Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

bobkatt013 posted:

That is not true. Ron's wand was a bit of a gently caress up until he got one that was his own, and not just a hand me down. Neville's badass leveal went up when he got his own one and was not just using his parents.

Neville's parents were defeated by Bellatrix Lestrange, so the whole time Neville was trying to use a wand that had switched allegiance to a Dark Witch. Even before getting the new wand he had a talent for Herbology, one of the only non-wand classes, but he's terrified of Death Eaters and predictably terrible at the class taught by a Death Eater. Neville was never a terrible wizard, he was just saddled with a wand that actively worked against him.

ArtIsResistance posted:

As a grown adult, can anyone share tips for stopping people from bullying you for reading a book for children?

I'm driving 8 hours to play in a quidditch tournament this weekend, so people who ridicule me certainly aren't ridiculing me for reading the book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Maybe that's why students had to study so hard for their OWLs - the teachers didn't actually help them learn what they needed to know.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PriorMarcus posted:

That would all be a lot more dignified without the loving sticks between their legs.

Yeah, there are weird holdovers from the fact that it's adapted from Harry Potter - the brooms, the snitch, the fact that goals are 10 points instead of 1. As a competitive sport it's a lot of fun, and basically like rugby where the small players can throw dodgeballs as an alternative to tackling. It works well as a coed sport because the keeper, centre chaser, and one beater should be big and strong while the wing chasers and other beater should be small and nimble. But I don't know when the best time would be to make the jump from "Harry Potter fangame" to "real sport".

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Inveigle posted:

And I've always wondered if James might have used a love potion to make Lily fall for him.

You have to dose the victim constantly, if you ever stop then the victim knows immediately.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

QuoProQuid posted:

I'm almost positive this is stated outright at one point, but can't remember where or by whom.

Firenze the centaur says it obliquely, and Harry fills in the blanks.

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone posted:

"The blood of a unicorn will keep you alive, even if you are an inch from death, but at a terrible price. You have slain something pure and defenseless to save yourself, and you will have but a half-life, a cursed life, from the moment the blood touches your lips."
Harry stared at the back of Firenze's head, which was dappled silver in the moonlight.
"But who'd be that desperate?" he wondered aloud. "If you're going to be cursed forever, death's better, isn't it?"
"It is," Firenze agreed, "unless all you need is to stay alive long enough to drink something else -- something that will bring you back to full strength and power -- something that will mean you can never die. Mr. Potter, do you know what is hidden in the school at this very moment?"
"The Philosopher's Stone! Of course -- the Elixir of Life! But I don't understand who --"
"Can you think of nobody who has waited many years to return to power, who has clung to life, awaiting their chance?"
It was as though an iron fist had clenched suddenly around Harry's heart. Over the rustling of the trees, he seemed to hear once more what Hagrid had told him on the night they had met: "Some say he died. Codswallop, in my opinion. Dunno if he had enough human left in him to die."
"Do you mean," Harry croaked, "that was Vol-"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

At multiple times in the books, especially near the end, JKR introduces some magical law of physics to help the plot move along. In the Half-Blood Prince, Dumbledore explains that Voldemort's boat detects the number of wizards on board but does so by detecting "magical power", as if that's a measurable quantity attached to each wizard. Conveniently, the combined powers of the most powerful wizard ever and an adept underage wizard don't trip the magical sensors. She could have avoided the whole thing by just having a line like, "this rickety boat will barely fit us both." It's not like Voldemort or Regulus would have trusted any other human with the location of the horcrux anyway, so I think the idea that magical power is a measurable thing is just meaningless weight on an already convoluted magical system. How does this help the plot in any way?

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The whole scene leads to all these complicated questions, when the rule is just unnecessary. If it weren't for the wizard-detecting vote, Voldemort and Kreacher would have placed the horcrux, Regulus and Kreacher would have retrieved the horcrux, and Harry and Dumbledore would have retrieved the false horcrux. It's not a plot hole, it's just unnecessary plot weight.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Don't even try thinking about wizard economics, the prices would be completely hosed. Anything that can be transfigured would be ludicrously cheap, because someone could just sit around turning bricks into pewter cauldrons all day. The only valuable goods would be food and magical items.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PT6A posted:

Is it impossible to transfigure things into gold? This is never discussed, and yet apparently one of the great things about the Philosophers' Stone is it turns things into gold. Are valuable things harder to transfigure other things into, perhaps?

Do you have to know every quality of an item in order to create it through transfiguration? If it were, it's obvious why something like a bookstore would exist, since you would have to know the entire contents of a book to create it, or why broomsticks are valuable (presumably it's the enchantment part, not the broom part, that makes a broomstick worthwhile).

Food is one of the five exceptions to Gamp's Law of Elemental Transfiguration, according to Hermione. You can't turn something into food - although she says you can increase the quantity of food, so maybe a wizard family could avoid going hungry by magically duplicating their pantry. Presumably some of the other laws say that you can't transfigure other things into money, and maybe there's some kind of physical or legal law that prevents transfiguration for profit. I looked it up, and the other exceptions to Gamp's Law are never actually stated in the books.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

JKR said in an interview before book 4 that there is legislation making it illegal to transfigure certain things. Presumably anything you can buy in a shop is illegal to transfigure, since otherwise it would be too widely available to sell. The Ministry of Magic is absurdly repressive.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

PT6A posted:

There's probably something of a pacifist streak in them too, because I can only imagine the deaths and maiming that would happen pretty much everywhere if people were simply allowed (and basically encouraged) to open-carry wherever they went from the age of 11 onward.

The list of characters who are hospitalized as a result of underage duelling includes Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Draco, Crabbe, and Goyle, plus Hagrid hexes Dudley for stealing a cake. Pretty much everyone gets in a very violent fight at a rather young age, and wizards overlook it instead of expelling students for trying to permanently maim fellow 12-year-olds. The wizarding world is a violent place, even though people don't casually use the Killing Curse.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

TARDISman posted:

That's what Moody points out in his first class, that Neville or Ron could point their wands at him and scream Avada Kedavra as loud as they wanted and it'd maybe give him a nosebleed. Didn't that also get proven by Harry trying to use the Cruciatus Curse on Bellatrix in 5?

Incidentally, this is something that bugs me. If there's no countercurse and no protection against Avada Kedavra, what determines if it kills Moody or not? Is every Killing Curse either effective or not, and the effective ones can't be stopped by anything? Or does their power exist on a sliding scale, which means that a weak Avada Kedavra can be stopped by simply being a powerful enough wizard? I suppose I can't expect accuracy from Moody, since he's really Barty Crouch in disguise.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

howe_sam posted:

The Order took them into protective custody at the start of Deathly Hallows, and oh wouldn't that have been fun to read, Vernon Dursley spending a year being guarded by wizards.

I'd buy that book for sure. Rowling shouldn't have started on other series, there's so much more content in Harry Potter.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

Random question, but: I'm curious what house people think that Fleur Delacour and Victor Krum would have been sorted into, had they gone to Hogwarts.

Fleur is fiercely loyal, first to her school and her sister and later to Harry after he saves Gabrielle. That's Hufflepuff.

I don't want to go for the obvious answer that Krum belongs in Slytherin just because he goes to the Dark Arts school, especially given my theory that Slytherin house only became evil because of Voldemort cursing it like he cursed the DADA job. Maybe Ravenclaw because he studies a lot and has a reputation as a smart quidditch player. Or maybe Krum is Slytherin because he was aiming high from a young age and ultimately came out of retirement to win the Quidditch World Cup at age 38.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The only mention of Grindelwald before book 7 is a sentence fragment in Philosopher's Stone: "Considered by many to be the greatest wizard of modern times, Dumbledore is particularly famous for his defeat of the Dark wizard Grindelwald in 1945..."

I guess defeating a dark wizard in 1945 creates a Hitler parallel, but there is no description of Grindelwald at all outside of that.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

jivjov posted:

So I was having Deep and Meaningful Shower Thoughts, and I think I may have managed to fix Quidditch.

Instead of the Snitch giving 150 points, it just ends the game. That's it. When the snitch is caught, the game ends and whoever has the most points wins. So the role of the Seeker becomes much more about misdirecting the opposing Seeker than just pressing the Win Button. The Seeker can't just keep an eye on the Snitch and follow it around; the other Seeker could swoop in and grab it. So the Seeker needs to have a good situational awareness of where the Snitch is, but also be good about leading the other Seeker away. This lets Harry the Seeker still be a super cool rockstar special snowflake...but without breaking the veneer of quidditch being a legitimate sport.

I also thought about how to resolve ties, and my thoughts went along the lines of making a couple smaller changes to the game. Make the center goal hoop smaller, and worth 20 points, tie-breaker condition being whichever team scored the most 20-point goals, and a couple other conditions below that. That could even set up some funny line from Ron or Wood (in Book 1 when Harry needs quidditch explained to him) about how the 9th tie breaker condition down is whichever team has the fewest injured players or somesuch.

I play muggle quidditch. The snitch is worth 30 points, and is allowed to run off the field for the first 15 minutes to make early catches much rarer. When a team is down by more than 30, the seeker's job is to tackle the opposing seeker. Ties are broken with overtime, and if there's another tie the next score wins.

The most important change to fix the game is that the Snitch should be worth 3 points, and a goal 1 point. Describing the scores is stupid because every number is ten times bigger than it ought to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Davros1 posted:

Some of my favorite character moments are from OotP. There's one where the kids are coming back from Hogsmeade, and Hermione brings up the way Cho was looking at Harry and just for the briefest moment the camera pauses on Ginny's face who looks heartbroken.

And then the scene in the Room of Requirement, where everyone's leaving, and Ginny is one of the last ones out, looking back, leaving Harry and Cho the only ones in the room.

And when Ginny successfully does the Reducto curse, the utter look of elation on her face, and Harry responds in kind, is such joy to watch.

There's a great moment they came up with in Deathly Hallows Part Two. When Harry seemingly comes back to life after his body is brought back to the castle, there's a shot where almost everyone stands around astonished. Except Molly, who mutters "Fred" and turns back towards the castle.

• Locked thread