Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

So I recently discovered Sanderson's work, starting with Skyward, and I've just finished Bands of Mourning. What should I read next?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

I take it you read all currently released Mistborn boos?

wizzardstaff posted:

I am assuming you read all the other Mistborn books before Bands of Mourning too? If not then that is definitely the next step.

The two main trilogies, yes. I haven't yet read any of the side stories like Secret History. (Was it supposed to be a twist reveal that the "Lord Ruler" had actually been Kelsier? Because I had a feeling almost the whole time. Same thing with the twist in Shadows of Self: as soon as Bleeder was noted to be wearing Lessie's body, I knew what was coming.)

I guess I'll look for the Mistborn sidestories, then start on the Stormlight Archive.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

smertrioslol posted:

I would not be surprised if Harmony ends up doing horrible poo poo for the greater good.

I mean, arguably he already has.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I'm in the middle of reading (well, technically listening) to Edgedancer for the first time, so I haven't read the last few pages, but I think Lift might be my favorite character. Shardfork indeed.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

eke out posted:

and people who remember more than me are talking about how what renarin's doing is very similar to allomantic gold https://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/91676-row-chapter-8-discussion/#comment-1050470

Seems more like malatium to me.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Dikkfor posted:

I thought using a "dead" Shardblade changed the users eyes into a lighter shade over time?

It does, but Moash gave up his Shardblade early in Oathbringer when the Fused attacked Graves' caravan, after which his eyes returned to their normal shade, and it's unclear what effect Honorblades (one of which he currently possesses) have on the eye color of the bearer.

On the topic of "what color are his eyes really?", here's what Moash's page on The Coppermind has to say:

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Yeroc2 posted:

In WoK the first Szeth interlude said that summoning his blade would make his eyes go "pale sapphire".

Granted. Do any of the randos who get hold of his Oathstone before the Diagram catch up to him comment on his eye color? I don't remember. If he was walking around lighteyed just from having it bonded you'd think they would have noticed.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

So does the Stormlight fandom go in for ship names? Because I'm rather pleased with the one I came up with: "Sylphratternization"

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Democratic Pirate posted:

I don’t think Shallan is a kandra, but I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s an off world girl placed on Roshar by the ghostbloods

That was my thought, too!

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Random theory that I haven't thought very hard about : Shallan and Adolin are reincarnations of Vin and Elend, and part of what's going on with Shallan is bleed-through from her past life as a consequence of Vin having held Preservation.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

could it even be the same effect? Szeth said he hid it somewhere in Jah Keved, which is where Shallan is from...

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

eke out posted:

i think the conceit of these is that they're a very stylized in-universe depiction? i assume that they're "real" in the way White Baptist Jesus is real lol -- real religious iconography with well known cultural significance, but not necessarily true and correct depictions of the actual person

That works for all of them except Nale, whose image depicts him a) much less ornately garbed and armed than the others, and b) pretty much exactly like we've seen him described in the flesh.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

What do you think of the parties?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

:)

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

This book just made me a shout out OH gently caress and I’m still at the ball.

The conversation with Elend, or with Kliss?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

Everything Kliss revealed.

EDIT: Can you flare Atium and Gold? I don’t think that’s been addressed.

Also just got to the Pits. gently caress yes. Glad to get to see this.

What did you think of Elend's carriage ride?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Is there a resource for the linguistics mentioned there? I tried looking on Coppermind, but either it's not there or I couldn't think of how to properly search for it.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

M_Gargantua posted:

Lift is good. If you like fun that is.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Skyward isn't Cosmere, I don't think.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

egg tats posted:

yes but ALSO rosharians would call allomancy surgebinding and not really be wrong because it's an umbrella term. presumably the way humans surgebound before coming to Roshar was different from how they do now because Honor and cultivation weren't there

Larasium will have the same impact on anyone who eats it, because it's literally part of preservation. it also might not exist anymore because Laras doesn't exist anymore! sazeium might do something completely different

Sazedium has already been seen in Bands of Mourning as the "ettmetal" the Southern Scadrians use. I'm too lazy to dig it up right now, but I believe Brandon has said that Harmony could create more lerasium and atium if he wanted to, but that ettmetal is its own unique thing, rather than a compound of the two.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate posted:

Hoid is incapable of physically harming people, but is very hard to kill. In a battle to the death he'd only win by not dying.

Incapable of physically harming living people. Hoid's already beat up Kelsier once, and threatened to do so again.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I really miss full allomancers and the sheer variety of things they can do.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

Ummmmmmm. ”The darkness arrived. And Wax died.” UMMMMMMMMMM
:allears:

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

I really liked the Navani parts.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate posted:

GPT is good at pitching novels.

Edit: did another batch. Filtered out more 'the sequel to x set y years later' since it is super common.

Just to be clear, these are procedurally generated prompts, not actual summaries?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Democratic Pirate posted:

I wonder if Sanderson’s inspiration (late Mistborn spoilers) for Kelsier is “you die a hero and then come back to become the villain”

He has said that in any context other than the Final Empire, Kelsier would have been a villain instead of the hero... and we're not in the context of the Final Empire anymore.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate posted:

It's great because it shows what a doofus he is

Oh no, your progression is slower than two other groups on this planet that have been fed tech advancements by Kelsier and Trell.

Is it my expectations that are the problem?
No, it is the children that are wrong.

I don't read the line that way at all. I guess comparison to the Set and the Southern Scadrians might be part of it, but he all but explicitly puts the blame on himself for making things too easy after the Catacendre.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Proteus Jones posted:

Yeah, it's still my favorite book because of that ending.

The other reason is because that's the book where I came to love Steris as a character. And Bands of Mourning completely reinforced that feeling. She's quite the scene stealer in that one.

I wholeheartedly agree, and I can't wait to see what happens with her in her next appearance.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

M_Gargantua posted:

I am sure its going to be Melaan, wearing the elderly body and bones of her BFF Wayne and stealing some of his personality in the way Kandra do

500 years of Wayne

Can't be, I'm afraid. Mistborn Era 2 and Stormlight Era 1 are supposed to be roughly contemporaneous. In fact I think Mistborn Era 2 takes place entirely after Stormlight 5.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate posted:

sazed immediatley whitewashes the lord ruler

Can we really put all the blame on him for that, when Brandon was the one who started it?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Tunicate posted:

Those sections were written in-character.

I was referring to the whole messages-in-caches thing.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

That sounds like a cool and plausible theory to me.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

TLM epilogues I'm surprised Kelsier immediately accepts Sazed's claim that any lerasium produced from the splitting experiments is "destroyed by the explosion". Granted that Sazed has had hundreds of years to become more practiced at lying, but it still strikes me as the sort of thing Kelsier would want to investigate himself just in case.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

NikkolasKing posted:

Finished TLM.

So when exactly is this happening in relation to Stormlight 1-5? I thought TSA happened later.

The reason I asked about the timeline is because what we see of Scadriel Ghostbloods is quite different from Roshar Ghostbloods. I had always just figured time changed things dramatically.

I honestly did not expect Marsh to survive. Just let the poor guy rest already. Speaking of which, it's one line in the first book, but there's a religion called "Sliverism" which worships "Iron Eyes." I have no idea why Marsh's religion takes its title from the Lord Ruler's "Sliver of Infinity."

There does appear to be something gong on with Harmony, that dark shadow or whatever it is., but I'm still more inclined to trust him than Kelsier's group.

I believe the latest WoBs put Mistborn Era 2 as happening definitely after Stormlight 5 and possibly after Stormlight 6, although Brandon hasn't fully nailed down the chronology yet.

The difference in the behaviors and attitudes of the Scadrial Ghostbloods and the Roshar Ghostbloods come down to two factors. First, as they tell us themselves, they're concerned first and foremost with protecting Scadrial. That aligns them with our Scadrian protagonists while putting them at best orthogonal to our Rosharan protagonists. Second, they're operating under Kelsier's direct leadership, which means he's in a position to restrain some of their worst impulses.

Also, I suspect that Sliverism views the Lord Ruler as its ultimate deity; it's just that Marsh is the last of the Steel Inquisitors, which makes him something akin to a saintly or angelic figure.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

So I just cracked into the Way of Kings audiobook today, finally starting Stormlight Archive.

I will just say, I did not like little prologue at the beginning. 4500 years before the book's start? I'm sure I'll eventually understand it, but it was basically a bunch of characters that are probably really important saying/doing things important, but I have literally no idea what anything means or anything, so I have no reason to remember anything going on there.

Yeah, don't worry about it.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

pik_d posted:

I'll definitely keep posting them. Sanderson is definitely giving me just enough information to tempt me into trying to extrapolate things, but not enough to definitely get it right.

I read chapters 8 and 9 last night which finally game some concrete information about Mistwraiths. They exist, the young ones are big dumb piles of specter bones that won't actually attack living creatures. The older ones are more intelligent based on how Kelsier answered Vin's question, but are they human levels of intelligence? I have no idea. Could a mature one be posing as Lord Renoux? Maybe! But I've got my doubts.

Sazed and Kelsier agreed that Vin is a bit of a prodigy so that answered a question I had about whether or not all Mistborn/Mistings were equally powerful and relied on having more metal at their disposal. Sazed gives me strong WoT Aiel vibes.

Very bummed out I didn't find out more about the high metals. I assume Vin learned about them during the time skip between these two chapters.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Mordiceius posted:

What was your gateway to Brandon Sanderson?

I dunno if I count as a regular, but a couple years ago I was looking for audiobooks to listen to on a long commute and stumbled across *Skyward*. I enjoyed it, but by it's nature it didn't last very long and then I started looking into Sanderson's other work—and the rest is history.

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

big mean giraffe posted:

I think this may be the one I'm most excited about after reading all the sample chapters, though I've really enjoyed the first two so far as well.

This is the body-sharing one with the rock-stacker and the painter, right?

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

pik_d posted:

OK, you inspired me to go back and look at the Part 1 epigraphs again and I found a few interesting things.

WOK Chapter 4 and chapter 29
Chapter 4
“I’m dying, aren’t I? Healer, why do you take my blood? Who is that beside you, with his head of lines? I can see a distant sun, dark and cold, shining in a black sky.”
—Collected on the 3rd of Jesnan, 1172, 11 seconds pre-death. Subject was a Reshi chull trainer. Sample is of particular note.

Chapter 29
That sounds exactly like the figures that Shallan drew. That doesn't really help me much with figuring out who/what they are though, just interesting that I now have two sightings of them.

WOK Chapter 11 and chapter 26
Chapter 11
“Three of sixteen ruled, but now the Broken One reigns.”
—Collected: Chachanan, 1173, 84 seconds pre-death. Subject: a cutpurse with the wasting sickness, of partial Iriali descent.

Chapter 26
Another mention of the number 16 that I sorta breezed past, but with the chapter 26 epigraph talking about "The Seventeenth Shard" as if it were an organization and not an actual shard, I feel like there might be 16 shards in the cosmere? I'm really stretching here, that 3 of 16 is talking about shards, but it's literally all I've got and I do not mind making wild theories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

pik_d posted:

I also want [...] to learn about some of the female Heralds

[Full Stormlight to date] You, and all the rest of us.