Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
I really want to see this clip of Paul F. Tompkins dubbed over the actual Cake Boss, but Hulu region-block has me defeated.

http://www.laughspin.com/2011/08/02/paul-f-tompkins-makes-tlcs-cake-boss-watchable-video/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

SpacePig posted:

Oh, man, I'm not sure how I passed over this yesterday. I love his Cake Boss, and this is a pretty great clip.

~Cake boss~

Man, if one of you American Hulu folk could lazydub the video playing with just a cellphone videoing your monitor, that'd be great for us Tompkinites outside Hulu range - unless there's an easier way.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

This is old news, but Redban debating Stitcher with Bill Burr during Bill's most recent appearance on the Joe Rogan podcast (this was a while ago) was the most infuriating thing I've ever heard.

"But.. RSS feeds.." :negative:

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Aug 4, 2011

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Teepkick Shakur posted:

As evidenced by his appearance on Marc Maron.

Joe Rogan too, as I recall.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Marc Maron tweeted something about not being able to do the show because of technical issues.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

plastered quack posted:

Also seconding the Earwolf Live app is great, especially if you don't live near a major city and don't want to hop between tons of comedian websites to figure out if they're coming near you.

I figured it'd be insta-delete because the opening dialogue wants a zip code and doesn't seem very Canadian-friendly, but a few awkward presses later I found out Greg Proops was coming to my podunk burg of Ottawa, Canada, so thumbs up!

edit: I see it's for an overpriced production of Whose Line Is It Anyways, but it's actually more impressive that it picked him out of an ensemble show!

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 24, 2011

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

King Lou posted:

There sat Evil Agita, atop the smoldering ruins of his internet forum. The ban hammer, once covered with cobwebs, glistened with the blood of trolls, mods and lurkers alike. He thought to himself "Nice and quiet... LOL... hello?"

But what would Lou Read? :ohdear:

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I tried playing that episode for my wife and a passenger friend on the way to a wedding this weekend, but they didn't last past the first 2 stories. Had to settle for the Witch forums and the Happy Bachelor forums - they were still pretty good. :)

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The Nick Kroll / Paul Scheer episode (71 or 72?) with the Earwolf station identifier origin was what made me *get* CDR, whereas I didn't really understand or enjoy the improv character work before that.

Also the Paul F. Tompkins + Rob Corddry + Lake Bell episode.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Fil5000 posted:

Is that one of the Gary Marshall ones?

Cake Boss. Egyptian themed party.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Kabraxis posted:

I dig the Nerdist. I think it's been getting a bit better over the last month or so. As for Mira, I think most people find him to be the pathetic punching bag. I like him though, he's sort of adorable.

I lost all empathy for him when they did that Hostful episode called "Typical Internet" and tried to prop up his feelings after he read the A/V Club Podmass comments from that week. Also drove me off the Hostful episodes. I'm not one of those mean internet posters, but jesus, what a suck.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

substitute posted:

Speaking of Sandra Bernhard, I wish Paul Mooney would do WTF.

I know sometimes Marc comments on guest requests he gets on twitter: has he ever mentioned reaching out to Paul? I totally agree with you.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

CBB has been charging for live episodes forever so I don't get the rage.

I think it had to do with them plugging a paid Bumbershoot podcast on a free Bumbershoot podcast? Either way, DLM has its own pay episodes, but the free Bumbshoot episodes were a sweet bonus for fans.

Happy to throw Earwolf a few bucks, also NNF and WTF.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Earwolf is also firmly anti-Stitcher.

Does Joe Rogan get a better deal out of Stitcher, maybe, or is it all exposure? Maron has plugged Stitcher, too.

edit: also, Redban discussing Stitcher with Bill Burr is pure brain torture.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

ElCondemn posted:

I think the confusion is that Chris and everyone else expected the downloads to go directly to their servers so that they could see the numbers the same way.

I think Chris' problem and Scott's problem was that even if they could piece together Stitcher and iTunes download stats, the iTunes ranking algorithm (which they both place a lot of value on) only cares about iTunes downloads, so shifting the point at which the show is spread hurts their iTunes ranking. Not sure if that's valid, but such was my understanding.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Can someone post an explanation of what the different DeathSquad podcasts are? The episode descriptions don't really say much.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

graventy posted:

they planned on having an episode that was a commentary track for the film so you could take it with you and watch and they were so excited

Regardless of Zak and Miri, this is an interesting idea, and a great way to double-dip box office out of fanboys. Wonder if there's some kind of weird Rifftrax studio cross-promo niche here.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Binowru posted:

The newest "How Did This Get Made?" is by far the best one yet. Not only is Patton Oswalt in the house, but they have the director of Punisher: War Zone there to talk about it. Completely different from the typical "That literally made NO SENSE!" type episodes.

Just wanted to echo this recommendation - best episode yet, even for the many detractors, although I did like the Smurfs episode vis-a-vis PFT.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I thought it was 10M downloads to date.

edit: hello new page!

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Yeah, I had been wondering how many non-white guests NNF had when I saw this week's episode. Couldn't come up with much except for depending on how you classify Al Madrigal.

edit: Now that I listen to it, they actually address that during Aisha's intro.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 11, 2011

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Flamazot posted:

Does anyone listen to Totally Laime? I never followed the Earwolf Challenge or anything but I saw Totally Laime on the Earwolf site a couple of days ago and it's actually pretty neat.

This is probably superficial of me, but the host's voice is a little nasal or something and it's hard to listen to, although I'll give it a go for good guests. I also will never hear "Sidekick Andy" as anything except "Psychic Andy" no matter how many times I hear it.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

The Sklars read my letter this week!

edit: didn't notice there was a dedicated Sklar thread, whoops!

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 14, 2012

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Vancouver -> Stop Podcasting Yourself would be the podcast of record. They get a few Canadian acts from all over.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

indigi posted:

It was great. Neal and Moshe were firing questions machine gun style at him to the point I thought he was gonna get frustrated and be like "yo let me finish a loving thought before you get in with 6 follow-ups." I agreed with them that he seems a lot more rational and smart than his twitter account would lead you to believe.

Agreed on all counts, although I wish I wasn't so put off by the soundboard.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I bought it but haven't heard it yet. Did see him perform three times in three different contexts during the week of Just For Laughs (standup show in Ottawa, something called CBC's The Debaters [a loosely styled debate against Andy Kindler re: "Is Vegas Awesome?"], the Sheriff of Nottingham at an alt-comedy show) in a single week, and he was a highlight at all of them.

If it's the same material as Ottawa, it's worth the dough in my opinion. He has a new and interesting point of view.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Very cool! Although "idiot aggregator" cuts to the bone. :(

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

King Lou posted:

Yeah. I thought that was an unnecessary and overly sharp term to use but I guess thats how some see these forums.

If anything was overly sharp it was how they described Dave Anthony on Who Charted!, the upside is that I can't imagine that mention not coming up hilariously on Walking the Room this week.

Happy for your success though - I didn't know the live shows were doing that well, which is cool to hear. Nowhere near NYC, but I'd go if one ever coincided with a visit.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

I didn't *get* The Champs for a long time (I let myself be put off by the drops), but with the exception of the Riff Raff episode (I still don't understand who he is) this has probably become one of my top podcasts.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

A quick segment on Tosh once, too.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

The recent Mr. Mxylptk episode was also very good.

Which one is this? Was on Hodgman Hiatus, but I like the sound of these recommendatons. (And thanks!)

http://judgingjudgejohnhodgman.tumblr.com/episodes

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

indigi posted:

You Made It Weird

For a long stretch, episodes of this were pretty 'can't miss' for me, but it has gotten spottier over the last couple of months. Anyone else find that? Perfectly willing to accept that it's just me if not.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Al! posted:

Free podcast. Can you believe this podcast is free? It's free, you pay nothing.

I heard that in my head as I was posting, too. :stare:

Can't decide if it's an excess of familiarity with the podcaster or if it's part of Cycle of the Successful Podcaster - a great show leads to outside projects, outside projects mean less time and energy to put into individual podcast episodes during busy season.

Still love Petey Pants and would love to see him live, and I'll still give every episode a chance, but it has flagged a bit from 'appointment podcasting' to 'who's the guest?' (Although some of Pete's guests I haven't known have still been super-interesting, depending on the flow of conversation.

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Jan 3, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

After a minor bit of thread backlash, YMIW releases an Aziz episode and it is a pretty good listen (at least the first half I've gotten through, anyways).

Piquai Souban fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 4, 2013

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

tnimark posted:

PFT on Stop Podcasting Yourself always makes for a good time. Dave and Graham have a great rapport with him.

SPY is usually a pleasant listen, but this PFT episode was genuinely great, and his other episodes were my gateway into the show. Worth listening even for non-regular listeners who love some Tompkins.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Doug Stanhope put out a podcast about l'Affaire Andrist.

http://stanhope.libsyn.com/ds-idhap-001?utm_source=DS+has+a+podcast+%28022713%29&utm_campaign=podcast+2%2F28%2F13&utm_medium=email

He says he bought gear, so I get the feeling he'll dabble in podcasting more seriously at some point.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

If they start talking about mean internet comments, I'm going to bail out like Todd Glass.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

What were the digs at PFT like? I know I should be listening to the Best Show.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

As a Canadian, the prospect of hockey as a hipster litmus test was befuddling - but definitely one of my favourite episodes of that show.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

DJ Dougpound quit The Champs. Scared how the show will be without his drops or innocent questions amongst the talking of his more boisterous co-hosts.

He was often the one guy with the most relateable POV. And even though I didn't like the drops at first, they grew on me in a big way. Will miss Doug, but glad that the show will go on - this is one of my top podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

That said, the last two episodes of The Champs have been a bit closer to straightforward interviews than the usual exploration of weird race and sex and showbiz topics. Wonder if that is deliberate or a function of the guests.

• Locked thread