Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Brandon Sanderson posted:

So, in Words of Radiance, I think the scene I worked on the longest both in my head and on the page was the final confrontation between Kaladin and Szeth.

There was something I wanted to do, and took a stab at it in the text, then backed off because I couldn’t make it work. It was important to me that Kaladin refuse to kill Szeth at the end. Kaladin is about protection, not vengeance, and once he realized that Szeth really just wanted to be killed, I wanted Kaladin to hesitate.

It didn’t end up working, and I moved on to a new version and submitted it. But this itched at me, and by the time the book was released, I felt I’d made the wrong choice for that scene. So I’ve taken this chance to roll it back to the previous idea, and written it in a new way, which I like much better.

The events are the same, except for that moment. Szeth is now killed by the storm instead of by Kaladin, which I think is more thematically appropriate.

So in that part Rather than through the neck Kaladin chops the wrist of his sword arm, and Szeth is then swallowed by the storm as he falls with his fate unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Thats definitely a "book 5 through 10" future books speculation given spoilers not an in context of the current conversation "just ahead of where Modiceius is" future books

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
But yeah Mord keep posting those theories and observations they're great.

Same for the rest of our new readers.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think he would still rank as 4th dahn, as everything else is just a job title. He's not a prince or a king or a royal consort or a high prince. He's not been granted any more lands to rule and administer.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Luckily I think most WoB's are either revealed in a book anyway, or miscellaneous things about mechanics that drive us to speculate but are not themselves relevant to the books.

The best thing to do is just never look them up, until you want to get in the weeds of speculation and theory crafting to fill your free time between books.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Something something always another secret

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The point of uninformed speculation is for us to enjoy and look back on.

Not for us to answer them.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
RAFO

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Each series works fine in isolation though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Everyone can just skip Allomancer Jak, forever

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I think its implied that (Can't remember, RoW probably) when humans first set up camp in Shin 7000 years ago there was initially friendly relations - and I would assume that, humans being humans, all the people got their freak on in that era, resulting in the trace genetics in the bloodlines now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The interactive timeline is pretty vague on the spoilers, but spoilers none the less

https://roshar.17thshard.com/#/en-US

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Not inaccurate

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Every cosmere series is standalone, its only the easter eggs you get if you read other stuff. And depending on the order you can find different fun ways to discover those connections from different angles.

You don't need to have read anything other than tWoK, WoR, and oathbringer to fully enjoy RoW.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Perfect timing, saw the new posts, clicked the link, 20 seconds on the timer.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
#7,696 Here

They passed $3.5M while I was pressing the order buttons.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
They buried the lead in the add-on's section, they have a ton

Including a "Journey Before Destination" license plate cover, did not expect that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
All we need is Sanderson to announce an endgame Cosmere multiplayer spaceship game where you can get out of your ship and do allomancy on Roshar's moons then dance a fortnite jig. Promise everything and Star Citizen will finally be dethroned.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
They're already nearly through 1/3 of the 50k signed copies.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Rendered it for you.

Be fire.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Laural was right, Kal is an ignorant rear end in the way that only people with power and authority can

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Oathbringer - Chapter 8

So, there are Radiant combinations and tandems that, when combined, get new cool powers. That is sick.

Dalinar + Shallan = 3D Map with Topography.

Someone may have played Chronotrigger, and I for one can't wait for triple techs.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CapnAndy posted:

I chose my words carefully. (Full spoilers!) [...]
Oh, also, I left a detail out. When Shallan draws Taravangian, she draws two Cryptics. Until the RoW reveal, you're supposed to assume that Shallan was just being scouted by multiple spren, but do we have a timeframe on when Testament got picked up and brought to Lasting Integrity?

So while a radiant Lightweaver or Elsecaller can make the transition physically, to the equivalent location, as we saw with Urithiru the real world and Shadesmar aren't 1:1, just painted in the same broad brush. But more specifically, due to the way we've been shown people 'peaking' between them, we know that unlike transportation that simple observation is much less tied to location and more to connection. So Testament could have physically been in Lasting Integrity while being observed by Shallan. Similar to how when a deadeye makes the transition it doesn't matter where they are physically. Testament was still "10 heartbeats away" right there, following her, even if she was on the other side of the world for safe keeping.

Mr. Hasty posted:

RoW spoiler The inkspren Adolin talks to says Testament left 10 years ago to join the hunt for Radiants, and was found last year on an island far to the east. So Testament might have gotten separated after the fall of Kholinar.

Also there is a good posibility That Testament was found back in Shadesmar after reverting near the plains following the summoning against Tyn. Since she summoned Pattern in the Chasm with Kaladin.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 9, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CapnAndy posted:

This next stuff is full spoilers through the WaT prologue.

Shallanchat:

But I still hate "I'm terrified"! It doesn't work! If that's Second, to make "I killed my father" Third and giving her a living Blade in time to unlock Urithiru, that makes "I killed my mother" Fourth. Which earns her Plate. And, as Jasnah quite conspicuously takes time to point out, Shallan has no Plate.

I maintain my theory about Shallan's Truth's, (Full Stormlight) She's still bonded to Testament, and she still owes testament two truths, and Pattern needs 5, and there is an order of precedence for which of the 'slots' are filled.

To copy again -

M_Gargantua posted:

Stormlight RoW speculation - I had a thought that maybe Shallan will have to say 7 or 8 truths, as Testament is still following her around and bonded to her, as she was able to summon a Testament blade in WoK even before speaking the first truth to Pattern in WoK Ch 45. That first technical truth spoken to Pattern was "I am Terrified", so by that count she's already at four truths on screen as of RoW. So I think maybe she has a truth deficit to pay back in parallel, having both a dead and living spren bonded. The one or two unknown truth's she spoke as a kid to Testament that granted blade. Right now we know that Lightweavers get both Illumination and Transformation before blade. So with some conjecture - "I am Terrified" was the first truth spoken to pattern, granting her soulcasting which she used to create the bloody mess, and "I killed my father" gave her access to Pattern as a blade, which is what she used to kill Tyn and lend to Kaladin. So now she's caught up to where she was originally before Testament died. That makes "I killed my mother" her fourth ideal, but one given to Testament, and "I killed Testament" her fourth idea, spoken to Pattern. I think then she now qualifies for Plate, and she'll have to swear two more to complete the fifth. A problem the original knights or shard bearers didn't have, and a unique case.

And CapnAndy's immediate reply about what he thinks is going to happen at the start of KoW is probably also near on the money.

M_Gargantua fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Mar 11, 2024

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
First mentioned the WoK chapter 45 epigraph as folklore, only mention in the book. Four Epigraphs in WoR, and twice used as a curse word.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

Loling because I went to go listen to Oathbringer at lunch and I was midchapter. First line I hear “He hesitated”

Yes Yes repeated motifs yes how quaint...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Narsham posted:

Nightblood implies that sentient objects/people who are Awakened need a constant supply of Breaths to keep going, but it isn't clear whether it eats everyone's Breaths or tears them apart and sends them back to the Spiritual Realm in tatters. I suppose it might be both. I do wonder whether Awakening steel has implications beyond the world of this story (and I'm thinking Mistborn-type implications).

On Nightblood: based on Sanderson's more Mormon sourced concept of the soul, and WoB's, as I like to phase it it is more a "Go straight to the Spiritual Realm. Do not pass go. Do not collect $200". Severing all connections to cognitive shadows and backup plans and cosmic forces

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I would like to know more!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Stormlight is a FromSoft game

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Torrannor posted:

(Rhythm of War spoilers:) The answer would seem to be that a bondsmith (Ishar) did it.

So it seems that on Roshar, a bondsmith can just straight up make people immortal. Granted, Ishar might have had help from Honor. But unchained bondsmiths are more powerful than they were during Honor's time, not to mention that Dalinar is bonded to the being holding a significant part of Honor, so who knows what's possible here. But at least for the Heralds, the answer to how they became immortal is straightforward enough.

So the thing here is that it wasn't just Ishar, It was via Honors power, it just took human choice (Ishar's) to sign the deal as it were. It is unlikely that even an unchained bondsmith could do something even remotely similar. They wouldn't have the Shard power of both Odium and Honor to juice the enforcement.

Honors system is seemingly more legalese than others, and if the oath/contract says "for all time" then oops you're now immortal, don't worry about the repercussions.

(Also if you like magical lawfare may I suggest Three Parts Dead and the following series...)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Kelsier taking joy in murder is definitely sociopathic behavior, but just like Inglorious Bastards and the similar content, we don't care when Fascists and Evil gets the What For.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
It was 100% his own fault.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

CapnAndy posted:

But this is already, as the colloquialists say, genre as gently caress. The target audience will watch a Netflix anime.

The goal is not just the target audience, but the general audience. You do that by being authentic to the source material with good actors and good writing.

What people loved about HBO GoT was the soap opera politics and machinations, not the dragons.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I’m sorry, I don’t read Azish?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
The big thing to frame Fused/Herald stuff is this - The characters use a bunch of analogies because they don't actually know, nobody knows. "The Heralds are like a Cork" etc. No one living knows, no reader knows, not even Coppermind knows for now. All we know is that its not like the characters get teleported to the hellraiser dimension, there is much more nuance, and its more like a magical legal contract rather than hard physics.

I hope we never get a real explanation, or if we do, its first person from one very specific character.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I found this wild theory in the comments

That dude is just stealing our homework during our black box post-a-thons. We’re already like three layers beyond that already.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
1) Keep reading

2) :justpost:

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
:2bong:

No one ever said they had to be good or verifiable theories!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
(Full Stormlight) etc Mordiceius do not mouseover...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Mordiceius posted:

Except he spends almost the entire book as a slave doing bridge runs, so it's not really experiencing much of the world or society. :shrug:

Maybe some sort of allegory for how it feels to be a regular person under the yoke of capitalism in modern society...