Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

We should make a list of crappy journalists to go in the OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

For some reason Mad Dog Radio on XM hired Steve Phillips (the awful former Mets GM who seems to know nothing useful about anything) to co-host their morning show. Needless to say they're getting flooded with calls asking why they're hiring this loser.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

morestuff posted:

A few years back, ESPN's TrueHoop started a network that brought together a number of fan blogs under one roof. Today, the blog that covers the Heat was kicked out in order to promote ESPN's new Heat microsite that includes two full-time beat writers filing daily stories.

It's entirely within their right to do so, but I don't understand the logic. The Truehoop Network was mostly made up of small-fry bloggers doing their own thing - how was anyone going to confuse it for ESPN's product? How much of a draw is the TrueHoop Network that they felt like the old blog was going to detract from their new coverage?
Did you expect anything less from ESPN though? I sure didn't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OK, if anyone wants to get angry really fast, listen to the Dino Costa show on Mad Dog Radio (on XM) one night. It's so terrible. Basically the host is one of those guys who hates everyone else on the network, to the point where he hijacks the sports updates they do every 30 minutes or so just to prove that he can get away with it.

That, and he's a really racist and bigoted guy, who attracts lots of callers who are the same way.

By some miracle he hasn't quite been fired yet.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

seiferguy posted:

:stare:
That entire quote is :stare:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

hcreight posted:

I wonder how much mainstream traction this story is going to get (publications like USA Today and the NY Daily News both have links up for it already) given the internet-related absurdity involved in this story. I want to see a trashy news magazine like Inside Edition attempting to explain what a fake twitter account is.
We'll see, I hadn't heard about it until I saw the name Sarah Phillips showing up on Twitter myself. The story is still ongoing, so it's hard to tell.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

She also somewhat scammed EA Sports Consultants out of a chunk of money for advertising, but repaid them pretty quickly when requested. I guess they (Phillips and Prasad) didn't want the risk of an actual legit business taking them to court. They'll gently caress people who've got no recourse, but not an actual company.
This is probably why they stayed under the radar for so long. The rep from that company admits that they were reluctant to admit they got scammed, which is generally how these kinds of scammers continue to conduct their business.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Henry Meowlins posted:

So even the pictures that she now says are "really her" are fake. I really doubt she has even been the primary author of anything at this point.
That makes more sense to me, honestly. Nothing in her story really added up.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

zakharov posted:

Wow.

Where is this gem from?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Groucho Marxist posted:

This flew kind of under the radar, but Time Warner is looking to buy Bleacher Report for :stonk:200 million dollars:stonk:
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304840904577426524031491042.html
Well this IS the same company that bought AOL when the company was headed towards the toilet...

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Moe_Rahn posted:

while there are a shitfuckload of reasons to hate Jeff Loria, the Marlins' attendance numbers have loving skyrocketed compared to what they were before (home attendance so far on the year is ~1.42M per ESPN, versus ~1.52M for all of 2011 and ~1.53M for 2010; they've already bested the entire season's paid attendance for each year from 2006-2009)
Nobody seems to know this, because that's an inconvenient truth for the people who love to crap all over Miami for being a 'bad sports town'. We averaged less than half of this year's attendance, and it's a huge accomplishment in my view to more than double attendance in one year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

how much input did he have on the dinger machine, though?
It was entirely his idea. He had the work commissioned by a local artist, Red Grooms.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Goog posted:

The Dinger Machine is the gaudiest part of an rear end-ugly stadium that cost the residents of Miami an ungodly amount of money to build and will only serve to fill the pockets of Jeffrey Loria, who is one of the worst people on this earth.

But it lights up and spits water so wooooooo dingers.
How is it ugly? I've been there twice. There's nothing wrong with it.

I think a bigger problem than Loria are the local Miami politicians who signed off on the deal. They blew it big time. Unfortunately, as someone who grew up in Miami, local politics in that city are insanely corrupt.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Know what I'd pay $30 for? A book about Paterno written by Anthony Lubrano.
You'd pay $30 for a book that contains 350 pages of WE ARE WE ARE WE ARE?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

How Biased Is Your Announcer?

Nobody will ever guess who is #1

Though frankly the criteria they choose for deciding "homers" is pretty silly. Referring to a player by his nickname?
Just the fact that they randomly selected one game for each team is not really a great piece of analysis.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

All I've been hearing from the traditionalist sports media this week is variations on "TROUT SHOULDN'T WIN THE MVP BECAUSE THE ANGELS AREN'T GOING TO THE PLAYOFFS, THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS!".

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

It is literally impossible for sportswriters to understand that a player can be good on a bad baseball team even though the best loving player is worth at the very most maybe 10 wins out of a 162 game season.
I've also started hearing the argument today that 'well, Trout didn't help them that much, since the Angels went like 62-60 after he was called up'. Yes, because as we all know one player makes all the difference on a 25 man baseball team. Ughhhhhhh.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Posnanski is probably right, and the radio host I was listening to is probably wrong as usual.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Most of the Something Awful generation will remember him as a doddering, senile man who would be rolled out on ESPN from time to time to make awful pronouncements about how good Notre Dame was when the team record was 2-8.
Isn't that half of ESPN?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

Now I'm not saying that Chris Kluwe should shut up and keep his views about Gay Marriage to himself and focus on being an NFL "employee", I'm just saying that he should thank his lucky stars that he hasn't been cut for not shutting up and keeping his views about Gay Marriage to himself and just focusing on being an NFL "employee".
I'm a little surprised none of the terrible sportswriters in this country have said this until now

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The Pussy Boss posted:

Rob Neyer at SBNation has a piece up about the worst baseball writing of the year. My favorite is the Detroit writer covering the World Series ripping on San Francisco fans for being effete wine-drinkers, more or less. Somehow I missed that one.
Thankfully he didn't forget the 'Bryce Harper, Conservative Hero' article

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Buster Olney continues to wag his finger at the MLBPA for not 'doing enough' on drug testing. You know, after they just agreed to HGH blood testing like two weeks ago? I swear he's written about 5 of these articles since the Biogenesis drug list came out.

Most importantly, he seems to compare MLB players to children who won't admit to spilling milk on the floor. No, seriously.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/olney_buster/id/8933326/baseball-complicated-ped-situation-mlb

(Insider Only)

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

This is an amazing article and I wish he could write a full length book about Jordan, because it's just really, really well done.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Rick Reilly actually wrote a pretty good article about the madness that is the NCAA policy on autographs and how colleges are now basically going to stop people from getting players' autographs altogether in some cases because they're so paranoid about eligibility issues. He also found an expert who pointed out that Jadaveon Clowney was probably paid for some of the autographs he's signed, despite South Carolina saying otherwise.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9567169/rick-reilly-ncaa-autographs

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

BasicFunk posted:

In fact, hasn't he pretty much admitted to being an rear end in a top hat with an inflated ego? Seems I remember him saying something to that effect when he split with Current TV.
For the most part he's pretty self-aware these days.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I think Reilly may have topped the 'Bryce Harper: Conservative Hero' writer for worst column this year.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Dave Zirin is awesome, he does a weekly sports show on XM that you can listen to in podcast form.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

ElwoodCuse posted:

Rick Reilly has to be fired. Either he deliberately and completely misrepresented someone or he's too stupid to comprehend basic human interaction.
He should be fired on general principle anyway.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Bomani is great on LeBatard's radio show, but I've never watched the TV version.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Knobler will get a job somewhere.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

peepoogenderparts posted:

Has anyone heard anything about Mike Tyson's new book that came out Tuesday? I'm going to get it on my Kindle tomorrow. Although I'm wondering if it's going to be on CD. And I'm further wondering if he would be reading it.

Because that would be amazing.
I heard him do an interview with Dan Le Betard where he admitted that he wrote the book for money and didn't like doing it, so there's that.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm so glad we're going to be subjected to Paterno deniers/Penn State crazies for years to come.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

The 'the uncredited third writer of the Bell Curve' is a pretty good :iceburn: on Cowherd.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I agree that he needs evidence, but what he wrote is very detailed and probably correct considering the general attitude towards gays by NFL locker room culture.

He does admit though that his performance could have been the reason, which hurts his argument. Plus he was coming off of an injury.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Declan MacManus posted:

Not to derail too much here but two of Christianity's big tenets are "always be converting" and "glorify Christ in all of your acts" (which ties back to the first one) so while I have no doubt that his father certainly hammered home the whole "you are an icon so use that iconography to promote Jesus" thing, it's also written in his religion.
This is more of a hallmark of this particular brand of evangelical Christianity in general.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Good for him, his statement that he have Deadspin to post about his reasoning is on the money.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Yeah he's talked on his show about his favorite athletes being the 'bomb-throwers'

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I like his radio show better, but I'm a Miami native originally.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Anals of History posted:

Surprised Kornheiser and Wilbon blasted LeBatard on PTI. Their argument was that LeBatard has a national reach, he should use it to advocate on behalf of the steroid-era guys. That would be a valid argument if any of the BBWWA guys had shame or the ability to learn.
What prevents him from doing that anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

OTL does a very long article about something called 'Heads Up Football' that is now being taught in youth leagues and sponsored by the NFL. It seems like it's another attempt by the NFL to calm parental concerns about football safety, but in reality it sounds like a method of tackling that isn't going to work.

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/10276129/popular-nfl-backed-heads-tackling-method-questioned-former-players