Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Panzeh posted:

I don't know, man, pictures of athletes' dongs is pretty interesting journalism, I have to say. Moreso than reading articles about grit and hustle or whatever.

It's more intellectually honest, at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

calcio posted:

Can we just all agree that baseball fans seem to care more about sperging over numbers than enjoying the game. The whole everything can be explained with our beloved sabermetrics is just as terrible as Joe Morgan and his everything can be explained by watching.

And so it has been declared: do not discuss baseball in any fashion, or if you must, do not use predictive stats

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

FairGame posted:

I swear I'm not trolling for clicks.

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/10/finally-an-effective-way-to-rank-nfl-quarterbacks/264154/

I don't know enough about football to be sure, but this really strikes me as the NFL version of "Look at these sabermetric nerds in their mom's basement with their WAR and their BLORP and their BUTT-9s :smug: The best metric is ribbies and that's why Hunter Pence is a great player."

I'm also biased against Barra because of garbage like this:
http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2012/06/how-baseball-jargon-became-nonsense/257940/

quote:

But he wouldn't let go. "That's what you're going by? Championships?"

"Well, yes," I replied. "That's what I would go by, unless winning the game isn't important." That sort of ended the debate.

Surely no person could be that insufferable in person

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Post-concussion symptoms suffered all for the glory of lingerie football

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

"The first ballot is sacred. No one gets in on the first ballot. On the other hand, if you haven't already made it in to the hall of fame, I'm sure as poo poo not going to vote you in now."

what

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

midwat posted:

A decent team in the northeast.

Cuse, UConn, and oh why even bother it's a dead zone for recruiting

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

I probably wouldn't feel good as an editor if I was contributing to a guy's gambling addiction.

"It's only an addiction if you can't afford it."
-Noted Well-Adjusted Human Being Michael Jordan

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

That was Barkley, wasn't it? Or maybe it was both.

I'm sure Barkley has espoused stuff like that in the past, but I was specifically referring to this:

quote:

One stain on Jordan's otherwise clean image was the allegation that he had a compulsive gambling problem. The NBA cleared him in 1993, after conducting two investigations. But today, Jordan admits he's made some reckless choices at the gambling table with his money.

"Yeah, I've gotten myself into situations where I would not walk away and I've pushed the envelope. Is that compulsive? Yeah, it depends on how you look at it. If you're willing to jeopardize your livelihood and your family, then yeah," says Jordan.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

R.D. Mangles posted:

This is a great article about the potential of Smush Parker to cause a chain reaction to preventing the collapse of a Greek commercial titan:

This article is amazing. I'm a sucker for any sports journalism from athletes, though.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Congrats your show already sucks.

but he's so personable how could he not be good on tv

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

barkingclam posted:

I might be alone in this, but I thought Free Darko's basketball book was a lot better. It's a little dated, but still a fun read.

Both are pretty good. I remember talking with Shoals on Twitter at the time and he told me that a lot of the second book had to be retooled to avoid overlapping with Bill Simmons' Big Book of Basketball (Shoals excised a "What ifs" section among other things)

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

The Prisoner posted:

She is also probably the first aerospace engineer to compete as a professional race car driver, so double pioneer status is merited there. :c00lbert:

I had no idea she ran 33 races. I knew she placed 6th at Bristol once, but 33 races is some serious poo poo. She's in the Smithsonian, which is great, but you'd think NASCAR and the like would do more to recognize her legacy now :psyduck:

NASCAR has an exhibit for her right next to the Tim Richmond memorial

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Niwrad posted:

I liked it, but I like his writing style most of the time. I just find the love for him humorous because he does the exact same stuff Simmons does. He wrote a huge piece about "the look" and whether Lebron had it. He routinely writes pieces comparing players to characters from The Wire comic book characters. And once he got off blogspot and was writing for major media outlets, no one seemed to link or care about his stuff anymore.

It's because he doesn't have the freedom to write about whatever he wants, and The Classical is kind of boring and GQ's sports section tends to flatten out writing voices.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

davecrazy posted:

Late career Rick Reilly writes a late career Rick Reilly piece. Shocking.

Unlike the Kaepernick adoption stuff or whatever smug self service poo poo he's been writing lately (almost everything) that particular piece is dead on and good on Rilly for writing it.

Yeah, I tend to agree with this point of view. If he can't write decently, at least he's using the platform he's been given to draw attention to an issue.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

stuart scott irl posted:

One group of people stumbling all over themselves to defend the rights of the poor and downtrodden multinational broadcasting company, another group of people defending Bill goddamned Simmons. Implode thread

Deadspin did a new redesign, that's a thing, right

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Badfinger posted:

So the guy that wrote the Leuke article is actually a 17 year old kid, and not only did he apologize fully and completely but the apology totally replaces the article and is almost as long.

http://rayscoloredglasses.com/2013/03/12/the-better-rays-josh-lueke-pitches-the-more-his-checkered-past-is-pushed-aside/

Maybe I'm easily taken in, but it genuinely sounds like a kid that wasn't able to translate all the things he was thinking into words for others to read and is trying to make amends.

Most 17 year olds are poo poo writers, so I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on it.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

jeffersonlives posted:

Yeah I just can't imagine why those companies are willing to put their logo on this kind of unprofessional trash without any oversight.

It's just not a priority. Anything too volatile gets pulled and an apology gets issued, everything else just goes by the wayside regardless of quality or journalistic merit. I mean poo poo, ESPN is going on month 4 with no ombudsman and they're just chugging along

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

41 PAIRS OF LEATHER PANTS

Really, there's no difference between 41 pairs of leather pants and 2 pairs of leather pants. One pair? Maybe that's a joke. Two or more is a rotation and anything else is just variations on a theme

You know what would've improved The Great Gatsby though

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If this is an April Fool's joke, it's one hell of a setup. He's been observed dressing in this style and has taken pictorials at least dating back to May 2012.

He's a weird guy but poo poo that's his right I guess?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Two bros, chilling in leather pants, discussing their piercings

It's all so Sunset Strip

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

quote:

As a stranger said after admiring my look in a Gucci burgundy jacquard velvet jacket and a Burberry black patent leather trench, "You don't give a gently caress."

quote:

He may have been a teenager, but he ran like a man, none of the gangly flailing that high school kids display when they haven’t quite caught up to their size. I’m not a football coach, but you didn’t have to be a coach to know his greatness.

I cannot reconcile these two writing voices

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Chilly McFreeze posted:

You thought that was Dave Cameron adding up the WARs? No, no. This is Dave Cameron adding up the WARs.

Huh. I thought that was just shorthand for lazy stats analysis. He literally added up the WARs. Astounding.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Why would you not want hitters to exercise plate discipline

What

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Mahoning posted:

Is it just me or did they remove that article?

They did.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Benne posted:

College recruiting is the creepiest drat thing in all of sports.

No, rumored Soviet abortion doping is the creepiest drat thing, but recruiting is pretty skeevy!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

purkey posted:

I was happier not knowing about this!

If it's any consolation, it's only a rumor, mostly centered around the very real abortions that happened in East Germany because of the (legitimate) fear of deformities due to the sheer amount of PEDs that were being ingested at the time.

That's probably not going to make you feel better, huh

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Speewah posted:

I never knew the depths.

I've literally never heard anyone defend Darren Rovell, even as a joke.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, I present for your perusal, Daniel O'Shaugnessy O'Shilelah O'Shea

Do people not realize how crazy racist it is to imply that an entire nationality/ethnicity/whatever of people are cheaters

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

morestuff posted:

The Classical is shifting some of their content towards a paid digital magazine. Doesn't look like the site is doing all that well, which is a bummer.

It's just not able to carve out a niche for itself and it doesn't have the low-level cult accessibility of something like FreeDarko. It's a shame because it's really good stuff.

E: Oh man 5k to go bowling with Bethelhem Shoals, gotta get on that

Declan MacManus fucked around with this message at 17:11 on May 12, 2013

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I reread his Steve Garvey article yesterday and god it's amazing how lovely he's become

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

AlleyViper posted:

After a few raises, maybe

It's an internship and it lets you build connections and get real world job experience :v: imagine having ESPN on your résumé

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

AsInHowe posted:

So does Mitch Albom, a sportswriter in name only.

So does Rick Reilly.

Mitch Albom writes longform Hallmark cards. At least Rick Reilly used to be a writer

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

quote:

It'd be nice to have a home-run chase without a taint.

Whoops too late

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Once again the Spurs have ruined the economy

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

If the Big 12 Were My Little Pony Characters

quote:

A whole lot of flash and explosions and a giant sense of self worth, the great and powerful Trixie is Twilight Sparkle's nemesis, and was responsible for temporarily banishing Twilight Sparkle from Ponyville (to the WAC), only for Twilight to come back more powerful than before and humiliate Trixie.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Yeah, that's the lovely part about MLBAM. They don't make their summary highlights accessible. That should be the easiest thing to find.

MLB is just getting into the whole "people are into sports on the internet" fad so hopefully their infrastructure will improve (it won't)

Crazy Ted posted:

Those napalmed bridges might be springing back up...

See guys? ESPN is doing just fine. Would a desperate network hire Keith Olbermann? I say no, no they would not

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Well you can't write it out and then not post it you lazy jerk.

Although in this case we need to replace Ron Paul's face with Olbermann's.

It's a played out meme either way

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

I for one am happy that racing is getting moved to niche networks

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

MourningView posted:

Well CBS proper is the only network that people in general watch in any significant number, but I don't get the sense that they really care about their lovely cable sports network.

They've also got NFL rights and the most popular CFB conference on their network. They're sitting pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

haljordan posted:

Why is baseball the sport where, much more than the others, the people voting for Hall of Famers want more attention than the actual athletes? The amount of self-serving lazy articles that get spewed out every year is so incredibly awful.

It's a mystery. Basketball has a big hall so no one cares if you're making a point, and the NFL hall of fame just reflects the skewed priorities of the average fan (all QBs, winners only)