Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Alright, just finished warbreaker (half-baked characters but cool magic system and setting) and have read all 6 mistborn books, Elantris, the 4 stormlight books, and random novellas and shorts. What else is there to read other than the rest of the short stories, for cosmere stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

mewse posted:

You've covered all the complete novels. The cosmere collection has basically all of the short stories that are cosmere related. Secret history is pretty huge if you haven't read that yet. Stormlight archive novellas are pretty big too (edgedancer, dawnshard)

This page has a list of what's cosmere:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandon_Sanderson_bibliography

Yep, I read secret history and dawnshard, my library loan ran out before I got to edgedancer though. Thanks! Sounds like I can fairly safely wade into reading spoilers now.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

Post your impressions/thoughts about books or characters or plotlines, we're always super interested in reading those!

I read everything in the last six months or so, so it should be fresh. I’ll give it a shot tonight.

Edit: one book review down, 11 more to go. will post when i'm done

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 05:36 on May 5, 2021

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
“Hold on I just need to finish this banana really quick and then I’ll be able to shoot lasers out of my eyes.”

-Mistborn era 3 protagonist, probably

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Dalinar is a chosen one, given the word of god in book form directly, and leads his tribe on a journey to their mythical promised land. He’s basically Joseph Smith

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

if you think dalinar was ever given the word of any kind of capital-G God in book form you may have missed a great deal of plot

also what tribe is he leading to what promised land

in summation: what

Well I never did say capital-G god which I would have if I meant it. The guy has seemingly mystical visions of the past, and based on them leads the alethi, who if I remember correctly follow a religion sometimes considered strange to their geographic contemporaries, to urithiru, a place supposedly central to their ability to survive impending apocalypse. At least through the first couple of novels the plot as revealed through Dalinar’s POV chapters seemed to share some similarities to me.

Stories don’t have to have literal 1:1 analogues to read them as interacting with each other. In fact, subverting expectations established through references to other texts is a perfectly common writing device and mode of rhetorical analysis, and it’s patently absurd not to expect a practicing Mormon to be influenced by his own holy books. You don’t have to agree with my interpretation but I also wasn’t exactly trying to speak literally, but I probably didn’t convey that very well in my post.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 9, 2022

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

your post was that he was "given the word of god in book form directly, and leads his tribe on a journey to their mythical promised land" and you have already dramatically retreated from that bad take and are trying to pretend you didn't say those things lol

dalinar has visions that're set up by Just Some Guy Who Had Power that literally prove his society's god isn't god and his nation falls and he manages to bring them to a place where they can hold out despite being extremely literally an apostate with people only following him out of extreme necessity and preexisting state power. his 'religion' is an unformed feeling on faith alone that there must be some higher power out there, he rejects the atheism that he has intellectually learned but has literally nothing to base it on, and he also might quite directly be wrong insofar as if he thinks Adonalsium is The Real God that is probably not going to be the actual truth when we eventually learn more

also there's a pretty good chance he's being set up to be a major bad guy

anyways you're right, he's Joseph Smith insofar as any religious person leading a nation-state is Joseph Smith. he's also David and Moses too I reckon

Half of your middle paragraph there are bog-standard critiques of organized religion, and yes, Dalinar does turn out to be horribly, tragically wrong in thinking that he’s receiving divine missives directly! What might the author be saying about the nature of self-professed prophets??

Yeah, when someone writes a fictitious story about a religious person leading a nation state out of persecution or to a promised land, there is necessarily a rhetorical relationship between that character and Moses! This time I am being literal: the Old Testament and the Torah are the most widely read texts in the history of humanity and are thus hugely influential. The works of Shakespeare are similar in influence if not as dramatic and specifically limited to English, for the most part. But if you’re reading a story written in English in the last 300 years about two young lovers kept apart by politics, possibly ending in tragedy, it’s probably worth considering that the author has read and been influenced by Romeo and Juliet.

I’ll admit that I posted a lazy, unsubstantiated hot take in my first post but I stand by my interpretation that Dalinar sees himself as a prophet and it’s worth considering how his story might illuminate the author’s feelings towards prophets in their own religion. Feel free to disagree but I’m not gonna post here again probably because I didn’t learn anything from this conversation

Edit:

I take back what I said about not learning anything

eke out posted:

thinking about this more, i think the actual interesting thing about Dalinar re: Sanderson's religion is not some joseph smith comparison but that it's a character working through what it means to have faith in some kind of higher power with literally zero orthodoxy and only basically a secular humanist code of ethics via the knights radiant

he's more like a mirror of Sazed in that way: fundamentally a believer in something that doesn't know what that thing is, instead of a guy knows all the religions and wants to believe but doesn't know how

Thanks this at least gives me credit for being literate.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jan 9, 2022

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

okay great so dalinar is a negative commentary about people like joseph smith? feels pretty different than the initial take, if you think this is sanderson indirectly criticizing the core figure in his religion. unfortunately still doesn't hold up well due to literally nothing else being at all like joseph smith except the 'leading a nation' and 'religious in some way' parts

lol okay, feels like there might be a correlation here

I think the themes of imperialism explored in Wit’s story of the walled town and racism throughout the series can be seen as piece and part of the conversation between Dalinar’s story and Mormonism. The alethi are at least initially interested only in subjugating or ethnically cleansing their dark-skinned enemies who turn out to be the true natives of the continent and predate the lighter-skinned people of Roshar. If there’s anything Mormons have historically clung to and only recently officially changed that a modern progressive man ought to wholly reject it’s the idea that black and brown people are less than whites (not welcome in the Mormon priesthood). Dalinar explicitly humanizes and normalizes a racial minority as part of his tribe, embodying a progression and outright rejection of the dominant ideals of his culture. This is what I mean when I say that just because they aren’t exactly similar doesn’t mean that there isn’t meaning in the differences, or that those differences invalidate any rhetorical interpretation of the similarities.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Tunicate posted:

Dalinar's never shown any regret for killing the Listeners, though. He occasionally was worried that killing them was no longer pragmatic, but that was about it.

Rlain gets basically no respect from anyone, up to and including Dalinar learning Rlain isn't the last survivor of his race, then never telling him.

I feel like he demonstrates some regret for the things he did in general under the influence of the thrill, but you’re right that he’s never shown remorse specifically for the genocide of the Listeners. Whether or not the world he lives in and the circumstances of his life and culture progress to a point where he considers his behavior morally wrong is a question of plot, character development for Dalinar, and worldbuilding for Roshar. Whatever answer Sanderson chooses and how he goes about it will be influenced by his own beliefs, values, circumstances of life, culture, and religion. For example, it’s completely believable for Dalinar to ultimately never feel bad for slaughtering indigenous people in the text of the books when it’s all finished, but one would assume there will have been been negative consequences for Dalinar and/or and the world not learning the error of their ways if Sanderson wants the text to support the idea that ethnic cleansing is reprehensible.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Embarrassing that no one has mentioned Le Guin’s writing yet, which is plainly superior to pretty much every other SF/F writer I’ve ever read.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Arrath posted:

I've only read Wizard of Earthsea so far, but I can't say it struck me as anything special. Any further recommendations?

Wizard of earthsea is basically a children’s novel, albeit a great one imo. Left hand of darkness is an incredibly interesting story, I love that one.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Honestly Dawnshard probably has the most interesting details that don’t mean anything without other Cosmere context, IMO

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Now taking bets on when the first ghostwritten cosmere novel gets published, o/u is midnight on June 1 2029.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

MagusofStars posted:

Two are Gandalf and Saruman.

There’s also Radagast (spelling?) who basically just talks to animals and plays a very minor role in the story as a messenger who sends the eagles to rescue Gandalf from being trapped by Saruman.

The two other Maiar wizards are so irrelevant that they don’t even get names in the original trilogy. IIRC, the later established canon is that they gave up their mission and just hosed off to distant lands.

One’s blue

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Still all stormlight/cosmere spoilers i have been assuming there is a Seon in there

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 30, 2023

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Xenix posted:

While I know he already came back with a "lol, no," this reminds me of a happening on the old Gene Wolfe mailing list. There was a guy there who posted by the name Roy C. Lackey who has similarly very well thought out posts. He eventually got called out in a very cavalier way as potentially being Gene Wolfe who sees himself on the mailing list as a king overseeing his servants with a clever name (Roi see lackey).

It would be kinda hosed up if Wolfe didn’t do that tbh, those readers probably deserved it

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

It's simpler than that. Hood has a jar of sand on the table he's using for his illusion, and it's apparently from Taldain because one side of the jar facing Shallan changes color, which indicates that someone is using Investiture in that direction

Surprise! Malazan is now in the cosmere!

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

McSpankWich posted:

I also have only read it once and understood it fine. People make it out to be much worse than it is, and jumping into book 1 is definitely difficult because Erikson just drops your right in the middle of a whole world with zero prep. I almost gave up at the half way point of Gardens of the Moon, but after a week I picked it back up and it got much better from there, Gardens is also the worst written of the books as there is 10 year gap between it and the rest of series where his writing improved tremendously. If you're worried about that you can start he series with book 2 or even 4. Also, Sanderson's "Sanderlanch" pales in comparison to Erikson's

I agree with this post, it’s only unpleasant to read if you don’t enjoy feeling like you’re discovering a primary source from an utterly unknown civilization. It’s totally fine that I don’t really get how Warrens work or why/how/when three major races of people warred with each other, it’s not like every character in-universe is in on it, either.

I also really, really love Book of the New Sun so I’m pretty biased towards the “here’s the world, no questions and no answers, please” genre of epic fantasy.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
All cosmere spoilers there’s a bunch of minor details in sunlit man that touch on a lot of these topics. I haven’t quite finished but I’m thinking of the pure investiture on the lab table and the mention of an Awakened steelmind suggesting cross-planet investiture interaction

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Sunlit man and stormlight archive spoilers: did anyone else get the vibes that maybe this planet is the ancient homeworld of the Rosharan colonists? There was mention that there was an exodus from the planet with some people left behind. Sigzil also points out that the planet seems to be attracting Investiture to its core in a direct line from the sun. Could be that the ancient inhabitants eventually needed such vast amounts of Investiture that they thought they could just siphon energy from the sun, only to turn their homeworld into a slowly shrinking, partially-molten drag strip. It’s also curious that Sig notes the orbital anomalies of the planet with respect to size, rotation speed, and distance from the sun, all of which would be thrown off-kilter by nuking half the mass of the planet with magic at all times.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
It’s easy to hate on Lirin, Kal’s dad because he lives in a violent world but he’s a strict and consistent pacifist, which the world needs more of.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

Some wise old guy once said: "To ignore the plight of those one might conceivably save is not wisdom - it is indolence."

Ah yeah guess it doesn’t matter if you harm some people in the process of saving others, thanks, trolley problem’s been solved then.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Yeah who could have guessed that one of the Targaryens would make a heel turn and kill a bunch of innocent people the second she got to the city

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Stormlight spoilers, also content warning for sexual assault (was gonna abbreviate this ‘SA’ but, well) The alethi practice cultural genocide and chattel slavery against the listeners, there’s pretty much nothing that’s beneath them in my mind. The only reason there aren’t heavy themes of sexual violence perpetrated against so-called “parshmen” is that Brandon’s imagination isn’t nearly violent enough to include such a heinous practice in his books, I think.

Edit to add I’m not really clamoring for that kind of content, in fact I read these stories because there’s a refreshing lack of over-the-top sexual violence relative to a lot of modern adult fantasy.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

CapnAndy posted:

The Expanse guys should do it, they can hit the tone and they write fast.

Also the test is very consistent, I get Truthwatcher with Elsecaller in a close second every time.

The expanse guys are literally absolute fucker’s assistants, or were

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Dawnshard rysn also has perfect pitch after becoming the Dawnshard, she’s obviously holding a relatively (compared to Stormlight native to Roshar) massive amount of investiture at this point

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

I always imagined Shadesmar as like being in a total solar eclipse. The sun is black with a brilliant white ring around it, the sky is black, things are dim like twilight, but there are sharp shadows everywhere and you can still see clearly

drat, I didn’t really put this together at the time, but my experience of the eclipse a few weeks ago was absolutely awe-inspiring and weird in the way Shadesmar sounds.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

Bands of Mourning:

This lady with the braided hair asking Wax about his misting powers seems like her understanding of physics might be a bit too advanced for the development of the Scadrial. She mentions redshift for the time slowing and speeding up powers which requires a theory of relativity, and I've not seen any indication they have reached that yet, though Scadrial is getting pretty close to when we did ourselves.

I put it at a 50/50 whether this person is from elsewhere in the Cosmere or if Sanderson is just shuffling around when they figure stuff out on Scadrial.

They don’t have radio, their “scientists” have no loving idea about the Doppler effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Nitrousoxide posted:

They've got electricity, so it's in principle possible for them to have developed the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arc_converter or https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spark-gap_transmitter on purpose or accident. But yeah, they are likely a few decades too early to have encountered the physical processes that would lead one to develop a theory of relativity

Do they know they have electricity? Or do they just know that putting these kinds of metal things here makes stuff go? I find it really hard to analyze the state of “science” in Scadrial since A) it’s disparate between continents and B) can’t tell if god just made a crop circle that said “plug in here” for any of their technology.