Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

Uh, the answer is that musicians and entertainers produce...entertainment. Like, in a just world why would anybody get millions for doing this stuff? Some people save lives, some people teach children, some people make great party jams. kanye ego haters like myself see him as way too eager to be a media martyr (part of his MJ fetish). But while MJ was a weirdo who wanted to hide away and always had the press trying to see his secret life, Kanye is a blustery egotist who begs the media to be interested in him and then whines that he's being crucified all while pretty much being the entertainment industry's golden boy. Dude isn't a loving doctor, he's really good at Ableton and pop music.

So your saying that entertainers must remain humble? Someone needs to be a doctor or a teacher to feel super proud of their work and flaunt it? I understand that Kanye rubs people the wrong way, and that perhaps a lot of times what he says in his outbursts are not the way to go about conveying his opinions, but saying someone has to be humble unless they offer something that benefits a "just world" society is kind of silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

Dude read the quote I responded to. It's pretty simple.

I did, the question posed was "why do we insist that entertainers be humble?" and you replied with "the answer is that musicians and entertainers produce...entertainment", like its some shamefull thing that doesnt give them the right to be proud.

I do see why people have a distaste for a lot of Kanye's antics, I do. He makes (what a lot of people feel is) great music and is clearly quite talented, and this shouldnt excuse him from the tirades that he has had.

You had brought up Teachers and Doctors, which doesnt really have bearing with "why do we insist that entertainers be humble?" I'd rather my future children have a humble teacher/doctor/other role modle with perhaps some tact to look up to, than a Kanye style teacher who may rant about how little Jimmy's essay was the greatest of all times, but it still doesnt answer why we insist that entertainers be humble.

Maybe im just misreading your reply though.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Parade Maker posted:

Gorgeous has slowly grown on me.

This is probably my favorate song. Im a sucker for subtle changes to beat structures, and while its much more that subtle, I absolutely love the changes that take place going in to Rae's verse. Outstanding.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
Any word on opening acts or anything like that? It looks like maybe he didnt have one for the opener, but maybe subsequent shows will.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

blue squares posted:

Have you listened to it exclusively on earbuds that have accidentally run through the wash once or twice?

I'm the same as HorseRenoir, and have never heard the crackle. Blue squares, like everyone else I find it really interesting reading your first listens of hip hop albums. Also, the post I quoted would be a good nomination for a thread title change.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.
For the goons who have gone to any of the TLOP concerts, has there been an opening act? I'm going to the show in Edmonton on October 15, but i can't find any information about openers.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

Paperback Writer posted:

not enough Yeezus tracks on the current tour. Would love I Am A God, New Slaves, and/or On Sight.

Same but Late Registration.

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

hobbez posted:

drat. He come's off as completely unhinged. More then usual. He seems really nervous and unsure of himself. Poor guy, I feel for him now.

I found it more that he's as confident as ever, but really really aware that everything he says is picked apart that he just didnt want to deal with it. Which is wierd considering his rants at his shows, but maybe thats just the false feeling of being in a building with fans that will eat up everything he says, where in reality fans are pretty fickle and will turn on you if they disagree with you or the music stops for too long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeematic
Jan 18, 2003

Yikes.

ruddiger posted:

Ice Cube Jr. had something inspiring to say.

That was real cool.

• Locked thread