Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Does anyone know where online to get a bicorne that isn't a "Napoleon" hat?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In English, why do we say eleven, twelve, thirteen, and fifteen instead of oneteen, twoteen, threeteen, and fiveteen? Four of the numbers 11-19 are one way and five are another. What causes this?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What's a good product to get the smell of cat urine out of a room? Wood floors, not carpet.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've had a broken CFL bulb on my floor in my unventilated bedroom like less than 3 feet from where I sleep for a good 5 weeks. Am I going to die?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I recently heard at the beginning of a song a sample of a man speaking this completely insane quote:

quote:

There were eyes gouged, there was beheading, there were guillotines, there was acid, they would be blown up, they would be burned alive, there would be an outpouring of blood....

That's all that's in the song. Does anyone know what that is from?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What goes into the pricing of new DVDs at a store?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Are there any good OTC medicines for nausea that I could find in a Rite Aid or similar regular pharmacy? I currently buy and consume a lot of Nauzene chewables, which are small miracles, but I need something better. I'm down to buy just about anything. Also, are there any commonsense cures for nausea that might help mitigate its effects?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Didn't IFC used to be an all-movie channel with no commercials, maybe in the early 2000's? Or am I thinking of another channel? I was on vacation watching it and very surprised at all the commercials and the fact that City Slickers was playing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What safeguards are in place to stop someone who is sending a letter from putting the address they want it to go to as the return address, then using insufficient postage or something else to get that letter to be "returned to sender"?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So my friends found a rock on a beach on Long Island. It was one big thing, rectangular and boxy, but shattered into a ton of tiny pieces when dropped on the street. What is this rock made of?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

So about that mysterious rock, I just told my friend it was probably anthracite coal and he seemed okay with that explanation. I've got one more picture that I didn't post if anyone wants to see it!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Is there any place in the US where it's always foggy/cloudy and never very cold? Like never under 50 degrees?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What's Vallejo, California like?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

How would I go about turning solid dum-dum lollipops into a liquid glaze that I could pour over meat? I don't even know where to start here.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm having a hard time understanding how exactly getting a phone plan without a contract works. It seems like all these pay as you go companies require you to use certain specific phones. Are there ones that don't?

For instance, if I buy a Nexus directly from Google, and I have it in hand, is there actually somewhere I can go to buy a plan for it? For some reason the impression I'm getting from the websites of these no-contract carriers is that you have to choose one of their phones then after that you choose a plan.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What year did major retailers like Best Buy start carrying only flat screen TVs?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Why are new typewriters still produced? Are there some places where they have to be used or something?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Is 5 weeks enough time to get a new US passport?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What kind of 4 year degree would someone get who was looking to get into HR? Internships? What's the career path?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

stubblyhead posted:

I think the most important ones really are sadism and a desire to make stupid rules that other people have to follow. cheerfullydrab, why on earth do you want to go into this field?
Forms are pretty cool.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

How many gallon jugs would 110,000,000 pounds of dirt fill?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Think of it as a loose, granular, nondescript, sterotypically tann-ish brown dirt. These plastic jugs would be filled by hand quickly, without any real attempts to compact the dirt. Perhaps by pouring the dirt into the jugs with a funnel.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

TheLastManStanding posted:

Literally the first google result of 'dirt density' has a list of different dirts and their densities. Could you really not figure that out on your own?
http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/dirt-mud-densities-d_1727.html
I hadn't thought the question through when I asked it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Is there a good Doom LP that starts at E1M1?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

If you were born on February 29, 1992, when were you legally able to drink in a bar or buy liquor in a store in the US? 2/28/13 or 3/1/13?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've got a mini fridge that hasn't been turned on in 8 or 9 years. Will it still work just fine?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

PRADA SLUT posted:

Possibly, but if it's been stored on its side it might take a day or so for it to start cooling again.

As long as it's not going to blow up or go on fire or release noxious fumes or just plain not work.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Is there a way to buy a prepaid cell phone that only accepts incoming calls? As in you can't use it to call or text anybody or use the internet but you can receive stuff?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

fishmech posted:

Phone carriers won't sell you that plan, but you could modify phone software on certain devices to prevent the device from making calls or successfully doing SMS (not having data is trivial of course).

If you just want to set something up where you can't initiate communication, it would probably be best to buy a modern one way alphanumeric pager.

Essentially, I am having an event, and want the people who can't come to the event to be able to call a number and have a phone ring at the event that the people who are attending can pick up. But that's all I want this public phone to be able to do, answer incoming calls from random people wondering how the event is going.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

What kind of phone is it? Here is what came up when I Googled "restrict outgoing calls." (It's for an Android).

I was just going to get a cheap prepaid phone to use one time for this one event. Looks like it was an interesting idea but kind of hard to execute.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What's the best website for custom trophies?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I've got a package of vacuum sealed British style back bacon. How long does it last in the fridge?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Okay so I've been in an environment where I didn't have to make decisions about light bulbs for the last 7 years. Now light bulbs have become complicated and unintelligible to me. What bulbs do I buy to get the warmest light? What bulbs get me closest to incandescents? I just want the warmest most buttery light best for somebody with the sensitivities

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I don't need dimmable I just want closest to incandescent and can't read the packaging. I'm such an old

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Thank you all for your illuminating advice!

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

What is the small fabric bit on the bottom of the Roku remote for? The purple thing that says Roku. Does it have a purpose??

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Is there an app that can turn a phone and bluetooth speaker combo into a PA system?

For instance, I could have a bluetooth speaker on the front porch and be sitting in my living room and somebody knocks on my front door, I take out my phone, open this hypothetical app, and yell "Who's there???" into it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Hey I just want to say I asked a question in this thread about light bulbs a few months ago and got some great answers. I didn't use the information until recently.

I purchased two 40w replacement bulbs with a color temperature of 2200 which I installed in the light fixtures to either side of my bathroom mirror.

Holy poo poo, guys, thank you. Every time I walk into the bathroom my eyes sing pellucid songs of joy and thanksgiving. Every time I walk out of the bathroom into the harsh illumination of the rest of the world my soul feels as if it is chewing a mouthful of the bitterest ashes. I have this thread to thank. I can't wait till I replace every bulb in my living space with something of a similar temperature.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

For some reason, a few months ago, Chrome on my phone started displaying the forums with teeny tiny text for some reason. Zooming in doesn't work, either in the Chrome settings or the phone settings. No matter what, the text stays small. This post is being typed in a huge zoomed in white box that has tiny little letters. What the heck do I do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

dirby posted:

I'm doubtful this would help since you say zooming in doesn't help, but my thought is to double-check that the "Desktop site" checkbox in settings isn't checked for the forums.

It wasn't that but thank you for an answer other than 'download the app'. Although I understand I should download the app. It seems to just be some more inscrutable Google fuckery. Just like you guys, embedded tweets aren't working now for some reason, on the forums and other websites. More of the same.