Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Van Dis posted:

What the gently caress are you nerds noticing in these pictures that I, not a nerd, am not?

Seconded, actually

EDIT: OK read that wrong, thought it said "also a nerd" ... but still seconded.

EDIT: Maybe since I'm not noticing anything either I should reassess whether I actually am a nerd or not.

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Sep 8, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Ringo Star Get posted:

Rebel Strike was so, so terrible. Rogue Squadron and Rogue Leader was all the fun you'll need.

The only reason I bought Rebel Strike was to do Rogue Leader co-op and kick my friends' asses in multiplayer in the Y-wing

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Bluray players still play DVDs, right? Yeah, not gettin 'em.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Don't worry about that guy, every time KOTOR comes up he's gotta bash it. I, for one, love Pazaak. :colbert:

EDIT: and Bao-Dur's voice. "Malachooooor"

Jedi Knight Luigi fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 30, 2011

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Ship_(sentient_spacecraft)

:wtc:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

I wasn't making a case for Lucus deliberately appealing, nor was I saying this is unique to Star Wars.

I was explaining why the demographics of Hardcore Christianity and Star Wars overlap, and that's because there's a very clear parallel in the manner of dichotomous thinking. Good and evil. These guys are good, these guys are evil.

To put it another way, a show/series that was about challenging your beliefs, questioning if you're actually right and realizing that life is compromise and shades of grey, it'd probably be less popular with people who think in good/evil black/white terms.

Explain adiaphora :smugbert:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
How did Leland Chee get his job?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
We need some links here. I haven't logged onto TF.N in years and I don't intend to any time soon.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
forum user "Bib Fortuna, Twi'lek" was the only good thing to come from those forums

well, that and the whole mod walk-out when the owner required personal information of TFN's mods and admins.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

movax posted:

Guys, Legos have gotten so cool! Saw this at a Lego store and had to have it (and it was cheaper than the Super Star Destroyer, which I still want)

Huge-rear end box:

four instruction manuals:

fuckton of parts:

finished a chunk of hull tonight:

Still trying to find some decent prices on the older collector sets. This one is Lego 10212.

Holy hell...I remember having the smaller version of that when I was like 10. I think they've made bigger, complexer versions of the X-wing and Snowspeeder too.

The little kid in me sees "capacity for 20 passengers" and gets all giddy inside; I can only imagine having my Lego Y-wing pilot guy landing the thing and unloading a mix of Episode I battle droids and Imperial scouts into battle :3:

Have you finished it yet? Are the capacity specs talking about the Lego model itself or is it just touting "Essential Guide"-like specs?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Powered Descent posted:

I'm pretty sure Threepio does at least once in ESB, but it's hardly surprising that Wookiee is one of his six million languages.

It's called Shyriiwook.
:goonsay:

fake edit: Today I randomly thought about a post from a few pages back talking about a fake (but believable) wookieepedia article called "Follow that Lightsaber!" and I just thought to myself, Star Wars is so goddamn stupid.

*polishes user name and avatar*

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Calliper posted:

Someone asked me the other day if I liked Star Wars and the first thing that popped into my head was that drat horse head x-wing pilot.

Any second now Jerk McJerkface is gonna pop in here...

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I feel like 3/4 of this thread is discussion about lovely EU, with discussion of the actual movies relegated to the other fourth. Hell, my avatar came from a lovely EU topic discussed in this thread. Do you know how many times I've glazed over posts with one or two 4-line paragraphs singing the Thrawn trilogy's praises? Or the NJO's mediocrity? Or links to wookieepedia like this?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I really liked the looping at the beginning of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgAlQuqzl8o&list=UUmKurapML4BF9Bjtj4RbvXw&feature=plcp

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Is this a good time to mention that Buckley has taken on SW:TOR? "Part I" :negative:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

movax posted:

Behold, the most effective vagina repellent known to mankind:

(it's a toss up between the shuttle, Hoth brewing Co. stein, or the oscilloscope/power supply/lab bench in the background I guess)

Very awesome! :) You should put the little pilot guys in there!

And where does one get a Hoth brewing Co. stein?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Because you just spent all your money on the Blu-ray box set.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Mister Roboto posted:

new poster that's hopefully not fake

Better than the first one.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Look what I found on woot: a LEGO TIE Defender

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Just wanted to make sure that we're all aware of this thread.

I watched up until 3PO and R2 make it out of the escape pod and almost died laughing like 3 times, especially at the sound effects for Leia loading the plans into R2. Can't wait to watch the whole thing later!

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Lobok posted:

I thought this was both a duplicate and a typo, but no, there is somebody actually called Luuke Skywalker. I don't think I could ever read that without hearing "LuuUUUUke" like how the cartoon dog says "CoooOOOOkie Crisp!"

Well dammit now I'm never not going to read that without hearing "cooOOOOkie crisp" either!

And shouldn't that list also include Han Solo then? He cut open a maggot-infested tauntaun with it after all.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Saw it tonight with a goonette friend of mine, plenty of snide remarks throughout. At one point we thought we were watching a comedy, since we already knew when all the "wacky" parts were coming, particularly with Jar Jar.

Still a fun ride though. And does anyone else feel like there were twice as many podracing scenes added? I feel like they gave screen time to every single podracer when I don't think they did in the original. Also there's a part where Anakin's pod gets disconnected from his starboard engine and he's spinning around and has to use a claw thingy to reconnect...or was that in the original and I don't remember it?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Cross-posting from the comic megathread.

I like the little AT-AT pilot helmet in the corner.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Crowetron posted:

I am baffled. I have no idea how to be excited about a Star Wars book any more. Help

This is the whole thread's reaction right now

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
From that article:

quote:

Then, he force chokes Jabba’s guards, some­thing only Vader has done in the series! Nobody else sees him do this.

I just had the biggest " :aaa: holy poo poo how have I never noticed that before" moment.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Phylodox posted:

I wonder who's gonna play Wuher.

Bartender from ANH, right? Oh god why did I know that without looking it up... :smithicide:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

Know whats sad?

I know he hates droids but found a special booze making one and used Greedos corpse to turn into the perfect corpse wine Hutts love.

:stare:

I am going to slowly back out of this thread now, a la Homer and the hedgerow.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Chewie is Sasquatch and the Yuuzhan Vong invaded in 1829.

Some sperg lord made a timeline paralleling the Star Wars Universe with real life based on some non-canon story where Han and Chewie jump into hyperspace and crash land on Earth.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

With a lightsaber and those bad rear end KOTOR II Jedi robes in my opinion if you head to Nar Shadda first this where the game goes into gently caress YEAH WE AIN'T STOPPING fun mode with good RPGs that only ends when you see the credits.

Has anyone played through that game completely sans-lightsaber? I've played through it maybe 3 times, but I never attempted to go "badass mercenary". 1st time I acted as myself, which was about midway between gray and completely light, second time I went completely light, and the third time completely dark.

I also didn't realize you could convert Atton to a Jedi till the second time through. Not even Bao-dur was spared from Force prowess.

Malachoooooor....

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

astr0man posted:

It's not like star wars video games can get any worse after TFU.

Famous last words.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

As I understand it, Zahn and Stackpole co-wrote a conclusive story arc for the whole X-Wing comic book series some years ago and it would have covered points like that. Apparently their scripts have been completed for more than a decade, but since there doesn't seem to be much interest on the part of the publishers they've just been sitting around unused.

Are you motherfucking kidding me???

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, Stover and Zahn have both said they'd be interested in doing something like that. It could be pretty good but I don't imagine it'll be happening any time soon; Luke was apparently slated to die way back in Vector Prime but Lucas himself vetoed it.

Does Lucas even read this poo poo? Like, how he would he know what's good for the overall Star Wars canon? Obviously someone must've advised him (Leland Chee?) on the tenets of shooting the idea down.

e: also did Lucas really destroy the original star wars negatives and if yes is there a source

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Flagrant Abuse posted:

From what I'm told, the Anakin thing was actually on orders from Lucas. Apparently he thinks the readers are as dumb as he is and that they'd get "confused" by having both Anakin Solo and Anakin Skywalker.

This is the second time I've said this itt:

Are you motherfucking kidding me??

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Vogon Poet posted:

This is a really old post, but I was just reading through this thread, and I had to reply. I was a mod when that incident took place, and I remember being so mad at the new owner (he had recently bought the site from its founders, if I remember correctly) when it happened. I think I and many of the other mods were offended that he seemed to be turning what we saw as a friendly community into a soulless business. The whole thing seems silly in retrospect.

I also enjoyed reading everyone's posts about the EU, which I was really into in high school but haven't kept up on since partway through the NJO. When the Corellian trilogy was mentioned, I remembered that what struck me most about that series was the absurd number of typos it contained. This was especially the case in the first book, which I think averaged a typo every few pages. I remember being appalled that a published novel had been so poorly proofread.

I don't know if it's clear by the tone of my post, but I was also not a fan of the new required info for mods. I also really shouldn't knock the TF.N boards so quickly, I made a few good friends there from all around the world, some of whom I'm still in contact with today.

Which subforum did you moderate, Vogon Poet, if you don't mind my asking?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Vogon Poet posted:

I was a moderator for Games. I didn't have the position for all that long, and it was a fairly quiet subforum, so I didn't actually have all that many responsibilities. At the time, I was obsessed with multiplayer Jedi Outcast, which is why I was active in the Games forum. A funny memory from that is when we had a 1v1 tourney among TF.N forum members, and I (who spent a lot of time playing on a competitive clan's server) totally destroyed everyone.

Oh yeah, another funny memory from the TF.N forums was when, years earlier, I was playing around with urls, trying different forum numbers, and discovered there was a forum called "Mod Squad" or something like that which wasn't visible or accessible to normal members. I posted a thread in Communications called "Secret forums?" and it erupted into a huge dramabomb, because apparently some people were just shocked that the moderators had their own forum that everyone else couldn't see.

Ha, that's pretty funny. I registered there in '03 and I think I may remember reading about that. In fact if we played 21 questions I could probably figure which Games mod you were! :v:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

alg posted:

Can anyone recommend the best comic series to read? Are there any good Rebellion era comics?

The X-wing comics are Rebellion era, aren't they? You should read "In the Empire's Service" because there's a lot of good Horton Salm action in there. Gotta love Y-wings.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
Confession time: my username on the TF.N boards was Master_Y-wing. Not that that's anything to be proud of, but still, I'm the ultimate Y-wing fanboy. :smug:

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

alg posted:

yeah about a year ago in this very thread we fistbumped over our mutual love for Y-Wings :clint:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3338643&pagenumber=187&perpage=40#post393717989

edit: ah yeah the reason I asked about comics was because I got this and it's really cool. It has a ton of pictures from the comics.

Ha, that's great! "Rogue Squadron, where's our cover!!"

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
When I was a wee lad I couldn't pass the third mission in Rogue Squadron for the N64 for the longest time, something about rescuing a crashed ship called the Nonnah. After that it was smooth sailing...until Fest. :suicide: Seriously, why does the Rebel Alliance absolutely need three dinky little AT-PTs?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

SeanBeansShako posted:

I quite enjoyed the mission where Luke and two other Y-Wings just casually bombed the poo poo out of an entire Imperial Installation.

Also, always cracked me up picking Airspeeder and seeing the thing casually lift off from the hanger and fly into space.

That is technically the Star Wars version of a car with guns on the front after all.

Assault on Kile II was my favorite (and most-played) mission. It got to the point where I could blow up the whole spaceport *and* manage to fly back and personally see Wedge get shot down, followed by the cutscene actually showing it. Also, if you're not using the ion cannon to shoot down both of the escaping imperial shuttles, you're doing it wrong. Y-wings rule! :D