Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Why use mason jars instead of a pitcher? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

CBS Sports laid off a bunch of people including their two baseball columnists Scott Miller and Danny Knobler. They also scrubbed them completely from the site, meaning their archives are gone.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Josh Lyman posted:

What if they're secretly being hired by Nate Silver's new ESPN FiveThirtyEight?

Have you ever read anything written by Scott Miller?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

jeffersonlives posted:

I wish he would have brought up that there's no plausible reason for him to have a vote and not Vin Scully, Gary Cohen, etc.

The idea of Michael Kay with a Hall of Fame vote is terrifying though :stonk:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The author outed Dr. V to people who didn't know, he can go gently caress himself just for that.

I've seen people saying stuff like "Well she tried to kill herself before so clearly she was unstable." That seems like a reason to not push the transgender angle to me. Or, you know, put yourself in a position of outing her.

leokitty fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jan 19, 2014

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

You are completely and totally missing what people are upset about. Hint: Being transgender is not part of being a con-man.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

He outed her to some people from her contemporary life. He states that he did.

quote:

Maybe the most surprising thing about my conversation with Kinney was how calmly he took the news that the woman he thought was an aerospace engineer had once been a man, and a mechanic. “I’m pretty dang gullible, I guess,” he said. For all the hassle that came with his partnership with Dr. V, what had kept him going was the putter. That was what Kinney couldn’t understand. If Yar had simply been a scam, the story would have been much simpler. But the Oracle worked. And Dr. V seemed more interested in achieving fame as a club designer than in getting rich.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

And there's this with a ridiculously hosed up implication.

quote:

What began as a story about a brilliant woman with a new invention had turned into the tale of a troubled man who had invented a new life for himself. Yet the biggest question remained unanswered: Had Dr. V created a great golf club or merely a great story?

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Well of course he listens to Bernie's music, he was a client. :colbert:

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Pedroia is too midget gritty dirt doggy and under contract for too long to be a victim of that stuff, especially with Mookie Betts having such a rough go round recently (no one to push Pedroia out of the way for).

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's pretty messy. I also really hate the 'let's use the mobile version of the site for everything' trend that's been happening across a lot of major websites.

Pretty soon more website traffic is going to be mobile and tablet than desktop, serving a separate m dot site rather than using responsive design now makes no sense.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

You either get mobile first design that makes the site nice and usable or you get pushed to an app constantly* with a blargh site on the phone. I'll take the former, thanks.

*they will still push you to the app as much as possible

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

The thing is he should have been booted for making these kinds of posts eons ago. While this was the worst I've seen from him it was not really any kind of shock that he actually went that far.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Trophy daughters?? I am unclear how that would even work past the initial grossness of the statement.

"Yeah I went to the daughter store and picked up some hot babes, can't wait for people to check my new daughters out."

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Crazy Ted posted:

Yes, because he thinks going to live sporting events serves no purpose unless they're of a certain level or higher.

Sounds like a bad dumb man who will never know how much minor league baseball rules.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Book club died pretty quickly :negative: But we did all manage to read The Lords of the Realm. I think we burnt out because that was a long book.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I like that he looks at the beards players have and thinks they spend a lot of time grooming them.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

DannoMack posted:

I like that he thinks gluten doesn't exist.

Maybe he just hates bread

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I just hope he keeps sharing his Afrika Korps swag on Instagram.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

zakharov posted:

I left my last job on amicable terms, and gave notice so I could prepare for the next person to take over and make sure that my coworkers were ready for the interim period. Maybe the nonprofit world is less full of assholes?

Non-profit world is definitely full of assholes. The way you leave depends on your personal circumstances, I'm in what I think is a very good situation and would do my best to accommodate my department but know other people in the company who wouldn't and don't think they're wrong.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Being anti-stadium building funded by municipalities is a thing people have been for much more than a year, Neil De Mause's book came out in 1998.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

DJExile posted:

If memory serves, $950k was the total settlement and like 75% of that went to the lawyers.

The "75% went to the lawyers" thing is a line from the president of FSU that the lawyers said is not true.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

ElwoodCuse posted:

Oh boy now that women writers are calling that place out for being a poo poo hole the BS staff are pulling the "what? We don't do anything, we can't control other people" faux innocence bit again

A friend of mine who has had the wrath of the bartstool idiots set against her on twitter in the past for not even saying anything terrible to them had to make her account private because they did it again yesterday. Great site. Great people.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Sash! posted:

Its easy to make an argument about something when half the sport has it and the other half doesn't.

Its like if the NFC had a four point field goal for kicks over 40 yards and the AFC didn't.

The NL doesn't have the DH because the NL intentionally did not want the DH (yay the leagues are different!!!) and NL fans are the ones who turn into Greek mourners when bringing the DH to the NL is brought up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

Philadelphia is the best at being the worst.