Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I've been slowly learning five-string banjo over the last three years and plan to buy an AL-2000 next week. Should I tune it in open G so the chord shapes and scales I know will carry over or just start learning from scratch in standard EADGBE?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

chordate posted:

This is going to sound really dumb but is there a genre dictionary around, for something like which rhythms/sounds go with each? I realize there aren't fully agreed-upon definitions for what makes music "country" or "blues" and everyone hates that anyway but that's basically what I'm looking for.

I think genre distinctions are a mostly a product of instrumentation and vocal style. For example, almost any song can be played with banjo rolls and a fiddle and a lapsteel and it'll sound country as gently caress. Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyzVXFIbSDM

Just listen to the stuff you want to emulate and emulate it.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

a retard posted:

Anyone here own any guitars from Monoprice? I was thinking of picking up a blue Retro Vision (their Telecaster model) and just wanted to know how they are quality wise.

I've heard a lot of speculation that they're rebadges of the Rondo SX line

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Is it classic 60hz or something else?

Also, lets all petition for a national A4= 427.63 Hz standard, then mains hum will just be a free tuner and drone B string. 440 only became dominant because Nazis.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

fullroundaction posted:

Yeah that attitude is really stupid. Slipknot plays telecasters and jazzmasters, Tim Armstrong (Op Ivy/Rancid) plays Gretsch hollowbodies, Albert King played a flying V, etc. If you can play, no one will give a poo poo about what you played it on.

I can't find anyone playing country on a Warlock though ...

Alabama's Jeff Cook is almost exclusively seen with a Parker Fly these days

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

M8x.75 if it's metric.

The 32 in 3/8 means 32 threads per inch, that's part of the Unified National Extra Fine series thread standard and is relatively unlikely to be stocked anywhere compared to the ubiquitous UNC (coarse) and common UNF (fine) thread series. My suggestion for finding something that works at lowes would be to look for a single pole toggle switch and try the nut that comes with it.

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 5, 2016

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Elissimpark posted:

If I ever what to find new music, I often Google two genres that I feel should exist together and I find someone else has too and here's their album.

No electro psych doom Leonard Cohen yet, but I remain optimistic.

I got u fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBC-WSckTR4

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

You should have an opinion because Steely Dan is hot loving garbage. Chevy Chase was their original drummer and even he knew they were loving garbage.

Steely Dan sucked so bad their guitarist quit music out of shame and spent the rest of his life as a ballistic missile defense lobbyist

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

shame on an IGA posted:

Steely Dan sucked so bad their guitarist quit music out of shame and spent the rest of his life as a ballistic missile defense lobbyist

hi so I'd only ever heard their radio hits years ago when boomer rock was still a popular format.

Listening to Aja right now and many apologies for my bad opinion and many thanks to you all for correcting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Huxley posted:

Just considering the rock era, I think it was Tom Petty.

Of all time it's probably like, Beethoven. Or an Indian or Chinese composer I've never heard of.

it dis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1j_A2ebr048