Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Is it PUA slang maybe? Bears a resemblance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hyperlynx posted:

What do expensive kitchen knives do that cheap ones don't?

I ask having watched lots of videos from this guy's YouTube channel in which he restores a $500 knife and it cuts amazingly, but also sharpens a $1 knife and it cuts amazingly too.

Is there any fundamental difference between the $500 knife and the $1 knife other than how well they've been sharpened when you take them out of the box? What does that extra $499 get you?

Lots of factors. I'm sure I'm missing plenty, but here are some:

1. Steel used determines stain resistance, hardness, edge retention, ease of sharpening, and durability. These factors are often at odds with each other metallurgically speaking, and steels that rate highly across the board tend to be more expensive.

2. Blade crafting techniques can involve simple stamping of knives, automated mechanical forging, or hand forging. It can also involve laminating the steel used for the edge with other steels to enhance durability and flexibility. Heat treatment and other finishing techniques vary in quality and effect the characteristics of the finished knife.

3. "Fit and finish" - more expensive knives will have the handle of the knife paired well for balance and comfort and sanded down flush with the tang if the tang is exposed. The edges of the heel and spine of the knife are rounded for comfort. Acid etching exposing laminating techniques used can be used for a appealing aesthetic.

All that said, you can get relatively cheap knives that rate fairly high on the performance factors and are meant to be used hard, the classical suggestion being https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibrox-Chefs-Knife-8-Inch/dp/B008M5U1C2

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tuyop posted:

Historically, hunters would smoke like 200lbs of meat for personal use. That would sustain their family for several weeks on its own, probably.

You can only carry 100lbs of buffalo back to the wagon though?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

value-brand cereal posted:

I bought a generic, cheapest option locking doorknob from home depot for my bedroom door. I did so because I'm 90 percent sure one of my room mates was looking through my stuff and moving around my personal items. Other than buying some spy cameras and setting them up in my room, I can't say for sure. And I'd rather not go through the trouble of recording myself. That's weird. Also I'm not able to break the lease, and will have to be here for several months. I don't want to rock the boat and make poo poo worse, or weird. It's a shared kitchen/living room and I do have to see them.

My question is this. Is there any way he could get a copy of the key? It is a generic lock set. Am I being paranoid? I just don't want my undies fiddled with. He's made comments after I installed the lock that makes me think he's somehow gotten a key or is able to break in without leaving evidence of such.

Raking a lock, particularly a cheap lock, is often an easy and quick way to lockpick a door. Nothing like camera evidence - probably your best bet.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

spog posted:

I once had:
'Sometimes is is okay to hit a colleague if they really deserve it'
Strongly agree.....Strongly disagree

Strongly agree. What if they lose it and have started killing people? Out of the box thinking right there.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

kedo posted:

I have a long red-eye flight coming up that I need to sleep on, if possible. I'm almost never able to sleep on planes because I have a hard time falling asleep sitting up. What's the strongest or best over the counter medication that'll for sure knock me out? Dramamine doesn't make me sleepy.

How's your alcohol tolerance? Mini liquor bottles are carry-on OK. Duty free another option if international.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
With enough fiber, one can achieve the elusive ghost poop, where wiping produces nothing.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Qubee posted:

What's the best way to protect and ship a CPU? I've managed to sell my old one and I thought I'd be able to fit it (an i5-4670k) in the packaging of my i7-8700k, but it doesn't fit. I can't think of any other way to ship something this delicate without the seller receiving it and thinking "what the gently caress kind of packing job is this?"

First thought was wrap it in kitchen towel lmao, then I thought bubble wrap, but I've honestly got no idea what to do

Bubble wrap should be fine. Unless it experiences actual shear forces or hard impacts, you can shake a CPU all day long to no ill effect.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

if you can schedule an appointment a week in advance you'll see the doctor at your scheduled time immediately, no problem.

Is this an exaggeration, or have the doctors wherever you are managed to book people in a way that doesn't result in (what is in the US) a typical 15-60 minute delay from your actual appointment time before being seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fruity20 posted:

do scholarships usually give you money? I just got paper about it and I have to do two essays, one about relentlessness and the other about how to make the world a better place.

What does this "scholarship" purport to give you? Some might pay for expenses directly instead of giving you cash or provide other goods or services, but they have to give you something if you get it otherwise there is no real point.