Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004
You dipshits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Civil posted:

I think part of Scott's shtick is liking unpopular unfunny things - plane breaks, banal catchphrase discussion, super long intro themes, plugs, Tig Notaro, etc.

He also despises things that are actually entertaining, like he does with Jukebox Jury and Jack the Lumberyard owner.

Odd how these things he despises wind up on the show he hosts. It's almost as if someone here is missing the point.

(Imagine that -- someone who dislikes Tig demonstrating that they have a poor grasp of complex, character-based comedy. Wouldn't that be something?)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

j8910 posted:

I bought one of those Haagen Dasz singles based on the Mike and Tom episode, and I have to say: They really are good. And the spoon really does deserve praise. I couldn't help think how happy Rolf would be about the final product.

On the other hand, I can never look at Take 5 the same way again...

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Dustin1986 posted:

:aaaaa:

That is the most perfect thing I have ever seen.

I'm torn on whether I'd rather have a print of that, or just Lithgow (unobstructed/larger).

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

t3ch3 posted:

Actually, it's one of the best episodes so far because in the last minute Scott mentions that he'll be recording three upcoming episodes with Paul F. Tompkins over Labor Day weekend. :woop:

I loved his drop in plug, too.
E: "....somebody gets taken..."
S: "Like that movie Taken? Mike Detective Season 2, coming soon..."

You know, there's bitching here just about every week, but I can't remember the last time I didn't love an ep of CBB. Sure, PFT/Daly/etc make for something special, but I don't think I've ever disliked one.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

A Fistful of Dicks posted:

This describes most liberals in this country.
Yeah, you're steering this in a great direction.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
If listening to joe rogan is anything like reading that guy's posts, my decision not to bother has been reaffirmed.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think top to bottom that this ep of CBB was one of the best ever.
It was amazing. Trying to drive and work while listening was a bad idea.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

King Lou posted:

What is with all the super liking of CBB these days?
It's funny and it's always been funny. What's to understand?

vvv e: alright, so I scanned back to see what was missed. Pardon me for not paying enough attention to King Fuckin' Lou to know when he does callbacks to himself.

WoG fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Aug 29, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

soru posted:

Did you say something worthwhile or just call it awful?

Come on, you know the answer to that --

the only 'unregistered' comment posted:

The episode started very poorly and dipped lower shortly after. Then Harris and Adam made it better as their characters, then the whole thing took a horrifying nosedive as Chelsea Peretti started "acting".

I don't care how tired you all are or how hot it is; poo poo is still poo poo. Why is this episode poo poo?

1. Characters are best when they are held through the whole bit. Andy Daily never says "And now I'll stop being Don Dimelo and just be me" He commits to the role and stays in character until the bit is done, then the Don Dimelo leaves and Andy re-enters the studio. Fading in and out of characters is lousy acting and very irritating.

2. Finding yourselves so terribly amusing is really off-putting. If something is genuinely funny then laugh, but being all giddy and finding that everything you say gives you the giggles and is hilarious is annoying and sounds like a pack of teenagers doing a podcast.

3. Where the hell are the games?

In summary, four people who can't hold a character sit in a studio and make each other laugh and we get to listen to it; good work everyone. This episode was so bothersome I signed up just to voice my distaste.

I'm not giving up on the show yet but episodes like have been produced lately really make me miss the Pod F Tompkast.

Feel free to take this post as an honest (if acerbic) critique of the show, or simply discount it as the ranting of some rear end in a top hat on the internet, I really don't care I just had to have my say because the show has been much better and I hope it will be again.

If you signed up just to complain, why shouldn't they boot your rear end?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

soru posted:

Is it okay to like UYD and also CBB? I don't see how liking one precludes the other.
There are at least two of us in that camp.

WoG fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Sep 12, 2011

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

RustyTrombone posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3434323&pagenumber=1#post395502751

Looks like there's gonna be a podcast forum fairly soon! It will be great to break up this thread a little. I've already prepared a UYD thread.
Learning that one is done hearing about Joe Rogan is a great way to kick off the weekend.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Anal Volcano posted:

Analyze Phish is amazing.

"So why was that song called The Train Song?"
"I think they wrote it on a train."
"Oh, jesus."
I was dying in public when Scott started his reggae scatting.

indigi, it's Scott making fun of Harris and Phish; it's comedy, not a concert. If you like their interplay on cbb, you'll like it.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lemmi Caution posted:

Seriously though, all their guests sound about eighty years old, and I am not a young man myself.

We live in the age of internet streaming and satellite radio. There's no reason to ever listen to top 40 anymore.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
God drat it, listened to improv4humans today and it was great. Another weekly show? I'm falling behind with this; time to trim some subscription fat.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I'm filling a bit of that YLNT hole with Roderick on the Line. I don't listen to any of Merlin's other (productivity? I have no idea what that guy does for a living) podcasts, but the meandering discussions with John are always great.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

dancehall posted:

I dunno if this is old news to you guys but Roderick on the Line is great. It's another Merlin Mann show, but instead of talking with other uber-geeks (cf. You Look Nice Today, Back to Work) he chats with burly alpha-male rocker John Roderick, who's not afraid to tell him "there's nothing wrong with you that a couple of asskickings wouldn't solve." It's a nice dynamic.
It got mentioned briefly when it launched, but very little attention since then. It's a shame; it immediately became one of my favorites, too.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I haven't found it too difficult to skip ahead until I hear the soft jazz that signifies docket-clearin' time.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

plastered quack posted:

Not as much as Tim/Zach have done in the past. Oddly enough, James Adomian's character struck me as the worst (but I think it's because I haven't seen the documentary his character is based on).

Dr Bronner isn't from a documentary (unless one exists incidentally); it's a soap, with this batshit label: http://i.imgur.com/ECd2Q.png

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Yeah, I think nerdist is the new earwolf. At least the intro sting they're slapping on everything is reasonably short.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I love his remixed earwolf outro, too.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Since few of you probably have their blog in your feedreaders--

http://youlooknicetoday.com/news/letter-to-shareholders

Bottom line: monthly YLNT, starting in three days.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Lamuella posted:

I always feel a little wary when someone tells me that to enjoy a podcast I have to listen to x number of back episodes and keep listening even if they're blah. It seems like a lot of effort to put in just to kill an hour on my commute.

Yeah, it's not really required; I started live and was hooked in an ep or two. While I did jump into the backlog soon afterward, now that it's triple what it was then, I dunno if I'd have committed the time.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

GraPar posted:

I was thinking about this the other day, actually, since UYD is by far my favourite podcast and just straight up one of my favourite things ever - is it pretty much the only major comedy podcast made by people in no way involved with the comedy industry?

I guess MBMBAM counts although I was under the impression that at least one of them has done some other kind of comedy writing and Justin is managing editor of Joystiq, so it's kind of borderline.
Afaik, the guys on The Complete Guide to Everything aren't comedy/industry people, but I don't listen.

It's a natural state, though -- if someone has no connections to spread the word or get name guests to draw listeners, how would you have heard about it? When podcasting was in its infancy, the pool was small enough that complete non-entities could gain traction (eg, Dawn and Drew, or arguably even UYD is old enough). These days, there are thousands of non-insider comedy podcasts, but they're not 'major' because you've never heard of them, and you've never heard of them because they're not 'major' (plus there's no real portal -- only the incestuous comedy networks, or itunes, where shows are featured because they're popular because they're featured).

Not that I mind that being the status quo -- maintaining an interesting show either requires getting interesting guests (ie, being an insider) or having a very rare type of personality that can be captivating even in a bubble (ie, Seth). Networks, to some degree, filter for quality in the same way network television is generally better than public access, or stuff on funnyordie is funnier than randomly skipping around youtube, or self-published books are, by and large, poo poo.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Astroturf Neckbeard posted:

Am I the only person who can't stand Graham Elwood? I don't think I've laughed or even cracked a smile at anything that guy's said. And he's on like, every episode of DLM, which I love.
You're certainly not, and fortunately, if you stick to just the friday eps of DLM, he doesn't show up all that often.

I've never heard one of the car eps; I can only imagine how irritating it would be.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Trujillo posted:

Shahruz, the guy who designed the Earwolf app is at Feral Audio now
Not to play devil's advocate here, but having designed the ios app doesn't strike me as something that would be an ongoing, full-time job.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Riptor posted:

I was looking through Netflix and:

is that Kulap?
No, it's Tan Le, one of the listed cast members.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

HateTheInternet posted:

Does anyone recommend a particular point where I could jump into the Best Show on WFMU with Tom Scharpling? Is starting at the very beginning advised? Archives go back over a decade and it looks pretty daunting.

I cannot even imagine advising someone to go listen to 1500 hrs of talk radio.

I've been listening for about a year, and the only backstory I've gathered is through all the best show gems podcasts (all wurster stuff), a few of the scharpling-wurster albums, and a tiny handful of highlight clips (the xmas four loko party w/ hodgman and the gathering of the juggalos analysis w/ pft being the best). This last one with Kurt Braunohler was right up there with the all-time highlights, too.

Most of the show is just off-the-cuff rambling and reactions to callers, though, and you pick up on the regular callers quickly.

e: Oh, and there's a Best Show thread, worth keeping tabs on. I see I asked pretty much this same question there, on p1.

WoG fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 14, 2012

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mogambo posted:

He just said on Twitter that it isn't a comedy podcast. So that gives WTR a good chance, seeing as it isn't funny.

Hah. My bet would have been a Put This On podcast, then I checked his twitter feed:

It's amazing, and if you haven't listened to it yet, you'll need to.

The new ‪#MaxFun‬ show is short, monthly, and absolutely revelatory. Fail to listen at your peril.

So it's definitely something pre-existing. Announcement's today, at any rate.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Al! posted:

Oh 99% Invisible, of course.

You and I aren't the only ones with that initial suspicion (though I'd say it's more than monthly): Roman's got a deal with PRX, who also employ him for other stuff. I wish I could add him!

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

WoG posted:

Hah. My bet would have been a Put This On podcast, then I checked his twitter feed:

It's amazing, and if you haven't listened to it yet, you'll need to.

The new ‪#MaxFun‬ show is short, monthly, and absolutely revelatory. Fail to listen at your peril.

So it's definitely something pre-existing. Announcement's today, at any rate.

...and it's The Memory Palace.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Doctor Candiru posted:

You mean Freak Dance, right? Has anyone seen it yet?

I saw the first half hour. That's all I care to say about it.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Superego is still dumb and doesn't have an rss feed for the podcast episodes...
?

http://gosuperego.com/podcast.xml

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mogambo posted:

1. The pledge drive is literally only one day (Oct 15) so just avoid that week's episode I guess
I'm firmly in the pro-Thorn camp, but this idea does irk me a little. "It's only one day" that they spend a month advertising, as opposed to two weeks that they spend a month advertising. I'm getting a month of nagging either way.

(and yes, already a donor)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I called before it started and talked to Dustin and he was really nice but I was high on jazz cigarettes so I think I made a fool of myself.

RGD subtitle right here, folks.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I'm glad I looked at the Feral front page -- I hadn't realized Steve Agee Uhhh was back from the dead.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

indigi posted:

Oh, you don't know what it means! Why didn't you just say so? I totally get if it's not your cup of tea, though.
Aren't you a peach?

Since you've never clarified what you consider the correct definition, I'll assume you mean 'joke thief', and point out that it also applies to comics who take their setups to only the most obvious/unsurprising places, and that that's a slightly more subjective metric.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
^I've fallen a few eps behind on Harmontown now, thanks to the recent blitz, but this all sounds amazing.

Since nobody else has mentioned it yet here, Jeff Garlin has a podcast now on Earwolf, and the first ep is a live conversation with Larry David. Great start. It was obviously recorded some time ago (they reference Curb being midway through airing), so I dunno if it's a live show he does regularly and has backlogs of, or will turn into a studio show, or what, but it's worth looking up for the pilot alone.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Goose Halo posted:

What, did they invent RSS and basic server technology? I don't get it.

The patent office has no idea what it's doing with technology, so when someone invents the internet and someone else invents the mouse, you can file a form that says, "when you click on something on a website, something happens," and they'll agree that that's an innovative, non-obvious idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

King Lou posted:

I signed up for stamps.com and didn't realize that its a subscription service where you are charged $15 a month for the privilege of printing postage at home.
...then what the hell did you think it was? You thought the business model was 'free scales + free postage printing = profit'?

"This Pepsi Next ad didn't specifically explain that cans of Pepsi aren't free! gently caress everything!"

WoG fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Feb 13, 2013

• Locked thread