Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I might have hosed myself over a bit breaking the storage box the chance I got in RF4 (I wanted to see what would happen :saddowns:). When can I expect to get another? I've beaten the third boss and I'm around the end of Spring, for the record.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Electric Phantasm posted:

You can buy another one from the general store, but you'll need lumber and stone also to get a new one

You need to unlock that option through an order, don't you? Because I don't see it listed anywhere.

VVV Alright, thanks!

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 11, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyone have tips for the growing a large flower quest? I've gotten it to work with some strawberries, but when I tried a few different flowers, the farthest I've ever seen them go is when they're visibly larger upon blooming. The day after, they just vanish entirely instead of merging.

e: Probably should specify RF4, oops.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 20, 2014

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SC Bracer posted:

Uh do you have animals working the fields? They autoharvest crops, so they're basically harvesting your flowers before they have the chance to merge.

Huh, is that so? It's kinda weird how it never happened with my strawberries though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Trebuchet King posted:

I'm enjoying this game still, which is nice. The last RF game I played was the first and once I got to a certain point I remember just losing interest completely. Realizing I could hold down A to pick up like items instead of mashing it a lot made things looooooads more amenable, too.

Wait what.

Holy crap, this is magical. :aaa:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Should I bother with resetting in order to trigger the third arc? Is there any reason I'd want it to happen sooner rather than later? I have a save just before going to bed on Spring 10 with Amber and Dylas in my party, and if both of them don't leave the following day, I reset. It's a pretty quick process, but still kind of boring.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I really like using spears because you can use forged status effects to the best effect when combined with the high number of hits. I find their charged attacks the most useful of the physical weapons.

Does anyone use long swords? They seem like inferior axes since they're basically slow weapons that don't do as much damage. Ditto for dual blades/fists comparisons.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Patware posted:

I put ten Squid on a rod for Squid Festival and it didn't seem to appreciably increase my Squid haul.

Re: Upgrading, is it duplicating specific items that gives you diminishing returns or is it multiple items in the same category (metals, furs, etc.)? I've been operating under the latter and probably could've been doing way better upgrading if it's not that one.

It's the former. You can see the stat bonuses an item would give before forging, after all.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

LLSix posted:

Does anyone have advice for how best to keep animals fed? Right now I'm buying fodder from Raven and then tediously adding it to the feed bin a stack at a time. It works, but it takes forever. I'm up to 3 stacks of fodder a day so this takes an appreciable amount of time. If I assign an animal to tend a field of grass/fodder will they send it to the feed bin automatically?

Have you considered leaving a fodder bin in the Mamadoodle den? I like it since it's easy to harvest there's more fodder there per day than my consumption rate, but then I don't have too many monsters around.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The best way to approach Sharance Maze when you're super underleveled is to get a weapon with a poison effect and then run away from the enemies waiting for the poison damage to accumulate until you can oneshot them by poking them. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Poulpe posted:

I finished the second story arc in Rune Factory 4. Apparently the third doesn't open up until you sit through a bunch of NPC events. Is it worth the effort/wait?

Not really for the story, but starting the third arc is the only way to get into Rune Prana for access to all the high-level crafting material.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

YggiDee posted:

Speaking of RF4, how in the heck am I supposed to get through Rune Prana? Everything is level 180 and I'm getting my rear end kicked.

Try training up in that dungeon you buy with points. And by train up, I mean cheese the hell out of fights by throwing the failed medicine potion at them and waiting until the poison ticks down.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

YggiDee posted:

:stare: I didn't know I could do that with failed potions. But I basically did this but cut out the middleman and poisoned everything in Rune Prana instead. Then I found a treasure chest with a spear that had 2.5* the attack power of my strongest weapon and the problem solved itself. I'm finally free! ...And by free I mean that I am still playing because Arthur wants golden loving turnips.

I like the potions better because they inflict every ailment, including sleep. :v:

The failed dishes will outright take out HP (high level super ones take out 100% iirc), which could be more useful depending on situation.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 1, 2015

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay, I'm getting my butt kicked by the Obsidian Mansion. What should I be doing to upgrade my weapons and armor? Oh, and can I do anything about my allies' attack power and defenses?

The reason they're so weak is that they're wearing the super basic weapons/armor. You can give them better equipment, and the last one you give is the one that applies. Some of the characters will turn out to be stronger than you all stats being equal!

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Am I in the clear if I managed to snag one from Forte? :v: (she gave one to me when I upgraded her weapon.)

Is Doug's friendship level stuck at 3.99999 or whatever? It doesn't seem to be increasing at all anymore.

It's a plot gate, for a looooong time.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is one tiny dungeon area that's gated behind having a kid and spouse, though I've never seen it because I apparently have as much luck as Henry VIII.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

So what's the point of levels on items? Is there a reason to raise my crop levels to 10?

They sell for more, plus anything you make using them. You can buy the highest level crops/seeds you've shipped. There's a quest down the line that asks you to ship a level 10 crop too.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

YggiDee posted:

The higher sale value is probably the big one because you (generally) aren't putting crops in your weapon recipes.
Cooked food also increases in sale value and you get better stat buffs from them. Hot Milk heals you +2000 rp at level 9 or so and it's incredibly easy to make, so it's good if you're planning on doing a poo poo load of crafting. There's a tricky recipe that can increase my max RP by 40% right now, for when I absolutely positively have to forge that high-level weapon.
Also stores will sell seeds at the highest level you've shipped but any crops they sell will be level 1, so if you want the good poo poo you have to grow your own.

All of the crops and flowers I've grown and shipped I can buy at level 10 though, except for the tree fruits and stuff like color grasses.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

LLSix posted:

By the end of the first month every single square of my field had under 100 health. Quite a few were in single digits with hefty penalties to growth speed. It is never too early to start growing corn to heal the fields. Corn on the cob is also the most profitable crop and gives your cooking skill a nice boost.

Have I been wasting my time growing an entire field of pineapples out of season this whole time???

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Best thing about pineapples is that you can buy level 10 ones and still turn a profit shipping the juice.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Should I try to level up those crystal flowers, or should I just ship them/save them for crafting since you can only get their seeds from that tree?

There are quests that ask you to harvest each of the crystals and the flower shop will stock their seeds after you complete them.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Bolverkur posted:

I bought Story of Seasons and while I do like it, then the startup is really slow and the dialogue NPCs have to offer is not that varied. RF4 has really upped the standard for this. The character runs out of energy really fast, with no option I can see to renew it besides eating at the expensive restaurant. This results in no energy before noon each day, with nothing really left to do. I'm still just in mid-spring, so this all might change, but it's kind of frustrating comparing to the variety of things to do in RF4 from the get-go.

It's super dumb, and because of complaints by Japanese players, it's why they added Sapling mode, which gives you a workable amount of stamina.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Junpei Hyde posted:

Seeing as they specified "the bond between boyfriend and girlfriend", I somehow doubt it.

That sounds more like the Gematsu guy's wording. I'd have to see the Japanese text, but the screenshot with the guy uses the gender neutral "koibito".

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Oh great, I have to wait for the RNG to line up in my favor to start the 3rd arc? :suicide:

The level jump when you do start it is pretty sharp anyway, so at least they expect you to take a while to trigger it?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

Okay that was fast. Memories triggered on the next town event. I guess complaining does work. :v:

How high are we talking here?

I think they expect you to be around at least level 150? At that point though, your equipment matters much more than your base stats.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dr. Fetus posted:

I hate mammoths! :argh:

Edit: Okay any tips for Crystal Mammoth 2? I think I just ran into a brick wall here. Over and over:

Its ice attacks are water based, so if you get equipment with water resistance that totals up to 100%+ (sapphire brooch and forging), you'll take no damage from its big attacks.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Buying level 10 pineapples and turning them into juice already turns a profit. It's easy, easy money.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I mean, I married Dylas too, but Arthur seems fine and cute, if a bit boring.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Im probably interpreting this wrong but

gay??????
[/quote]

I feel like they have those words in that order for a reason.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Not that I'm complaining, but does every Wayne event have another man comment on how perfect and pretty he is?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Holy crap, you still have access to your ingredients in storage for the cooking festival? :psyduck:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Never marry anyone who makes you chop 20 pieces of wood each time, imo.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Catalina posted:

Hahahaha. No, I'm USA, I've just always felt bad for my NTSC friends, ever since the SNES days.

NTSC is America, as opposed to PAL for Europe.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
There is but you have to wear down their FP until like one heart, so it'd take a long rear end time if you want to also see the other events.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
The wine maker that also requires 15 coconuts to make. :v:

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Well, if they grow faster, you would have fewer instances to fertilize them before harvesting, so maybe the gains won't be as good?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You basically have all the postgame features by the time you finish the second arc, so that shouldn't be a problem in this case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don’t really see much separating Cook, Serve, Delicious from other frantic multitasking time managers other than its surface level aesthetic. I wouldn’t really call it a cooking game.

• Locked thread