Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

There's actually some really good information in the latest Prisoner of Azkhaban chapters of Pottermore. The following about werewolves from Rowling is pretty cracktastic: "One curious feature of the condition is that if two werewolves meet and mate at the full moon (a highly unlikely contingency which is known to have occurred only twice) the result of the mating will be wolf cubs which resemble true wolves in everything except their abnormally high intelligence. They are not more aggressive than normal wolves and do not single out humans for attack. Such a litter was once set free, under conditions of extreme secrecy, in the Forbidden Forest at Hogwarts, with the kind permission of Albus Dumbledore. The cubs grew into beautiful and unusually intelligent wolves and some of them live there still, which has given rise to the stories about ‘werewolves’ in the Forest – stories none of the teachers, or the gamekeeper, has done much to dispel because keeping students out of the Forest is, in their view, highly desirable".

As if being a werewolf isn't rough enough, some poor werewolf woman gave birth to a litter of cubs? drat...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

PT6A posted:

Was Lupin getting his freak on with another werewolf during his time at Hogwarts? Going through that once could explain why he was so scared of marrying Tonks and having a kid (I recall he was really freaked out that it would turn out to be a werewolf too).

She doesn't mention who it actually was...

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Some pure blood wizards are super racist and don't consider muggleborns full witches/wizards.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Davros1 posted:

Also, she's seventeen. She may be the brightest kid at Hogwarts, but she's still immature in some manners.

I thought the main reason she made them forget her was that she could plant the idea of moving away to Australia... She was worried they would have refused to leave her in such a dangerous situation, stuck around, and gotten themselves killed.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

When did she say she was doing prequels? Did I miss something? The Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them movies are supposed to happen chronologically before Harry Potter but I wouldn't count them as prequels since they appear to be very disconnected from Harry's story.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 10, 2014

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I got the impression the article was misquoting her.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Well we're getting a Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, will be someday get a Quidditch Through the Ages book? I'm not really sure how that would be done, unless it's just made into a magical sports movie following a ragtag group of underdog misfits.

To be honest, a movie about the Chudley Cannons managing to overcome a centuries old Quidditch curse (I think Rowling insinuated once it was a literal curse) and win the Quidditch World cup could be pretty fun. Rupert Grint could cameo as some rabid fan whose painted himself orange and is crying manly sports tears as his favorite team wins the finals.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Mar 17, 2014

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I stand corrected. If anyone has just read JK Rowling's new lengthy write up about the history of the Quidditch World Cup on Pottermore and she's pretty much written plot synapsis to several intriguing Quidditch movies.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Xachariah posted:

Also wizards live longer, Dumbledore was about 150 when he died.

edit: or 115, whatever, I dont know, JKR isn't exactly known for consistency.

I got the impression he was pulling a Rocky IV and coming out of retirement for 'one more chance at the gold' or whatever.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

bobjr posted:

Harry also seems to not age at all on those covers.

I rather like the art and coloring except for that rather jaring problem. It looks fine on the year one and even the year two cover, but tiny 11 year old Harry in Deathly Hallows is weird.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

api call girl posted:

Most of the series worked for me, that way, except for Umbridge in book 5. Umbridge was totally over the line in book 5.

I thought Umbridge was the 'realist evil' in the books. Voldemort is this fairytale pure evil soul that most of us will thankfully never come across. It's hard to emotionally connect to. Umbridge is that evil bitch who taught you in 9th grade science class.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I'd like to see Matt Smith in the roll, even if that if a super nerdy pick. For some reason I'm picturing Newt Scamander as a tall, gangly, and awkward British guy. Matt Smith is the epitome of that in my head.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

JohnSherman posted:

I suppose if Doctor Who is your only exposure to British media, this might seem like a good idea.

It should be Alexander Siddig though.

He's way too old. Newt is supposed to be in his twenties for at least the first film (the time frame has been stated already by the press). Alexander Siddig circa Deep Space 9 cold have worked but he's past the age range now.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Pidmon posted:

"Thoughts" or "A mind", vs "Time", "Fate", "Death", there's probably one with a open freezer full of human hearts where Dumbledore discovered about Lily's sacrifice by experimenting on Love.

I thought for the longest time that the death archway (Stargate?) was going to come up again. I think that's why they pointedly made sure to show that Sirius was dead already before he fell into the archway in the Order of the Phoenix movie.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 25, 2014

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I thought Harry's attitude in book 5 made a lot of sense. After all the poo poo he's been through, it was about time he started to get pissed about it.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

PT6A posted:

Good question. Also, how would you die of "natural causes"? I mean, dealing with non-magical ailments like cancer or pneumonia or heart disease can't be that hard. You could just cast a vanishing spell on a tumour or whatever.

Also, it seems like we don't know of anyone that died of natural causes in the entire series, except (possibly) Hagrid's dad. Maybe I'm misremembering, mind you.

On Pottermore JK mentioned that there's wizard specific diseases that muggles can't get. Wizard cancer I guess.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Pottermore had a lengthy write up about Wizarding government released last Halloween.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

Didn't they also say that they were having so many people come to the World Cup that floo powder was unusable? There are also certain fireplaces that can be used with it. The portkeys can be to a predetermined location and it can be anywhere.

Only so many people can be flung out of a fireplace at once. The pile starts to block the opening.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Paragon8 posted:

The whole World Cup segment I find extremely problematic. Mainly due to the attendance numbers. 100k wizards throws so many other calculations off. With regard to logistics it seems very strange that with port keys, apparition and floo powder you'd need people to camp out for weeks prior to the match. Muggle sporting events easily deal with those crowds in a day.

Not all those Wizards were from England or even Britain, though. I think Pottermore said that international travel was difficult for wizards because they make plane electronics go haywire.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Goblins defintily have some magical charms on their own coins to prevent counterfitting. I think the real money would be had manipulating the exchange rate between various muggle and wizard money. Rich pure bloods would be too good to deal with muggle money and Goblins probably aren't able to keep abreast of Muggle financial institutions very well. Some enterprising muggle-born could make a killing.

As far as food is concerned. Hermione does make some 'food like' stuff for the trio on their camping trip in book 7. Maybe transfigured food can look like food pretty easily, but managing it to taste, look, and digest like food is extremely difficult.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

They're not new stories, they're just new pottermore information. The media keeps posting this wrong story over and over and over...

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I don't know if you can really make a good one to one comparison with guns/wands though. Guns can't perfectly mend a broken cup or charm your vegetable garden to grow better. They're rather practical too. A lot of the spells (like the killing curse) require a lot of intent behind them to pull off. Just knowing the incantation and wand movements seems like not enough. You've got to really want to get your murder on vs. guns going off accidently.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Harry was wanting to hurt Draco pretty badly in the Sectumsempra scene. He was shocked at himself afterwards, but he's not above some darkness of his own.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

There's a Department for new spells in the ministry. I assume there's some actual investigating going on at the Department of Mysteries, too. Who knows how much actual methodical testing is going on though.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Pidmon posted:

"Hey did anyone get rid of that adult with the baby's head from when those loving kids broke in?"

I think in the book his whole body became a baby again. I vaguely remember JK Rowling saying he was given to his family and raised over again. Now there's a weird and awkward thing to grow up with, especially if the guy had kids and a wife.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

PT6A posted:

Presumably, when she reversed the spells, she added another memory that they'd just had a lovely, long vacation in Australia and were now ready to get back to their normal life.

Never finding out she wiped your memory feels even worse. Dance parent puppets! Dance!

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Memory charms are probably harder on someone who knows that memory charms exist.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Paragon8 posted:

It makes you wonder what the end game for an evil wizard is. You take over the muggle world and then what... really the only thing muggles can offer wizards is material resources and being really bad versions of house elves.

Not having to hide anymore would sway quite a few wizards. Its kind of inevitable that the Statute of Secrecy will be broken completely. Muggles seem to be catching up little by little.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Jan 13, 2015

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I don't think JK Rowling meant for the Dursley abuse to be marginalized or downplayed. I think it seems that way because the story is from Harry's perspective. It's Harry's "normal" and he doesn't realize how hosed up it is.

I bet it's something that Ron and Hermione have talked about when Harry's not around. Even Ron knew enough to get his brothers to get Harry in the dead of night in Second Year when he thought Harry wasn't getting his letters. I don't think the Weasley parents realized the extent until 4th year, though.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I just feel like if Mrs. Weasley knew they were starving him, she would have been down there right away. In 4th year when Mr. Weasley came to pick up Harry he seemed genuinely shocked by their attitude towards him. Ron probably told his parents, but they stocked it up to a kids overreaction/embellishment.

I wonder what would have happened if Molly had shown up to pick up Harry in 4th year... The twins wouldn't have tried the magic candy ploy for sure so maybe things wouldn't have escalated as much, but if they'd treated Harry like that in front of her I can't imagine she wouldn't have very least told them off.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Snape still could have loved Lilly and also grew up to be a terrible bitter person. If he was always an rear end, Lilly wouldn't have been his friend to begin with.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

Snape wasn't born evil or I'd argue was even a jerk when he entered Hogwarts. I don't see why his later actions should invalidate his younger self. Besides, you can love someone and still be a bad person. The world isn't broken up into good people and death eaters.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

TheModernAmerican posted:

People hated the pope because he was forced into the Hitler Youth. Genuinely wanting to replace the British government with a wizard-run dictatorship in a violent coup should totally invalidate the fact that he was a cute kid. Normally I hate Nazi analogies because they are so cheap, but the Death Eaters wanted to kill or enslave every non-pureblood in the world, they actually wanted to do something with a Hitlerian level of violence, hatred, and scale. Snape wasn't a hero, he was the right hand man of the greatest evil to ever exist in the wizarding world.

I wasn't saying that you should excuse Snapes actions because he an okay kid. I'm saying you can't retroactively say Snape was always evil because he became a bad person later on. It was his choices that brought him there, not some default way he was born. This is a pretty important theme of the series...

Most of the series characters aren't played in two dichtomy black/white situation, except for Voldemort which is why he's the most boring character of the series, imho.

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Mar 19, 2015

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

It was a common rumor that the position was cursed so he had a hell of a time finding defense against the dark arts teachers (according to Pottermore). Anyone actually good at the position would have known to stay the heck away from it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I think they could have gotten Binns to leave if they really wanted to. The ministry was able to get Myrtle to stop harassing Olive Hornby and confine her to Hogwarts. Binns probably saves the school a ton of money since that's one professor they don't have to feed, house, or presumably pay.

• Locked thread