Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
The guy who writes about boxing/MMA in the tri-state area is worth reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I like Adrian Wojnarowski, but his latest article is just terrible - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--b...-174058736.html

I don't know where to start. His premise (how dare you make fun of this poor child!) is horrible, his examples (people on Twitter, who last I checked aren't actually playing in the NBA) is poor, and he's making the biggest mountain possible out of this molehill. Knight got dunked on and that poo poo happens. It'll happen again soon and we'll all flip our poo poo over that play. Should we demand Darryl Dawkins apologize to Bill Robinzine's family for breaking the backboard over him and putting his name in the dunk? If Brandon Knight instead got his ankles broken on a Chris Paul crossover, is that still as bad?

The whole thing is bad. It's so hand-wringing and hugboxy that I'm hoping it comes out that Woj lifted it wholesale from Tumblr.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I want that Detroit vs. Everybody shirt Rose is wearing. I just don't wanna have to pay some 40+ bucks to do so.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Bamboozled. I love me a good bamboozlin'.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Thaddius the Large posted:

Yeah, one of my good buddies married the daughter of an Iditarod winner, she herself ran the Junior race a few times, and it really does make people go nuts out there, Lovecraft missed out on a writing opportunity regarding the Alaskan wilderness.

If you have Netflix, the Top Gear episode where they go to the North Pole is riveting. The two in a truck put themselves through hell, and that only scraps the surface of the one with sleddogs. That the Iditarod is held at all is sheer madness.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

ElwoodCuse posted:

I can't imagine they are laying off anyone you'd ever see or notice, or anyone who can't be replaced (if need be) by someone out of journalism school willing to work for $10/hr for 25hr/wk

FYP.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
And it doesn't address the first quarter drop, when the NBA Playoffs haven't began.

So who's ready for Primetime First Take everyone?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

soggybagel posted:

The show was awful. Which made it funnier that the NFL cared that much.

Wasn't there an episode where a guy (i think the running back) smoked crack right before a game?

And during! Playmakers was not that great a show, and I speak as someone who owned the DVD set.

Now, if they were to put it on HBO/Showtime and set it within the SEC, now you got a stew goin'.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The broken bones posted:

If your entire network is predicated on this, then what the hell is your network's mission statement?

Make Money.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

sportsgenius86 posted:

He very clearly states they approached the lawyers because they had absolutely no idea what the legal ramifications could be and that they were openly worried about the suicide aspect of it. To act like they went to the lawyers seeking the comfort of knowing they could be as controversial as possible is pretty blatantly false. If you want to assume what Simmons wrote in the letter is false, then I suppose you're free to do that, but the statement itself didn't actually convey that at all.

There's an old saying along the same lines of "Dead men tell no tales" that "Dead men don't file libel suits." If anything, that makes me believe that they might not have outed Dr. V if she hadn't have killed herself. It also makes me wonder if they were debating whether or not she could have been considered a public figure, which would make the barrier for showing harm significantly higher.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

tinstaach posted:

I was about to ask why the union didn't raise an issue, but then I remembered that Jon Dowd Bonds wasn't in the union.

I thought Bonds had only withdrawn his likeness for games/cards/whatever?

And the problem with Bonds' collusion is that he'd have to prove it, and it's too easy for all the clubs to just say "we don't want a 40 year old with an injury history even though he'd be the best hitter on our team by a country mile" without documented proof. The owners being dumbshits and making their collusion obvious is what busted them before. Like String said, don't take notes on a criminal loving conspiracy.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'll give him :10bux: to go by Busta Olney for a week.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Where is this and when are we going I'll get my clubs.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

morestuff posted:

It's called Top Golf. They've got a few locations nationwide.

5 hours from where I live is the closest. Motherfuck.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Pablo Sandoval strikes back against the liberal terrorist elite media, destroys beat writer's computer

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Sports Media Sheep Game is now open. You should come play! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3643521

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Poonerman posted:

I'd be shocked if this hasn't been done already

It has.

http://www.everydayshouldbesaturday.com/2012/2/16/2802236/darren-rovells-century-of-legendary-tweets

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
"What will Tony Stewart killing a man do to his brand? We'll talk to Darren Rovell but after the break, what would Johnny Manziel say about this and should he dedicate his next game to the memory of Derek Ward? Stephen A. and Skip debate. More First Take after this."

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
A good article about TFF's favorite QB:

http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11382220/ex-nfl-qb-jared-lorenzen-lifelong-battle-weight

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
jesus christ Eric LeGrand https://twitter.com/EricLeGrand52/status/503739731545698304

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Simmons has also said he'd follow wherever the NBA TV deal went, so if either Turner or the NBA itself would let him do what ESPN currently is, I'd imagine he'd jump in a heartbeat and Olbermann some bridges on the way out.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
You can argue that the three-week suspension is due to Simmons being suspended for conduct before, so a longer than usual punishment is necessary since a normal person would have been fired but Simmons isn't on the normal person scale. ESPN would rather not acknowledge that Simmons has stepped on toes before so they'll take the backlash as being tone deaf as the better option.

Simmons might be directly untouchable, but if they wanted to get back at him they'd fire a couple Grantland staffers in the next wave of cuts. I'd be curious to see the reaction if that happened.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

The new 538 is awful but yeah no reason to dump it before the election

538's a victim of the election cycle in that interest will be at it's highest during a presidential election, with the next peak coming up during these elections and far less appealing during the down times. They're attempt to get into sports and other potpourri poo poo was trying to expand the brand but people aren't buying it yet and the burrito poo poo was an expensive mistake. Odds are it'll slim down after the election and cut staff with a refocus towards the serious issues.

As for Simmons, I still think Turner would grab him in a heartbeat if he leaves ESPN, possibly going in on a solo Grantland. What Dan Patrick has done since leaving ESPN is the mold, with his podcast/website in place of Patrick's radio show and working on Inside the NBA for SNF. Not to go full Rovell, but Simmons' brand isn't strong enough to survive on his own and he'll need someone's help to stand on his own feet.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
All these snitches and none are getting stitches. Shameful.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Speaking of the thread title, someone alert Tumblr it's time to hit DEFCON20 (again) https://twitter.com/dennisdoddcbs/status/553981170883371008

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I read Bob Ryan as Bob Ley and almost got really mad.

At least Ryan used to be really good writing about basketball before the NBA really blew up way back in the day. More than we can say about some of those other hacks.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

As far as I know they put a lot of money into it (it's got a decent sized office in LA Live, I've heard the writers do relatively well, and the studio seems pretty nice), link it on the front page of ESPN.com, and have even given it multiple hours of occasionally awkward TV. I guess I'm not sure what else he wants.

Deadspin was right when they mentioned it's basically negotiating. Ask for ten times what you actually want so you'll be "satisfied" when you only get five times what you want.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah. He Tweeted out something that you could find in five seconds on Football-Reference if you were interested. What would have been far more interesting was if Rovell had discussed how much money Borland would have potentially been walking away from, supposing that if he keeps playing football he's a key player in the 49ers defense and has at least a decent career.

Eh, the only contract you're guaranteed to have is the current one, who knows if he would have blown out his knee or something and has his career end that way. Speculating on future earnings is pointless, which amazes me that Rovell doesn't do it.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I've had nightmares that Simmons leaves ESPN and Grantland gets turned over to Rovell who creates Brandland, a shameless rimjob to #Brands and corporate champions that somehow ends up influencing ESPN's editorial policies and ultimately the world.

I gotta start doing drugs so I can have better dreams, or at least more coherent ones.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

MourningView posted:

Man for all you know some 10 year old kid is going to his first Cavs game ever. Let him have confetti rain down on his head and party.

Why give him the false illusion that good things happen with Cleveland sports?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I have friends that have some insane activities planned if the impossible ever does happen...

Move to a good city?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
One step closer to Darren Rovell's Brandland(c) redefining journalism as we know it. Gird your loins.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

I assume Bill Simmons will handle this with the grace and dignity we all expect from a disgruntled Bill Simmons

For all the shots they've taken at him, how much would Deadspin pay for Simmons' inevitable Ether column? 50K? 100K?

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

DJExile posted:

It was never that great. "National Hockey Night" was one, maaayyybe two nights a week, and even when they did cover the NHL, it never got much coverage on SportsCenter.

Much as I also love Gary, I think he's pretty much just doing baseball in Baltimore these days, He did still call the Frozen Four for a while then they gave it to John Buccigross, who is 100% awful. Bill Clement does color commentary on CSN for Philadelphia Flyers games every once in a while, Steve Levy is pretty much just a Sportscenter studio guy these days, and Barry Melrose tries his damndest to cover for Bucci as color commentator on the Frozen Four.

E: Gary Thorne is 66 now too and he might just want to stick to baseball.

I think he also does the LLWS, which is about as cushy a national gig as you can get.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Akileese posted:

ESPN buying Nate Silver never made a lick of god damned sense and it still doesn't now. I don't know when his deal with them is up, but I'm pretty sure it won't be renewed.

It was more of a joint ESPN/ABC venture and they bought 538 specifically for the next 17 months or so. Afterwards there'll probably be some kind of merger between Grantland or 538, or at least a refocusing on the latter's part.

Of course, Darren Rovell's Brandland(c) will render sports journalism, and eventually all journalism, moot anyway. Love the brand. Worship the #brand.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Why can't we see who the real victim is here: Bill's talentless prep school buddies JackO, House, Sully Sullinger, Big Murph, Little Murph, Just Right Murph, Joey Bavarian, Trent Hippopotamus, Chet A, Chet M, Entourage Seasons 1-3 Box Set, Teen Murph, Johnny Sexcrimes, and A Beer CAn that turns blue to show that it is cold

"My buddy House is literally the greatest eater I've ever seen! Watch him consume all the food in this restaurant!"

:House eats above-average for a middle-aged man and then gives up. Billy Boy proclaims it the 94th greatest sporting event in Boston history, ahead of the time David Ortiz legged out a triple and behind Reggie Lewis' collapse:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

The Casualty posted:

Clearly him being drafted 199th overall is the sign of a greater conspiracy.

199 / 6 <- the round in which he was drafted in
= 33.17

.17 is Bill Belichick's favorite number.

33.17 / 13 <- the median PSI of a properly inflated NFL football
=2.51

2.51 is the amount of pressure Brady did-or-did-not observe to be missing from the footballs

13 - 1 <- The number of times Tom's been caught cheating
=12

12 is Tom Brady's number

THE NFL IS A LIEEEEEEE

12 divided by the number of Super Bowl wins 4, 12/4 = 3

Half-Life 3 confirmed

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

straight up brolic posted:

Grantland does really good traffic for a long form niche website that isn't SEO/social media driven

The problem becomes turning that traffic into a profit without Bill Barnwell breaking down the statistical value of a Subway sandwich or something stupid like that.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
People get attracted to teams for weird reasons. I grew up in the northeast and became a die-hard Sonics fan because they were good when I decided I wasn't gonna root for the same Boston teams like everyone else (and poo poo which #40 was I gonna cheer for, Shawn Kemp or Dino Radja?), and that was helped because the Sonics were good at that time and played exciting basketball. Just don't bring up Mutombo and we're good.

I can't explain why I'm a Lions fan other than my uncontrollable urge to punch myself in the dick at any and all times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
I'm more offended we let him back into the country.