Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

TheAngryDrunk posted:

Does a higher elevation help with stargazing?

Or is it the case that given the distances involved, an extra 5,000 feet don't mean poo poo?

Being above light noise and pollution would mean better contrast and less atmospheric stuff I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Is the official MSN Windows Live Messenger client still a hunk of poo poo?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

thefoozl posted:

I have hedgehogs that keep coming and stealing my cats food. My wife doesn't particularly want them dead. So how should I best get rid of them without spending any money?

My best idea so far is to pick them up with some large tongs and put them in a bucket, then dump them elsewhere.

Put the cat bowl on a chair?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Cheekio posted:

I need a nice visualization program that runs on win7 and xp, that doesn't have anything to do with music. I basically have three computers in my same room and I want them all to be swirling colorful awesomeness but have the sound coming from a DJ in the other room, so a standard milk-drop plugin for winamp or something isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Is there anything like this out there? All the visualization software I know is tied to music.

A screensaver?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

I need the title of a British comedy series shot within the last ten years or so. It featured a guy in a wheelchair who didn't actually had an disability and a sensible guy who was carrying him around. Googling "british wheelchair comedy" does not bring up anything useful and I don't think it has been listed here: http://www.comedy.co.uk/guide/top/

Appreciate the help.

Andy and Lou, Little Britain.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkTOW7XaN7I

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Pizer posted:

Wa -> Weezie
Br -> Breezie
Ky -> Kyeezie

Covergirl.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

WHEEZY MISS A DUDE posted:

The pharma thing is more along the lines of what I'm thinking of than the Law of the Instrument.

I guess what I'm looking for would be a company developing a product that doesn't do anything particularly groundbreaking or revolutionary but does actually serve a purpose. However, in order to make the product seem revolutionary, the company relies on advertising to make the problem their product solves a bigger problem than it actually is, thereby making their product seem like a revolutionary solution.

Listerine and halitosis?
Listerine was orignally a medical grade steriliser, then a floor cleaner, a cure for gonorrhea, then mouthwash with no major changes to the formula.
In order to sell more, they basically made up the idea of halitosis to push it.

No idea of a blanket term, but its an example that may make it easier to search for what you need.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

IIRC, sometimes corpses get an erection after death.
WP: Death erection refers specifically to hanged men, but a head shot may cause similar cranial pressures.
It's not necessarily that she couldn't have, but you'd think she would have asked for the room first.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

Wouldn't all the blood loss and opened circulatory system cause BP everywhere to plummet?

I'd expect so. Just saying that it is a thing and is not outside the realm of possibility.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

TetsuoTW posted:

People will totally drink meths. Usually filtered through bread and mixed with OJ, at least back in NZ. loving retards, all of them. Usually the same dumbshits that would huff fly spray.

As for the US term, after asking an American colleague who spent several years in the UK, he said he'd go with "denatured alcohol" to get the same stuff at a hardware store.

Is there an emote of a crying Kiwi? Pretend I put that here.
Meths is sold at a lot of convenience stores, but the few times I've tried to buy it there for cleaning paint and glue off poo poo, they've refused to sell it to me on grounds that I was gonna drink it.
Bear in mind this is the same store that, when I requested a plastic bag for the 3 bottles of coke I just bought, enquired if I would be using it to sniff glue from.

The only thing I've seen it used for is a solvent based cleaner, sanding wood and burning. It's pretty harsh and I wouldn't use it the same way I would rubbing alcohol, let alone drink the poo poo.
Do you want it for something, or just being curious?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Does ADSL use all the wires in a phone line, or only some of them?
I have ADSL working fine but my phone doesn't - is it possible this is due to a damaged line on my property, or can I assume that since the internet works all my wires are in adequate condition?

e: I ask because I've been on hold for half an hour with the phone company on my mobile, so don't suggest I just call them.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Feb 3, 2011

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Mak0rz posted:

From what I understand it uses part of the phone line that the telephone doesn't.

I thought it uses different frequencies though, not seperate wires. Since it's connected into the same socket with a microfilter I'd have thought they would be using the same actual wires within the greater cable.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

SynthesizerKaiser posted:

Bonus question: Is there software I can use to do some sort of accounting for where all my harddrive space is being taken up? Like I know my music folder is 60gb, World of Warcraft took like 23gb, but is there a program that could generate a list for me?

Spacemonger is a more visual version, it's pretty handy.
http://www.sixty-five.cc/sm/v1x.php

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Droid Washington posted:

The day came and I completely forgot about the appointment. It was to be at 2 o'clock, and I got a call from them at 2:15. I immediately called them back and apologized refusely, told them I could come down there and at least get some time in, or just reschedule. The lady over the phone was very rude to me and chewed me out for not being there.

A bit late, and from an entirely different country, but did the woman tell you not to come in at all? If so, couldn't that be construed as refusal of service?
In New Zealand, if you cancel a booking you can only be charged a late fee if it monetarily disadvantages the business ie they aren't able to fill your spot. Since you offered to come in and were rebuffed, I'd be arguing that they chose to leave the spot empty themselves, and shouldn't be entitled to a penalty payment.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Mr.Hotkeys posted:

we've got tons of orange plastic bowels

Is that an expensive surgery?

gently caress new page, content...

You know those removeable door pull up bar whatsits? Do they do any long term damage to door frames? I'm renting, and I know they have padded ends but I don't want nice round pressure dents in the panelling when it comes to my post tenancy inspection.

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 19, 2011

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

If they were talking about following Obama, surely they would have said either the dude was drinking it, or that Obama "was mixing the sachet of Kool-Aid in 2 pints of water"?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

illcendiary posted:

I'm trying to think of a word for a street along a beach, can anyone think of it?

Esplanade?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I want something that will control a power socket by remote control. What the hell do I search for on google, nothing I've tried is bringing up what I want.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Probably should have mentioned, I'm in New Zealand, so your surprised looking power sockets will not work.
Thanks though, have some more search terms to play with.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

madprocess posted:

Generally you want something with the X10 protocol if you'r elooking at this use, read up on it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X10_%28industry_standard%29 if you want. I'm not sure if they make them in NZ and they're kinda old in the US but you basically get modules that you plug lamps and appliances into and then a control thing can plug into another outlet anywhere in the house for controlling the rest. Many of the base stations will have IR or RF remotes to control them with too.

I guess it's a bit beyond what you want, but this system can allow you to control dozens of outlets throughout your home by remote and all that.

Yeah I only want something so I can turn an external HDD on and off with my universal remote when I want to watch stuff.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Coda?

e: wait no, ignore me.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Sizzlechest posted:

Buster Brown? Thom McAn? Chuck Taylor? (70s)

Jack Purcell?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

This modem/router, or this one?

e: fixed links

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 26, 2011

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I basically need to charge my phone (via USB) every day, but I use my laptop on the couch. Is there a cradle or something I can put the phone in that will hang on the back of the LCD panel so I don't sit on the drat thing?

e: I know there is this but a) it's dog ugly and b) sitck out and is likely to get knocked off.

Alternatively, where can I go to find out about fabricating something from silicon to do the job?

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 08:52 on May 25, 2011

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

isoprenaline posted:

What is a " small l liberaterian"?

I can't find a definition that makes any sense.

With practically no understanding of any political spectrum, it is quite possibly shorthand for "I agree with many of their ideas, but don't lump me in with those crazy freaks the big L Libertarians."

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Is there something that can be used to download whole threads for offline reading?
I recall seeing something ages ago, but have no idea how to find it now.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I was looking at a new router a while ago, but never pulled the trigger.
I recall that one particular brand had issues with Macs (which my partner uses) but cannot find anything about it now - can any one confirm? I think it MAY have been D-Link?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Pogo the Clown posted:

It is a type of whisk.

Coil whisk or spring whisk are a possibility as well.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Dudebro posted:

Will it melt my skin off like in that movie?

Indiana Jones?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

buzz wing wow posted:

I need ideas for a dress up party - the theme is Fire and Ice. Some obvious ideas are bunnies, Eskimos and devils, but I would like to go as something not as obvious. I was thinking of going as a shower, but I blurted it out at a different party, so now everyone knows that was my idea. Any held is greatly appreciated!

Go as Tyrion from Game of Thrones. Amputation may be required.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Oh god, bear with me.
I want to make View-Master reels. While I need to learn all the gently caress about stereoscopic photography, at this stage I'm more concerned with getting from a digital file to a useable tranparency.

1) Is it possible to get digital photos converted to slide format but not cut/mounted individually, so you are left with a long strip of whatever you call a photographic negative when it's in proper colour?

2) Assuming 1 and knowing that the height of a View-Master reel window is 10.5mm, I should be able to (via photoshop) join two images together so the final size of each is 10.5mm x 15mm and still have it fit with the 36x24mm "exposure" on the printed film, right?

3) Does anyone know anything about DIY View-Master poo poo that doesn't involve the black box of sending away jpgs and getting the final product back hundreds of dollars later, or trawling eBay for 1950's tech?

Crossposted in Stupid/Small questions in A/T and General Photography Questions in the Dorkroom.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Anyone know how to save the pronunciation mp3's from Google search results?
I can't find it in Chrome's cache anywhere, and it calls the file by using a javascript function.

E: nevermind, got it!

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Mar 3, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Broadfall trousers are part of often "plain dress" - why? What is so fancy about a button fly?

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

I have 100gb. If I don't torrent anything, it is more than enough for 3 people who could be considered "heavy users".

If I do torrent, it is insufficient.

I think this is what Golbez meant - if you aren't torrenting, you should be fine.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

FCKGW posted:

My wife lives in California and got a Jury Duty summons. We have a 1-year old at home and she's the primary caretaker, we don't have daycare or anything.

She sent in the form asking to be excused because of this and was denied. What recourse do we have?

Take the letters and go and talk to a person? She may also qualify for a postponement, which the court may feel will give her time to make alternative arrangements.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Liebfraumilch posted:

What's a good--or better, official--term for someone who is book/self-educated on a lot of subjects and therefore is sporadically incapable of properly pronouncing odd things (like foreign ministers, cities, etc) aloud?

I figure the least I can do when I apologize for being one is be concise. :(

Barbarism?

e: Refers specifically to the mispronunciation. A barbarian philomath?

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Oct 2, 2012

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Liebfraumilch posted:

In even my salad days someone made a joke about my condition (in regards to himself, as well) and I was so sure it had biblio- in the term that I was half hoping for confirmation here. But, as you see, even my reading/writing/listening comprehension is shameful. I must have fibbed my way through college with interpretive dance or something. Ugh.

If it makes you feel any better, and it probably won't, I dropped out of college. Twice.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Golbez posted:

Let's say I was on contract with a company through a headhunter making $x a week. When pulled on full time, should I expect more or less? I could picture more, because while I'm getting $x, that must mean the headhunter is being paid even more than that, so I would be getting that money then. On the other hand, I could picture less; job security is its own premium, as well as having health insurance.

Basically I'm wondering, did I get hosed when I went from a $x/week contract job to a $.75x/week steady job.

Surely that would depend on exactly how much you were getting before, and the net value of your benefits?

If you were headhunted as a temp, the placement agency generally receives a not-insignificant payout from the company that hires you full time, so I would expect if they value you enough to pay that and take you on permanently they probably value you enough to pay you a decent wage at least in line with what they were paying the headhunter.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Lost Covenant posted:

This is all going down in New Zealand, so anything specific to the States won't be helpful, unfortunately. Thanks.

I have no clue, but please post details of this once formalised in the NZ Goonmeet/gen discussion thread cause it sounds cool

e: serious response: give each team a twitter and a hashtag and make them update every 20m?

Big Bad Beetleborg fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Is there a way to tell if a book is hardcover, trade paperback or mass-market paper back from the ISBN? I'm looking at ordering some stuff from bookdepository and want to ensure they're all the same size.