Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
One of the things most people kind of hate about college, anecdotally, is the lovely classes they make you take freshman year to 'broaden your horizons'. Maybe it's just because I go to a liberal arts college, but there's a lot of resentment if you get stuck with a lovely class in something you don't want to study. I got pretty lucky in that I got to take my two classes with amazing professors. One was a semester all about Homer, and learning that much about the Iliad and the Odyssey from a cultural and historical and literary perspective kinda owned, but the other one was just as good. It was about arguing, and the professor chose pieces not typically studied in higher ed.

He introduced me to Gary Smith of Sports Illustrated. He's kind of unique in that he's won the National Magazine Award an unprecedented four times. There's a great listing of his articles on his wiki page and anyone who likes good writing in general will love him. He's probably well known to anyone that reads SI, but I never really read it cover to cover and now anytime he writes something I make sure to pick it up.

Tangent aside, everyone should read Joe Posnanski(obviously), the sports stuff by John Updike and Michael Smith, and despite his hatred for blogs, Buzz Bissinger is another really good writer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Tavarin posted:

It might just be easier to make a list of good journalists.

It'd be a lot smaller, too. No one really wants to remember all the Plashckes and Mariottis to avoid through all the sports towns.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

e: Silly me, for forgetting one of the more memorable pieces he's ever written. Read this first.

Yeah. And if you want to read the piece that got both Gary Smith and Joe Posnanski into sportswriting really, Hub Fans Bid Kid Adieu is the one everyone should read first(although no sports article is going to ever be as good as it). I know I mentioned Updike, but goddamn, I went and read it again and that's just gorgeous craft.

Ten Cent Beer Night is another classic, and is actually more relevant to me understanding the history of Cleveland now in the wake of LeBron leaving(it is not written in comic sans unfortunately).

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Rick Reilly wrote a really lovely article about a friend of the family who used to play ice hockey with my brothers. The story according to Rick was that the kid, and any guy who play field hockey, are ruining the game and have the potential to kill a high school girl or something and that the kids and parents were assholes for doing it.

What he failed to get in his journalism is that Brad, the kid, was one of the nicest people I've ever met(and politest and all those good adjectives), and that his family were immigrants from South Africa, and field hockey had been a generational and proud thing for them, BUT NO, Rick has to write his stupid baiting, lovely article demeaning a 15 year old kid.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

R.A. Dickey posted:

Oh completely, I still check it every so often out of habit mostly, but its terrible now. The writing is uninteresting, the theme weeks are stupid, and Daulerio just sucks, he seems like he would always be the most annoying guy in the room. Since Leitch left, the site and the writers have this strange, almost elitist attitude that really comes through in the writing and what they cover. The Farve dick pic thing really bothered me. Besides the strange obsession with posting an athlete's penis on the interweb, the complete lack of standards and ethics displayed we're actually pretty shameful and the non defense and utter flaunting of it didn't help.

I don't really read Deadspin, but I have to imagine its rise as the dedicated paparazzi/tabloids of the sports industry is something that will be here to stay, unfortunately. Well, tabloids more than the Post/Daily News/etc.

Other than that, it's going to be no different than TMZ or PerezHilton but those places aren't exactly positive beacons in the news world so I don't really know.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
do old people not know how to use google because OPS and WHIP aren't hard to figure out and you could do it with a slide rule even.

long live felix gently caress the haters

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

R.D. Mangles posted:

Really? Maybe it's just because the only Reilly I've ever read is from his last few years at the back of SI, but I can't imagine that guy writing anything that isn't a festival of hacky bullshit on one of three topics:
1. Inspirational story about someone using sports to Overcome Adversity
2. A lazy Shame on You story about a universally reviled sports personality or, better yet, a little league coach who has exhibited Bad Sportsmanship
3. A story about how awesome it is to be Rick Reilly

All three of these are filled with bad writing, horrible jokes, moronic similes, really dated pop culture references, and, of course, teeth. I'd really appreciate it if someone could link something that Reilly has ever written that won't make me throw up my hands and start losing the ability to properly Capitalize Words in a Sentence.

About the second thing- I think I might have already posted this but he literally called this kid my brothers played hockey with an rear end in a top hat for playing field hockey in Massachusetts a while back when the kid was 15. No highlight that the kid was from South Africa and was a recent immigrant and that field hockey was pretty big in his family. Also this kid was probably the politest kid ever and was super nice to everyone. Reilly also called his parents assholes. In sum, Reilly is a big bitch.

Aye Doc posted:

the Steigerwald who does Penguins games isn't John, thankfully. his name is Paul! I was trying to find out if they're brothers and I do believe I've found my answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2om0LsSDk8

And I'm sorry but I could not stop laughing when this happened because of how bizarre it was for a pro sportscaster to say this.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Mornacale posted:

Why did he call them all assholes?

morestuff posted:

Here's the context.

Yeah my bad I should have made the context clear. He was a pretty decent sized kid playing field hockey with girls. Still, it was lazy, lazy journalism to just point out how guys were playing field hockey and then say that there parents should get hit in the nuts, ignoring all of the issues as to why Brad played field hockey.

He also played ice hockey and broke the glass with a slap shot during practice once so I'm not sure I would want to play field hockey against him either but I wouldn't call a fifteen year old kid out over it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Again, the main thing that people were upset about at the time was that it was such a ridiculous thing to say about Brad because anyone who knew the kid knew that he is literally polite and nice to a ridiculously comic degree even.

It's like calling Stan Musial a bad person or a raci-oh gently caress

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Simmons isn't bad and I really love good long-form journalism but there's probably not a writer that they could get that could outdo Posnanski and Smith for SI unless they dredge up John Updike and tell him to write purely sports articles, so I'll probably go to the SI Vault or Joe's blog more.

That said, I hope it does well enough to continue because that preview article is probably in the 90th percentile of sports journalism, as sad as that is.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
I've liked everything on the site so far. It's another place to get good semi-long form journalism and that's pretty great in my book.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Zifnab posted:

On the plus side, he is literally never right and I look forward to Ichrio hitting .350 from here on out :v:

IIRC he is a notoriously slow starter and this season is (hopefully) just an extension of his normal "i need four months to hit like i'm the beast that i am" trait

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

MorningView posted:

a what now

It's a crappy magazine that I think most people only read when they are pooping or in a waiting room somewhere. I think the world will survive one joke issue.

it is a good pooping magazine, though, you have to admit

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i will say that i watch a lot less baseball than i did pre-sabermetrics but that's mainly because the mariners suck so goddamn bad

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Crazy Ted posted:

I feel like there should be a website called LOOK AT THIS loving DAN SHAUGHNESSY COLUMN

sort of like this?

although i'm not sure it's as hostile as you want(or shank deserves)

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Poz has a good point in that Paterno still has done tons of good things for the community and we shouldn't treat him as some sort of inhuman all around monster, but I'm not sure anyone is saying that so he's kind of strawmanny in this regard.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Atlanta is a loving awful sports town but that has nothing to do with deserving to win anything

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Medical Sword posted:

If someone is prone to breaking commitments and being dishonest those are character traits worth knowing about

No, they're really not, unless you're a party involved.

'dh' apparently stands for 'dinger hitter' now i guess?

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Question for baseball people: is there a consensus on Lincecum's delivery at all? Wasn't there a big hubbub about how his dad was a mechanic and that his athletic delivery puts less stress on the arm than most windups? And now that article says that he's a ticking time bomb. What gives?

I remember the dude on Hardball Times who used to analyze pitching motions was in love with Lincecum, so I don't get it.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

SporkOfTruth posted:

I'd like to encourage people to ask myself or Leokitty for information if you're honestly interested in Writing Stuff for YPS. I still have a notepad of ideas for themes, etc. to cover.

this is just to say

by barry lamar barry

I have dingered
the balls
that were in
the strikezone

and which
you were probably
saving
for jeff kent

Forgive me
they were delicious
so sweet
and so low

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Tae posted:

Actually, he was reminded in Washington one day by a fan. It was hilarious, and he had to be held back.

Please tell me there's more to this.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

LARGE THE HEAD posted:

Exactly. Y'all should read this for some context. Livestrong basically is a sponsorship and bracelet-selling vehicle that makes Lance Armstrong money and makes Americans feel good about cancer.

I was gonna post that. Good article.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I understand that. But on a day-to-day, interaction with the press and most fans basis, he's not. That that might be an act is believable, but with Bonds, you never had to guess, the guy was a prick to just about everyone just about all the time. Some of the stuff about him in Game of Shadows is cartoonish.

He rubbed and took the precious roids,
His muscles grew robust;
He knew no more that he was ignored,
Nor that his legacy dust.
He glanced along the awful prose,
And this request of words
With but a look. What Plaschke
Writes is a piece of poo poo!

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
the mvp should go to barry bonds every year until they make up for colluding against him

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i loving loved yelling at randy winn that time

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

Ratedargh posted:

That's probably a good call. Any top suggestions on who to follow in case I don't already?

Also I'll check out The Classical and that Why We Watch series.

Thanks fellas.

I would check out Longreads. It's not purely sports related but there tends to be a fair amount of sports stuff.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i really don't see what the big issue is when all folks want to do is use the word "rape" for one bad context only. there are so many other words at least like a million of them

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

uublog posted:

Rape is an actual thing that happens to people and it is horribly cruel and violent. Why the gently caress should anyone be literally equating something to the worst experience in a lot of people's lives, just as a dumb loving joke?

i don't know if this was directed at me but i was agreeing with the people who say don't use that word because there are tons of other words to use instead and that we should keep the word rape for actual rape

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
That Deadspin article is top journalism.

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
how the gently caress does chris broussard go to oberlin and come out with those views :psyduck:

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

hcreight posted:

Michelle Malkin is an Oberlin grad. She really ought to win that title.

holy poo poo i had no idea wow

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

FuzzySkinner posted:

I kind of feel that attempting to promote hockey below the mason-dixon line is idiotic. Which again, is half of the US. Like, in my perfect NHL? There would be exactly two "southern" teams, one being in LA, and the other being in Tampa Bay.

The Nashville Predators own and we'll keep them, Thanks

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
gary Smith is possibly the best magazine- first writer in history by acclamation. he is great. speaking of Josh leuke, too, Smith had an article about sexual assault that is great:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1008297/1/index.htm

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

i'm gonna fuckin die

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
please put that on my tombstone when i die

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

wow

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i love smoking football

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
would love to have that bears one

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
does the nbc have room for basketball? kinda curious how they'd do the playoffs at the same time as the nhl

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe

MourningView posted:

The exile the NHL to wherever they needed to to make room but they're not gonna outbid ESPN anyway so I dunno that it matters

ya i mean they'd love to have the nba instead but i would think a lot of that stuff is in their huge contract

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i actually think the upshot is very well written, which makes me wonder how much good editing silver had at the times