Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Julet Esqu posted:

I do love the new crop irrigation trenches/rows, though. Pressing A once to water a whole row of crops, even without ever upgrading my watering can? YES.

Yeah this is great, but I am terrible at actually setting them up. Some general tips I've found so far (only in the middle of summer)
-Don't upgrade the first cart, just upgrade right to the second tier .
-Stockpile branches and rocks during spring. Once you get the hammer and axe you can break them up into building materials.
-Bringing the horse and cart around with you is really useful
-The big dog pet appears to automatically try to bring in/out your cows/sheep, but it doesn't always take all of them so you can't rely on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
It's a lot easier when you get the level 2 hoe. You can extend the trench at any time by just charging it to 2 squares with the first square being an end point on your trench and the second being the space you want to extend the trench to.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Befriending the animals seems pretty pointless. I know the panda likes bamboo shoots though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

They're apparently triggered randomly by walking onto the screen with the boulders. They won't trigger if you're on the horse so if you think you've met whatever the conditions are for it being cleared try just walking back and forth between screens for a bit.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Just picked up a physical copy at gamestop on my lunch break, won't be able to play it until tonight though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Anyone playing on hard? The first boss is actually pretty tough, I think I might have better luck with the spear, broadsword I got from SaberForte is too slow to avoid her attacks reliably.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Emalde posted:

New to this game is Taming Bosses! For the first four bosses, you tame them with the items they like most, the other bosses are trial/error based on what kind of creature they are. If it's a crop, you'll need to use Gargantuizer, which means planting a seed, treating it with one dose of Gargantuizer, letting it grow a stage to confirm if it worked (it will be obvious), then treating it with a second Gargantuizer. This is quite expensive, so it's not recommended early on if you don't have stacks to blow or if you really want it, savescum until you get them with the first gift.

Ambrosia: [All Gargantuized] Toyherb, Pink Cat, Charm Blue, Moondrop
Thunderbolt: Gargantuized Carrot
Marionetta: Apple Pie, Cake, Chocolate Cake, Cheese Cake
Sarcophagus: Mixed Juice, Gold Juice

Every boss can be tamed once you've beaten them except for a few of the cameo bosses (Tanuki, Rafflesia, Skelefang).

Do you know what you need to tame mamadoodle? And do the bosses need a full barn to themselves or do they work just like a regular monster.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

That's a lot of useful info, I started a new game on Normal difficulty after not getting very far on Hard and just picked up a Red Fairy. As advertised, it murders everything with screen filling fire attacks.

I'm at the very end of Spring and the mineral node for the shadestone hasn't shown up the last couple of times I've been there. I remember seeing it before I knew what it was, but now it just isn't appearing. The screen still gets dark when I go there though.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

There is a little fire fairy sprite monster you can tame I think somewhere after the haunted house dungeon that is extremely powerful as a companion.

The cow and chicken equivalents are extremely handy to have a few of since milk and eggs are used in many lucrative cooking recipes.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Zorato posted:

Thanks a lot for the advice and suggestions, you guys. :)

I noticed that nobody suggested any of the newer Harvest Moon games. Are all of the newer ones really complicated compared to the older ones (like the N64 and SNES version)?

I really like Two Towns setting and characters, and it has a ton of content, but it is really dragged down by how they gate progress. The Carpenter will only build a single expansion every season, and there are 25 of the things, so you are looking at more than 7 years in game at a minimum to build everything. Plus building those expansions is mutually exclusive with progressing the story, since that is done with carpenter projects as well.

I love the bug catching and the hand fishing, to the point I still kind of want to pick it up again for the 3DS, but several people in this thread have said that version is really buggy.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

That's not really the worst part of Two Towns. You can only build an improvement to your house once every season, and this is mutually exclusive with building out the tunnel, which is your main story goal. There are TONS of improvements, and having no choice but to slowly unlock 4 a year is unbearable.

I wonder if someone could rom-hack it so you could build a home upgrade whenever you met the requirements. That one change and I think it would be the best HM.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Met posted:

Rune Factory 4 just arrived from Amazon. Any early game tips or is it more fun to just figure it out rather than playing as efficiently as possible from the start?

There are a lot of tips on the first page of page 100.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Dirk the Average posted:

So I think I'm going to restart on seedling mode. This whole 3 days to chop down a tree bullshit is irritating me to no end, and there's apparently no downsides to doing so.

I also started over on seedling, I was willing to deal with the early struggle for money and stamina but balked when I saw the requirements for unlocking the later vendors.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Blhue posted:

One thing I noticed that's kind of nice, when you're shipping requested items, it'll pull the items from your storage if they're in there, no need to have them in your inventory. So make sure to toss anything you intend to use to fulfill a shipping request into storage to ensure you don't accidentally sell it off normally or to the wrong trading company

You can sell items from storage directly actually, you need to press either x or y while selling (I don't remember which button specifically) and you can toggle between materials/storage/bag/reverberate with L/R.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Can you do multiple conquests at once or does the game limit you to taking one over one at a time? The leafy field is available now and the tall vegetable field is available in 2 days. I don't have anything to actually grow in the leafy field yet and I really want the tall field, but if I can get both at once that would be nice.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

A Sometimes Food posted:

I grabbed Tale of Two Towns 3D during the Christmas sales, is there anything I need to know going in?

Befriend the carpenter lady and the blacksmith right away.
Save 10 each of the trash hand fishing items for Winter.
There is no point to brushing the horse or giving it treats.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

I played until Lulukoko unlocked yesterday. The opening cutscene/intro lasted a little too long but other than that I have been enjoying it a lot. Tycoon is great, it starts you out with 50,000 which in the beginning of the game covers anything you could want. Most importantly it lets you start working with a cow and chicken right out of the gate.

Choosing between Seedling/Veteran in this mode seems a lot more reasonable. From what I could find it only affects stamina and how much things cost in stores.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Blhue posted:

anyone know if we still have to cook one item at a time for maximum progress towards the skill improvement trophies, or if its a hidden exp gauge and you can batch cook like a reasonable person would expect?

According to Fogu it now works like a normal person would expect. http://fogu.com/sos2/activities/cooking.html

Anyone have any useful early recipes they recommend unlocking soon? Some of the more advanced ones have special effects like regenerating stamina or giving you a shop discount but the recipes are too pricey right now for me to just try everything and experiment.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Fun Times! posted:

One.

Is there an easier way to get tool upgrade materials? Not all are sold in stores and I'm getting like 1 black stone per day if I'm lucky.

I started save scumming for black rocks just to get the initial upgrades out of the way. Apparently upgrading your hammer makes them less likely to appear. http://www.thonky.com/story-of-seasons-trio-of-towns/mining

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

If they changed the construction so that advancing the plot didn't stop you from upgrading your farm I think Tale of Two Towns could be one of the best HM games. Ideally I'd like for them to go a step further and let you make 1 improvement per season per town.

I doubt they will do that with the new version though. :(

Unrelated, I backed My Time at Portia on Kickstarter which describes itself as "An adventure inspired by Animal Crossing, Dark Cloud 2, Harvest Moon, and the works of Miyazaki."

It's got a week left and $25k left to raise to hit its target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Tired Moritz posted:

Any tips for rune factory 4? I want to rush through until I get the post game features

Someone consolidated a ton into the first post on page 100 of this very thread.

• Locked thread