Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/CharlesSoule/status/1152381134694580224

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Preechr posted:

Finished the new Thrawn book. Much better than Alliances.

I love love love that Krennic has a squad of sycophantic underlings who dress exactly like him

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Buncha book news out of NYCC:

- New (prequel) Thrawn trilogy from Zahn, covering his time in the Chiss Ascendency (May 2020)
- Multi-author Clone Wars short story anthology (August 2020)
- Rae Carson (SW-wise, she's done a few short stories and Most Wanted, a Solo tie-in) is writing the TROS novel (March 2020)
- New "Dark Legends" book in the style of the Myths and Fables collection from August (October 2020)
- Alphabet Squad #2: Shadow Fall is out June 2020
- Project Luminous deets coming in January

I did a post about the comics announcements over here

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Oct 4, 2019

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Zoran posted:

I'm pretty sure Lucas was in at least some of the story meetings for TFU, but at the same time the only real details we have from those meetings say that he spent all his time relentlessly trolling the writers.

Reminds me of this anecdote from a making of TIE Fighter article PC Gamer published last month:

quote:

As the story goes, George Lucas was shown the packaging for TIE Fighter in a board meeting shortly after the game had come out and had started performing well financially and earning acclaim. Lucas picked up the box, examined the cover, and then turned it over to read the copy on the back. "'Imperial Navy'?" he said. "There's no navy in Star Wars." A moment later: "Well, I guess it doesn't matter."

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Or... not, I guess

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/1221920976021135362

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i am tempted to pick that up at somepoint. i mean the Revenge of the sith book was actually pretty good.

Totally; I can imagine the novel salvaging the film from a pacing POV, at the very least.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I guess we're a month out from (officially) finding out whatever this Project Luminous thing is, as press invites have gone out:

https://twitter.com/GermainLussier/status/1222322429550157825

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

And here's Random House with an early cover drop:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

Uh, as amazing as that is, way to bury the lead on BB-8 Tank!

I honestly can't decide if I love this or hate it. Every time I think I decide, I change my mind.

BEEP BOOP *cannon fires*

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Although apparently this art book basically just ends with the Death Star II fight and has very little for anything later, which is kind of disappointing.

Which is strange, because when they delayed the book's release from December to yesterday, everyone thought it was to add the end bits of the movie that usually get cut out of the art book (for fear of spoilers leaking) and shoved into the next film's.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Oh huh, the SW book thread has a bunch of new posts out of nowhere, wonder what bullshit... yep, it's sequel chat.

Anyway, definitely pick up Queen's Shadow, it's low-stakes but there's some solid character work for Padme (like the most she's gotten yet, as damning for the prequel era as that is). Very similar tonally to the Princess of Alderaan YA book from a few years back, and ties in pretty well to the current Darth Vader comic arc - though it's anyone guess when they'll get to complete that.

Also, very cool that Battuta gets to make his mark on the universe. Is it something already announced?

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 2, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Hell yeah. The first one was a fun, if inconsistent (which I realize is sort of the point) little jaunt.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 12, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

The only one who's confirmed as back so far is Gary Whitta.

https://twitter.com/garywhitta/status/1271231676190871553?s=20

Otherwise, there's a whole bunch of new authors contributing to this, including:

Brittany Williams
Karen Strong
Rebecca Huang
Austin Walker
Tracy Deonn
Lydia Kang

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Okay, here's a proper thread of all the authors:

https://twitter.com/seh221/status/1271228520581267458?s=20

Looks like Delilah S. Dawson and Daniel Jose Older are back.

edit: Also, was this the mysterious Star Wars project Battuta was referring to up-thread?

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

General Battuta posted:

Yeah I’m in this one. I picked the best character.

Dak? DAK!

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

jivjov posted:

Finished Shadow Fall today. Overall I really liked most of it, and am excited to see the capper to the trilogy...but I'm not a big fan of Kairos being sidelined for the majority of the book. I'm hoping it has thematic weight in book 3, but it really felt like a case of "I don't know what to do with this character"

So I finished this today, and regarding the spoilered bit: I noticed that too, but her absence did help elevate that sense of isolation, that profound lack of a safe harbor, in the book's second act and onward. I also have a feeling that she's going to play a role in Yrica's redemption/return in Book 3.

In any case, holy poo poo is Alex Freed just hitting it out of the park with these books. His character writing is probably the best of the Disney-era authors (though I imagine it helps that most of the time he's writing for his own characters as opposed to preexisting ones).

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/1294306234087215104?s=20

These books have been dope as hell, I'm hoping Freed comes through with a fitting finale.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

surf rock posted:

edit: I guess I might just want more humor and comradely antics. Everything feels so dour and everyone seems to hate or at least mistrust each other.

Yeah, aside from from very brief bits of levity, that's more-or-less the tone of the series. I personally dig it in this hellyear of 2020, but I can totally get wanting something more lighthearted. Maybe the Squadrons campaign will bring that tone, idk

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

surf rock posted:

Just finished the first book. I dunno, it got a little better in the last third once the squadron went from everyone actively hating each other to some of them secretly hating each other, I suppose. Trying to decide whether to get the second book, because at that point I'd feel committed to finish the trilogy.

Honestly, I think if Caern Adan died (what a miserable loser of a character) and Kairos got a personality or just replaced I would be significantly more onboard. I can live with Yrica, Wyl, Chass, and Nath. Chass especially I think is a pretty unique character.

I'll admit it does bother me that apparently a squadron is no longer 12 pilots.

Chass is easily my favorite of the crew and makes me wish that Squadrons could have an in-universe music option ala Rebel Galaxy.

And regarding the rest of the spoiler'ed bits, I'd say the second book definitely... addresses those points.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Having now read about half of the new ESB FACPOV book that released yesterday, I can say with confidence that General Battuta knocked it out of the drat park on his story

Also was that a loving Auralnauts reference

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Not to double post, but with the latest Mandalorian episode, I thought it was funny that after the first episode drew so much from Aftermath, this one simultaneously referenced and contradicted the Aftermath books (with the mention of Chandrila as the New Republic's current capitol still).

Also I feel like Moff Gideon's evil plan is to make Dark Troopers straight out of Dark Forces.

Wait, what is the Republic capitol supposed to be during this period? Wookieepedia says Nakadia but doesn't Mando take place after the Battle of Jakku (and thus beyond the Aftermath books)?

Also those droid-looking things with Gideon are literally called Dark Troopers in the descriptive audio version of the episode

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Nov 21, 2020

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Teek posted:

Some other highlights from the new era canon:

Alphabet Squadron, also heard good things about its recently released sequel.
From A Certain point of View ANH and the ESB 40th anniversary short story collections.
Phasma (Not loving with you, kind of like a Mad Max meets The Long Walk tale of Phasma as a teenager.)

These are all a bit more recent than thrawn's recs, and are pretty delightful. Alphabet is basically a newer take on the old Rogue/Wraith paradigm, but with a smaller cast and darker tone.

Both FACPOV books go full tilt into the old EU trope of "every side character has a rich and relevant backstory" and it's great, just in the insane diversity of approaches to that premise. Plus the ESB one has a story written by a goon

I remember being surprised over how good the Phasma book is, though it is disappointing how much of a jobber she is in the movies compared to her depiction here.

I also enjoyed the Thrawn Ascendancy prequel novel; heavy Brian Daley, "here's a solid sci-fi work technically set in the Star Wars universe but different in many ways (except the main character)" vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

If everyone is good with a new book barn thread, please put your ultimate recommendations that should be included in the OP here again so I can try to make a consensus (ha). Put anything from Legends as well that you think is still worth revisiting.

I've got some Legends recs here:
Shatterpoint (Mace goes home to Space Vietnam and it sucks rocks)
The Medstar Duology (well-nuanced Star Wars MASH during the Clone Wars)
ROTS novelization (I don't think I need to make an argument for this one)
The Thrawn Trilogy (ditto)
The Han Solo Adventures (Brian Daley single-handedly outdoes the whole of the EU in 1979)
The Lando Calrissian Adventures (Some of the weirdest SW stories put to paper, referenced in the Solo movie)