Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
I'm sorry for my idiocy, but I cannot find the thread that offered advice about renting apartments. I've read it before but I just can't find it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Is there a thread on transit reform / cars being bad / etc other than the one in CSPAM?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Lincoln posted:

After that, I just moved into an apartment with my own washer/dryer.

Serious pro tip, if it's an option for you. In-unit laundry is super nice, especially in covid times.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

McCracAttack posted:

Wait, you just make a big pot of oatmeal and eat on it for a week?

You can also do refrigerator oats with things like yogurt and fruit and poo poo in it. I was enjoying it for a while, but I'd rather eat something warm in the morning that cold, so I haven't done it in a while.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

alnilam posted:

Look it up by voting precinct, not zip code. Stop doing demography with zip codes!

I wanted to respond with a photshop of one of those Mr ZIP labels that says "Your package arrived to the USPS damaged" except to strikeout package with "democracy" because I am a very clever political cartoonist. However, I can't find a picture of that label on the internet somehow??

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Perhaps it's a reference to the 1999 cinematic masterpiece starring Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz

I read this and literally went "The Constant Gardner?"

Man, I'm dumb.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Wasn't sure where else to ask this. Many, many years ago, I saw someone share a post about Women in Yu-Gi-Oh scenes theorizing about how there were no women at the game store because they lacked the mental capacity for the game. It was the funniest stupidest poo poo, but I can't find it again.

I think it was a Reddit post, or at least a screenshot of one. It was pre-2016. I know because I saw it on X, the everything app. Did you know it used to be called Twitter? Anyway, I had quit X by then, so I know it must pre-date that. I think maybe even the Spinelord was the one who shared it. Every year or so I try to re-find this, but to no avail.

Does anyone else remember this post?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

I remember hearing years ago that Wheat bread isn't that much more healthy than White bread, unless it's 100% Whole Grain / 100% Whole Wheat. Well, recently I started to wonder if that assertion was correct, but when I google it, I mostly just get other people saying that it's better. I can't find much about why except "it has all the nutrition" but is it really that simple?

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Maybe this isn't a small question but: Is the chatter over TikTok valid or sensationalized? Some people that I trust to be intellectually honest are in favor of the ban, but considering what American social media companies get away with I just help but wonder if we're swept up in some jingoistic hysteria.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

The platform was used extensively to show the atrocities happening in Gaza, which led to support for stopping the Palestinian genocide. A lot of US politicians didn’t like that, and that has influenced their voting.

My reaction upon seeing this is: It can't be just that, can it? I was under the impression that zoomers supported Palestine because of, well, using their loving eyes rather than by being influenced by social media into supporting Palestine. Though I suppose it's hard to demonstrate a causal relationship either way. Even if zoomers were 100% provably not being indoctrinated, the pro-palestine opinions exist so that could mean the techphobic lawmakers are able to be bamboozled.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Thank you for sharing that. Obviously goes against my intuition but that's hardly worth anything.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Forgive that this question borders on politics, but: regarding Rishi Sunak's proposed age-based tobacco purchasing ban, based on what we've seen in the past with prohibitionist policies on alcohol and marijuana, what makes us think it will work in this case? For the record, I'm personally against all three of those substances, but I am also not loving blind and can see that the bans haven't worked out.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

BonHair posted:

The risk/reward calculations for alcohol and weed are a lot better than for tobacco if they were banned. Basically, going to a black market to get cigarettes will not be worth it for the majority of smokers, because the high is not that good. Obviously illegal import from neighbouring countries would be easier than smuggling weed, but I'm still not sure the criminal networks would have enough incentive to keep it up.

I was thinking that too, but we already have people selling untaxed tobacco in the form of loosies in large cities with high taxes like NY. It's not like they card people. So, why wouldn't that continue and increase? I'm not trying to be contrary, just trying to understand the efficacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

EricBauman posted:

Research has shown that smokers (at least those who can afford it) are willing to pay even $60 for a pack if taxes are raised that far.

:staredog: holy poo poo. I'm so glad I am hopelessly unsalvagably uncool so I never had to try smoking.