must hold a lot of breath because she must be at least third heightening, if not more.
  • Theirs gonna be at least 25 more books that make the Cosmere THE Premier Connected Universe.

It’s RoW time.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Very fast read of Dawnshard and:

• Rysn must hold a lot of breath because she must be at least third heightening, if not more.

It’s RoW time.

You can't just say this without explaining your reasoning. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

pik_d posted:

You can't just say this without explaining your reasoning. :thunk:

There is an internal dialogue where she says that the colors look more vibrant and vivid. From the wiki "Third Heightening 600 Breaths Perfect Color Recognition".