Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

A while ago, Youtube changed its subscriptions sidebar so that the creators are ordered by latest upload instead of alphabetically. Is there a way to change this. Makes it difficult to find a channel I want to check at any given time because they are constantly moving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

BonHair posted:

Can someone who's not an audiophile please confirm that I will not destroy my sound by shortening my amp to speaker cables in my stereo to different lengths? I'm pretty sure it's frowned upon, but also pretty sure it doesn't matter at all.

The actual, practical, reason for speaker cables being the same length is that when moving or setting it up for the first time you don't have to worry about which cable to connect to which terminals.

The whole delay thing has been covered, but it's more likely that a measurable effect would come from different voltage/power losses in the different cable lengths. Doing the math:

Let's say 16AWG speaker wire (common speaker wire is between 14 and 18). I think most stereo speakers are 8ohm so at 100w/channel we're looking at about 12-20V AC, so that's 2-3A current. According to this calculator https://www.southwire.com/calculator-vdrop 20 feet loses 0.71% and 10 feet loses 0.36% so net difference is 0.35%. According to this guy https://geoffthegreygeek.com/calculator-amp-speaker-spl/ to get a 1db SPL difference at 10 feet you need to drop amp power by 5/165W (> 1%), and the difference in SPL by moving one foot closer to a speaker is also about 1db, so unless you only listen to music at the exact same distance from the speakers in a perfectly symmetrical room, you'll never notice.

If you do only listen to music at the exact same difference from the speakers in a perfectly symmetrical room, I have some laser-cut oxygen-free copper sumatran mahogany wire stands at the low price of $140 each or $1822 for a hand-matched set of 10 that will strengthen and warm the sound coming from your speakers - DM for details.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I mean, there are gadgets for boosting the audio signal over long runs of wire but I don't think they are necessary outside of edge cases for live venues and concerts.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Question about search engine (Google in this case) behavior.

I went to look for this tweet:
https://twitter.com/robwhisman/status/735281634656669696

My search query was "rob whisman uber driver" and it was the first result. The phrase "uber driver" doesn't appear in the text and the image doesn't have alt text. How did Google know I was looking for that tweet?

Is it parsing text from the image? Is it using behavior from other searchers who stop clicking results once they find this tweet, thus concluding that it's the one people are likely looking for when they search that query? Is it using past behavior from me (I believe I searched for it before)?

The second result I get from the search query is a Know Your Meme Page about it that contains the phrase, namedrops the author, and links to the tweet in a footnote. Is it using data skimmed from that that to optimize the results and push the original post to the top?

Or is it some complex weighted combination of all of these things and more? Probably.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Mak0rz posted:

The second result I get from the search query is a Know Your Meme Page about it that contains the phrase, namedrops the author, and links to the tweet in a footnote. Is it using data skimmed from that that to optimize the results and push the original post to the top?

This was the original trillion dollar idea behind Google, called “BackRub” so yes.

Pages that link to a page can tell you more about that page than the content of the page itself.

Mak0rz posted:

Or is it some complex weighted combination of all of these things and more? Probably.

But also this.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Platystemon posted:

This was the original trillion dollar idea behind Google, called “BackRub” so yes.

Didn't know this! Thanks!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Harvesting info from the way people link to something has occasionally been used to poison search results for humorous intent -- see "Google bombing". The most famous googlebomb is when it became a popular joke to link to a bio of George W. Bush with the phrase "miserable failure", thus causing that bio to become the first result for searches of that phrase.

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

There are amateur-made reddit bots that can read text from images, I'm pretty sure Google can too.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Mister Speaker posted:

Are GlassDoor reviews completely anonymous? Let's say someone wanted to write a review warning people about an employer, is there any way that employer could track them down? Should that person go so far as to register a burner email for the GD review, use a VPN or do the whole thing on a public computer?

Or should I "calm down, you're not stealing the NOC List."

If you are in the United States and have genuine issues about a workplace environment that you're still employed by, contact your state's department of labor with the very same issues that you want to vent on Glassdoor

You're not directly protected by the NLRB if you scream into a void at people who aren't your immediate co-workers, but if you inform an actual regulatory body, they cannot do anything without running into retaliatory firing issues (they can't prove how they found out about it without admitting that they were subverting Glassdoor's stated anonymity policy in some way)

This all goes out the window in pretty much every state except Montana, because they'll just exercise at-will employment and fire you for "no reason" to dodge all the legal stuff

I mean, how bad is this place that you feel the need to warn others off? If you're still there, I'd pour that energy into finding another job, and if you're not there anymore, post whatever the hell you want, they can't do a single thing to you

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Mister Speaker posted:

Are GlassDoor reviews completely anonymous?

Inceltown posted:

I'd probably use a burner and vpn because you should do that anyway if you don't want your name attached to stuff

postmodifier posted:

I mean, how bad is this place that you feel the need to warn others off? If you're still there, I'd pour that energy into finding another job, and if you're not there anymore, post whatever the hell you want, they can't do a single thing to you

this last post is correct but also this is a case where it's a good idea to do a tiny bit of your own research before even asking the question. and by "tiny bit of research" i mean you can just click the "leave a review" button on glassdoor and take a look at what they are asking for and what is shown on reviews, which does not even include a field for a name or email address.

it is completely anonymous (unless you write something that gives away who you are, which is up to you) and while i'm sure they could, in theory, turn over the ip addresses of reviews to various employers, that would undermine the whole purpose of the site and someone would've likely outed the practice amid a large scandal years ago.

if you are worried about being tracked down for some reason, just be vague. like, no one is going to figure out who you are if you just say "management is abusive and incompetent" or whatever as a generality. just don't describe any specific situations.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Mar 29, 2023

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Earwicker posted:

it is completely anonymous (unless you write something that gives away who you are, which is up to you) and while i'm sure they could, in theory, turn over the ip addresses of reviews to various employers, that would undermine the whole purpose of the site and someone would've likely outed the practice amid a large scandal years ago.

From Glassdoor itself:

quote:

Glassdoor is committed to providing a constructive platform for people to share their opinions about their jobs and companies anonymously - without fear of retaliation and intimidation.

So, if someone asks us to tell them who wrote a review, we say no.

And if someone takes legal action to try and find out who wrote a review, we fight for that user's First Amendment right to post opinions anonymously. We explain more about that process in our How does Glassdoor respond to legal requests article. So far, courts have almost always ruled in favor of Glassdoor and its users when we've fought to protect anonymity.

Emphasis mine, but again a lot of this comes down to if you're still working there and why?

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

DildenAnders posted:

Is there anyway to disable YouTube shorts from showing up on the YouTube app for Android? I watch a lot of Youtube but lately the shorts have been absolutely decimating my attention span, and I really want them to be gone from the app but I can't find a way to disable them. Google is telling me there once was an app called YouTube Vanced but it sounds very risky/possibly obsolete due to being unsupported.

There is Revanced which positions itself as a successor, and is actively maintained:

https://revanced.io/

I don't make any claims that it'll not steal your data or even work at all, but it seems pretty well regarded.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
When selecting a drywall anchor, how do I ensure the 1/8" screws for my project will be the correct diameter for screwing into the anchor? For the ones that include screws, it seems like they only give you the diameter of the anchor itself, so I can't be sure if the included screws will even fit through the bracket holes.

Normally I'd just go to the hardware store and eyeball it but I'm buying them online for now.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is there a thread of graph theory nerds? I have a question, which I'll repost here (originally posted in the Game Development Megathread):

If you work through an Advent of Code or two you'll be forced to learn and apply a truckload of graph theory and possibly enough to solve your problem.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

What are these pods I keep finding all around the neighborhood?

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
It reminds me of a squeaker that's been pulled out of a dog toy. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toy-Pet-Dog-Squeakers-Replacement-100-Pack/188078086 Has the side of it been chewed on?

Is there a way to change the spacing on the X axis in excel?

The first data point is at 8:56, and the second data point is at 12:55. The horizontal distance between them is indicated with a green bar above. On data point 7 the time is 4:12pm. On data point 8 the time is 4:15pm. The horizontal distance between them is indicated with a green bar above. The bar is copy/pasted from the green bar above data points 1 and 2. The horizontal distance between them is the same. But one interval is 4 hours and the other is 3 minutes. Is there a way to adjust the graph so distance between the points is determined by the X axis value instead of the X axis point label?

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

You want to change the type of graph from line to a scatter plot.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
Thank you!

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

DreadLlama posted:

It reminds me of a squeaker that's been pulled out of a dog toy. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Toy-Pet-Dog-Squeakers-Replacement-100-Pack/188078086 Has the side of it been chewed on?

There are a ton of these lying around and some of them appear to have a colored liquid inside, leading me to think some kind of beverage pod or something, but nothing I can Google turns up anything similar.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
What's the best way to crack my back?

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Isn't the general wisdom on that 'don't let your friend or a chiropractor do that to your back because it causes strokes'?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Leave posted:

Yoga.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Leave posted:

Why do you want to?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Leave posted:

Fall from a very high altitude?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Leave posted:

If I need to release tension in the top of my back, I can usually get some cracking if I spread my feet apart and stretch down to touch the ground. Some gentle stretching and some just hanging there and deep breaths.

For my lower back, I'll lie on the ground and keep my shoulders down while I try to put my left knee on the ground over my right leg, and then the right knee over the other leg. Deep breaths again with a little more extension on the exhale and usually something will pop for me. Sometimes I'll get the same effect in a sturdy chair by grabbing the frame and twisting around while keeping my legs straight.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Nighthand posted:

There are a ton of these lying around and some of them appear to have a colored liquid inside, leading me to think some kind of beverage pod or something, but nothing I can Google turns up anything similar.

Oh man, I can’t remember what the product is called but there are/were these little juice bulbs in the 90s that looked just like that. They had a waxy plastic that you could tear off with your teeth and drink the juice inside. Some people liked them frozen.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

tuyop posted:

Oh man, I can’t remember what the product is called but there are/were these little juice bulbs in the 90s that looked just like that. They had a waxy plastic that you could tear off with your teeth and drink the juice inside. Some people liked them frozen.

Kool-Aid Bursts?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

Kool-Aid Bursts?

I believe that’s a good candidate for the op’s but these particular ones I’m recalling weren’t a recognizable North American brand. I’ve seen them in Latin America too, with a similar logo/mascot but different names.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

tuyop posted:

Thinking about these?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nik-L-Nip

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Yup! Good find

Gin
Aug 29, 2004
and Tonic

tuyop posted:

Yup! Good find

Nickle-nips was my nickname in high school. I don't want to talk about it

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Tiggum posted:

Why do you want to?

Just stiff and poo poo; the heating pad wasn't being as effective as usual. I really just want to be cracked like a glowstick, feeling like Mr. Incredible when he pulled his back

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to try some of those stretches and see if they help.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

El Jeffe posted:

There are amateur-made reddit bots that can read text from images, I'm pretty sure Google can too.

Google also has access to the closed captioning text, if it exists.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Medical Billing question

Last month I went in to a Sleep Center and got a take home kit. I hooked up all the wires and tubes and went to sleep. First thing in the morning I wake up, package everything, fill out the paperwork, drive back across town and drop off the equipment. Halfway through my day I get a call back from them saying "something" went wrong with the equipment, and the test would have to be done again. OK, fine, poo poo happens. Repeat all the steps from yesterday, hook stuff up, sleep, wake up, drop off. Get another call. Something something, there's no data on the device again, come back and do it again. Fine, but at this point I'm annoyed. 6 trips across town, having to take time off of work, and they keep indicating it's their equipment. Repeat for a third time, and again, I get a call saying that the device didn't register anything. The nurse says, can we schedule you again. At this point I was done so I say No, and that at this point I am refusing treatment from their facility.

Roughly a month passes, I've calmed down, and they call me back to do another at home test. Fine, I'll give it a shot. Get the equipment, wear it, return it and lo and behold, everything works fine. I have test results, whoopie.

Today, I get a billing notice. They charged me $800 (before insurance) for sleep study data back in February on tests that were never run, where I was told no sleep data could be collected, & where I refused treatment. I also see that pending is a bill for over $1000 for the sleep study that happened at the beginning of March. What the gently caress?

It doesn't seem fair to me that I can be charged for tests that on paper had zero results and no data. And, by that logic, if the first test in February was successful, then why did I need the same test performed a month later?

My question is, (before involving a lawyer) what is my best course of action? Try and speak to a human in the billing department and explain my side of things? I'd prefer to not get a lawyer involved as it probably is not worth whatever the lawyer would charge to deal with $1400 of bills or less.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Gin posted:

Nickle-nips was my nickname in high school. I don't want to talk about it

I worked with a guy who everyone called 'Din Din', a nickname which stuck because his nipples were "the size of dinner plates."

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

tuyop posted:

I believe that’s a good candidate for the op’s but these particular ones I’m recalling weren’t a recognizable North American brand. I’ve seen them in Latin America too, with a similar logo/mascot but different names.

This makes me realize the lack of scale in my picture, the things are like slightly larger than a golf ball, which is why I'm curious, it seems too small for a lot of little snack purposes.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

CzarChasm posted:

My question is, (before involving a lawyer) what is my best course of action? Try and speak to a human in the billing department and explain my side of things? I'd prefer to not get a lawyer involved as it probably is not worth whatever the lawyer would charge to deal with $1400 of bills or less.

Yes, go after talking to a human as your first step. Also, check the fine print on the bill and see if there's anything about contesting it. They may have a time span after which you are presumed to have acknowledged the validity of charges, which will make a huge difference if it ends up going to collections. If they say to send a letter, put a stamp on an envelope and send it in right away, preferably certified. This is also why it's really hard to get a human being in billing on the phone.

I got lucky with Kaiser (North CA) and had an easy sleep test, it's just the fingertip monitor overnight and then if you show sleep apnea symptoms, a week or two with a loaner CPAP machine.

For people who aren't the OP, if you
Snore heavily
Are super tired and falling asleep during the day
Stop breathing and need to be woken up during the night

Get
Tested
For
Sleep
Apnea
Immediately

It probably won't kill you (but it could) and getting good sleep again will change your life.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My mom just took me to a store in town that I can only describe as AliExpress: The Store. Tons of bins with all the fun fake Chinese branded junk that starts at $6 each and then drops through the week. My question is, how do they end up with this stuff? It’s literal junk but brand new

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Medical Billing question

Yeah, step one should be to try and get a human on the phone in their billing department. Just be prepared for it to take a while. These sorts of problems are often caused by an automated system that wasn't built to account for edge cases like these. So even if you can get them to agree that this shouldn't have happened they may need to "talk to their supervisor" to figure out how to sort it out.

Good luck. Medical billing is a nightmare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

MOM is surely nearby.

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

My mom just took me to a store in town that I can only describe as AliExpress: The Store. Tons of bins with all the fun fake Chinese branded junk that starts at $6 each and then drops through the week. My question is, how do they end up with this stuff? It’s literal junk but brand new

There's a bunch of stores like this, Ollie's, Big Lots, Five Below

Basically they buy huge stacks of trash from the major retailers like Walmart, target, whatever

It's all overstock, factory fuckups, 86'd, stuff that's like a month from expiring, they get it for next to nothing because it'd be dumpstered otherwise

Then they turn around and sell it to you for thirty times what they paid for because people don't understand that a bag of doritos with Rey from the Force Awakens on it is not good

If you mean literal aliexpress junk, they got it from aliexpress, welcome to every dollar store ever