Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Immortan posted:

Slipknot is terrible but at least they have self awareness unlike Kanye the gay fish. lol

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Tremendous Taste posted:

Hey which one has killa cam on it

Oh yeah the best one

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
808's and Yeezus are his two worst albums if you don't care about Kanye much as a person. LR & MBDTF work really well with 0 commitment to being a Kanye fan.

That said, Yeezus has like 6 perfect songs on it and even tho i don't like 808s it has street lights and amazing which are great songs

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

rear end Catchcum posted:

Please tell me what songs on yeezus you consider perfect songs. It's the use of flagrant hyperbole itt that's really bothering me, is all.

blood on the leaves, new slaves, black skinhead, send it up, bound 2, guilt trip are all really good

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
just relistened to yeezus and its definitely worse than I remembered. the best songs on there are still great, but it has a lot of weak spots I forgot about, especially lyrically.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
late registration is the best kanye album this is obvious

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Dexo posted:

Does Late Registration have Runaway?

No?

Well then I think that disqualifies it from being the best Kanye album

theres nothing wrong with second place

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
hey everyone just posting a friendly reminder to listen to mbdtf again before the weather warms up

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
with each new baby, kanyes power levels are further drained

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/692203557957820417

...because it's so mediocre that no one will listen to it earlier?

how do you get that from that tweet

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

https://twitter.com/kanyewest/status/692203557957820417

...because it's so mediocre that no one will listen to it earlier?

what the gently caress does this mean

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
tlop is as good as graduation, and better than college dropout, 808s, and yeezus.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I didn't realize Chance's verse wasn't in fact Kanye at first, their voices are really similar :shobon:

what

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

HorseRenoir posted:

The Chris Rock skit is entirely necessary and I never skip it ever

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015

T r a v i s posted:

Outkast and J-Live are good but I'm not going to lie that's honestly not a very exciting list of hip hop artists, there isn't anything on there I would say is essential. You pretty much can't go wrong with most stuff from before the past couple years when the industry figured out that homosexuality is like catnip to white people and they want to roll around on Thug's dress and rub their faces on it.

stfu idiot. lol

if youve never listened to rap you should start by listening to more people that sound like the people you enjoy. for outkast you should definitely hear ugks entire discog and goodie mobs first two albums, which are all important and great. depending on what you like out of those, youll probably like scarface, three 6 mafia, jeezy, ti, etc if you like ugk a lot and youll probably like big krit, bob, lupe fiasco, and a lot of political stuff if you like the goodies.

for kanye if you want more like his early work listen to the rest of rocafella discog, especially camron beanie and jay-z, who were all on fire from 00-05 give or take. for 808s sounding stuff, listen to kid cudi and probably drake. for mbdtf you might like some of rick ross's stuff but honestly nothing sounds like mbdtf. for yeezus youd probably like saul williams and dalek, and maybe death grips and clipping. for his most recent somebody already mentioned chance the rapper but the rest of the save money people and noname gypsy are all similar sounds. theres a lot happening in chicago now and almost all of it owes some debt to kanye, so if you want to explore him some more its a good place to start.

for kendrick, the biggest influence on his sound and voice is lil wayne. lil waynes run of drought -> drought 2 -> prefix -> carter 1 -> suffix -> carter 2 -> dedication -> dedication 2 -> like father like son -> drought 3 -> carter 3 -> no ceilings is probably the craziest run in rap history and had him basically rise from trivia question to megastar in a 6 year span (but start with carter 2 and drought 3). other big influences on kendrick were 2pac (you should hear all eyez on me) and nas (illmatic). theres a whole slew of west coast guys who factor into his sound as well, but those are two youll probably be able to enjoy a lot since you like what kendrick has to say.

its good that youre listening to rap because its the best genre of music.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
e: also the most important thing about rap music is to approach with zero preconceptions. you may not agree with anything about an artists image or lifestyle or pov, but from that you can gain insight into something beyond what you would get without exposure to their art. rap music demands subjectivity more than any other genre of music before or since. im jealous that you get to enjoy that journey for the first time now that so much of the genre is readily available and accessible, and the pool of available rap history is so much deeper than it was 10 years ago.

another important thing about rap music: there are very few writers who do it justice. andrew 'noz' nosnitsky is the best, but he barely writes anymore. byron crawford is great, but he rarely gets serious and mostly fucks around (which is still great). andrew weiss is ok but is very white and academic. thats about it for pre-eminent rap scholars. the genre is always going to be very youthful by its nature and thats not a bad a thing. but a lot of the writers out there are going to represent either a very "woke" boring attitude that refuses to approach rap on its own terms, or an old crusty east-coast attitude that doesnt like anything unless its focused on sounding like something biggie would have said 20 years ago. so when youre looking for rap articles or lists or whatever else to further research the greatest genre of music, take it with a grain of salt that youre going to encounter a ton of both of these archetypes, and they both have agendas.

anyway thats a lot of words but i felt like writing. outkast kendrick and kanye are all great gateway artists and i hope you enjoy the music you discover.

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
wrt question 1: there are two reasons. the first is that we're in an era that doesnt support journalism very much on a broader scale. the second is that a lot of rap doesnt have any commentary written about it. when new songs (or albums or tapes) come out, they usually just get posted with no additional context (which perpetuates the notion that most of the music is disposable but thats another huge problem not really worth getting into here). the big rap magazines (xxl, the source) have all gone online and have mostly turned into trash, but theres a thoughtful article here and there if you hunt.

wrt question 2: maybe subjective what the wrong word. i was thinking more of the reason rap gets so much flack for all the "bitches and bling and cars and drugs etc". a lot of the subject matter in the music you will disagree with, and there will be a lot of points of view that you may even vehemently oppose. but the music made can still be incredible and important, and once you start drawing lines about whats acceptable subject matter and what isnt, youre going to run into a lot of bigger problems ("is homophobia really more of an issue than the destruction of black communities by drugs/drug dealers?"). thats all i meant by it.

not going to post about this anymore because its a big enough derail. kanye ftw

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
big ghost is an old crusty idiot

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
never really noticed crackling, but thats mostly because ive always played it super loud lol

i envy you so much for being able to hear that album for the first time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ol yeller
Feb 20, 2015
next kanye album gonna be amazing

• Locked thread