Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

chordate posted:

What guitar/amp combo is best for wooing fair maidens

Skip the guitar/amp and get a plastic ocarina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I took a group class when I was starting out with guitar. I got a little out of it and a 2 month course of 1 hr lessons cost about the same as 4 one-on-one private 1/2 hour lessons, but I wouldn't recommend it. It didn't matter if it was theory or technique, there was always 2 or 3 people who were either daft or didn't practice or prepare that would just burn the teachers time up. I don't know if it just seemed that way because I had a bit of head start from trying to teach myself beforehand, but it really poo poo me.

So after 2 months there was myself and one other dude who went from bascially nothing to be being able to strum some very basic poo poo in the key of G, restring and tune our guitars, had a vague idea about the chromatic scale, time signatures and could build major and minor chords on paper.

The rest of the class was pretty dismal, there was people who had snapped strings trying to tune their guitars and never replaced them the whole time. There were people who couldn't play a C major chord or clap in 4/4 even though it was something we worked on literally every lesson. One guy bumbled around for half the course with a left handed guitar from a garage sale.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

wouldn't even bother spending that little on a pedal

Might be able to find a DS-1 at garage sale or something for that much.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Walked posted:

I can quickly (ish) change chord shapes, but doing it in rhythm mid-strum fucks me up. Two hands doing two different things. Working on that.

Definitely focus on this, and like The Gopher said, you don't have to play it perfect, you'll be hitting open strings or strings muted by your barring finger to stay in time. Once you get it down, even if its only for basic progressions and rhythm patterns in G, it'll just unlock a whole lot of music you can play along with someone else, a CD or people singing.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

vty posted:

How did you guys learn to play? Do you just grab all of your favorite tabs and practice speed and go from there?

Pact with Satan.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Clockwork Sputnik posted:

Any advice/sources for playing guitar and singing? Particularly for an ex-drummer, hahaha... :(

So I'm a good singer but still focus a lot on my breathing. I'm trying to add guitar to a few songs, and they're really pretty easy bits, which I can play fine on their own. But combining the two, my fingering goes wonky, my breathing off, my strumming seems like my arm has a mind of its own and my fingers just mash up into a jumble on the fretboard.

I consulted a professional friend of mine who said simply "Learn one, then the other, then combine" loving great.

I'm aware that chord changes take place during breaks in the vocals but I find myself running out of time when concentrating on everything.

So, thoughts, advice, links are all welcome!

What I focus on is the beat. The beat drives what I do with my hands, when I need to hit the chords and what my strumming hand is doing. This becomes something you can do pretty mindlessly after spending enough time playing along with other people or albums.

When I sing along to my playing, it's a matter of tying the vocals to the beat as well. So rather than trying to have the guitar drive your vocals or vice versa (which sounds like what you are trying to do by working chord changes around the vocals) it's more a matter having the beat drive both the vocals and the guitar.

So do a lot of active listening, clap hands and sing along. Get a handle on which chord in the progression and which beat in the bar the lines of the verse start on and so on.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Am I retarded, or is there no way of deleting empty bars in Guitar Pro other than cutting and then not pasting?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Gorilla Salsa posted:

ctrl-del

motherfuckers

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

crm posted:

Finally talked my wife into it lol

Picking this up tomorrow and starting lessons asap

http://www.samash.com/p/Takamine_EG340C-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar_-49984866

Is there anything else I should get other than a strap and a case of some sort?

Not going to bother with an amp at the moment.

Digital metronome, tuner, plectrums of different sizes (0.7mm-1.0mm), peg winder, small wire cutters, a capo and spare strings (11-52 ?) and a folder to store all your loose paper and songs in.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

crm posted:

what is this guitar pro and why should I use it?

Music notation program.

I found it to be more of hindrance to my ear training. I would try and figure stuff out by using trial and error in guitar pro and wasn't getting anywhere. I ditched that and instead worked on listening to rhythms and pitches and vocalising them. Then matching my playing to my voice.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

dolphins are gay posted:

anyone in Aus know how much Billy Hyde cost to re-setup a guitar?

Where do you live? I can recommend a couple of places in Brisbane. I imagine Billy Hyde would just send them off to someone else anyway.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

MurraneousX posted:

So I've been hammering at my guitar every day since I've got it back in march yet somehow I've not bought a proper practice amp yet.

I'm looking at something like either a VOX Pathfinder 10 or a Marshall MG10, anybody got any recommendations either way?

I like the Pathfinder as a robust little amp for carrying around. A couple of the people I jam with have picked one up for the same thing after trying mine.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

Don't spend too long on chromatic warmups. Once you get some basic dexterity with both hands, move on to scale warmups (plus arpeggios if you're feeling perspicacious). It does very little good to spend that much time playing patterns you don't use in music. Warming up with musical fundamentals goes a long way to making those familiar musical sounds second nature.

First thing I do when I pick up a guitar is play the C major scale up and down, position by position, starting at the open 6th string E and going up as far as that guitar allows. Once I've done that a couple times through in quavers and triplets and without any mistakes I go on.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

CalvinDooglas posted:

Now do the other 11 scales!

What do I look like, Andres Segovia?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Do you have to ask? The SG has devil horns and everything.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Tubular, vocal, bell-like, dark, mellow...uh I'm out of words

unsparkly

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
If you take it to a chain store they'll ship it off to a luthier anyway. Ask around and see who people are using locally.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
The sooner you dispense with tab and learn to work from the stave the better.

Sell your Rocksmith game and buy a Hal Leonard book.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Maybe I'm a guitar philistine, but I love Elixir strings. It's all I use.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

So I borrowed Rocksmith from a friend. Man I suck at it. I thought I was alright at guitar but I'm rubbish at Rocksmith. I think I'm not really a visual learner because once I know the progression/melody/riff I can get it fine but translating those dots to notes? My brain doesn't like it.

I hate the Guitar Hero style of notation too. The colour coding of the strings messes me up and all poo poo flying everywhere makes it hard for me to see the fret numbers.

I haven't played the new version, but the original's 'Riff Repeater' sucks. There's no metronome. It only plays whole sections of the song so if you're trying to decipher what's happening in the last bar of that section it's a huge pain. Everything is slow to navigate around.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I just gave up after maybe 10 hours. Between tab, bass clef, treble clef there's plenty of notation I'd rather be investing my time in.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Mastering Rockband video game notation is pretty far down my list of priorities.

Developing me ear is an ongoing thing. If I wanted to work on ear training with Rockband songs, I wouldn't be doing it in Rockband, navigating around in the riff repeater is pain in the arse.

For me personally, reading and transcribing to the stave really helped me with my ear training. I'm not talking pitch, but hearing a phrase or rhythm and being able to think about it in terms of subdivision of the beat.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Grawl posted:

I haven't touched or restringed my guitar for at least 5 years, but I ordered Rocksmith, so I removed the strings and cleaned the guitar. I'm going to a music store tomorrow to get new strings, however, I can't really find a decisive answer online what strings I should use on my guitar. It's a cheap Washburn WR120 (electrical guitar).

I don't know if it goes against the internet elitist hivemind, but I would consider long life strings. Not sure if Elixir brand is available where you are but it's all I use.

Most music stores will probably just give you D'addario lights if you walk up to the counter with no idea about which strings to put on your electric.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Grawl posted:

Perhaps it's better if I call ahead/bring my guitar along?

You've taken the old strings off already?

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
No offense intended to any one, but I think if you have no idea about what strings to buy for your guitar, you might want to hold off on fiddling around with truss rods for the time being.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I will never buy another guitar with a tremolo bridge.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Lead out in cuffs posted:

No, the link does not work. Since it's basically just notation, why don't you export it to TAB and copy/paste that? Also, a recording of you actually playing (try SoundCloud or something) is much more likely to get a response.

It works for me.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Adam Jones is the reason the 80's Silverburst LP's go for $4000 or more.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

This is all a roundabout way of saying, the JustinGuitar stuff lacks the comprehension aspect that seems to drive learning for me. Those lessons are like a guy saying "Say these words in this order and it'll make a sentence, promise," without explaining to me what those words mean, why saying them in that order makes a sentence, what that sentence means, etc. Figuring out the why of the power chords made it a snap for me to learn the how. Are there any resources out there online that take that sort of approach to teaching guitar to beginners? Even now, it's great that I understand the power chord scale, but it doesn't answer questions like "Why does E+B make an E chord?", and I think once I grasp that concept it'll be easier to understand how to navigate all of the strings and frets. What makes G+B+D+B+G+G an open G chord? Obviously three strings are playing G at different pitches, but what makes the Bs and D "go" with that?

If you're the kind of person who is motivated to understand music and not just follow along with youtube videos in monkey-see-monkey-do fashion, I think you would gain a lot from the Hal Leonard Guitar method book. I think it's pretty good for self teaching guitar or people with no serious musical background but still has enough pedagogy to it that you'll develop an understanding music.

Also, music theory is music theory, doesn't matter if it is guitar specific or not. Any general music theory resource is going to cover chord construction. I've browsed through the 'Dummies' book on music theory and it was pretty decent.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

duckfarts posted:

Do....do these work with Floyd rose trems? :unsmigghh:

I tried it, it told me the only correct tuning is not to tune.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

SG Original arrived today. Purchased a Super Sonic 60 for a good price.

Today is a good day.

Nice. I like the SG and Fender tube amp combination.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

muike posted:

I love DR but I've not heard a single good thing about their coated strings. I really like Elixirs. I hear the D'Addario coated ones are also pretty nice.

I use elixirs on everything. It's what I use on my SG.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
For starting amps. I have a Microcube now that's okay, I don't use any of the modelling BS but it does what it needs to.

I did use to have a Vox Pathfinder and that was very decent, I would recommend it as a starting/bedroom/lounge amp.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

I must have a dud or something because I have a Pathfinder 10 and the clean channel sounds slightly like it is underwater and the overdrive goes from "okay crunch" to "white noise" with nothing in between. It does do the trick though, and I don't know how much better other amps in the same price (AU$88) are.

The overdrive channel is complete shite.

The clean channel might be a little less forgiving than more expensive amps but for a basic beginners amps I prefer it to similar offerings I've tried. It's sturdy too.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

syntaxfunction posted:

Squier Cyclone? Good idea, but unfortunately I'm in Australia, Brisbane specifically, and it seems like a used guitar wasteland here unless you want lovely $90 knockoff Strats.

Sadly they don't have a list of dealers and I can't find any in Australia from a preliminary search. It doesn't seem to want to let me buy from their online store either.

The Guitar store on Latrobe St Paddington are Fender dealers.

I've bought guitars and amps from them before, never had a bad experience.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

field balm posted:

I bought an amp from here after recently moving this side of town, staff seemed great and I love the area, it will be my local shop from now on.

The Guitar Repairers on Musgrave Rd is something to see. It's not open to the public really I don't think, just by appointment for customs and restoration work. It's like a museum inside. I got to have a look around when I was there to collect a guitar for a friend that had some repair done on it.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I find guitar harder to sight read for compared to bass too. I can't read the notes on ledger lines as well as the ones on the standard staff lines.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

beergod posted:

I think the issue is that the way I normally play, my palm is really nowhere near the base of the strings. So I have to adjust my entire position when a part in a song containing palm mutes comes up.

Should I adjust the way I normally play so that my palm is closer to the base of the strings?

I make some adjustments when I switch to palm muting. Mostly its to get some sustain in your muted notes, this means having your palm closer to the bridge than what you would have strumming (typically) and angling the plectrum for more attack.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

awesmoe posted:

How do guitar pro tabs even work? Is there a free way to download and play them or is this the one thing on the entire internet that people actually pay for?

I use Tuxguitar. Never had a problem with it opening guitar pro files you find on ultimate-guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Southern Heel posted:

For playing fast, have you guys found that consistently increasing tempo over a long period is the best method? I wonder if there is a breakpoint which requires one to simply develop technique in other areas rather than repeating the same movements over and over - specifically tremolo picking.

I think so.

But shear volume of practice with the metronome might not be the solution if you're being limited by tension or bad mechanics.

As far as 'endurance' goes, I like to alternate. Keep the metronome going and alternate fast and slow. 2 beats eighth notes, 2 beats sixteenths or whatever.