Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Just do 5x555x with four fingers and then hop over to x5455x by moving a couple, then do that maj7 at 3x443x and now you're doing a jazz

:nice:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I play that maj7 shape with 4 fingers too (1st finger on the root) although a mini barre lets you switch to the 5th-string root version more easily (for the jazz)

here's a couple others you can try

5766xx Amaj7, like the bottom 4 strings of a major barre only with the root's octave knocked back a fret to the major 7th. It's basically the 5x665x one only with that highest note (which is the 5th) knocked back down an octave, so all the notes are closer together and it sounds less bright and open

5xx654 that's just most of the notes all up in the shimmer zone with a bassy root holding everything down. Probably more of a fingerstyle one unless your muting game is on point (also this is the 5x665x one again but with the major 7th moved up an octave to the top string)

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Helianthus Annuus posted:

theres another 6th string root voicing to consider. i dont think anyone uses it, its just "root position" 5421xx

^^ i give this one 1/5 stars because of how uncomfortable it is to play, but you could use it further up the neck if you wanted. but the way it "spocks" out your fingers makes it a bummer

Yeah I thought about that as a what if, it's a lot of thirds though! But you could definitely use it in a Situation

It's not movable but x3240x is still my fav, so dark, so mean then you can add a finger to get x3243x and have a maj9 - so nice, so pure!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Huxley posted:

I had a spare cheapo acoustic up on facebook market to sell and a guy offered me twice the value in bass for it, so now I own a bass.

How do you play bass? (Is there a Justin equivalent or something? A good book to recommend?)

I think StudyBass is the closest Justin equivalent - structured course with lots of video lessons, starting with the fundamentals (and also teaching you why you're playing that stuff) with playlists of songs using the technique you just learned. It's good!

bass owns, you just entered the fun zone