Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
This just made me realize something about the Cosmere. Full spoilers for all released books so far: I like that villains basically never overstay their welcome. The Lord ruler just works as a complex (but still unquestionably evil) character because he dies in the first book. Ruin is getting built up properly over Well of Ascension, and then gets dealt with in Hero of Ages. Sadeas bites it when the scope clearly grows beyond petty "realist" power politics in the vein of GoT, and moves into the proper "epic high fantasy" direction. Original Odium gets replaced by a much more scary version in book 4! Sure, Autonomy is still around after The Lost Metal, but she hasn't really been the focus of the books.

The Odium thing is genius, really. It's still the shard of hatred, but Taravodium is probably a lot more clever, and will at least at first not be as invested in just destroying what he can have as Rayse was. The overarching villain somehow both stays the same and changes a lot. I'm really exciting to see how Taravodium shakes out. And you have the hints about the Roshar/Scadrial cold (?) war going on in the future, and who is driving this? Freed Taravodium? Ruin-dominated Sazed? What's going on??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

I well remember your reaction to that particular scene!

Here of Ages is soooo good!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Scadrial and especially Roshar would be great for a video game. Ten orders = ten classes, you surely can make a great RPG set on Roshar.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I am bordering on 50% done with HoA. What else do I need to read before Rhythm of War? Warbreaker, Dawnshard. Anything else?

That's it. You can read the rest after Rhythm of War, at most the worlds of White Sand or Shadows for Silence in the Forests of Hell get some Easter Egg like mentions.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I finished Warbreaker...

• 4/5 Enjoyable story. Good world/universe building.
  • Wish it explained how Nightblood ended up in Roshar. Oh well.
  • I assume some other characters will also appear in Stormlight. (I think Azure is one of them since she's looking for Nightblood.)
  • This book has many twists and turns, which makes it very enjoyable to read.
  • "The easiest way to hide something is by hiding it in plain sight" - Vasher probably.

It's Dawnshard time. Then, Rhythm of War. I think I will save Mistborn Era 2 and Mistborn: SH for after RoW unless there are major easter-eggs hidden in them that will pop up in RoW. I'm open to suggestions.

In general, I would recommend reading Rhythm of War before Mistborn Era 2 (specifically The Lost Metal), for a similar reason I'd recommend reading Warbreaker before Words of Radiance.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

RoW- Chapter 9

Warbreaker’s, Mistborn’s, and White Sands’s worlds mentioned!!! I haven’t read White Sand as that is on tap before I read Mistborn Era 2, but it’s all starting to come together.

It really is coming together in this book. I also really appreciate the artifabrians discovering that mixing fabrials with certain metals produces different effects. Navani would probably kill for the metallic arts lore that is common knowledge among the nobles of the Final Empire.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

PROGRESS!

The Heralds & Voidbringers/Fused - I don't know if I'm fully grasping the details that were given. I'm sure that's by intention. I think I get the how, but not sure I get the why. Again, probably intentional. So please correct me if I'm wrong in this.

Currently how I understand it:
- The term Voidbringers seems somewhat interchangeable with Fused. Sure, the Listeners/Parshendi/Parshmen make up the Voidbringer army, but they aren't themselves Voidbringers. The Fused are the real Voidbringers.
- Storm Form = Fused? Was Eshonai a Fused when she took Storm Form?
- The Fused respawn when they "die." Cognitive Shadows? The "spren" that turn into Fused are ancient Listener souls?
- The Fused souls can get trapped - somewhere - Damnation? I think the Arcanum Unbounded referred to this as another planet in the system?
- But the Fused souls only get trapped their if there is a Herald to be tortured? Or something?
- When all the Fused are trapped in Damnation, all the Heralds have to "die" to go to Damnation to get tortured?
- As soon as a Herald breaks from torture, a Desolation begins.

What I'm confused about :
- If none of the Heralds have "died" and are in Torture Realm, how did they keep the Fused from respawning?
- How do the Heralds/Fused get teleported to Torture Realm?
- Why do the Heralds have to stay in Torture Realm getting tortured?
- Why did the ancient listener souls become spren that can respawn?

Some of your questions/confusions are certainly RAFO material, but I will answer what's not a spoiler:

So you read Arcanum Unbounded, which means I can talk a bit about this. The Fused can "respawn" when they die, yes. And they do this on Damnation/the Torture Realm. Arcanum Unbounded gave you the proper name of that planet, it's Braize. And AU also told you that Braize is the world where Odium resides. Where Odium is trapped, really. So it's reasonable to assume the Fused respawn where Odium is.

And the Stormfather lays it out pretty directly how the Oathpact works to keep the Fused on Braize/Damnation:

Stormfather posted:

THEY GAVE THEMSELVES UP. AS ODIUM IS SEALED BY THE POWERS OF HONOR AND CULTIVATION, YOUR HERALDS SEALED THE SPREN OF THE DEAD INTO THE PLACE YOU CALL DAMNATION. THE HERALDS WENT TO HONOR, AND HE GAVE THEM THIS RIGHT, THIS OATH.

[...]

THE TEN HERALDS WERE SEALED UPON DAMNATION, TRAPPING THE VOIDBRINGERS THERE. HOWEVER, IF ANY ONE OF THE TEN AGREED TO BEND HIS OATH AND LET VOIDBRINGERS PAST, IT OPENED A FLOOD. THEY COULD ALL RETURN.

[...]

“They were tortured, weren’t they?”
HORRIBLY, BY THE SPIRITS THEY TRAPPED. THEY COULD SHARE THE PAIN BECAUSE OF THEIR BOND—BUT EVENTUALLY, SOMEONE ALWAYS YIELDED.
ONCE ONE BROKE, ALL TEN HERALDS RETURNED TO ROSHAR. THEY FOUGHT. THEY LED MEN. THEIR OATHPACT DELAYED THE FUSED FROM RETURNING IMMEDIATELY, BUT EACH TIME AFTER A DESOLATION, THE HERALDS RETURNED TO DAMNATION TO SEAL THE ENEMY AGAIN. TO HIDE, FIGHT, AND FINALLY WITHSTAND TOGETHER.
THE CYCLE REPEATED. AT FIRST THE RESPITE BETWEEN DESOLATIONS WAS LONG. HUNDREDS OF YEARS. NEAR THE END, DESOLATIONS CAME SEPARATED BY FEWER THAN TEN YEARS. THERE WAS LESS THAN ONE YEAR BETWEEN THE LAST TWO. THE SOULS OF THE HERALDS HAD WORN THIN. THEY BROKE ALMOST AS SOON AS THEY WERE CAUGHT AND TORTURED IN DAMNATION.

So Honor granted the Heralds the power to trap the Fused on Braize. By the simple act of being on Braize, they could prevent the Fused from returning to Roshar. And since the Heralds were basically immortal, Honor took that to mean that once the Heralds and the Fused were on Braize, it would be over.

But if a Herald agreed to let the Fused pass, the Heralds and the Fused would return to Roshar. And so the Fused began to search for the Heralds, and then started torturing them once they had caught them. Because of their special bond, the Heralds could share the pain and withstand the torture for a while, but they began to break sooner and sooner, which is not surprising given their mental state.

So yes, the Fused are trapped on Braize as long as there are Heralds to torture, but that's more or less an unintended consequence of the nature of the Oathpact. The Fused are trapped as long as the Heralds are on Braize. But since a Heralds breaking means the way back to Roshar is open, the Fused are obviously always torturing them.

And the cycle would look like this: A Herald broke, they all returned to Roshar and had a bit of time to get everybody ready, and shortly after, the Fused began to arrive on Roshar, too. They fought until they killed most of the Fused, and all Heralds who died respawned on Braize like the dead Fused, while the living Heralds somehow also went back to Braize. That sealed the Fused until a Herald broke. Repeat for a very long time.

But in the Last Desolation, only Talenel died. The one who had never broken. Honor had warned them that they all needed to return to Braize to keep the Oathpact intact, but they ignored the warning, fabricated some bullshit story about the war being won, and went their way, leaving Taln to be tortured for 4500 years. And it turns out, one Herald was indeed enough to keep the Oathpact intact for a long time.

So to answer your four questions you're confused about :

"If none of the Heralds have "died" and are in Torture Realm, how did they keep the Fused from respawning?"
"How do the Heralds/Fused get teleported to Torture Realm?"

There probably was never a Desolation where none of the Heralds died. And we don't know all the details, but killed Fused need to return to Braize and then go back to Roshar, a process that takes some unspecified amount of time. The Heralds method to get to Braize and back to Roshar is apparently faster. But we have zero information how they travel between the planets, neither for the Heralds nor for the Fused. So I guess a Desolation worked like this: The Heralds got the humans and the Knight Radiants organized, they killed most active Fused, and then the Heralds went back to Braize to seal the Fused there, while the KR killed the remaining Fused, including the few who managed to respawn before the Heralds went back. In the Last Desolation, Taln died, so he went back, while the others remained on Roshar.

"Why do the Heralds have to stay in Torture Realm getting tortured?" Because the mere presence of the Heralds on Braize seals away the Fused, that's just how the Oathpact works. Getting tortured is incidental.

"Why did the ancient listener souls become spren that can respawn?" RAFO

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to avoid mixing up the spoilers and getting Mordiceius spoiled.

A Sneaker Broker posted:

I have finished Rhythm of War and I can now talk all Stormlight Spoilers! Praise the Stormfather!

• 4/5*. Excellent book, but I was surprised that this wasn't going to be an all-action circlejerk like I thought it was. Instead, this book did some serious world-building on a Universal level. We will be getting a Cosmere war.
  • RIP Teft! You will be very much missed.
  • NAVANI, BONDSMITH, BONDED TO THE SIBLING! I was right on my prediction. Lfg.
  • Kaladian. Ideal IV. With Shardplate with a loving BRIDGE FOUR LOGO emblazoned on the front. I need to see that moment in Anime. Please.
  • Shallan and Adolin vs The Ghostbloods. Oh poo poo.
  • Tarvanagian is now Odium. Will he still honor the Champions contest? Who knows.
  • A friendly Chasmfiend. Huh.

Now I will burn through Mistborn Era 2 (With SH), The Sunlit Man, Tress, and finally Arcanum.

E: I also just now read the Prologue to Stormlight 5. What in the actual Damnation was Gaviliar actually up to.... I am glad he died.

I found this wild theory in the comments underneath the Prologue video. I have to agree.

Yeah, the prologue of Stormlight 5 is absolutely crazy. And that theory is really popular among fandom, and would also fit quite nicely with some WoB: Namely, that Talenel never broke. Which would make Chanarach breaking after being sent back when Shallan killed her the obvious explanation.

As for Rhythm of War:Taravangian must honor all agreements Odium made. Remember, spren and shards cannot break their words without harming themselves. Wheter Taravodium manages to find some loophole to exploit in the Contest of Champions agreement like the epilogue implied remains to be seen.

Torrannor fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 16, 2024

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

meatbag posted:

In RoW, when Dalinar touches Nale, there are eight lines extending from him, and they talk about the Oathpact. I took it as lines extending to the other extant Heralds, given that Jezrien was dead at that point?

That's my read, yes. What else could it be?

CapnAndy posted:

And a third, if need be! Pattern repeatedly offers to break their bond and die, in full confidence that Shallan will be sent a new Cryptic. It’s very odd.

Full Stormlight spoilers Especially since other kinds of spren are much more reluctant to bond humans at all. Yet the Cryptics have decided to sacrifice as many of their number as necessary to have one of them bonded to Shallan. At this point, what else but the Herald daughter theory would make sense of this extremely odd behavior?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some characters in Sandersons books die, but it's to fit their character arc or for story purposes, it's never done to shock you.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Mordiceius posted:

gently caress Terry Goodkind. Glad that rear end in a top hat is dead.

:emptyquote:

Also, remember that banning guns is the same as banning fire, also communism is bad, and also, mass war crimes are good if they are done by the right people. Also also, the Clintons are extras super duper bad, which is why the Clinton stand-ins die from an incurable STD, in addition to all the other bad things that happened to them in the end. Objectivism is the only correct way to think, and being vegan is evil. Also also, being a pacifist is evil.

I can hardly believe I read all this crap as a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

A Sneaker Broker posted:

Brandon actually said in either the preface (or after-word, I forgot) that Alloy of Law was actually a writing exercise turned story. You’ll get the juicy goodness you came for in the last three books, even though Alloy of Law is a hell of a read as is.

Anyways….

Spoilers from Shadows of Self to The Lost Metal Below (Including Mistborn: Secret History)

• The Ghostbloods are Kelsier’s Group. drat. I’d love to get a story sometime of how that group was formed and how the timelines align because we see them in Stormlight Archive actively working and they appeared to have been on Roshar for quite some time.
  • RIP Wayne. The most hilarious character I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. I wonder how he will be remembered by or what his title will be in Mistborn Era Three.
  • The Lost Metal read like an Indiana Jones story, with extra juice and divine interventions. I loved it.
  • Speaking of which, it’s clear that these books (and I assume The Sunlit Man because I’m starting the book after I post this) that Brandon Sanderson is angling us toward on a trajectory to full-on Cosmere war or conflicts where our favorite characters (or foods) start popping up everywhere. It’s awesome.
  • Chouta made its way to Scadriel. I guess I gotta try to make it sometime soon. Lopen, Wayne, and countless others say it’s good so I guess I gotta try it now.
  • I forget what trope it was but the whole unsuspecting item being the Bands of Mourning at the temple to the Lord Ruler got a laugh out of me when I realized what was happening.
  • So Kelsier did become a God for a small amount of time and he was also the one who instructed Spook to tell Vin not to wear metal. I should’ve seen that in hindsight.
  • It was also cool to see Perservation at the beginning of SH to decide on the number 16.
  • Bleeder turning out to be Lessie who was a Kandra all along is a little disturbing. What would’ve happened if Wax wanted kids with her? How would’ve that worked?
  • I don’t understand those blue lines that Wax saw when he was sick in Lost Metal. I saw it was a popular highlight on Kindle and when I circled back to it after I finished the book, I still do not understand what I’m looking at.
  • So, the Ghostbloods aren’t evil. They just make sure worlds survive. By any means necessary. Hmmm.
  • Brandon really hyped up New Sean only for us to leave the place in about six to seven chapters. Lol.
  • It was awesome to find out Wayne was obsessively rich this entire time after he invested in Electricity. I bet his sports league idea/investment becomes incredibly popular further enriching Allriande.

Alright, time for The Sunlit Man.

Great post as always. One thing to note is that Brandon said the Wax & Wayne books take place during the time skip between Stormlight Archive 5 and 6. You can infer that from Sazed's letter to Hoid that he's searching for "A....sword, you might say, who can both protect and kill." And that sword of course is Wax.

Personally, I think the Ghostbloods are first and foremost an organization Kelsier founded to protect Scadrial, not necessarily all worlds. And that the individual parts of the organization have a lot of freedom on how to act. Which explains their status as an antagonist in Stormlight Archive.

As for Wax and Lessie, I suspect "Lessie" would just not have become pregnant in any case. I don't think Kandra can become pregnant in the first place.