Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Groucho Marxist posted:

Calling something overrated isn't the same thing as calling it bad

This is extremely true.

The Ape of Naples posted:

This is all pretty true but I've long since learned that Louie is one of those sacred cows that you can't really criticize. It's a no win situation. In the end some one will say "you just don't get it". There are times when Louie is a magical, great show and there are other times when it falls flat on its face. I think that's just the nature of the beast when you try to make a show that is so unpredictable and malleable and eccentric. I totally applaud CK's ideas and intention there are just times when it misses the mark by a mile.

In general, people don't like nuance. There's a very strong "you're either with us or you're against us" streak in human nature, where people can't agree on some issues and disagree on others. For many people, one "wrong" opinion is enough to make you The Enemy. And nuanced criticism? This is a terrible example, but gamers who are fans of particular games will throw enormous hissy fits and tantrums if a reviewer is less than 100% glowing about their favorite game. People want you to say "this is good" or "this is bad"; not anything more complicated than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

King Lou posted:

Well, Lou Reads the Internet for You! didn't make it to the top 10 this year but a podcast I've been on and one I was cut from made it... so theres that.

http://www.avclub.com/article/the-best-podcasts-of-2013-106168

There's a cartoon of Judge John Hodgman at the top of the article, but he didn't make the list? :mad:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

toanoradian posted:

On the same vein, where should I start with Judge John Hodgman?

Don't start at the very beginning. It took them a few months to get their poo poo together. (Although some of the early episodes are funny because they're so stupid, like "are machine guns robots".) Maybe avoid episodes with guest witnesses/bailiffs right at the start, because some of the joke of those is that they're different from the usual setup.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Nemo posted:

Episode 10 - The Conetractual Dispute is one of the best early episodes of the show. It's about a tangible dispute and the litigants are from Portland. Some of the best JJHO episodes are about John making fun of groan-worthy hipsters.

I got most of the way through Episode 132: Criminal In Tent this morning, and it's wonderful. So far it's been 95% laughing at hipster idiots from Oregon. :allears:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

De Nomolos posted:

I read the thread and found the JJH episode recommended to be highly enjoyable. ****, would listen again.

It's my first non-Nerdist, Smodcast, or Earwolf podcast. I just haven't explored much outside those. Guess I should, but I'm already falling behind on my usuals.

Have you given The Bugle a try? It's my favoritest. :allears:

(Judge John Hodgman is second. Third place is a confusing tie between three or four others.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

King Lou posted:

Making a documentary costs a lot of money. They have access to the podcast makers but not to free editors, camera people, lights, cameras, computers, software, music libraries, media storage, travel costs, publicity people, etc... Yes its LA and yes there are a lot of idle production people but getting people to work for free on your passion project is not so simple. Having made an indie feature film (it's bad) in the mid-90's for $40k, its not easy. It's cool they want to make that film. There was definitely an explosion of comedians making podcast for a while there.

For a surprisingly-informative look at how much it costs to make a film, you could read Joe Queenan's "The Unkindest Cut": http://www.amazon.com/The-Unkindest-Cut-Joe-Queenan/dp/0786860901 -- The book is some years old, but it's still a good read. And Queenan is great at cruel humor, even at his own expense.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Hey Lou, do you want to read insufferable geeks whining about their treatment on a tabletop gaming board?

http://forum.rpg.net/forumdisplay.php?7-Trouble-Tickets

Best quote from today?

Bonus Mod reply:

Since when is it not okay to call My Little Pony watchers "douchebags"? :confused:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I've listened to one episode of Harmontown (the latest one, back when they were working on the GI Joe episode of Community), and liked it a lot. Should I start plowing through the archives, or is it not consistently excellent?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

pretty soft girl posted:

I suspect people like him and Klausner are just severely out of touch and think social media is an extension of the stage where hecklers aren't allowed. It didn't surprise me that Patton has the emotional maturity of Jamie Kennedy but it sure did disappoint me.

I saw him perform a couple of months ago, and there was an incredibly annoying heckler/drunk in the audience. I thought he handled it really well and made it fun for the rest of the audience. :shrug:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I'm a couple of months behind on International Waters, but whoever decided "Speed Racist" would be a good name for a TV show is a genius. :D

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crankit posted:

With the NSTAAF podcast, it's a bit like QI just a bunch of random stuff so pick one it doesn't matter, with Greg Proops make sure you listen to one in front of a live audience, they're fairly consistent in quality, i don't have any particular faves.

My first Proopscast was one without an audience, and as a result, the rest of them have felt slightly weird. (It's good stuff -- not arguing that.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ariza posted:

I'm sure I'm in the minority on this board, but I really dig Race Wars. I saw a standup special from Metzger and surprisingly it pretty good. I've never heard Sherrod on anything else, but Hannibal, Attell, and Artie are great. Speaking of Artie, has he said anything else about his new podcast?

I don't know if it's calculated or not, but Artie's gotten his name in the news the last few days.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Asterios posted:

I was just a guest on two pretty hilarious podcasts: Maddox's The Biggest Problem In The Universe and International Waters with The Bugle's Andy Zaltzman.

"...it's no wonder they were Tenzing up." :cripes:

Zaltor in fine form there.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crankit posted:

I've considered this before, I think Proops slips into the boring preachy part more easily than Todd does, and does the whole thing more fluidly and eloquently. I listen to Greg's Boring and Preachy part, but probably close to half the time skip Todd's rants.

The nice thing about the boring-and-preachy part is that Proops is interesting and funny enough that it's usually not that boring.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Crankit posted:

that's almost exactly what i was hinting at but i didn't wanna seem like i was being rude about todd

I've never listened to Todd Glass, so I don't want to make it look like I was putting him down at all. I just wanted to make it clear to anyone reading that Proops's "boring, preachy parts" are a lot better than you'd think, given their name. :)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

poorlifedecision posted:

I've been listening to The Worst Episode Ever (A Simpsons Podcast) a bunch recently. By virtue of being about The Simpsons and exploring the non-classic episodes it's a pretty funny podcast, but the hosts are funny as well. Although now I'm watching way more new Simpsons episodes than I ever thought I would.

Facebook

Since it's pretty new you can easily start at Episode 1, but I think the "That 90's Show" Episode is a pretty good place to get a good feel for their fair assessment of a pretty disliked episode while still trying to tear it apart for humor's sake.

The latest episode looks pretty good -- it's the only one where I've actually seen the episode (:corsair:), and I distinctly remember it as part of the reason I stopped watching the Simpsons. Will check this out. :thumbsup:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Beeez posted:

People don't like They Might Be Giants?

Bad people.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

wafflesnsegways posted:

Did those episodes really do something like this? This isn't ads, this is sponsored content, the scourge of the 2010s. It's 45 minutes of pizza roll based discussion.

The Community episodes sponsored by KFC and Subway were pretty great.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
James Adomian was on the latest Harmontown to do his Bernie Sanders impression, and it's not funny to me at all. Has anybody else heard this? I'm thinking maybe I don't think it's funny because I actually like Sanders, and I need a reality check.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AFewBricksShy posted:

The newest Mohr Stories is pretty terrible.

John Ziegler is a guy who believes that Sandusky and Paterno were wrongfully accused.

For a good ten seconds, I was wondering how he crawled out of the grave. (Ron Ziegler was a Nixon sidekick who died in 2003.) :blush:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Jimbozig posted:

So I've been listening to Judge John Hodgman for a while, and he's usually pretty good at finding compromise, but this latest ruling made me lose a huge amount of respect for him. (If there's a different thread to talk about JJH instead of this one, let me know.)

The situation is that a couple came on the podcast about an activity that they sometimes perform together and they both enjoy while mutually consenting, but that one partner insists on doing alone every night before bed and disturbing the other's sleep. The plaintiff asked for this activity to occur in another room. The ruling was that yes, the activity must occur in another room, but that both partners must do this activity every night regardless of their mood or interest or consent. The judge further asserted that it would be fun to do this every night even when the plaintiff had no interest and just wanted to sleep.

Yeah, I described that in an intentionally provocative way, but it was really hosed up how obvious it was that the ruling was completely unacceptable to the plaintiff and will not be followed.

Thanks so very much for making Hodgman seem like an rear end in a top hat. Great job. :golfclap: :rolleye:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

LampkinsMateSteve posted:

Already gone. What was the drama?

https://twitter.com/JenKirkman/status/761588007006633986

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Has Jen ever seen a tweet that she didn't want to fight about? Do people tweet her not wanting a fight or gently caress with her?

I think she's great, and I don't know what it's like to be on the receiving end of that kind of treatment, but I sometimes think something along these lines. :shobon:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

ElCondemn posted:

Having a kid to spite an author you don't enjoy seems pretty petty.

I would be pissed if I found out I had been that kid.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Mst3kmann posted:

Listened to the episode, and his reaction was to blame everybody else except, you know, Hillary herself. It started off as a typical episode for a while, but once he compared Trump to his abusive father (which I'm not even sure if he's talked about on stage before), it was off to the races.

If you're looking for any sort of introspection or humility after losing, you won't find it.

I don't know if he talked about his father being abusive, but he did sound distant and the only way he and Greg got along was by going to baseball games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

perceptron posted:

The mental gymnastics Proops manages to do with his anti Bernie poo poo is ridiculous.

He's not still doing that, is he? I stopped listening during the election, and I was thinking about (finally) coming back to it. :sigh:

• Locked thread