Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the idea of standing in line to get an autograph from flo the insurance mascot is unbearably grim

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

IT WILL ALWAYS BE THE BEEF O'BRADY'S BOWL TO ME!!!!!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao

quote:

There’s no replacing the Sun. Without its light, plant life wouldn’t grow, and we wouldn’t have oxygen to breathe or crops to eat. Without its heat, the oceans and land masses would freeze, reducing Earth to “a lifeless ball of ice-coated rock,” just like all the others. Without its gravitational pull to hold the planets in orbit, we’d hurtle without connection or purpose through the incalculable, implacable expanse of space. (Well, more than we already do, anyway.) Nothing can make up for the loss of the spark of radiance that’s supposed to be at the center of it all.

Zion Williamson is the Sun of the New Orleans Pelicans.

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2021/12/14/22834443/zion-williamson-foot-injury-setback-new-orleans-pelicans-trade

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

That sort of 6th grade book report lede seems to be the Ringer house style and it drives me nuts, it blows my mind that there can be editors that are allowing and even encouraging that poo poo.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i haven't listened to much bill simmons over the past several years, but i put on one of his NFL podcasts with "cousin sal" for background noise while doing some busywork and he was complaining that a kirk cousins implosion that lost him some idiotically complicated bet made him so angry that he went to his cryochamber spa where he has a membership, lmao. Unironically wish this dude was still writing his dumbass columns.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

holy mackerel

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

playing the oooooh yeah song.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the tragedy about skip bayless is that he could easily have his money and his cushy gig and just be doing schtick like every other professional sports windbag but i think that he genuinely believes in his Take Lifestyle and actually thinks what he does is important which is incredibly pitiful.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

get their asses

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

run on sentences are good

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Crazy Ted posted:

i will duel you IRL over this you bitch come and get it

meet me in temecula, it's an area not far out of Los Angeles I've heard, a place where you go to on Christmas Day to resolve your differences in an ad-hoc thunder-dome, a place where you're probably too scared to meet me, but not me, I will fly there, or drive there, or take one if those single-pump hand carts on the railroad to temecula, the whole time singing about how you can't beat me in combat or Tecmo super bowl, or in three card monte, and actually it is you who should be scared because wherever you are is now Temecula, to me. Secondly,

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

This is really cool, Dave Stieb loves the Bois doc.
https://twitter.com/ash_stieb/status/1509066764943982592?s=20&t=oC6jUVJab57GBLoOqxKobA

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

sportsgenius86 posted:

When I was at Ohio State I played pickup ball once with Matt Terwilliger, who was 6-9 and not very good and he just dominated the poo poo out of absolutely everybody.

Blocking everything, shooting over everyone, cutting off passes.

We also played football in the snow once with two walk-ons who never saw the field and lol at anyone who thinks they have any idea of how good high level college players are.

poo poo I remember that guy

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what is going on here lmao

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

name one other person who would qualified to handle "bill simmons's teen patrol"

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Chicago Sun Times is getting rid of the paywall, going to a dination-based model (they were sold the WBEZ, the public radio station).

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

morestuff posted:

22 Goals is such a missed opportunity, I’d kill for the same research to go into a series of articles instead of having Brian Phillips awkwardly overenunciate a monologue over typical annoying Ringer production

The ringer publishes them as articles. I've read all of them, but have no desire to listen to it as a podcast.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

drat

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Defector paywall is down this week.
https://twitter.com/barry/status/1613907970118778880?s=20&t=43nYFYly2X8EbM2coB7zsQ

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

i'm willing to bet the book of basketball is an absolutely insane read in 2023.

R.D. Mangles fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Apr 11, 2023

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Apparently Burke is being investigated for hacks into Fox News
https://www.tampabay.com/news/tampa..._source=twitter

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The Caleb Martin Series, Boston's Demise, and Jaylen Brown's Future with Bill's Dad

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

General Dog posted:

Can't post the story about him being hounded by the British tabloids without posting the image of the century

There's a lot to unpack here.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Incredible tweet though

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

not unexpected but it seems like the ringer is losing everyone who actually writes for them and is moving exclusively to their bad podcasts.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

soggybagel posted:

The ringer is basically this. Podcasts and list articles.

They still let a handful of people write every once in awhile.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

ohhyeah posted:

Anyone else have where the Ringer website always loads its’ A/B headlines last? I get to see both the A headline and the B headline.

YES IT DRIVES ME NUTS!!!!!!

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what the gently caress is that guy and why would anyone watch that show

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The headline "The Wemby Era Will Hit Different in San Antonio" is the most Ringer headline i have ever seen.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

The NBA has a Wembanyama Era Problem

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

apparently bill simmons has been filming himself walking through his fancy neighborhood yelling sports takes into his phone camera and imagining someone seeing him power walking while holding a selfie stick and yelling about the patriots is unbearably funny to me.
https://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/bill-simmons-super-cheap-patriots.html

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Algund Eenboom posted:

I guess there were worse ways this sentence could end

jesus christ lmao

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004