Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MyronMulch posted:

This goes doubly so for any sort of email or chat in a work situation!

When you're writing an email with any sort of controversy in it or that could get you in trouble or is going to people way over your head, don't address it until you're done. Re-read, edit, take a break to think about it, re-read it again, and only when you're sure you're sending it, add the addresses. This saves you from accidentally sending something important before you're absolutely sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

At some point you should ask yourself if you'd be done already if you'd just buckled down and done everything by hand.

Counterpoint, every opportunity to automate should be taken as a learning experience.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

automate everything, but never tell your boss you automated it
that's your precious Forums Posting time

This guy IS union.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

While we're on old games, I've been thinking about an old space game I used to play on a buddy's Macintosh Plus. It was two-dimensional, and black&white. Your spaceship would fly around the field avoiding different types of enemies and collecting crystals, and when you collected all of them a 'gate' would open at one end of the map that you'd travel through to proceed to the next level. I might be conflating another game, but I seem to remember the different enemies had names, and one type was called a 'Husket'.

That's too early for Maelstrom, but I just wanted to mention Maelstrom because it was the best Asteroids clone on any platform.

e. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWGI-MHSpH8

mllaneza fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Dec 28, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Yeah a fine mesh splatter screen really helps.

Mom gave me one of these for Christmas, saves a ton of cleanup. Get one of those and no more splatter. They're cheap too, about :10bux:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

We had one group at work do a bulk purchase of new laptop bags. Each and every one of them had the little bag of desiccant pellets broke and spilled all over. Each and every one of them ended up putting in a ticket because their headphones stopped working. Luckily, the pellets could be chipped to pieces with a pair of tweezers so it's an easy fix.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I try the current password, and if it doesn't work then I reset it. :shrug:

Protip: if you have to reset a forgotten password, reset it to what you thought it was. That's already in your memory.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Slimy Hog posted:

People are just dumb

FACT

I picked it up in high school in Berkeley, CA. My German teacher pointed out that it's the English language's only second-person plural pronoun. But soooooome people think you're calling them a redneck or a dumb hick if you use it in their general direction. gently caress 'em, y'all, gently caress 'em.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

1) Is there a good play to read about all the hubbub with Wizards of the Coast and the latest stupid thing they were trying to do? It sounded like they were trying to muscle out small independent gaming shops or other similar dickery, but I haven't been able to find a solid source.

2) I have seen 2 kinds of 3D printing. The one I'm most familiar with involves plastic filament, which is dispersed from a nozzle, layer by layer, until the design is completed. The second one I've seen involves a puddle of liquid plastic, and the base is dipped into the liquid, and somehow layer by layer the 3D form takes shape. How does the second method work?

1) The Trad Games Industry thread is all over that lately, https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301

2) The resin, or "puddle of liquid plastic" is cured by ultraviolet light. Below the vat with the puddle in it, is an LED producing ultraviolet light. That turns on for a bit in a pattern that corresponds to the "slice" of the model that it's working on currently, then the print plate lifts up, then lowers back down for the next exposure. Each exposure adds a thin new layer of hardened resin on the print plate. The files the 3d printer actually prints are calculated from the 3d file with the actual geometry of the model you're printing. Each slice is a literal slice horizontally through the 3d model. That's why the programs that turn a .STL format 3d model into a printer-ready file are called slicers. They also include metadata like exposure time, lifting speed, and all sorts of other fiddly stuff, but the slice of the model is the important bit.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tesseraction posted:

When I needed to remotely connect to my home PC from work, I bought a VNC licence - I believe RealVNC's VNC Connect even prevents you needing to the diddle around with dynamic DNS like I had to for my one https://www.realvnc.com/en/connect/

RealVNC is a great piece of software. They put real working into improving on the open source clients and servers; better encryption and most importantly it's much, much faster. If you do anything with VNC, check out their free (beer) Viewer app.

Source: we have 200 licenses for lab use.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

tuyop posted:

That would be great but I'm on iOS :(

If you sign in in Safari (and enable notifications for it), do you get notifications ?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I did my research and decided that a DreamCloud premier would be better for a heavy guy who is a side sleeper. You'll spend less on the Ikea options, but reviews said I'd hate it. It wasn't cheap, but it's extremely comfortable and the sheets and pillows it came with are very nice. They run a ton of sales, don't pay more than 25% off their MSP, and watch an unboxing video so you're prepared to break it out of its packaging after delivery.

https://www.dreamcloudsleep.com/premier-mattress

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Laser printers are a lot more reliable than inkjets, at least. There's no nozzles to clog, and toner is always solid at room temperature anyway.

And then there's the opposite extreme from lasers, the solid ink printer that Xerox inflicted on us. These use big blocks of a crayon-like material. They melt a little bit, which drips into the open-topped print head which then squirts it onto the paper like an inkjet. Open topped, so if you bump the printer while it is, or just was, working will spill some of the ink which will cool, harden and start jamming the mechanism.

The print head is tilted into position by a motor in the front right corner of the printer. It drives a cam shaft that engages a gear on the left side of the printer, this gear is on a post in the frame which will sometimes break off. This engages a gear train heading back in the printer that turns the gear that actually moves the print head into position. The cam shaft originally had two cams, they upgraded to three in the next iteration of the printer, because the cams would come adrift trying to move something too heavy for them. That new printer had a firmware bug that would sometimes put 50 volts on a 3.3v lead and burn out the motor that moves the paper around. The gear train and the head tilt gear would also break on the reg.

I had to repair these mechanical abominations for four years.

Oh yes, the blocks of ink were region locked, and if your printer misread its region it took three or four days for Xerox to send a code to reset it. Just bullshit all around.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I believe the appropriate term here is "obscenely rich".

Guillotine bait.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

El Jeffe posted:

There are amateur-made reddit bots that can read text from images, I'm pretty sure Google can too.

Google also has access to the closed captioning text, if it exists.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

My question is, (before involving a lawyer) what is my best course of action? Try and speak to a human in the billing department and explain my side of things? I'd prefer to not get a lawyer involved as it probably is not worth whatever the lawyer would charge to deal with $1400 of bills or less.

Yes, go after talking to a human as your first step. Also, check the fine print on the bill and see if there's anything about contesting it. They may have a time span after which you are presumed to have acknowledged the validity of charges, which will make a huge difference if it ends up going to collections. If they say to send a letter, put a stamp on an envelope and send it in right away, preferably certified. This is also why it's really hard to get a human being in billing on the phone.

I got lucky with Kaiser (North CA) and had an easy sleep test, it's just the fingertip monitor overnight and then if you show sleep apnea symptoms, a week or two with a loaner CPAP machine.

For people who aren't the OP, if you
Snore heavily
Are super tired and falling asleep during the day
Stop breathing and need to be woken up during the night

Get
Tested
For
Sleep
Apnea
Immediately

It probably won't kill you (but it could) and getting good sleep again will change your life.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Khizan posted:

IIRC their major advantages of tape are longevity and cost. As long as the tapes are stored properly they'll retain data integrity for a long time, and backing things up on tape is a lot cheaper than storing it on drives.

We have regulatory requirements for data retention that can go up to 25 years. I occasionally have to remind people that we're a regulated 24/7 manufacturing company, so this is at the core of one of my recurring nightmares.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

CzarChasm posted:

Failing that though, have you tried putting a sign on it that says "FREE" and setting it on the curb? A piece of paper with FREE on it will get it out of your hair in no time flat. If the crack is obvious probably no need to add that to the note, but if it is small or subtle, maybe add that to the note.

If it lasts for two nights with a FREE sign, take it back in for a week, then put it back with a sign that says "$50" and a fake phone number.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tree Bucket posted:

Is there some way of instantly generating a printable grid of a big pile of photos??? Help

You want to look into tools to make a contact sheet. Those are identically sized photos in a grid. I don't know what the current options are, but I do remember what they're called!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

So, like hot-knifing hash?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

zachol posted:

Probably within a year or two we'll get to the point where things people actually say will get commonly dismissed as fake news AI-generated audio and video.

That's been happening for about four years now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I went that way for my new coffee maker. Coffee stays hot for hours, and I never have to worry if I left the pot on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Tad Naff posted:

I still wonder about the first human's thought process leading them to decide to try an oyster. Or some of the grosser Scandinavian delicacies around fermented sea life.

I can't explain the Scandinavian stuff, no one can, but animals eat shellfish so someone watched an otter chowing down on a bunch of oysters and decided to get in on it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

I had the geometrical distortion with my first prescription. I went back and got another test, and the glasses from that prescription are fine. I did lose the astigmatism correction, but it was worth it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

BonHair posted:

How is 24 hours obvious? It seems pretty arbitrary to me.

Twenty-four has a large number of factors, so it's easy to divide up. Same thing for 360 degrees in a circle.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Powered Descent posted:

Still, I think I'll go back to the optometrist and see if she has any ideas. I just feel like something's got to be wrong when I constantly find myself taking off my new glasses so I can see better.

Get a new prescription.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Try comparing your Google results with the same search in an Incognito window. Your history might be toxic now.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

OP's metabolism has probably changed a bit. Experiment with diet and exercise until it settles down.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Miles Blundell posted:

A cursory google once told me that this is also part of why bluetooth kinda sucks and fails a lot, because the bluetooth band is so small it gets interfered with easily.

Myself and one of the people I could escalate really hairy desktop support tickets to go one of these. It turns out that one of the relatively common forms of BT interference comes from... USB3 devices. We spent weeks trying to help this poor woman. We reimaged her laptop. We swapped her laptop. We swapped her peripherals. It came down to "cope, or get a new keyboard and mouse".

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

two fish posted:

The New Jersey thread seems dead, unfortunately!

:justpost:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I have now had to use the Heimlich maneuver on my mom three times. My dad is recovering from cancer and has lost most of his strength. I am really worried that the next time it happens I may not be there and he may not be able to save her.

Teach her to self-Heimlich. I have done this myself after accidentally inhaling the last piece of hard candy I'll ever eat.

Short version is, you ball up your fists, put them under your diaphragm, and fall on something where it'll drive your fist into your diaphragm (and not just break your ribs). Do a little research, find a video, and teach her right.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mano posted:

Sameish for boats btw since you have waves and currents which means speed and speed over ground is different

This is where the term "leeway" comes from. Lee means downwind. Ships recovering boats make an effort to get upwind of them, to put them in the lee of the ship. Since a ship's best speed isn't with the wind directly aft, there's almost always a component of the wind perpendicular to the direction of travel (trigonometry!). So, if you point your bow at your destination, you'll be pushed to one side by the wind. That's leeway, the amount of wind-induced drift off course.

A lee shore is a coastline that the wind where you are is blowing towards. This means you hosed up and you should get out of there as best you can. Sail around the land feature, tack upwind, drop all your anchors, anything.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

ultrafilter posted:

They didn't do it last time and the oldest Mickey Mouse cartoons are entering the public domain next year.

The trademarks will still be enough to destroy anyone trying to make a quick buck.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

That's when they don't notice until they've hit Post on the quote post and it's too late for anything except trying to be funny about it.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there any practical limitation to the length of a USB cable? Are cable extenders going to induce problems or latency or anything if the device is streaming audio/MIDI data to/from a computer? I'm thinking about moving some of my gear to my other desk but still accessing it from my Mac.

15 meters or about 49 feet for USB3. USB C is more like 10 feet.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Grassy Knowles posted:

Yes incredibly normal I’ve run onboardings for a large company and the real outliers can take weeks to get set up. HR systems are absolutely garbage and usually involve kludging tech from multiple vendors together.

It took us onboarding a new VP of HR who couldn't log in to her laptop for a week for serious attention to be paid to all the integration issues we had.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Pretty much this. I like to always have something on, so I'm not taxing myself by creating the noise in my own head, music fills in what I need just fine.

Beautiful, shining souls, immortal and perfect... trapped in meat that was produced by a Monte Carlo algorithm running for 4 billion years.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

A Collection of Unmitigated Pedantry is generally good, but to my knowledge is text-only. I guess you could slap a text-to-speech on the (extremely long) posts and listen to them that way?

Drachinifel runs a YouTube channel specifically about naval combat, which is generally considered to be done well.

Coincidentally, Drach had the Unmitigated Pedantry guy on for a long interview (about 1:15) about naval matters in the First Punic War just yesterday. Good stuff.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

erosion posted:

I am going to be working on arcade machines, including repairing CRTs. Does anyone know of a crash course on this stuff? TIA

I can't vouch for any of them, but searching "repairing vintage arcade machines" on YouTube got a lot of long videos on fixing stuff going back to the early 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Silver Falcon posted:

Hmm. This is a good idea! I can try this. How long do you reckon I should boil it?

Until it starts to thicken up.