Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

New TWoK item of interest: (Spoilers through WoR or Oathbringer, I guess) Dalinar thinks "Life before death" to himself during a battle and the Thrill immediately flees. So he was going Radiant way before I thought; in fact, depending on how you count, he might be the most advanced right now -- Kaladin has a stronger spren bond but has said no oaths yet, and Shallan hasn't even been approached by Pattern yet.

Oathbringer spoilers:You're forgetting Jasnah, who we know for sure was 4th ideal by Thaylen Field and probably at that point for the majority of her on screen time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Taffer posted:

I don't buy this, Dalinar wasn't embodying any ideals before Gavilars death except for bloodlust. I don't think he was getting any special attention from the Stormfather or any other spren until after Gavilars death and after his visit to Cultivation. I think it's just meant to be one of those moments that calls out what a badass soldier he is, not something magical.

We know from the "Kaladin is good with a spear because he will be good with a spear" WOB that Radiant abilities/benefits can predate the bond due to the Spiritual Realm, so that could be the cause of things like Dalinar healing or Shallan illusioning before they should be able to.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

But I still hate "I'm terrified"! It doesn't work! If that's Second, to make "I killed my father" Third and giving her a living Blade in time to unlock Urithiru, that makes "I killed my mother" Fourth. Which earns her Plate. And, as Jasnah quite conspicuously takes time to point out, Shallan has no Plate.

Oathbringer spoilers:Radiant (who is later revealed to be the real physical Shallan who is Illuminating a fake Shallan because that girl is messed up) is wearing Plate at the Battle of Thaylen Field. Her and Jasnah both are 4th Ideal and trying to hide it at the end of Oathbringer.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

pik_d posted:

Oathbringer

At the beginning of the battle Shallan is clearly POVing, and Radiant has Shardplate. At the end of the fight Radiant is the physically real one but there is no mention of Shardplate. Brandon is being really sneaky.

True, but there's also this bit earlier in Oathbringer that I think sets it up:

Oathbringer Chapter 15 posted:

He grinned. “You said that Jasnah was a Radiant too. Women, gaining Shardblades. It’s weird, but it’s not like we can ignore it. What about Plate? Do you have that hidden somewhere too?”

“Not that I know of,” she said. Her heart was beating quickly, her skin growing cold, her muscles tense. She fought against the sensation. “I don’t know where Plate comes from.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

pik_d posted:

Edit: Brandon mentioned about Secret Project 5, that some people have guessed it correctly, so I'm making big eyes at a Sixth of the Dusk sequel.

He shared a reading from that a while ago so I don't think it'd count as a secret.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

The progression of Oathbringer is all over the place. Definitely lesser of a read than Words of Radiance, but it's still very good.

Nah he doesn't have Progression, he has Adhesion and Tension.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
I heard they're nerfing Bondsmiths for being too OP in 5.0.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

The downside is that it seems like it'd also lend itself to a failure spiral; if I'm doing badly on a fight, my Stormlight will get depleted and I won't have the option to do anything that'd stop me from doing badly.

Press X to swear Fourth Ideal.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Torrannor posted:

Hey, I never thought about this, but you make a great point. Adolin might be the one forming a reverse-Nahel bond with the traumatized Mayalaran, repairing the part of her spirit web that's damaged. Genius, DarkHorse!

Future StormlightCan’t wait for Maya to pull Adolin into the Cognitive Realm to smack things with in book 5.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Torrannor posted:

That's still a map of Roshar.

Look at this instead:

So you can see the Sea of Lost Sights corresponds to Eastern Roshar.

I think common speculation is that the Expanse of the Vapors leads to Scadrial, and I can't remember whether fandom came to any conclusion about the other directions.

So Emberdark could still be the term for the void between planets in the Cosmere.

General future Cosmere: Vapors is Scadrial, Density is Sel, the Expanse of Vibrance hidden behind that Shadesmar label is Nalthis. The only unconfirmed expanse is Broken Sky, but the popular fan theory for that is Threnody.

The chapters from Secret Project 5 were cool, but I still feel like it cheapens the Secret Project label a bit to throw it on something we knew he was writing and have already had readings from before.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

pik_d posted:

Scadrial - I feel like you're being arbitrary by trying to use Investiture to achieve agelessness and just ignoring that the Lord Ruler used Atium compounding? And if storing Investiture would have the benefit you think, the way to do it would be to be a Nicrosil Compounder and do it that way.

Scadrial/General Cosmere Mechanics They're also forgetting bendalloy and cadmium Allomancy shenanigans which is how at least one previously mentioned character is probably doing it.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Brandon Sanderson just bolting upright in bed right now, all “Someone somewhere called one of my magic systems simple! I must write another fifteen interactions on weird corner cases and also two novels!”

Now voidbinding is going to be even more esoteric whenever it shows up.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer
We already have a CCU, the Graphic Audios are a movie in your mind!

Also Brandon would probably get burnt out desperately trying to prevent Hollywood from whitening the Stormlight cast.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Then, I will be free of the grip of Sanderson.

Every time someone says this it makes an additional secret project spring fully formed into the world.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Well. I'm on the ground floor now that I've caught up. Where do I go to go deeper?

Get really high and join the 17th Shard forums or discord to find out (dumb Stormlight future theory I don't personally subscribe to) no one physically interacts with the Davar brothers on screen because they're all illusions and "Shallan" has actually been Chana lightweaving her way through a breakdown about killing her daughter this whole time.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, full immersion on the (Stormlight through SA5 prologue) Shallan is Chana's daughter theory:

[*] A Herald dies on the night of Gavilar's assassination. It can't be Taln (already dead), Jezrien, Nale, Shalash, Kalak (attending the party), Ishar (busy as God-King of the Tukari), or Battar (member of Diagram, location accounted for even if the readers don't know it). That only leaves Chana, Vedel, or Paliah, so we can say for certain that a female Herald died on the night of Gavilar's assassination.

Full Stormlight spoilers Someone claims that Brandon signed their book and said Paliah was an old woman Shallan saw on screen in Karbranth, so if that's true it can't be her either, but it's disputed since they never provided a picture of that signature.

And then there's also the fan theory that Vedel the Healer herald madness inverted into Liss the Assasin, which would leave only Chana.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Rhythm of War I’m completely bought in now. It would make way too much sense. Especially considering how, in WoR, she just somehow magically knows she had a Shardblade at her disposal. No training. No gifting of the blade to her. It just shows up. What kind of power is that? The power of a daughter of a Herald.

RoW You know what that was now, she was using Testament.

Ojjeorago fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Apr 17, 2024

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Torrannor posted:

That's my read, yes. What else could it be?

Full Stormlight spoilers Especially since other kinds of spren are much more reluctant to bond humans at all. Yet the Cryptics have decided to sacrifice as many of their number as necessary to have one of them bonded to Shallan. At this point, what else but the Herald daughter theory would make sense of this extremely odd behavior?

Full Stormlight We still have that "There was an Unmade involved with the Davars" thing that's unresolved, so clearly it's because Shallan is actually Ba-Ado-Mishram who wiped her own identity and connection to escape imprisonment.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

big mean giraffe posted:

WoBs confirmed long ago that Chana is Shallan's birth mother and Lin is the father

Are you talking about this WoB? Stormlight future That confirms it was her birth mother, but nothing about that being Chana.

Tunicate posted:

That doesnt preclude Shallan being a very real biological daughter who is now dead and being impersonated.

Stormlight future Well that solves it, Shallan is the Kandra worldhopper.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

CapnAndy posted:

We don't know how Invested the Heralds are without their Honorblades. Hell, we don't even know how Invested they are with their Honorblades, and it seems like nobody on Roshar can maintain permanent Investiture because the Light always wears out.

Stormlight We know that the Heralds got their Stormlight directly from Honor, like how Odium gives the Fused Voidlight, and based on all the poo poo Ishar pulled at the end of RoW it seems like that's still working? So they have essentially infinite investiture, just no powers to use it without either taking back their blades or forming a Nahel bond (or both lol Nale).

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Mordiceius posted:

UNITE THEM :qq:

The rest of the thread waiting for you to get here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

Gary’s Answer

Mordiceius posted:

I can know a detail without understanding how we get to that point or how it happens.

Putting the journey before the destination? I've never heard of such a thing.