Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mallamp posted:

It's pretty sick scene don't you think? Actually sickest of all scenes he has written (I've read all his books) and then the fact that it was in YA book.
Seriously, anyone else wasn't disturbed? Mother clinging to freaking baby bones? In YA book? Just another day at the Goonlandia?
I don't know maybe it's not as disgusting if you don't have children yet, but I have, and it just made me hate the whole book too much to continue.

I have children and it was a truly horrible scene that made my gut churn, but that was it's point. I still read the whole book in two days anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mystes posted:

I'm apparently the only person in the world who thought this but I think that given Lightsong's dialogue being what it was, the audiobook did a good job of making his character seem plausible, even if that character wasn't someone I would want to spend every day of my life being forced to listen to.

I thought they got his voice down right as well. Not so much most other characters.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That hardcover is just so awesomely huge that I had to order it rather than the ebook.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I am rereading Warbreaker and Lightsong's hilarious, this made me laugh out loud:

quote:

She was still reclining on her couch. “Lightsong?” she asked with a frown.

“I returned because I just heard that one of your servants was killed in the attack.”

“Ah, yes,” she said. “The poor man. What a terrible occurrence. I’m sure he’s found his blessings in heaven.”

“Funny, how they’re always in the last place you consider looking,” Lightsong said. “Tell me, how did the murder happen?”

But I also like Andersons dad humor, maybe it's a dad thing.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Don't the men wipe their asses, then?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Reading Calamity just now and I'm wondering, is it just me who imagines Prof as looking like a tall and muscular version of Dr. WIly from Megaman? That's what I see in my head.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

The Mistborn novels would be really cool as an HBO show I think, the dystopian ash covered world would be pretty cool on screen, and inquisitors.

But so would the stormlight novels. Really either of them would be fine but the important thing is they'd have to be game of thrones style one season worth of episodes per book.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Evil Fluffy posted:

A cover of her facing down a Thunderclast would be far better than what was shown.

I thought it was the GOP elephant. Isn't this the political cartoons thread?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

mewse posted:

I will be skipping the sample chapters in preference for the full book but it's pretty amazing they're going to release 33 chapters

I got the 2nd book in physical form and it's loving huge (think its pretty cool), this one is even longer based on the page count.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm looking forward to Kaladin going home as well.

I'm so tired of waiting for new books I started listening to wheel of time audiobook #1 last night.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Reading the preview chapters and is it only me who sees this?

“Well,” Navani said. “The only one missing is your spren, Dalinar. If he’s going to—”

A strong breeze struck the top of the tower, carrying with it the scent of recent rainfall, of wet stone and broken branches. Navani gasped, pulling against Dalinar.

A presence emerged in the sky. The Stormfather encompassed everything, a face that stretched to both horizons, regarding the men imperiously. The air became strangely still, and everything but the tower’s top seemed to fade. It was as if they had slipped into a place outside of time itself.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I did it, went through the entire wheel of time series again, to keep me occupied until this book came out, worked out nearly perfect.

Finished Amol this weekend but I ordered the book from amazon.co.uk so delivery isn't estimated until friday or next monday :(

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Damnit I expect at least 1000+ page tome when I get a stormlight book. Anything else is a ripoff!

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've understood that Sanderson is working towards some kind of cosmere wide culmination of all his books in the stormlight saga so I've been expecting a lot of world crossing stuff myself.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Captain Monkey posted:

haha the horse's name is also dagger.. haha oh man what a dumb mistake... epic faile.

Faile is bad, most of WoT is pretty bad, especially the writing of the women.

Actually on my second read of WOT, I found I liked Nynaeve most of the time. *tugs braid*

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Pash posted:

Ya, Jordan was not great at writing women (I would say he was pretty bad at it...). It was, however, a step in the right direction by actually having their be women main characters that were very important for a variety of reasons. I think the only female character I genuinely liked without reservation in the series was Verin.

Oh yeah I have to agree with the Verin stuff, she ruled.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I got the impression Ruin had corrupted him, at least later on, and that was his "excuse" for being like he was (huge massive bastard).

Still even from the start it seems he was a racist rear end in a top hat who used his powers to make the world incredibly worse in pointless ways just to satisfy his sadism and created a system of slavery, rape and murder that lasted a thousand years.

I really have trouble with the part were Vin thanks the lord ruler in his head, given how evil he was. I really never came around to seeing him as a tragic or remotely heroic figure, I got the impression the books kinda wanted to try for that angle myself, but I refused to follow along. Is this just me?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just don't see him as an end justifying the means kind of guy. Because he didn't need to make the world into a sadist murder nightmare for a thousand years to accomplish what he wanted, he just did that out of pure malevolence and even if he had defeated Ruin, I don't think he would just stop with pointless hellworld society and it would just keep going on with him as ruler, perhaps without the ash this time.

He is irredeemable to me for the society he set up because there was no justification for doing so.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Been reading alloy of law books again and I am just wondering, is it just me who sees Wax exactly like Timothy Olyphant? It's rare that I can put a real face on a book character like that. Like lifted wholesale out of Deadwood.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Nightblood is one of the most invested thing aside from a full shard, so any single shard is above Nightblood in terms of power.

quote:

Questioner
Is Nightblood a minor Shard?

Brandon Sanderson
Nightblood is one of the most heavily Invested things in the cosmere that is not a Shard.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I can't say I saw Keliser as a sociopath, just a man that was very broken by life.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

That's exactly what I felt reading that part too. And spiteful would be the best description IMO for his whole world.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Slanderer posted:

Elantris was weird and not great, and the Hoed made be uncomfortable. The protagonist was Too Perfect half the time, and the other half of the time he was Kaladin.

The hoed and all that stuff made me uncomfortable too, but in a way I thought was good. Not a great book but it had some real grimdark potential.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Warbreaker wasn't good per sé but it was interesting and I really wanna know how it played out and how nightblood ended up where he did. Same thing really with Elantris, I think they both should get sequels, now that he is a lot better as a writer to boot.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

TheMadMilkman posted:

I will remember those who have been forgotten. I will listen to those who have been ignored.

Like Maya for instance.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Subvisual Haze posted:

It appears so at first glance, but ultimately we learned almost nothing that wasn't already stated or easily inferred from Warbreaker (Fused and Heralds operate on similar principles to Returned and Lifeless). If you haven't read Warbreaker you'll understand very little of what is said though. It's kind of a weird chapter that doesn't really convey a lot of actually new information.

I didn't know that the returned were not the same person that died, or that the same held true for anyone similar, like Kelsier or Szeth (I didn't even know he died long enough for that), I thought the power just helped the soul to keep clinging on to the cognitive realm and not to move on, but apparently the soul fucks off anyway and the shape it leaves is filled with power before the shape disappears. Basically they're just a copy now.

The name cognitive shadow implied a copy and not the original though, but I got the impression it wasn't a copy from the book where Kelsier went through the process, but of course there is no reason the process should make that obvious.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Torrannor posted:

Taldain doesn't seem suitable for life of any kind, yet there are humans and animals and plants on that world. The humans are presumably descended from Yolenese survivors (like everybody but the Scadrians), did Autonomy "terraform" the planet to be liveable by those humans? Did Adonalsium make it inhabitable to humans, and it was settled before the Shattering?.

Bit OT but Taldain as someone interested in astronomy, is a planet / setup that definitely screams intelligent design. The blue-white super giant star that Taldain orbits, it's not at all a stable setup, there is no chance whatsoever that natural life could have time to evolve on such a world before the star went through it's life cycle (about 10 million years). It would go so fast through it's life cycle and it's luminosity would increase as it went older that the planet would probably only be in the goldilocks zone for a very short time, no idea how long but not long enough for even simple life to evolve. That planet will definitely need divine intervention to keep on being habitable.

BTW this will happen to the earth too as the sun ages, we got 500-700 million years at the most and the sun was 30% dimmer when life arose on earth.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Got my delivery notification now, ROW is being shipped today. Hopefully arrives early next week. Took me a bit longer to get it since I refuse to use amazon except direst of circumstances and prefer to support more local businesses.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I've finally started reading ROW but I am taking it slower than most and will probably take a week to finish. At chapter 33 so far and one theory I current have about Shallan is that dead-eye cryptic we saw earlier, that was Shallans previous spren, she had another spren before Pattern and she betrayed her oaths and killed it, that's her secret. That's my fan theory on that little part.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Finished ROW this morning, holy poo poo. My thoughts

-I was right about shallan and that dead eye radiant! Woo!

-loving finally Kaladin, I wonder if it was really Tien. I think it was.

-gently caress youuuu Moash

-Nooo kelsier don't be a bad guy :(

-gently caress yeaaaah Nightblood!

-Get screwed Rayse!

-drat no, no no, Taravangian this is bad

-Hoid, god damnit drat I hope you got an off-site backup somewhere.

-You aren't as clever as you think Cultivation, you've probably made things worse.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Proteus Jones posted:

Eh, I kind of liked those. Plus it gave us how this whole poo poo-show kicked off, with Venli being involved and all

Hopefully though, less of that in the next book. I feel the next book needs to be more tightly edited.

EDIT:
Also on the whole Ghostblood issue
Goddamnit you assholes, why so antagonistic towards each all the time? Like fucks sake this seems like something that could be easily solved if people just sat down and talked to each other honestly for 5 minutes. You've insulted us, this means war? That's the talk and thinking style of an incompetent villain, Mraize. Feels like they could have gone about things in a far less antagonistic manner and probably gotten a lot more in return and faster to boot.

His Divine Shadow fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 30, 2020

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm worried about that too. He needs someone to reign him in to make the books flow better and cut out the deadwood.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

From RoW undertext:
"Midius once told me … told me we could use Investiture … to enhance our minds, our memories, so we wouldn’t forget so much."

Guess that explains why Hoid hasn't gone insane/senile like the others. But it has a terrible weakness as we found out. I do wonder then, if it's possible to actually make a memory backup / copy so you could protect your memories from manipulation, would sealing such a backup in aluminum work to protect it?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

RC Cola posted:

He might have copperminds and the breaths are a misdirection.

If so, I wonder if you can protect a coppermind from external interference by wrapping it in aluminum? Would be kinda funny if you could protect your memories by wrapping it in foil.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I think, therefore I am Sazed

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I would throw in Warbreaker before stormlight personally, also an early book, rough like Elantris. But IMO worthwhile to read.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm wondering if two shards are more powerful than one shard or not. Because the book said something about that, something like all shards being essentially infinite in power so combining or not didn't matter to the overall power level, which was why odium was happy not combining and remaining itself. So maube what combining changes are the properties of the shards instead of the raw power. The new shard seem to have both the old magic systems, but if they are all infinte, still equal in power.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Bruceski posted:

I think the relation is more that (Stormlight/Elantris spoilers) in Elantris the problems come from the flow of power being blocked. People were set to receive it but it wasn't coming so they got side effects that were viewed as a disease. The Deadeyes are spren who are set to receive power from their oathbond, but that was blocked by the recreance and the result was also seen as an incurable affliction. Not a fundamental change to the system, people can still bond spren, but a mass-severing of the bonds that existed at the time. Similar effect, similar cause on a local scale, not the same cause on a global one.

Was it blocked by the recreance though? That might just be when it was first observed. I understood the change to the rules might have been related to the false desolation and the imprisonment of Ba-Ado-Mishram, which AFAIK occured before the recreance, and contributed to the recreance happening.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I just reread the sequence where Taravangian kills Rayse and it says Tarvangian was killed, his connection to the physical realm was severed just before he ascended (he felt a snap, I assume that's what it was). Isn't that rather a big deal? The ideal vessel we learned in Mistborn secrets should have connection to all three realms, this was why Kelsier was not nearly as powerful as Ruin when trying to fight him. The book was quite specific about Kelsier being a cognitive shadow was suboptimal for a shard vessel. Well it seems like the same thing just happened here. It wasn't an alive Taravangian that ascended but his spirit/cognitive shadow only. This means this odium shouldn't be as powerful as a regular shard. Or did I mis-read the whole bit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

Tunicate posted:

I think he was only mostly dead - they make a point about how we didn't see his corpse.

You know I just remembered that myself so yeah you're right.