Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Chernabog posted:

Hemalurgy counts as one?

Edit: Seriously though, what was the name of the one with the stamps that rewrite history?

Forgery

edit: also

Leng posted:

Here's Sanderson talking about his views on creating magic systems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXAcA_y3l6M&t=142s (it's from his BYU lectures which if you're interesting in writing is pretty interesting to watch)

This is pretty good. I might not agree with his points 100%, but even he admits that this is just a subjective framework for making interesting stories. He's absolutely spot-on with his comparison of Two Towers vs Return of the King in terms of earned vs. unearned resolutions of conflicts.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Leng posted:

I had understood that question as being more about Plate in general, rather than Dalinar getting Radiant Plate, specifically. But yeah, at the end of Words of Radiance, the Stormfather tells Dalinar that he "will be a Radiant without Shards".

Personally, I am of the belief that those hints were Sanderson intentionally foreshadowing Dalinar becoming a Radiant. That said, if you look at how Dalinar's powers manifest in Oathbringer, yeah, he's a terrifying force of nature in battle but I think it's arguable that he has a more massive effect not personally fighting battles anymore. I mean, he can summon Perpendicularities and recharge spheres not to mention the effect that has on Soulcasting.

I never really thought about this, but was Shallan's lightweaving augmented by the presence of the perpendicularity? I think both Shallan and Jasnah remark that maybe her illusions were mixed with soulcasting (to add mass? to make the illusions bleed real blood?), but also she created 100x more at once than ever before

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I started Warbreaker last week and I'm almost finished, but now I'm wondering: has Sanderson ever addressed the fact that Awakening seems to operate outside of normal conservation-of-energy rules with regard to Investiture? Like it seems that unless he introduces new rules, the fact that awakened objects can be sustained entirely by Breath means you could use them as an infinite energy source. You command Lifeless to walk forward in giant hamster wheels, or just awaken a turbine and command it to "spin", forever. Unless the Breath is someone diminished (which, idk, maybe it could be! it seems that not all Breaths are equal, after all), it seems like this is truly a "set it and forget it" scenario.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Aug 20, 2018

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Pretty sure Sanderson has either said outright that Breath is diminished over time, or hinted at it. He's at least stated that there's no net loss of Breath in that world (excluding any worldhopper shenanigans) even with Nightblood's insatiable appetite, or the Returned slowly burning Breath to keep going.

I saw a response from a Q&A of "well maybe things lose one breath after a while (?)", but idk what he'll really decide on. But if he said that about loss of Breath, than I wonder if that means that Nightblood doesn't consume breath, just absorbs it (which would help explain why it's by far the most invested object we've seen, despite being made with only 1000 breaths). And if that's true, I wonder what it implies about what happens to the Breath consumed by Returned. Does Endowment take back a Breath from each Returned every week, in the same way that Nightblood takes breath?

Now that I'm thinking of parallels, though--Nightblood only needs breath when wielded outside of its (aluminum?) sheath (rules on this seem to change slightly between Warbreaker and Oathbringer: Vasher is able to throw Nightblood away (and prevent it from taking his breath), but Szeth couldnt let go of it until it was sheathed). Differences aside, it seems that aluminum prevents Nightblood from taking Breath from its wielder. I wonder if a Returned, lying in an aluminum coffin, might no longer lose a Breath every week (if indeed Endowment is taking the Breaths back)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

The Gardenator posted:

It's about 100 times bigger than this thing

it's was also a level in Golden Axe

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Mel Mudkiper posted:

On the other hand, I thought the first chapter of The Way of Kinds was actually very well written. Its narrative matched the essence of events, and it allowed the small building of worldly details to naturally emerge in the action. Perhaps one day I will try to read it further.

Some people hate the intro's of way of kings, since the first makes little sense until maybe book , and the second has been described as "videogamey" in how it lays it the mechanics of one aspect of the magic system. I think that second part is important, though, because it conforms to his philosophy. All of the magic systems he develops are rules based, and when it's used to do something new an unexpected he's rarely pulling it out of his rear end--it fits into the rules he's created. There's a pretty long lecture of his about this on youtube which explains it, but the end result is that most of the cool moments in the books feel earned in a way that they wouldn't if played fast and loose with the rules.

If he seemed interesting, I recommend setting aside the Way of Kings for the moment (which owns, hard, but starts slow) in favor of a novella of his, The Emperor's Soul. You'll know whether or not you'll want to read an entire novel of his after finishing that, I think. (The audiobook versions of the Stormlight Archive are also great)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Sanderson is like someone took the adage that the first million words you write will be garbage and decided to just do a million a year to see how far he could get.

Didn't he write one or more of his unpublished novels before Elantris, too? Or am I mixing up the chronology?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Torrannor posted:

It's possible that Sanderson expanded Kelsier's role when it became apparent that he was a fan favorite. But in Hero of Ages, somebody gave Spook the message he sent to Vin (don't trust anybody pierced by metal), and Spook thought it was the real Kelsier this time. Ruin very much wanted to know what kind of message it was, and used Marsh to intercept it. So it wasn't Ruin, but who else could it have been?

And Sazed himself wrote that making Spook a full Mistborn was Kelsier's idea.

I've gone through the series twice now, and I really should take notes (or look up the notes of someone who already did the work). My impression is that while Sanderson did leave some gaps to be filled in at a later date, there are other elements that seem completely retconned to make things fit together.

For instance, the mist spirit's motivations seemed pretty clear by the end of Well of Ascension, but he had to change it so that sometimes the mist spirit was Preservation, but other times it was actually Ruin. The same thing happened the mist spirit Vin sees in the last book (or maybe she only senses it with bronze?), which I recall being sorta pointless, but it then ("oh well it was Kelsier loving around, and then also Ruin loving around pretending to be him").

I can't remember if it's in Hero of Ages or Secret History that it's established that Preservation can hear people's thoughts, and Ruin can speak to people's minds (the latter of which isn't well supported by the text always, where Ruin seems to know exactly what Vin's thinking. But this is partially "explained" by Vin recognizing she is also having delusions of her brother not caused by Ruin, but it's a lovely explanation). But this does give justification for Kelsier (who somehow can communicate to people via Connection to them, and possibly his connection to Ruin) being the one to whisper to Vin a few times, and also to pass a message to Spook.I actually can't remember if the outcome of spook's message (ie, it being read only by Marsh and Ruin) is alluded to at all in Hero of Ages, so even that might be another unecessary expansion by Sanderson.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Also, I just read that the Lord Ruler's arm bracers were apparently supposed to be hemalurgic spikes too (based on confirmation from Brandon, unless people are misunderstanding his responses, or unless they were transcribed incorrectly). Since those spikes were responsible for "his most dramatic effects", I wonder if that will ever be explained, since Rashek is basically irrelevant at this point in the story.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I finally forced myself to read Elantris and thankfully it wasn't awful....but it definitely wasn't great. The plot structure was a mess and the dialogue is just garbage. One dumb moment that stuck out was Raoden reading in a random book about an AonDor healing gone wrong, leaving a woman Hoed (for sure dude, the library of a dude not even interested in healing just so happens to have basically a medical journal article, written right before the fall of Elantris, in a world without the printing press to facilitate publishing something so mundane). And then later on, we learn that the wife from Dilaf's tragic backstory is that same woman! This is only one of several just-so coincidences in Elantris make the story worse, but I only bring it up because I saw the annotations for this--instead of Brandon reflecting on this negatively, he thinks it was totally cool

quote:

DILAF’S BACKSTORY

I hope that Dilaf’s explanations about his past are suitably creepy. I also hope they give some explanation. He is a man who betrayed his religion when he thought it would save the woman he loved–only to find himself, in turn, betrayed by the Elantrians. His wife became Hoed, and he himself burned her. This would have something of an effect on a man’s psyche, I think.

Now, recall that Elantris was at the height of its power when Dilaf took his wife in to be healed. I mentioned her earlier in the book, in a Raoden chapter. He found a story in one of his textbooks about a woman who was improperly-healed, and it turned her into what the Elantrians now are. This is Dilaf’s wife. (Go re-read Chapter Twenty-Five for the story.) I find this little item beautifully circular.

Anyway, we now have an explanation for Dilaf’s instability and his hatred. I really like how Dilaf, normatively, grows into being the prime villain for this book. He comes to it slowly, kind of stealthily, while the reader is focusing on Hrathen. Yet, Dilaf is there from the first Hrathen chapter, always dangerous, always trying to destroy Elantris, always making his own plans. I worked hard to bring about his rise to power in the book, and I hope that it worked. Puling off the Dilaf/Hrathen reversal was one of my main goals in the story.

I have no interest to hear from any of the characters of Elantris again, but I do hope he brings back the setting. There are interesting things he could do with the similarities between Dakhor and Hemalurgy (in so far as they relate to loving with souls to turn bodies into conduits for Investiture). Also I hope the Moon Sceptre from The Emperor's Soul comes back too--since it was apparently supposed to be a Rosetta Stone for Selish magic (stolen for Hoid), it has interesting possibilies for future selish magical technologies--if Scadrians are going to learn to travel the stars using the metallic arts, it would be interesting to see what the Selish can do with such a flexible and powerful magic once they discover the assembly language for programming the Dor.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Dec 28, 2018

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Gotta avoid mixing up Brandon’s many S words: shards, splinters (spren snd seons, which are splinters too!) and slivers.

He defines a sliver as someone who held the power of a shard and was expanded in the process. For Mistborn, this includes Rashek, Vin and Kelsier.

It seems like a lovely name that actually doesn’t make sense given what we know about the cosmere now, but that’s how it is.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

Wait, when did Kelsier get that power? What book is that from?

It's non essential, but it comes up in Mistborn Secret History. I know it's also mentioned offhandedly in one other place, too--maybe in one of the Mistborn Era 2 books? If so, that would have been a bigger shock at the time, since Arcanum Unbounded wasn't published until after Bands of Mourning (although I read it after Hero of Ages, so no surprise for me lol)

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Also Wayne missed a whole train robbery and attempted assassination because he was explicitly having sex with an amorphous doppelganger Kandra

Go re-read it, there was definitely no sex haha. Let's not get crazy here.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

Are you sure? I'm reasonably sure they were described as being naked

I thought MeLaan had her shirt off and Wayne was like "i needed a good snog"? I think the concept of casual sex is completely alien to Sanderson, and that getting to 2nd base on a train is risque and scandalous

edit: i was wrong. he used a different cringey word

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 11, 2019

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Torrannor posted:

And flammable material is certainly in lower supply in the non-Shinovar parts of Roshar than it is on the more Earth-like worlds (modern Scadrial, Nalthis, Sel).

This was only mentioned in the notes of Arcanum Unbounded, right? It seems like a pretty weird detail tbh--I don't think there's any mention of the dangers of fire in the books themselves (I could be wrong, though), and they all bring out lamps for the weeping. It seemed like he either had a future idea in mind when he through in that detail, or more likely, a reader mentioned a problem with chasm fiends to him.

The issue is with scaling laws. You can't just take a crab and scale it up to monstrous size--it's limbs couldn't support it. I think he believed this had been solved by the mentions of the mysterious spren that are seen around chasm fiends--probably some magical stuff to make them lighter, or stronger, than they should be. However, there's a more subtle issue with the chasm fiends that also affects the smaller creatures of roshar: oxygen. Arthropods (as we know them) perform oxygen/co2 exchange through spiracles, which are just openings in their bodies to a network of trachea tubes (although some land crabs might have more complex proto-lungs, i think?). This allows passive gas exchange directly with tissues, but only works over very small distances--it absolutely doesn't scale up. The only reason why there were some huge prehistoric insects is because the atmosphere used to be a lot more oxygen rich--this allows inefficient, simple respiratory systems to reach bigger sizes.

I suspect a nerd like me mentioned this to him, and he added that detail later to make his ecosystem slightly more believable

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

insider posted:

I think he is going to become something completely new. Spren freed from the orders basically. I just see it as how Sanderson did allomancers in 1st Era Mistborn vs 2nd Era Mistborn. He will essentially become the equivalent of "twinborn" in Stormlight Era 1 and they will become more important in the 2nd Era Stormlight as more people will bond 'dead' spren. This keeps the power levels down and provides more interesting combination of abilities.

I am very confident about this.

I completely agree. It's clear that Mayalaran is changing, but I don't think it's the Nahel bond as we know it. Here's my personal theory:

I think the Nahel bond is described as (or alluded to being?) a spren filling in cracks in a broken human soul, bonding the two together. Presumably severing the bond then tears away part of the spren along with their bearer, "killing" the spren in the process (speculation: this is related to hemalurgy). I don't think Adolin could conventionally bond a spren because he isn't broken. He doesn't struggle with mental illness. He even turned out pretty well, despite his family. Even if he was broken, I don't think that Adolin could be an Edgedancer, based on his personality vs. their oaths (but I could be wrong).

Mayalaran is clearly changing. She is broken, but she is reaching towards something more. Normally shardblades can be summoned with dead spren because the spren want to be a little alive again---I think Mayalaran is going further than that, since she is regaining consciousness and will. I think what is happening is the opposite of the Nahel bond, and Adolin is filling in the cracks in Maya's essence(?), and Maya herself is reaching towards something like the saying the words of an oath. Adolin's soul is already connected to Maya through the act of bonding, and he says as much in the first or second book. We know it's possible for a human to lose a bit of their soul without dying (in a few different ways), so this process might not even be as dangerous to Adolin as the Nahel bond is to spren.

Adolin has a Connection to Maya as well--he always treated her as a person, even without realizing it. This Connection has to be what is allowing Maya to change and maybe heal. Connection is able to confer surgebinding even without the Nahel bond (see: squires), so I suspect that Adolin could gain access to the surges in this way without a traditional bond. This could be a completely new manifestation of surgebinding, perhaps related to the third set of abilities that is even more esoteric than the Voidbindings mentioned by Khriss (but I havent read up on any theories about this specifically).

edit: I don't know if it's ever come up, but I can't shake the idea that the Nahel bond was inspired by kintsugi, the Japanese art of mending broken pottery with gold lacquer:

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 31, 2019

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Thanks for the replies, everyone

Infinite Karma posted:

I could see the spren bonding and order-specific oaths being more like "rules that spren follow when they grant power" more than "supernaturally-enforced laws of magic."

The relevance being that I could imagine Adolin bonding Mayalaran without actually being a very good Edgedancer, oath-wise, through a loophole of "Mayalaran owes him a solid, and bucks the rules because Adolin earned it."

Torrannor posted:

But spren can't "buck the rules". At least not without drastic consequences, as Syl found out when she still gave Kaladin her power even when he was violating his oaths.

I wish I could remember some of the quotes from the books about the founding of the knights radiant (and how surgebinding was granted differently before the 10 orders were established?). Presumably human-spren bonds must have been possible without any sorts of oaths before Honor took notice, so now that he's gone, I guess maybe that's the case again? Not to mention that Odium's Voidspren were clearly able to bond to humans (temporarily), too.

I don't think that spren bonded by oaths can entirely ignore the rules, but who knows what the rules are for dead spren?

One thing to consider, though--didn't Syl warn Kaladin about the danger of human surgebinders without oaths to guide them? After all, wasn't it surgebinding that caused the catalcysm on Ashyn?

Also, consider what a revived shardblade could be: a once-dead spren, with millennia of anger and impotent fury, brought back to life and consciousness without the restrictions and limitations of a bond to a mortal human, fully manifested in the physical realm. This could be as dangerous as one of the Unmade.

Leng posted:

Note that the "brokenness" thing is just an in-world theory though.

I'm betting on that it's an incomplete theory. It doesn't apply to everybody. Take Lopen for example.

This is a good point, I hadn't considered it. Similarly, Shallan bonding Pattern to some extent before she was "broken" is a big issue. https://wob.coppermind.net/events/175-oathbringer-houston-signing/#e8418

quote:

Questioner
How was Shallan able to bond with Pattern before she was broken?

Brandon Sanderson
She was open to him even before she went through a lot of that turmoil

Questioner
I thought everybody had to be broken in order to--

Brandon Sanderson
Well, that's their philosophy in-world. But I'm not going to say whether it's correct or wrong. I will imply that there are other means as well.

I feel like there has to be something huge we don't know here--it just seems strange that Pattern would bond Shallan, without oaths, to the extent that he would manifest as a shardblade. I think the Stormfather and Syl both say that manifesting like this is what opens them up to so much harm from humans, right? This is why the Stormfather refuses to become a blade for Dalinar. Unless the answer is that Shallan *did* swear oaths when she was younger, but she buried those memories too. On the other hand, the oaths might have some wiggle room--Wyndle (with a long sigh) manifested as a shard weapon for Lift before she had verbalized the third ideal.

Tunicate posted:

Its probably similar to mistborn, where you can Snap from any emotional extreme, but being in hellworld means not a lot of people get ultra happy.

The source for that is here

quote:

Suffice it to say that there are people who have Snapped because of intense joy or other emotions. It just doesn't happen as frequently and is more difficult to control.

Snapping does have some similarity to whatever predisposes one to spren bonds, but I'm starting to suspect that the similarity is at a higher level (ie, some spiritual realm nonsense Brandon hasn't figured out yet). Allomancy apparently has a "spiritual dna" origin that requires a catalyst to bring it out, but the Nahel bond depends on what attracts a spren, and not on ancestry. I'm not really sure how to square the two, yet. Also remember that Preservation was able to snap people through his power alone (via the mists), without any external trauma (there was the mist sickness, but I think that was caused as an after effect of snapping).

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Feb 2, 2019

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
And while I'm thinking about stuff I don't know:

1. I wonder what passion is. I hadn't realized that it was italicized when Ruin said it, too. This seems important:

quote:

Valhalla
Ruin and Odium, they both talked about their passion, and it was italicized both times. Would any other Shards talk about passion in that same italicized way?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes they would.

Valhalla
Would any of them not talk about it that way?

Brandon Sanderson
Yes they would. Excellent, good questions.

2. There's some weirdness about aluminum on Roshar. We know it can be soulcast, but is still valuable (Shallan's father gave her an aluminum necklace). I forget if the books stated who had an aluminum soulcaster, though. Regardless, this is weird for two reasons: in Oathbringer, Hoid brings aluminum sheets to line the room with the soulcasters, and no one recognizes the metal--maybe this can be explained as "only rich people have aluminum". But the weirder thing is that Taravangian mentions legends of a light, silver metal that falls from the sky and can block shardblades.

This answer seems to close the book on that, except it doesn't add up. There aren't legends about a metal that people can soulcast! Maybe the signing question was wrong, or Brandon misunderstood (or forgot, if his continuity guy wasnt there). Or maybe the reference to the Aluminum necklace is really just an error. But something doesn't add up! The only reason I focus on it is because the power of Shards also seems to condense into silvery metal, and who knows if Honor's shattered power condensed somewhere...

3. On the topic of silvery metal: while shopping in Celebrant, Kaladin comes across that long, thin silvery chain that costs a fortune. It's definitely not aluminum, it can't be a shard weapon (since it's still a weapon) and it's rare. Either it's invested someone, or its related to some other manifestation of investiture (like the Dawn shards), or i dunno...it's made from Dragonsteel?

There's really nothing to go on, here, except that Brandon is clearly screaming that this is gonna be related to something important

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Taffer posted:

There was one prominent instance in the finale of book 1 of Stormlight. Reading pronounced Sadeas completely differently from how it had been pronounced the entire book and it confused me enough that I thought I had missed a chapter introducing a character or something. There are probably other instances, but that's the only one that stands out to me.

I noticed that Michael Kramer mispronounces or just misreads names a bunch of times, but he's a pro so even the mistakes are read with the same confidence as everything else, and it ends up fine.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Lift is an anime character spouting dumb internet poo poo and should be quietly sidelined, thank's

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Torrannor posted:

It's apparently the bonding itself. Those who bond a shardblade get light eyes permanently, which is the reason why darkeyes get promoted to high ranking lighteyes upon doing so.

I don't think this is right? I think his eyes still turn from blue back to the original color after a few hours.

There's a quote from Brandon about the reason for the change:

quote:

It is just kind of the way that the changes the Stormlight is making the body and certain people are already descended from people who had repeated, over time, changes by the body which stopped physically... That's not to say that all lighteyes that's where they came from. There are some that are natural mutations.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Add another year of me waiting for the graphic audio release of it.

I just listened to a sample and this is unlistenable

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Taffer posted:

I actually really like audiobooks that have different actors for different characters, or at least different POV's (I've only found one that did this, Hyperion), but music and sound effects really don't fit the format at all, IMO. The power of books is how they activate your imagination, and filling that space with half-baked sounds and music takes away all that strength.

Yeah, this. I'm only listening to audiobooks because they work better with my schedule than reading a lot of the time, and the strength of the writing and the voice actor's delivery is what carries it. It also has the unexpected benefit of making certain parts of the text more poignant due to hearing them spoken out loud with emotion rather than in my head. But anything that distracts from the text kills it for me. Same reason why I refuse to listen to any sort of podcast / "radio show" that is overproduced--I don't care that you carefully recorded 10 hours of a dripping faucet to overlay your podcast on the water in Flint Michigan, it's dumb distracting bullshit.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Fezz posted:

The shardblade guards that show up when Renarin starts his plate and blade training seem to be aluminum. That's the only appearance of aluminum on Roshar that I can remember.

The shardblade guards seem to be something different--they somehow mold or change to fit the shape of the blades (since every shardblade is different). It's unclear what they are. I think aluminum resists the magical cutting of shardblades, but not the physical cutting of an incredibly sharp, unbreakably hard blade.

The mentions of aluminum in stormlight I remember:
-There are aluminum soulcasters out there (unclear who has them), but it can't be soulcast (or at least it would be very, very hard)
-Shallan's aluminum necklace
-Hoid brought aluminum sheets

Taravangian mentions that people say there's a light metal that falls from the sky that can supposedly blocks shardblades. At first I assumed this was aluminum, but reading the series a second time made it clear that this made no sense, as there is a robust aluminum economy. I wonder if this is related to a god metal, and if maybe it's what the blade guards are made from?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

seaborgium posted:

God metals would be native to the planet. Aluminum not being trapped in bauxite(it's ore) would be possible in a meteorite, and would be a lot easier to work with so the sky metal is probably that. I honestly have no idea what the shardguards would be.

There's no reason I see why there couldn't be god metal in orbit, especially since there's something weird about the moons of roshar. But I would think that the effects of shardblades on aluminum would be known on Roshar, since while aluminum is expensive, it can still be manufactured by soulcasting and so can't be *that* rare. Even more, it would have to be known well enough that someone would identify the metal in the meteorites simply because it couldn't be soulcast.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

Chulls are greatshells, too! Instead of a dairy industry they get gems from their "cattle". Also the gemhearts from greatshells aren't broken into small currency, they're cut and used for soul casting because larger gems can soulcast larger amounts and are less likely to break.

It's not an infusion of currency into the economy but raw materials.

Actually both can be true—Jasnah mentions that broken soul caster gemstones can be cut into multiple smaller gemstones later, so presumably broken soulcasting emeralds will get cut into a lot of smaller gems for fabrials or spheres

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Jorenko posted:

Rear cover summary is up on Amazon!

After forming a coalition of human resistance against the enemy invasion, Dalinar Kholin and his Knights Radiant have spent a year fighting a protracted, brutal war. Neither side has gained an advantage.

Now, as new technological discoveries begin to change the face of the war, the enemy prepares a bold and dangerous operation. The arms race that follows will challenge the very core of the Radiant ideals, and potentially reveal the secrets of the ancient tower that was once the heart of their strength.

yes. Yes.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I suspect having people assist with continuity and the universe help, because he seems to be the perfect opposite of GRRM. I'm actually floored by that tweet, that is absolutely insane speed. I was thinking the other day about how his current plan for finishing the series can't possibly work out because everything is only getting more and more intertwined between the novels, but holy poo poo maybe not---maybe he can pull it off, as long as he doesn't start too many new series every year.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Some people deal with writers block by blaming the NFL or moving to a new house, and don't write for years. Sanderson just writes more books, seemingly for fun at this point

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

eke out posted:

One thing I legit wonder is how much the people knew beforehand about which Shards they were picking up and their Intents -- like did Tanavast say "Yep I think I'll pick up Honor" or was it just "We'll all see what happens when we do this"?

The naming confusion would make even more sense in-universe if all they had to go off was what the person who picked it up told them and how that person behaves, what with Rayse telling everyone he's Passion and everyone else being like "Uh no that guy is basically pure hate."

there's probably a wob somewhere about this

Yeah, there are:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/175/#e8394

quote:

Paladin Brewer
Was it necessary that Adonalsium split into sixteen Shards, or was it happenstance?

Brandon Sanderson
I will RAFO that one.

Paladin Brewer
Would the number or intents have been different, if there were more or less people?

Brandon Sanderson
That's all wrapped up in that RAFO. Let's say it's conceivable that the split could have happened in different ways.

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/324/#e9363

quote:

Questioner
Shards. We started with fairly obvious ones, magic wise. Trying to keep this spoiler free, so: Ruin, Preservation, this kind of thing. Then we get the weird ones. Why do we have Shards that can only exist in the mind of a sentient creature? ...Like the concept of Honor can only be done when it's carried out, essentially, by a sentient creature.

Brandon Sanderson
So when I split Adonalsium I said, "I'm going to take aspects of Adonalsium's nature." And this involves personality to me. So the Shattering of Adonalsium was primal forces attached to certain aspects of personality. And so I view every one of them this way. And when I wrote Mistborn we had Ruin and Preservation. They are the primal forces of entropy and whatever you call the opposite, staying-the-same-ism-y. Like, you've got these two contrasts, between things changing and things not changing. And then humans do have a part, there's a personality. Ruin is a charged term for something that actually is the way that life exists. And Preservation is a charged term for stasis, for staying the same. And those are the personality aspects, and the way they are viewed by people and by the entity that was Adonalsium.
So I view this for all of them. Like, Honor is the sense of being bound by rules, even when those rules, you wouldn't have to be bound by. And there's this sense that that is noble, that's the honor aspect to it, but there's also something not honorable about Honor if taken from the other direction. So a lot of them do kind of have this both-- cultural component, I would say, that is trying to represent something that is also natural. And not all of them are gonna have a 100% balance between those two things, I would say, because there's only so many fundamental laws of the universe that I can ascribe personalities to in that way. 
So I find Honor very interesting, but I find Autonomy a very interesting one for the exact same reason. What does autonomy mean? We attach a lot to it, but what is the actual, if you get rid of the charged terms, what does it mean? And this is where you end up with things like Odium claiming "I am all emotion." Rather than-- But then there's a charged term for it that is associated with this Shard. I'm not going to tell you whether he's right or not, but he has an argument. 

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Uhhh ok

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Hoid is also the "bearer of the First Gem" and is known as topaz (at least to some) because of it, so that seems pretty significant too

edit:

Hoid also played a (I think unnamed?) role in The Emperor's Soul, since he wanted to get the Moon Scepter. Sanderson says that it's the Rosetta stone for Selish investiture, so if he got access to it (or at least got to read it) then presumably that knowledge itself is more power.

Slanderer fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 12, 2020

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
I'm willing to bet that the Excisors used to create the unsealed metalminds, including the bands of mourning involve hemalurgy. But so little is known about the mechanics of unsealed metalminds (particuarly how someone who is not a nicrosil ferring can tap into the stored investiture to begin with) that it's hard to speculate further

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
Elantris was weird and not great, and the Hoed made be uncomfortable. The protagonist was Too Perfect half the time, and the other half of the time he was Kaladin.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

It definitely seems weird there's a set number like a switch is flipped, it seems like there should be a range

or a spectrum :v:

I think there's a WoB saying that the breaths required for each Heightening aren't as as black and white as described in Warbreaker--the abilities of each heightening should begin to manifest before you reach the heightening itself. Also complicating things is the fact that not all breaths are equal--I recall at least one mention of this in Warbreaker when Siri is described as having a "strong" breath. One thing I'm not sure about is whether or not breaths are pooled within the Awakener or continue to exist as distinct chunks of investiture (which only really matters when it comes to how many breaths it takes to Awaken things, depending on individual breath strength).

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Tunicate posted:

there's that time vasher does that weird poo poo and steal's a kid's memories in WB

Looking back at that scene, i think he had her remove her own memories

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Thanks. Finally got to start downloading this, I was hitting cloudflare errors all morning. Now it's very, very slowly downloading lol

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

101 posted:

Was that weird bug creature from Edgedancer Aimian or was that something else?

That was a Dysian Aimian. In Way of Kings, there's an interlude from Axies the Collector who is a Siah Aimian.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Avalerion posted:

This one actually doesn't get explained within the trilogy... you'll want to pick up secret history when you are done with it mistborn though!

Spoilers for Secret History:

I still hate the Kelsier's spirit arc. Brandon left "hints" in the original books but he clearly hadn't fully thought this stuff through, and it shows--it's a mess of "ok THIS mist ghost or vision or voice was Kelsier or Leras, but ok this one 5 minutes later was Ati, and then ok ok this one was Leras with an assist by Kelsier, and then this one was Kelsier until Ruin hip checked him and took his place real quick". None of the motivations of any of those 3 in this context ever made sense as explained in Secret History, and it's especially clear if you read Secret History immediately after marathoning the trilogy. Like I get that he wanted to tie up loose ends and give the fans a look behind the curtain, but either his Fact Check Force was on holiday, or he really was just backed into the corner by having written the Trilogy without having plotted out Kelsier's actions to see if they made sense. This sort of thing is common with prequels, but it just feels especially bad here for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
i don't mind misborn era 1, even if it felt a little YA and showed immaturity as a writer. elantris is still a slog though, even if parts are interesting--especially since it feels like he reused the characters from it in other books, they just feel familiar lol