Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A few copies of the TROS novelization were sold early at C2E2 and a few passages from it are online. Nothing too dramatic but it does make clear that Palpatine is in a clone body that his spirit inhabited after his body was destroyed in ROTJ, and that the power of his Force spirit is prematurely decaying the clone bodies one by one.

I still can't believe that Episode IX essentially ended up being a Dark Empire movie. Just a shame we never saw young Bowie Palpatine. Though I guess that probably was originally the plan for Matt Smith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Chairman Capone posted:

Besides Traviss, Kathy Tyers, and Vonda McIntyre, there was also Rebecca Moesta and Nancy Richardson (Young/Junior Jedi Knights), Barbara Hambly (Callista stuff), Christie Golden (Traviss replacement), and Elaine Cunningham (Dark Journey). Oh, the late-stage Princess Leia novel was done by a first-timer woman, too. Probably a few short story people also. Comics-wise there were a number of women, most prominently Jan Duursema. Who actually came back to do the special #108 issue of the original Marvel comic run last year.

There were also some female authors within the Tales From anthology books and West End Games RPG stuff - I’m pretty sure the author of Bossk’s tale was a woman (and featured a character the author had created for the RPG).

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hey uh. My friend got into Star Wars via Mandy and I thought to check out the OP here for some recs and uh, the optics look extremely bad with only one women in the recced authors list, and she's got an attached screed about how she's the devil incarnate.

Could you uh, update it? Please?

*checks quickly to see if this is one of the Star Wars threads I’m OP for*

Oh good, I don’t have to do poo poo.

Also, read Lost Stars by Claudia Gray. It’s great.

ytisomauq
Dec 15, 2000

Xenomrph posted:

There were also some female authors within the Tales From anthology books and West End Games RPG stuff - I’m pretty sure the author of Bossk’s tale was a woman (and featured a character the author had created for the RPG).

And also A.C. Crispin, author of the Han Solo Trilogy from the 90s. The A is for Ann.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Jude Watson wrote a ton of YA novels set in the prequels era. Not really something an adult is going to be interested in, but good for what it is.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

Jude Watson wrote a ton of YA novels set in the prequels era. Not really something an adult is going to be interested in, but good for what it is.

She did the Jedi Apprentice series, right? Those were absolutely my jam, and I always liked thinking back to Qui-Gon and Tahl whenever Clone Wars started getting into Obi-Wan and Satine

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

jivjov posted:

She did the Jedi Apprentice series, right? Those were absolutely my jam, and I always liked thinking back to Qui-Gon and Tahl whenever Clone Wars started getting into Obi-Wan and Satine
She wrote all but the first Jedi Apprentice books, and all of the Jedi Quest and Last of the Jedi books. I read most of the JA books when I was a kid, but only a few JQ books as I was aging out by that point.

Don't know why the first JA novel was written by Dave Wolverton, The Courtship of Princess Leia guy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Casimir Radon posted:

She wrote all but the first Jedi Apprentice books, and all of the Jedi Quest and Last of the Jedi books. I read most of the JA books when I was a kid, but only a few JQ books as I was aging out by that point.

Don't know why the first JA novel was written by Dave Wolverton, The Courtship of Princess Leia guy.

yeah, i had the same set of books; my mom got me the entire run of JA as they came out, and I actually still have all 20 of them. I only ever got the first JQ book though, the version they released in hardcover I think as a Scholastic Book Fair exclusive

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

cptn_dr posted:

Ahsoka by E.K Johnson is fun but probably only works you've got a preexisting attachment to the character thanks through Clone Wars/Rebels. E.K Johnson also wrote Queen's Shadow, but I haven't read that yet so can't comment.

I'm so glad I sprang for the audiobook to hear Ashley Eckstein read it. :allears:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Chairman Capone posted:

A few copies of the TROS novelization were sold early at C2E2 and a few passages from it are online. Nothing too dramatic but it does make clear that Palpatine is in a clone body that his spirit inhabited after his body was destroyed in ROTJ, and that the power of his Force spirit is prematurely decaying the clone bodies one by one.

I still can't believe that Episode IX essentially ended up being a Dark Empire movie. Just a shame we never saw young Bowie Palpatine. Though I guess that probably was originally the plan for Matt Smith.

yeah. i legit dont hate palpatine coming back but christ did they gently caress it up big. i assumed it was something like that but lol did they do a bad job at showing it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I bet anything it's because JJ Abrams honestly didn't know (or care) what the explanation was so just left it vague enough that anyone could make anything they want from it.

I also don't really mind Palpatine returning, but I do think A) It's annoying that they tried to claim that Palpatine returning from the dead was part of the plan since the very start of the sequel trilogy, and B) I think if they wanted to link the sequel villains back to the prequels, I still prefer all the TFA-era theories that Snoke was Plagueis.

I did like that the Treverrow script at least did mention Plagueis, even if it was to basically dismiss him.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I bet anything it's because JJ Abrams honestly didn't know (or care) what the explanation was so just left it vague enough that anyone could make anything they want from it.

I also don't really mind Palpatine returning, but I do think A) It's annoying that they tried to claim that Palpatine returning from the dead was part of the plan since the very start of the sequel trilogy, and B) I think if they wanted to link the sequel villains back to the prequels, I still prefer all the TFA-era theories that Snoke was Plagueis.

I did like that the Treverrow script at least did mention Plagueis, even if it was to basically dismiss him.

i liked snoke when he was just some force senstive opportunist dark side rear end in a top hat and he managed to take some bitter facists and their kids and the failson school stabber and make them into an army. i dont mind palpatine even pulling the strings fully but i hate "hurr snoke was some sith homunculus" i dont hate the ideas that ROS had. i just wish they were done with some actual thought.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

thrawn527 posted:

*checks quickly to see if this is one of the Star Wars threads I’m OP for*

Oh good, I don’t have to do poo poo.

Also, read Lost Stars by Claudia Gray. It’s great.

There was a sigh of relief when the AMOL thread went away even though I didn't have to do much there either

In dorkier news, I got a new Legacy Kylo saber from when I went to Galaxy's Edge this winter, and my new replacement Kylo bucket arrived this last month. This one is slightly smaller than the Black Series modded hat, so it looks more proportional with the rest of the costume, and I can still pretty well barely jam it over my admittedly oversized head. It also has a motorized mouthpiece, but I don't see myself using that much.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Mar 3, 2020

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

so apparently palptines son was also a clone but pure/broken or some poo poo and he escaped at some point and married.

https://screenrant.com/star-wars-rise-skywalker-rey-father-palpatine-clone/

i guess palpatine looked like gendery when he was young.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004
Every detail Disney adds to the canon makes Star Wars dumber and worse, it's breathtaking

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Van Dis posted:

Every detail Disney adds to the canon makes Star Wars dumber and worse, it's breathtaking

Any detail anyone, including George Lucas, adds to the canon makes Star Wars dumber.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Some fan site needs to interview the Glove of Darth Vader authors to see what they thought about Episode IX.

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

Chairman Capone posted:

Some fan site needs to interview the Glove of Darth Vader authors to see what they thought about Episode IX.

"Huh? That kid crap? Sorry, we're busy actually working right now." would be my guess.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Preechr posted:

"Huh? That kid crap? Sorry, we're busy actually working right now." would be my guess.
At least one of they guys who wrote it has incredible delusions of grandeur. He thinks it was a high quality product, and justified it because it sold well.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Preechr posted:

FYI, the most recent book by one of the authors was about how he proved the afterlife is real by communicating with the spirit of dead atheist Forrest J. Ackerman:

http://www.lifeafterdeathproject.com/

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

FYI, the most recent book by one of the authors was about how he proved the afterlife is real by communicating with the spirit of dead atheist Forrest J. Ackerman:

http://www.lifeafterdeathproject.com/

christ. this makes Wendigs dumb twitter poo poo look good.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

That is genuinely looney but he's been that way for a while. In the 90s he was for a time one of the big Roswell proponents in the UFO community (he co-wrote, and has a cameo in, the 1994 Kyle MacLachlan/Martin Sheen Roswell TV movie) and he also at least used to be a big JFK conspiracy theorist.

He's outright said that Glove of Darth Vader is partly based on his JFK coverup conspiracy theory (Jedgar the Prophet of the Dark Side = J. Edgar Hoover).

Here's another thing that will blow your mind: he was also a writer and production coordinator on the 1980s Transformers cartoon.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

That is genuinely looney but he's been that way for a while. In the 90s he was for a time one of the big Roswell proponents in the UFO community (he co-wrote, and has a cameo in, the 1994 Kyle MacLachlan/Martin Sheen Roswell TV movie) and he also at least used to be a big JFK conspiracy theorist.

He's outright said that Glove of Darth Vader is partly based on his JFK coverup conspiracy theory (Jedgar the Prophet of the Dark Side = J. Edgar Hoover).

Here's another thing that will blow your mind: he was also a writer and production coordinator on the 1980s Transformers cartoon.

i can believe that, it seems like alot of kids media authors are weird/nuts/conspiracy types.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

io9 has a clip from an Episode IX BTS feature on the models of the rebel fleet at the final space battle:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/see-how-star-wars-most-impressive-fleet-was-created-in-1842223160

If you look at some of the concept art they flash at the end, it includes the Hyperspace Marauder from Dark Empire, which seems fitting.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Also in keeping with the Dark Empire/Episode IX comparisons, we almost got a David Bowie rebel pilot:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-rise-of-skywalker-couldve-given-us-a-giant-tank-sha-1842585152

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Chairman Capone posted:

Also in keeping with the Dark Empire/Episode IX comparisons, we almost got a David Bowie rebel pilot:

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-rise-of-skywalker-couldve-given-us-a-giant-tank-sha-1842585152

Uh, as amazing as that is, way to bury the lead on BB-8 Tank!

I honestly can't decide if I love this or hate it. Every time I think I decide, I change my mind.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

thrawn527 posted:

I honestly can't decide if I love this or hate it. Every time I think I decide, I change my mind.

BEEP BOOP *cannon fires*

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Cross-Section posted:

BEEP BOOP *cannon fires*

*flamethrower thumbs up*

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

Most of the unused stuff, save the laser guillotine, would have probably been an Improvement. This is dumb, even for Star Wars.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

To be fair the artist who drew that said he was just doing it for a laugh: “I was just having some fun with this tank. I’m not sure I would have actually wanted to see it realized in the final film.”

I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the book (though have no idea when that will be) as I've really enjoyed the Art of books for TFA and TLJ. They worked great as BTS making-of stuff since we'll probably never get an actual making of book for any of these Disney movies.

Although apparently this art book basically just ends with the Death Star II fight and has very little for anything later, which is kind of disappointing.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Although apparently this art book basically just ends with the Death Star II fight and has very little for anything later, which is kind of disappointing.

Which is strange, because when they delayed the book's release from December to yesterday, everyone thought it was to add the end bits of the movie that usually get cut out of the art book (for fear of spoilers leaking) and shoved into the next film's.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Nah, it was literally to do damage control on the text. Remove any reference to the Ben Lives ending, add in the Rey Exiles Herself In The Sand And Cosplays A Skywalker ending, etc

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
StarWars.com has a new article with more background on the High Republic and character bios:

https://www.starwars.com/news/inside-star-wars-the-high-republic-meet-the-jedi-knights-and-masters

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Will Disney approve the most necessary—and perhaps most lucrative*—of High Republic merch?

*In applicable states

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

General Battuta posted:

Will Disney approve the most necessary—and perhaps most lucrative*—of High Republic merch?

*In applicable states

Disney partnering with the NRA to make Jedi-themed AR-15s seems like a bit of a stretch, even for Disney.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I just cannot muster up any enthusiasm for the High Republic. Nothing about it really grabs me.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!

thrawn527 posted:

BB-tank would have ruled or at the very least been memorable. Instead we got 10 million bland unidentifiable ships and some speeders with a bunch of garbage on them.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Arcsquad12 posted:

I just cannot muster up any enthusiasm for the High Republic. Nothing about it really grabs me.

Yeah, I have to say the same for me. Though honestly I think since TROS my interest in Star Wars has kid of severely declined. Really, other than Mandalorian S2, there's not really any Star Wars thing coming up that really gets me excited at the moment.

Lake Jucas
Feb 20, 2011

WHAT OF OUR BARGAIN?
I think the my interest in the High Republic will increase as it gets closer to release, but seeing as we can die at any minute its hard to focus on anything so far out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I do think coronavirus will be a blessing in disguise to Star Wars in at least one way, it will give Lucasfilm a face-saving way to delay the 2022 movie and the Obi-Wan show, both of which seem like they need the extra time.