Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010
Speaking of Sanderson writing about relationships, new (non-cosmere) novella comes out today.

Perfect State

quote:

God-Emperor Kairominas is lord of all he surveys. He has defeated all foes, has united the entire world beneath his rule, and has mastered the arcane arts. He spends his time sparring with his nemesis, who keeps trying to invade Kai’s world.

Except for today. Today, Kai has to go on a date.

Forces have conspired to require him to meet with his equal—a woman from another world who has achieved just as much as he has. What happens when the most important man in the world is forced to have dinner with the most important woman in the world?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

Strumpy posted:

If I ranked them with Harry Potter being at 1 and asofai being 10, I think I would put storm light right in the middle at 5. It's no where near as gritty, but the story is more complex with deeper motivations for characters and a more interesting story structure (interleaved flashbacks that slowly reveal character backstory, as well as often being thematically suited to the current time events).

If you've read wot I'd say that would be a 6, maybe.

I don't mind my gritty fantasy, but sometimes I want something a bit lighter that feels like it's going somewhere. That's what storm light is to me.

I would agree with it being about even with Wheel of Time in grittiness, with WoT being slightly ahead.

Raimondo
Apr 29, 2010

Taffer posted:

Was Edgedancer edited post-release? I'm going through it as part of my re-read right now, and the narrators voice sounds slightly different, and there seem to be way fewer instances of "awesomeness" than I remember from last time. Overall the annoying factor seems way reduced, but I'm not sure if it's my imagination.

I felt the same way with the Szeth Prologue from WoK. On my first read it felt over explainy like a video game tutorial on how lashings work as he goes through the level to the boss fight. This time I barely noticed that.

Same with Edgedancer, did not feel awkward the same way I remember when I first read it.