Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

alnilam posted:

There are plenty of reasons to get mad at landlords but before you make a fake one up to get mad at, that might just be a copy of the actual late fees etc from the water utility. If they match up with the fees that the water utility charges, there's your answer.

The late fee from the city is $5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Because you don't own the property, I doubt there's a legal recourse for their bullshit of 'handling this for you' while charging you out the rear end for the assistance. Unless there's some local ordinance, it's likely that they can charge whatever they want to act as an intermediary between you and the city's water supply, and you don't really have a way to say 'no thanks'.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Generally these corporations know the laws of the places they operate in before they make the purchase. You can check the rules for where you live and you might find something that says you can opt out of their scam but I wouldn't get my hopes up for even that much.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've lived in at least one city where it was in fact unlawful to charge extra fees for utilities like this. If this is the case for you, a certified letter aka Landlord's Bane might be in order, but for a huge corporate landlord they might just ignore it... would be worth a try :shrug: all of this is of course based on the hypothetical situation that your city forbids this practice, which is unlikely

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Flournival Dixon posted:

Generally these corporations know the laws of the places they operate in before they make the purchase. You can check the rules for where you live and you might find something that says you can opt out of their scam but I wouldn't get my hopes up for even that much.

While the companies do typically know the laws sometimes, especially if it's a nationwide or non-regional REIT, they might have a SOP they use without checking that ends up being illegal in your area, so it's worth taking a look at. You might be able to call 311 or email your city's water department directly to ask if this is legal.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Yngwie Mangosteen posted:

While the companies do typically know the laws sometimes, especially if it's a nationwide or non-regional REIT, they might have a SOP they use without checking that ends up being illegal in your area, so it's worth taking a look at. You might be able to call 311 or email your city's water department directly to ask if this is legal.

I'm in Georgia and it's legal.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
rip

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

In that case send them a certified letter with a big ascii middle finger printout

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Is taking two pills of a 1mg dose exactly the same as one pill of a 2mg dose, or are they broken down slightly faster or slower since they're in separate pills?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

It depends. There's some pretty sophisticated engineering that goes into delivery mechanisms for medicine so you need to know how it is for the specific pill you're looking at.

For the same reason, cutting a pill in half can drastically affect the rate at which the active compounds are absorbed.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Yeah that's definitely something you should ask your pharmacist.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
You can call your pharmacy and the pharmacist has a system they can use to look it up and tell you.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

It depends. There's some pretty sophisticated engineering that goes into delivery mechanisms for medicine so you need to know how it is for the specific pill you're looking at.

For the same reason, cutting a pill in half can drastically affect the rate at which the active compounds are absorbed.

Really? Even for those white tablets that seem to be just compressed powder? I mean, for capsules sure, that seems clear, but otherwise?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Hyperlynx posted:

Really? Even for those white tablets that seem to be just compressed powder? I mean, for capsules sure, that seems clear, but otherwise?
There are pills that have a thin film coating that dissolves more slowly than the actual pill would. The ones I take for my garbage brain make me sleepy and I can accelerate that by breaking them into pieces.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
how can I link an image in discord without it previewing, and changing the link text to something besides the URL? Like I want to do

click this link for an image

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
it uses markdown syntax so to change link text you type it like
code:
[click this link](example.com/farts)
if the link goes to an image it'll still auto-embed it though

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

it uses markdown syntax so to change link text you type it like
code:
[click this link](example.com/farts)

Your example doesn't work because it needs the https:// at the start.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can stop it from auto-embedding with <...>, as in [not a rickroll](<https://sometimesredsometimesblue.com>).

(Also, a tiny percentage of Discord servers don't allow text links like these for security reasons.)

dirby fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Apr 12, 2024

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Thanks guys, I'll give that a try

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

You know when you're listening to a song that has acoustic guitar and you can hear their fingers sliding along the strings? Like a slinky metallic sound. Is there a word for that?

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

wash bucket posted:

You know when you're listening to a song that has acoustic guitar and you can hear their fingers sliding along the strings? Like a slinky metallic sound. Is there a word for that?

String Noise

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Do folks have opinions on that? I hear it so much I assumed people did it on purpose to provide... texture.

Also, thanks for the answer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

wash bucket posted:

Do folks have opinions on that? I hear it so much I assumed people did it on purpose to provide... texture.

It's a very ordinary and often necessary effect of playing a stringed instrument, especially one with coiled strings. Experienced players understand it as such, but (particularly adult) beginners are often bothered by it because they think it's a sign of something wrong.

As for listening, ymmv, but in my opinion guitar music without it can sound very unnatural and fake, like it's a MIDI or something. Stuff like that are just part of the instrumentation to me, like hearing a singer take a breath between long sections.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
i think string noise is cool as a casual listener who doesnt play anything

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

wash bucket posted:

If it's incidental and not overwhelming I like it ala Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

If it sounds almost deliberate or it's constant, I can't stand it, like Hey There Delilah

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
I ordered a sterling silver pendant necklace and it arrived with a gouge on the front of the piece. It's tiny but it catches the light and is literally the first thing I noticed when I opened the box. Could a jeweler fix it up and, if so, would it cost very much?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

If it's incidental and not overwhelming I like it ala Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here

If it sounds almost deliberate or it's constant, I can't stand it, like Hey There Delilah

Wish you were here (in the first solo), it's weirdly deliberate, there's no transition that requires it, at least the way I play it. It works though.

My living room guitar has flats specifically to avoid string noise though.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting
When you get arrested in the States, where you're held at first until you post bail (if you're allowed to, and can) and where you go if you are actually convicted of a crime are generally not the same place, right? How often do people who can get bailed out get held in facilities with/alongside convicted in a court of law inmates?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
As I understand it, when you're pre-trial or serving a very short sentence, you go to jail. If you're convicted and serving a longer sentence, you go to prison. A convicted person might be held in a jail temporarily if they're like, being transferred or something, but I don't think someone awaiting trial would end up in a prison at all.

I'm not an expert, I just have a friend who works for the courts local to me, so I may not be totally right

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
Is it possible while exercising to isolate a part of the trapezius muscle? Specifically the right side that sits on your scapula?

Ironhead
Jan 19, 2005

Ironhead. Mmm.

Cornwind Evil posted:

When you get arrested in the States, where you're held at first until you post bail (if you're allowed to, and can) and where you go if you are actually convicted of a crime are generally not the same place, right? How often do people who can get bailed out get held in facilities with/alongside convicted in a court of law inmates?

Based on personal experience, and having bailed out friends, this is how it's worked for me in Texas.

Get arrested (by city cop) end up at city jail, at the city police station.

I was released in the morning (after being arraigned by a judge via video chat, and this was pre-covid).

We were in a general holding area all together during the day. Then we were put in cells of 4 with 4 beds for the night. Back to general holding in the morning.

No one I was with had been convicted .

My buddy got arrested, same city, and eventually was transferred to county jail (which was literally like a mile away) and held for a few days even after we had gotten bail together. He was with people that had been convicted, and were either awaiting trial at the nearby court house, or were in a similar situation as him.

I think typically they would be in different wings or areas, but all the jails are overflowing for stupid poo poo, so who knows I guess you could end up with anyone.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Extra row of tits posted:

Is it possible while exercising to isolate a part of the trapezius muscle? Specifically the right side that sits on your scapula?

Not really but there's a lot going on that region so it might not be trapezius. Look at rotator cuff exercises to see if something does what you want.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Ironhead posted:

Based on personal experience, and having bailed out friends, this is how it's worked for me in Texas.

Get arrested (by city cop) end up at city jail, at the city police station.

I was released in the morning (after being arraigned by a judge via video chat, and this was pre-covid).

We were in a general holding area all together during the day. Then we were put in cells of 4 with 4 beds for the night. Back to general holding in the morning.

No one I was with had been convicted .

My buddy got arrested, same city, and eventually was transferred to county jail (which was literally like a mile away) and held for a few days even after we had gotten bail together. He was with people that had been convicted, and were either awaiting trial at the nearby court house, or were in a similar situation as him.

I think typically they would be in different wings or areas, but all the jails are overflowing for stupid poo poo, so who knows I guess you could end up with anyone.

Same for me when I got arrested and ended up in city jail, also in Texas, except there wasn't a central area we just sat in our cells and asked a cop for the library cart and ate bologna sandwiches.

I was only in city jail for a day, and it was due to unpaid speeding tickets and an absolute prick of an arresting officer.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
is there a website that like, lets you put in a video url for youtube and tells you what that video was, for videos that have been privated or taken down? sometimes I have a video in my watch queue and it's been privated or deleted and I'm curious as to what the hell it was. very likely no, but doesn't hurt to ask

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

is there a website that like, lets you put in a video url for youtube and tells you what that video was, for videos that have been privated or taken down? sometimes I have a video in my watch queue and it's been privated or deleted and I'm curious as to what the hell it was. very likely no, but doesn't hurt to ask

Internet Archive's Wayback Machine archives youtube videos: https://web.archive.org/web/20240408064017/https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lih_zHYqZ0I

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Will US politicians ever respond to mail from someone who isn't their constituent? I once saw someone write mail to every world leader to see if they'd get a response, so something smaller I'd like to try is sending something to each US governor. Nothing political, just a hello from New Jersey and some generic question or two.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
Depends on how bored their staff is, the representatives themselves don't generally read anything that doesn't come from someone with money or connections but their staff might respond.

two fish
Jun 14, 2023

Do you think I could pull off something like asking for their autograph? It would be cool to have a collection of those, like a snapshot of 2024 governors.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
i am a stupid rear end in a top hat who waits until the last day to do his taxes. normally this is not an issue as they're pretty simple, but it seems last year i didn't save my state form. this means i don't know what my AGI was, and i need that to verify my identity. i have my federal return and w-2. is there a way to figure out what my kansas AGI was for last year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

butt dickus posted:

i am a stupid rear end in a top hat who waits until the last day to do his taxes. normally this is not an issue as they're pretty simple, but it seems last year i didn't save my state form. this means i don't know what my AGI was, and i need that to verify my identity. i have my federal return and w-2. is there a way to figure out what my kansas AGI was for last year?

you might be able to look up last year's stuff via however you're filing, or it might be in your email as an attachment. Either the AGI itself or the stuff you used to find your AGI last year - w2, whatever. You could also try to call the state's tax office, but I don't know how well that would work.