Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirt
May 26, 2003

muike posted:

I'm not much of a wah guy, but what I've heard of the Jerry Cantrell Crybaby is just so loving sick. The Vox wahs sound nice too.

I'm not a big wah guy, but I have owned quite a few of them over the years. The Cantrell one is my current favorite.

The Buddy Guy one is legit too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Dirt posted:

I'm not a big wah guy, but I have owned quite a few of them over the years. The Cantrell one is my current favorite.

I'm not a big wah guy either, but I've always wanted one for noodling about. Figure a decent sale price might sway me to mount one on my board.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Wahs are good as a tone filter too, even a lovely amp distortion can become a thing of coolness with a wah in a fixed position

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
Can anybody recommend a free and easy to use amp sim for OSX? I have Garageband but the amp sims are not exactly great, and they are noisy as hell.
I need to lay down a quick metal track for a friend and my current setup just does not work for way downtuned chuggy palm muted riffs.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

baka kaba posted:

Wahs are good as a tone filter too, even a lovely amp distortion can become a thing of coolness with a wah in a fixed position

If I'm not mistaken, that's how Jimmy Page got his cool trebly tone.

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

iostream.h posted:

Aaand I just happen to be in Mass at the moment, awesome!

Western Mass? You should check it out. Halloween party tonight.

The high end vintage stuff hangs above the bar or high up on the wall to the right. There's some cool stuff in that picture: a 62 Les Paul Junior, a 65 Gretsch, a 64 Jaguar.

There's not really many lower end electrics, mostly for space reasons.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

TopherCStone posted:

Can anybody recommend a free and easy to use amp sim for OSX? I have Garageband but the amp sims are not exactly great, and they are noisy as hell.
I need to lay down a quick metal track for a friend and my current setup just does not work for way downtuned chuggy palm muted riffs.

I think Amplitube and Guitar Rig have free versions that might be a bit limited in terms of what you can do with them. Failing that, you can always play around with Ignite Amps plugins. You can get appropriately br00tal sounds out of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_OfzBBIsMw

Castor Poe posted:

If I'm not mistaken, that's how Jimmy Page got his cool trebly tone.

I think he just used a wah as a wah rather than as a notch filter. That treble is all Esquire baby. Zappa, on the other hand

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
Tried out a few Wahs. Probably going to get the Boss one. The "auto-off" feature of the Morley BH-2 was kind of off putting for me (to each his own though).

Out the door price of $110 new. Decisions.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Sockington posted:

The "auto-off" feature of the Morley BH-2 was kind of off putting for me
If it's like the Bad Horsie you can set the delay to be either instantaneous or delayed, if that's the issue you're having.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

iostream.h posted:

If it's like the Bad Horsie you can set the delay to be either instantaneous or delayed, if that's the issue you're having.

I liked it didn't have the "click on" to activate it, but it wouldn't hold a position indefinitely from what I was looking at. The Boss PW-10 has some interestesting sounds to fiddle with for a no-talent bluesdad like myself.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

TopherCStone posted:

Lepou Lecto, TSE 808, and the GuitarHack impulses set.

Koth
Jul 1, 2005
My local Long & Mcquade has a used Hofner Contemporary Series Verythin semi-hollow body guitar on sale for $425. I gave it a try, just playing with it unplugged, and it feels really nice. The action on that guitar is amazing.

I'm just not very familiar with Hofner guitars. Has anyone ever played one or owned one before?

coolbian57
Sep 27, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Pocket Billiards posted:

Mastering Rockband video game notation is pretty far down my list of priorities.

Developing me ear is an ongoing thing. If I wanted to work on ear training with Rockband songs, I wouldn't be doing it in Rockband, navigating around in the riff repeater is pain in the arse.

For me personally, reading and transcribing to the stave really helped me with my ear training. I'm not talking pitch, but hearing a phrase or rhythm and being able to think about it in terms of subdivision of the beat.

I just improvise by ear over chords, I can't do it any other way so I don't try to force it. Same for learning songs, learning them by ear (and maybe just writing down the structure of the song riff by riff) is the best way for me. My weakness then is sight reading, I can read through scores no problem but getting them right first try is difficult for me. Also speed is difficult for first passes through chords when improvising because I'm thinking about every note, I have to develop the ideas first and get them up to speed later.

Everyone learns in different ways.

coolbian57 fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Nov 1, 2013

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Koth posted:

My local Long & Mcquade has a used Hofner Contemporary Series Verythin semi-hollow body guitar on sale for $425. I gave it a try, just playing with it unplugged, and it feels really nice. The action on that guitar is amazing.

I'm just not very familiar with Hofner guitars. Has anyone ever played one or owned one before?

Yes. I'm always pimping Hofner in this thread. That Verythin is Chinese made, as is all of their Contemporary models. But they are incredibly good quality wise. I recently sold a Hofner Club CT to an old guy here at work who was always asking me to consider parting with it. Figured he'd give it more love than I would.

I was going to trade my Eric Johnson for one of the high end Chinese made Hofner's but decided to keep it.

I'd go for it if you like it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm getting a guitar. I had originally been set on a set of drums(making a big deal out of it in the drums thread a while back), but stuff happened, I had a falling out with the guy I was gonna play with(who was going to be the guitarist between us), and now my grandfather offered to get me a guitar, so I've ended up with a new interest. It's been there for awhile but I hadn't seriously thought about learning the guitar since the other guy was going for it, but now I'm pretty excited for it. I've got a friend teaching me the ropes about basic music stuff, and he knows a lot, but he's more of a pianist. I don't want to seem overly indecisive, with having originally wanting to be a drummer, but I'm passionate and will really be throwing myself into learning how to play well.

This will sound dumb, now, and please don't fault me for it, but what's the danger of the strings catching you in the eye? Is that only with real cheap guitars, or is it a specific mistake made by players that causes it?

Sadsack
Mar 5, 2009

Fighting evil with cups of tea and crippling self-doubt.

WickedHate posted:

I'm getting a guitar. I had originally been set on a set of drums(making a big deal out of it in the drums thread a while back), but stuff happened, I had a falling out with the guy I was gonna play with(who was going to be the guitarist between us), and now my grandfather offered to get me a guitar, so I've ended up with a new interest. It's been there for awhile but I hadn't seriously thought about learning the guitar since the other guy was going for it, but now I'm pretty excited for it. I've got a friend teaching me the ropes about basic music stuff, and he knows a lot, but he's more of a pianist. I don't want to seem overly indecisive, with having originally wanting to be a drummer, but I'm passionate and will really be throwing myself into learning how to play well.

This will sound dumb, now, and please don't fault me for it, but what's the danger of the strings catching you in the eye? Is that only with real cheap guitars, or is it a specific mistake made by players that causes it?

Unless you're trying to play the guitar with your teeth Hendrix-style, I would imagine you're fine. On the rare occasions that I've broken a string (re-stringing and playing) the string just sort of...pings apart. It doesn't thrash around like an angry cobra.

Edit: Oh, and for a new guitarist bookmark http://www.justinguitar.com/. Almost everything you will ever need to learn is there, and it's all contained in easy to understand five minute videos.

Sadsack fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Nov 1, 2013

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

WickedHate posted:

Well, there are usually three causes of string breakage in guitars. The one you'd most likely have to worry about is manufacturing defects in the bridge or tuners called burrs. If they do appear they are quite easy to fix, even if you have no experience in guitar maintenance. The second is if you tune the guitar string too high of a pitch, this one is possibly the worst in creating a 'string in eye' incident; but that said, I've heard of people accidentally tuning a guitar to an octave higher than standard pitch without breaking all of the strings, so you're likely safe from this. The final reason is just the strings being worn out from normal use, I've always played sets of strings until they've broken and I haven't had a case of 'string cutting eyeball' so I'd say you're pretty safe from this one too. Plus for the first and last cases, I've never had them swing wildly away from the guitar; they just kinda snap in place, then flop towards the ground.

Plus all of the people I know who play stringed instruments still have both eyes.

But that said, knowing these things never makes tuning the high E string less tense.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Nov 1, 2013

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Thank you. That was my main fear with a guitar. I'm a very nervous person, though if I get too paranoid I can always wear a wielding mask.

Sadsack posted:

Edit: Oh, and for a new guitarist bookmark http://www.justinguitar.com/. Almost everything you will ever need to learn is there, and it's all contained in easy to understand five minute videos.

Thanks. I'll start on these when I get home.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

The first time I restrung a guitar I did just fine. Then I immediately tuned the low E an octave too high and broke it. :doh:

Since I was trying out a new gauge of strings that no nearby stores carried (12s on a Jaguar), I had to throw out the whole set to avoid waiting on shipping to play it again. :doh::doh:

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zonekeeper posted:

The first time I restrung a guitar I did just fine. Then I immediately tuned the low E an octave too high and broke it. :doh:

Since I was trying out a new gauge of strings that no nearby stores carried (12s on a Jaguar), I had to throw out the whole set to avoid waiting on shipping to play it again. :doh::doh:

12s are great on a jaguar. I consider them almost mandatory.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

WickedHate posted:

Thank you. That was my main fear with a guitar. I'm a very nervous person, though if I get too paranoid I can always wear a wielding mask.

Just always wear sunglasses when handling a guitar, problem solved and you'll always look cool. :cool:

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right
I haven't touched or restringed my guitar for at least 5 years, but I ordered Rocksmith, so I removed the strings and cleaned the guitar. I'm going to a music store tomorrow to get new strings, however, I can't really find a decisive answer online what strings I should use on my guitar. It's a cheap Washburn WR120 (electrical guitar).

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Grawl posted:

I haven't touched or restringed my guitar for at least 5 years, but I ordered Rocksmith, so I removed the strings and cleaned the guitar. I'm going to a music store tomorrow to get new strings, however, I can't really find a decisive answer online what strings I should use on my guitar. It's a cheap Washburn WR120 (electrical guitar).

Just get some D'Addario Regular Light strings, those should be fine unless you're looking for a particular sound?

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL1...+guitar+strings

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C

Kaboobi posted:

Just get some D'Addario Regular Light strings, those should be fine unless you're looking for a particular sound?

http://www.amazon.com/DAddario-EXL1...+guitar+strings

Nah, especially since I'll be using the Rocksmith cable, it should matter even less how it sounds. Thanks, I'll grab a pack of these tomorrow (or at least light strings).

Hiowf
Jun 28, 2013

We don't do .DOC in my cave.
D'Addario has some 52-10 heavy top light bottom sets specifically for Standard + Drop D. Rocksmith and especially RS2014 have quite some drop tuned stuff so consider that as well.

Edit: Might have been medium bottom 52-11s, it's been a while.

Hiowf fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 1, 2013

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax

Grawl posted:

Strings are 100% personal preference. The only good piece of advice I can give is buy a handful of different brand/guage/type of strings and try them out as you need to restring. But any variable of string is just something that slightly alters your tone, and in the end any type of sting is good enough for anything.

But my recommendations are EB Cobalts, DR Pure Blues, and Rotosounds. If they aren't available, go for D'Addarios, they are popular and easy-to-find. Don't worry about how different guages affect your sound, I find that they don't tend to affect your sound in a notable way, try .09's as I find them to be pretty popular and easy to play so they're a good starting point to find what guage feels best for you.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
Nickel strings sound better on a single-coil pickup guitar, OR on a guitar playing through a Fender-y amplifier -- this goes doubly-so for a single-coil played through a Fender-y amp -- as they warm out the ice-pick tendencies of these sorts of combinations.

If you are playing a humbucker pickup guitar or are using a warmer amp, consider brighter string materials (steel).

Generally, strings which push against the tendencies of your instrument / amp combination seem to compliment the overall tone. One might think that this sort of middling approach would end up with a best-of-no-worlds sort of thing, but this hasn't been my experience at all.

It can be very difficult sometimes to find the perfect strings for your instrument. It took me a few years to get the exact brand and style string such that they do exactly what I want them to do.

This is usually where having a more common guitar / amp combo can come in handy, because more often than not most people will tend to have a good idea of what strings you'll want depending on what sound you're going for.

That having been written, strings are cheap and it can be really fun to experiment with different brands. Just try to stick with the same gauge so you get relatively the same string tension, so you don't have to keep doing new setups each time you change your strings

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

comes along bort posted:

Lepou Lecto, TSE 808, and the GuitarHack impulses set.

Have played around with the Lepou stuff and it's pretty good so far. Need to really sit down with it tonight.
I like that TSE also has a BDDI sim, that'll come in handy too. Thanks!

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Schlieren posted:

Nickel strings sound better on a single-coil pickup guitar, OR on a guitar playing through a Fender-y amplifier -- this goes doubly-so for a single-coil played through a Fender-y amp -- as they warm out the ice-pick tendencies of these sorts of combinations.

If you are playing a humbucker pickup guitar or are using a warmer amp, consider brighter string materials (steel).

Generally, strings which push against the tendencies of your instrument / amp combination seem to compliment the overall tone. One might think that this sort of middling approach would end up with a best-of-no-worlds sort of thing, but this hasn't been my experience at all.

It can be very difficult sometimes to find the perfect strings for your instrument. It took me a few years to get the exact brand and style string such that they do exactly what I want them to do.

This is usually where having a more common guitar / amp combo can come in handy, because more often than not most people will tend to have a good idea of what strings you'll want depending on what sound you're going for.

That having been written, strings are cheap and it can be really fun to experiment with different brands. Just try to stick with the same gauge so you get relatively the same string tension, so you don't have to keep doing new setups each time you change your strings

Agree 100%. 1 time I had to restring my Tele with Stainless strings and played through my Princeton it was it almost enough to break glass. I think that balance is the key with most tonal combinations this same principle applies to mic selection too.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003

umalt posted:

Strings are 100% personal preference.

I'm pretty sure you can screw up your setup if you put strings on a guitar that don't work well with it, like uh mechanically.

For example, a Bigsby doesn't like small strings.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Grawl posted:

I don't know if it goes against the internet elitist hivemind, but I would consider long life strings. Not sure if Elixir brand is available where you are but it's all I use.

Most music stores will probably just give you D'addario lights if you walk up to the counter with no idea about which strings to put on your electric.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Pocket Billiards posted:

Most music stores will probably just give you D'addario lights if you walk up to the counter with no idea about which strings to put on your electric.

I try to get my customers to refer to string gauges by number to make it easier for them to navigate every company's varying definition of "light/super light/agonizingly light/etc". If they're buying strings for the first time, I'll usually recommend a .009 gauge set if they have a Fender-style and a .010 if they have Gibson-style. Then I make them promise to take the guitar in to me if the neck bows and gets hard to play or if the strings rub against the frets and buzz out, so I can make it all better.

EDIT: I've also trained my co-workers to always ask "are you sure?" in response to requests for "medium strings".

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
Perhaps it's better if I call ahead/bring my guitar along?

Grawl fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Nov 2, 2013

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

If they're any decent guitar store they'll have some gauges in the back, and they'll be able to tell you exactly what gauge your old strings are (unless you threw them away which makes the gauges slightly less useful). If you don't know they'll probably just give you a standard set and you can see how they feel.

Also really you're best not taking the strings off unless you're restringing soon after. There's meant to be tension on the neck, it likes it

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

TopherCStone posted:

Have played around with the Lepou stuff and it's pretty good so far. Need to really sit down with it tonight.
I like that TSE also has a BDDI sim, that'll come in handy too. Thanks!
Of course, right as I get things working pretty well I see that there's a new version of Garageband that I naively decided to update to thinking that nothing could go wrong. Instead Apple managed to completely hobble the program and though it's still possible to have audio units installed, there doesn't seem to be any way to actually use them (no way to add them to a track)

baka kaba posted:

Also really you're best not taking the strings off unless you're restringing soon after. There's meant to be tension on the neck, it likes it
That's a myth. There's nothing wrong with taking all the strings off and leaving it. The only harm would be if the guitar has a bridge/tailpiece that is held on by string pressure, in which case it might fall off and be a minor inconvenience.

e: also if it has a floyd rose or similar trem system it can be an inconvenience to take them all off at once, but still not harmful

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Grawl posted:

Perhaps it's better if I call ahead/bring my guitar along?

You've taken the old strings off already?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

TopherCStone posted:

That's a myth. There's nothing wrong with taking all the strings off and leaving it. The only harm would be if the guitar has a bridge/tailpiece that is held on by string pressure, in which case it might fall off and be a minor inconvenience.

e: also if it has a floyd rose or similar trem system it can be an inconvenience to take them all off at once, but still not harmful

Really? Everything I've seen has basically said the truss rod can seriously bow the neck over time if the strings aren't on there to counter its tension, so you should at the very least loosen it. Not like I've tried it or anything, and there's a lot of 'common knowledge' out there, but I'm pretty sure I've seen some parts manufacturers warn about it too

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Yeah it's not really a major issue to worry about. The only time I would say be mindful of it is if the neck is defretted.

40 OZ
May 16, 2003
Seems like this is one of those mysteries.

Just doing the math in my head, if your truss rod was cranked I don't see how it couldn't screw up the neck. So i'd go ahead and loosen that up if I was gonna store a guitar (for a long time) with no strings.

It certainly couldn't hurt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

WickedHate posted:

I've had one or two snap on me while restringing cheap guitars, never caught one in the face as far as I can remember mostly just the hand. It smarts and you'll feel like an idiot but that's the worst of it, never drawn blood.

Now string ends will poke through your skin real good so be careful when you're winding the pegs. Did my Ibanez sound better after the blood offering? Well now that you mention it.. Nope :v: