Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mescal posted:

I don't think there's a You Look Nice Today thread, so I'm asking here. The descriptions of coats of arms in Rampant on a Field and the union logo for Gellies Local 416 are hilarious. I'm sure some fans made these things in Photoshop or something, is there a way I can see these great imaginary symbols?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3475634

On my phone, so I'm not hunting right now, but they'd be on their website, if anywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Teddybear posted:

Tell that to Comcast. Apparently basic cable to them is local OTA stations, CNN, QVC, and Fox News. On what planet is that basic cable?
Looks like TBS is in their cheapest lineup to me (while IFC isn't).

Unless you mean 'free with an internet-only sub' or something, but that's not 'basic cable', that's 'not having cable'.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

caligulamprey posted:

Jesus, Mike Schmidt leaves Never Not Funny, Todd Glass Leaves Comedy and Everything Else, TOFOP goes kaput, WTR implodes - every time a podcast changes/goes away, it's always under the most mysterious circumstances that no one will ever talk about.
Let's not forget the great Tompkins-Scharpling Schism

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

escape artist posted:

Man, I need you around to talk to my family next time I have a relapse! Please, can I hire you to be my personal drug abuse apologist?

I'm not trying to be facetious or anything. I am a drug addict. I went to rehab last year. I am still a drug addict. I get high almost 6 days a week at least. I'm not downplaying the severity. I should probably go back to rehab.

My dog had surgery and always has valium on hand. Guess what: my drug of choice is benzos. I don't steal from my dog. He's the one thing I put above my drug addiction. I've given him my medication before and suffered instead of him, on weekends, when the vet was closed.

We're addicts, but that doesn't mean we're absolved of every decision we make, is all I'm saying.

edit:
But since people were saying the dog was dead and there was a surplus, that kind of puts a new spin on it. If my dog died, I would drat sure have a terrible relapse.

Anyway... I like Gilmartin a lot. The Mental Illness Happy Hour podcast has really given me some insight into myself. Not that I'm cured, or by any means a happy person at this time... but I think it's an awesome thing, what Paul does. He lays everything that has happened to him out on the table, in the name of helping other people.

As far as my dislike for Greg is considered, it goes back to having an ex read snippets from "He's Just Not That Into You" to me.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=214

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Cast No Engine posted:

I think I'm waiting for every episode of Dead Authors Podcast to be as good as the ep with Scott Aukerman as Ben Franklin. Even though I typically like all the guests that have been on, I find almost every episode fairly boring.

I love the idea, but it's a little thin to sustain for an hour. It's like if CBB had no 3rd/4th guests to add to conversations, and no games.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

I concur. Maybe they are just doing too many and if they got rid of County it would be better.

Yeah, when they went to twice weekly, that show (country+county) dropped immediately to depends-on-the-guest status for me, and even then, I shut it off when they get to the character piece at the end (Jesse Thorn fantasy bits excepted).

Seconding the comment that Norm MacDonald Live is great (at least the first 3, I'm one behind). His delivery just loving kills me, every time.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Illinois Smith posted:

I had no idea who Jordan was two weeks ago but him and Jesse taking over Hodgman's podcast while he's busy with deranged billionaire business is definitely my least favorite part of the summer.

Yeah, I'm a big JJGo and Thorn fan in general, but he's a pale substitute for Hodgman in that role. It probably didn't help that those were the two worst cases they've ever accepted.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
I don't know what that new episode of The K-Ohle was, but, drat, was it ever delightful.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Bundt Cake posted:

Its a show about a guy named Louie who is friends with the actual people Louie is friends with, with the same marital and custody situations, with the same job as him, working out bits that are the same as his real life bits at the spot where he works them out in real life, that he wrote every line of of every script for and shot all himself

There's such a thing as semi-autobiographical. You mention, "Itd be like if Seinfeld was about a depressed dude with no money who never meets women", but really, it'd be like if Jerry was a modestly successful club comic, rather than one of the world's most famous comedians, with a #1 sitcom, which is exactly what it was.

And I'm not even arguing that the show is perfect or beyond reproach--we probably agree entirely on that front--just that the "but it's not true!" complaint is bullshit.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
^^thanks for the guest recommendations. The few SPYs I've heard (the aforementioned Tompkins and Kinane eps among them) have been great, but it winds up in the 'depends on the guest' pile for me, which unfortunately for them, turns out to be like 3% of their episodes.

*sigh* Best Show's ending, though, so I guess that clears up a big chunk of my podcast time in a month.

In other amazing comedy podcast news, NEW ANALYZE PHISH!!!

e: which, holy coincidence, batman: I just paused mid-post to look at the description and--what do you know--guest starring Tom Scharpling!

WoG fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Nov 19, 2013

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

prefect posted:

There's a cartoon of Judge John Hodgman at the top of the article, but he didn't make the list? :mad:
He was at least nominated/described. It also shows Janet Varney and Cameron Esposito, along with graffiti references to JJGo, MBMBAM, and Hollywood Handbook, none of which are mentioned at all. (No idea who the guy on the right is.)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Congrats, Asterios! I refreshed the feed this morning to see if it was out yet for my drive in, but no such luck.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
Definitely a highlight episode, man. I had the misfortune of being in public when Jesse's first question about r/maximumfun was re: their involvement in the Boston bombing.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Binowru posted:

So I just got an email from Earwolf (apparently I subscribe to their newsletter? huh.) that said Never Not Funny is moving to their network and will be entirely free. Neato.

Oh, cool. I actually just noticed NNF on their site today when I went to check out Horatio's drawings from CBB. Just the last few free eps are there (and I grabbed Scott's new one.) I was actually planning to look up how much NNF costs now that I'm making marginally more than a pittance.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

The Berzerker posted:

Everyone should listen to the Fairbanks episode of Walking the Room.

He was just on Go Bayside, too, and was fantastic as always.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Are you guys scared Earwolf is going to eventually charge you to access the archives a la WTF or something?

Deleting them is more work than not deleting them.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Binowru posted:

Is there a (legal) way to download the MP3s or are you just streaming from the archive? Because I'd love to go back and listen as well but iTunes only has about 30 episodes.

No. (Why would you bother asking, with that qualification?)

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Binowru posted:

I know, that was dumb. I'm not gonna pirate them, I was just hoping there was an easy way to get hard copies so I wouldn't have to rely on the streaming player, mostly so I could put them on my old-school iPod and easily skim past bad calls.

*shrug* There are no ads on the page or prefacing the show, so the streams are costing wfmu money. I figure grabbing the mp3s from the mega directory linked in the BS thread is only helping.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004
PFT alert on the latest Go Bayside!

I cannot believe he actually pointed out some goddamned elegant balloons, and that they both wondered where one could find such a thing.

Go Bayside is one solid podcast, I must say. The premise seems so thin and repetitive for non-obsessive SBTB fans*, but having listened to quite a few by now, it's delightful every time. I guess 'how little can a group of writers know or care about teenagers' is a bottomless well of entertainment.

*ie, couldn't describe any episodes aside from Jesse's pills and "I think they raced quads on the beach one time", and finds it completely unbearable to re-watch.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

I go to the site to check it out, scroll down and see that the previous episode was with Jerry Ferrara!
It was a great ep, too! I only grabbed it because it was so surprising, but he was both delightful and a bigger SBTB nerd than April.

The Aukerman ep, though, drat. I think that was the best Go Bayside, hands down, and on a show that's featured PFT and Pardo multiple times, that's a high bar.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Mollymauk posted:

If you want to hear Todd Glass lose a million dollar bet about duvets check out today's Stop Podcasting Yourself.

I was cringing through his bet talk, he was so drat adamant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Piquai Souban posted:

Today's RJVP sure was something.
I'm sure glad I took this inside joke at face value and, having never listened to this show, grabbed it as my first ep. Not a waste of 3 minutes at all.

• Locked thread