Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
Since they've more or less confirmed that Episode VII will have Hamill, Ford, and Fisher returning as old folks passing on the torch like Lucas originally intended, do you guys think its safe to assume Disney won't be throwing the EU out the window (or at least not all of it?)

If this turns out to be the case, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, the EU as of late has been godawful. But on the other hand, I've spent decades and a depressingly large sum of money keeping up with it. My bookshelf contains a copy of every EU book released, except some of the young adult books (which are a bitch to find). I'd hate to see all that go to waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

When I first heard they were planning to throw out a lot of the EU I flipped my poo poo. I've been a dedicated EU fan for decades. I can recite the entire history of that universe, in detail, without once looking at Wookiepedia. I took the bad with the good, rolled with it and loved the EU as a whole, even if some of it's constituent parts are crap. So you can imagine my nerd rage over the announcement.

But the more I think about it the more I've come to warm to the idea. They've said that once they cherrypick which parts of the EU to keep it will all be elevated to 100% no question canon alongside the films, and they'll be keeping a much closer eye on the cohesiveness of the greater universe because of this. That means going forward we'll have fewer retcons, fewer inconsistencies, and fewer arguments over how one piece of media invalidates another.

I have to admit I can't bring myself to hate the idea. So long as they keep the broad strokes so my time isn't totally wasted, I'm on board.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

jivjov posted:

Even if the New Canon dumps 99% of the old continuity, that timeline will still be there. I'm taking the stance of looking at it as basically 2 universes. One is the old continuity, episodes 1-6, and all the EU we've had from 1978 to 2013. The other will be episodes 1-9, the spin of films, presumably the clone wars TV show, and then whatever bits and bobs they decide to keep.

As far as the New Canon is concerned, I can pretty much guarantee that most of the existing EU will be completely gone. Especially anything post Return of the Jedi. They may surprise us and keep everything pre-Phantom Menace, since for the most part it's just hanging out not hurting anything further up the line. They may even decide to keep things like "a blue skinned Grand Admiral with a PhD in art history" and "Han and Leia have twins". But think about it...so much of the post ROTJ EU is completely dependent on a handful of major things. Mostly Han and Leia's children and Luke full on reforming the Jedi Order complete with a new temple and academy and such. Without the twins, Legacy of the Force (and thus Fate of the Jedi) never happens.

Hell, if they keep most of the Old Republic (mostly Bane, love that guy) and the basic story of the Vong War I'll be happy. I enjoyed the Yuuzhan Vong arc, even if the series really only needed four or five books tops. They can even throw out Chewies death, just keep the other major details.

Legacy and Fate can die in a fire though. I enjoyed Darth Caedus sort of. His whole "gently caress all this war, I'm gonna make peace even if I have to kill you all to do it" shtick was kind of cool. But that series was so terribly written that I had to create head-canon and between-the-lines interpretations of his motivations just to salvage him in my mind.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Farecoal posted:

Is Labyrinth of Evil any good?

I thought it was okay. On the quality spectrum of EU material I'd place it somewhere in the middle. Not terrible, but not particularly amazing either.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Siivola posted:

I honestly didn't like Legacy at all. I found Cade to be a major rear end in a top hat.

I agree that he was a giant rear end in a top hat but that's why I kind of liked him. Instead of the noble Jedi who fights for the good and just and "the light side is better because, reasons" like most Star Wars protagonists, we got a self-serving drug addict who only fights the Sith because he's not a total dick and recognizes hes the only one who can. He struck me as a guy who didn't really give a poo poo, but wasn't so socially stunted that he could stand by and watch genocide happen.

To each their own of course, but I felt he was a breath of fresh air when it comes to the standard Jedi hero.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Dark Times had some kickass art during the first few issues though. I think it was done by Douglas Wheatley if I remember correctly. Might have been Brian Ching. They both did Star Wars comics and have somewhat similar styles so I get them mixed up.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I agree that they weren't handled very well and were also laughably un-Star Wars, but as far as fictional alien races go they're in my top five. Their technology and history was fun to read about and I enjoyed considering the implications of a masochistic race of body-modifiers who accomplished the same things other races did but by using animals and genetic modification instead of machines and computers. Remove the Star Wars aspect and, to me at least, their concept is one of the most interesting and original alien races to ever grace science fiction.

I'd be down for a Vong novel with no references whatsoever to Star Wars.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

They're really not original. Their basic concept is just taking a 'evil savage race" like are a dime-a-dozen in lovely fantasy novels and transplanting them to Star Wars. They basically hit all the same notes right down to conveniently having animals that match up with technology. Considering R. A. Salvatore, a noted lovely Fantasy Writer, came up with them, I don't think that is a coincidence.

That's probably true. I don't read fantasy so don't have a reference point. But insofar as vaguely scientific alien races go, you rarely see anything like them.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

GodFish posted:

That was Obi-Two wasn't it? Probably would have been a better naming convention than Luuke to be honest.

I still believe that Luuke and Joruus where nothing more than a poorly implemented literary device to help the reader differentiate between the characters. You're not actually supposed to pronounce the extra vowel or anything.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

The ridicule EU proponents are facing now rubs me the wrong way. Why is it so hard to understand that a lot of us devoted a lot of time and tons of money to a universe that has been officially ended? Yeah, it's not going anywhere but nothing new will ever be added to it again. That universe was a big part of a lot of peoples lives for decades and it's dead.

It's not the most important thing in the world to get worked up over, and I myself have already accepted it and am ready to move on to the new EU, but is just a little understanding of our situation too much to ask?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Ensign_Ricky posted:

So I started reading Scoundrels today.

Did Tim Zahn actually make a "Han Shot First" joke???

I think it's a cardinal rule of the EU that any Han-centric EU novel has to reference him shooting first.

Seriously. Every post-Special Edition novel starring Han references that at some point.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Is Crucible any good? It's literally the only EU novel missing from my collection. I plan to pick it up regardless just to complete my EU collection, but Disney's announcement of their official stance on canon soured me and I keep putting it off.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

The biggest argument in favor of the trashing of the EU is that "most of the EU sucks."

But no one wants to consider that the new EU is probably also going to mostly suck. Replacing one convoluted nightmare of a continuity with another doesn't change anything. And at least the original one was a known quantity.

They could have avoided all of this with a simple statement that any material published after such and such date supersedes any past material that it may contradict and then let the fans sort it out as they go. Star Wars EU nerds love doing that anyways and it would have been win/win.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Oct 10, 2014

Esroc
May 31, 2010

From an EU perspective midichlorians never bothered me since they make it crystal clear that you cannot transfer midichlorians to a non-force sensitive. Which means even if the midi's are what allow you to tap into The Force, The Force is still a mystical thing that cannot be science'd into usefulness by just anyone.

It's like a wizard and his staff. Sure, the staff is what lets a wizard control magic and in most fantasy you can't just grab his staff and use it if you're not a wizard yourself. So it's not the staff that gives the wizard his power, it just helps him control it. Midichlorians are a genetic wizards staff.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Darth Freddy posted:

Bored and have credit on amazon for my kindle stuff. Just got done with the black fleet stuff and want to torture my self by reading about those zombie/bug people the yukky von? The people who killed chewbacca. Where do I start.

Vector Prime.

Mostly only the ones that got a hardcover release are essential to the plot, but Traitor is the only book out of the whole lot that's worth reading period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

I have all of those except the Force Unleashed games, and I definitely don't feel the need to spend money on them, especially since I hear the PC ports were terrible.

I'm one of the only people who thought those games were great, but man did the FUII port suck. I had a monster gaming rig at the time but that game would grind to a halt at the slightest provocation. The end fight with Vader was a slideshow.