Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Pogo the Clown posted:

Plus, you know, you did speed. Don't be a douche and own up.

This should forever be the answer to anyone wanting to know how to dodge a speeding ticket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

revolther posted:

My questions:
Why the gently caress did he open the door? Does a place being listed as the last known address give police the right to a search warrant? It's not a great neighborhood, maybe he thought he could just get away with it?

There is such a thing as a no-knock warrant, issued in cases where police believe evidence will be destroyed if they announce their presence (e.g. flushing drugs). As for whether he had adequate justification for such a warrant (or any warrant at all), that really varies from court to court.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

AtomicBolt posted:

Does Qatar rhyme with "Batter", "Guitar" or "Cutter"? I've heard all three.

"Cutter" seems to be the accepted journalistic/military pronunciation these days, but the local pronunciation does indeed rhyme with "guitar."

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Travakian posted:

Does anyone else see these inverted? For every single one I've seen, the foreground elements are pushed into positive space (behind the screen) while the general background and scene stay at screen level. I can only assume other people see it reversed; the main objects coming into negative space (popping out of the screen) -- thoughts?

I see them the same way you do.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Ridonkulous posted:

I think you mean Round

Nope:

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Not the "Row, Row, Row your boat" thing where they start at different times...

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Ridonkulous posted:

Is it common for states to have holds on purchases of new shotguns or rifles?
I know it is customary for hand guns.

The majority of states do not impose a waiting period for any firearm purchase, even handguns.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Are DVR's pretty much standard these days with cable packages in the US or what?

If by "standard" you mean "included at an extra price," then yes.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

drat Bananas posted:

When you sign a lease at an apartment, what exactly do the "application fees" and "administrative fees" go toward? I guess if there's a credit/background check, I assume those aren't free, but am I correct to assume it's mostly bullshit moneygrabbing?

Background check, credit check, and employment verification. Those aren't free to do. Assuming the fees they charge are reasonable, I wouldn't call it moneygrabbing.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Pile of Kittens posted:

How do I tell the upstairs people that they need to take their children outdoors to play? I work from home, and they have a toddler and occasionally other kids over. The weather is getting nice and there's a park one block away, and it's making me insane that the child runs back and forth constantly. I don't want to just go up there and be rude, but not only is it fraying the poo poo out of my nerves, I also wonder about the health issues of not taking kids out of doors daily to have a good run around. Isn't this how you give kids asthma?

I wonder if the mom is in some parenting thread saying, "How do I tell the creeper downstairs that he needs to get a real office?"

Fake edit: The neighborly thing to do would be to introduce yourself and let her know you work from home. Give her a chance to recognize that and be considerate of her own volition. But if she doesn't, there isn't much you can do.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

el_gringo posted:

Does anyone know what is included in the personal in-flight kit that Delta gives you when you fly Business Elite?

Last time I got one it was a travel toothbrush and toothpaste, an eye mask, and some socks with rubber nubbins on the bottom. There may have been some lotion in there, too.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

aherdofpenguins posted:

Basically everytime I go drinking...

After about 2 hours of sleep I wake up and sit in bed for hours and hours with my eyes wide open not able to go back to sleep. My mind is totally exhausted, my head generally hurts, but my body feels like I could run a marathon.

The gently caress?

This happens to my wife, too. My theory: a hangover is essentially just mild dehydration, and for some people, insomnia is a dehydration symptom. Try to drink more water throughout the night and see if that helps. That's just a generally good idea, whether it helps the sleeplessness or not...

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Pato posted:

How do I go about making a will? I'm still in my 20s so I am not in danger of dying any time soon (I hope) but in case of accidents or anything I should probably have one. Do I have to have different documents for my money and my possessions? Different documents for different people? Or is it as simple as writing 'I leave X to my mum, X to my best mate and X to my dog' on a paper? I live in California in case it matters.

Do you have (1) vast wealth and/or (2) a desire to leave things to strange people (i.e. not immediate family)? Even without a will, your estate will automatically transfer to the first available person in a specific order of people (spouse, then children, then parents, etc.)

If it's as simple as wanting your best friend to have a prized possession, you don't need anything fancy. Just write what you want in plain English (no legalese!). Then have it signed by two people who are not recipients under the will.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

daggerdragon posted:

No, but I take pains to reduce the amount of junk mail that is being sent to me. I opt-out of offers sent by the credit card companies, etc. This mailing was directly addressed to me, not Current Resident.

I'm asking how to contact them so I can hopefully find out who sold my address. I'm not above refusing to do business with companies who sell my information to people like Palin's marketing thugs. If you don't know, thank you anyway.

Are you registered to vote? In my state, the government agency that maintains the voter registry sells addresses.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Dudebro posted:

How is that legal? Especially if it's a government body.

Why would it be illegal? Your address is public information.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Mnoba posted:

Just pissed all over my hand doing this, why does it work and how do you know about it?

It's basic anatomy. As fluid pressure drops, fluid pools in low spots. All you're trying to do is lift and straighten the urethra, so all the urine can drain out. Works every time.

Take a look at this photo for reference:

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Giant Squid posted:

I have a serious problem with grinding my teeth at night. Can I buy effective mouth guards to prevent this over the internet, or do I have to go to get one through the dentist?

I just grabbed one from the store and it worked. It's certainly worth trying, as cheap as they are.

Edit: I got mine in a two-pack at Target. You heat it in water and bite into it to form the mold. Works great.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Cakefool posted:

Don't sign a lease that's longer than the relationship is old.

That is brilliantly put (and solid loving advice).

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
I keep seeing a truck with a sticker that looks like a silhouette of an armadillo, and the stomach is cutout in the shape of a silhouette that sort of looks like Disco Stu. I am really curious what that's a logo for. Any ideas?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
Anyone know the name of this game? I've been playing it for years but I have no idea what it's called.

Edit: Apparently it's known as Join Five or Morpion Solitaire. I now also see what the record number of moves is and realize how terrible I am at this game!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 24, 2012

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

tarepanda posted:

So why not make the negative impact based on applications or acceptance instead of looking up the score?

The negative impact only comes from hard inquiries, such an applying for credit. Soft inquiries, such as you looking at your own score, do not have an impact.

Namarrgon posted:

I come from a country where we don't use credit scores so the concept is a bit alien to me; how important are they really over someone's average life? And what is a 'good' score? Is it 100? Is it 1000?

The highest score is 850. Anything over 750 is usually considered "excellent" and is enough to secure the best rates. How important they are depends on how much you depend on credit. For most people (in the US at least), it's essential for things like buying a car or a house. Having excellent credit means a lower interest rate, which means less money paid over the life of the loan.

Wyatt fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 30, 2012

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Subway Ninja posted:

What would happen if, theoretically, Obama had a heart attack and died before being sworn in for his next term. Would Biden still take over for the next four years?

U.S. Constitution, Amendment XX, Section 3: If, at the time fixed for the beginning of the term of the President, the President elect shall have died, the Vice President elect shall become President.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

greatn posted:

What's a good way to tell my mom we don't want our baby christened? I have not come out as an atheist to my family and wasn't ever planning to.

Wait until she brings it up and say, "We're not doing that." It really is that simple. It's your child. Other people's beliefs don't get to factor in unless you want them to.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Just have it christened anyway and save the strain on the family? I mean, if you're an atheist then it's nothing more than a silly ceremony, so I don't see the harm in having it done.

As a father who just went through this, it came down to two things. One, I wasn't going to stand there and promise to raise my child in the church when I have no intention of doing so. I may be an apostate, but I am not a liar. Second, knowing that both sets of grandparents are going to be annoyed that we raise our child a heathen, it was best to set the precedent right out of the gate. You have a religious ceremony and it just sets them up for disappointment later.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Very Strange Things posted:

Could MY GIRLFRIEND, who is in OK shape in her late 30s but is certainly not athletic, having never "seriously" bicycled in her life, reasonably expect to ride 180 miles in three days for an event in June?

Could she do it on a 200 dollar bike like this?

http://www.amazon.com/GMC-Denali-Wo...words=road+bike

That is a serious amount of mileage for someone who isn't experienced. She might be ok from a fitness/endurance standpoint, assuming she kept her calories up. But that distance takes a real toll on the body. For lack of a more nuanced way to say it, her rear end is going to be raw after the first day. This can be mitigated to some degree with proper clothing, but she will really need to train in the intervening months and condition her rear end to that much time in the saddle.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Credit is when you have access to money you can borrow, i.e. potential debt. A creditor is someone to whom money is owed. That money is still called a debt, I think, except it's owed to you instead of you owing it.

Yep. Whether you are the debtor or the creditor, the asset is called a debt.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

miryei posted:

Who is at fault in a head-on collision [when the roads are poo poo]?

Laws will vary by jurisdiction, but in normal circumstances it would be the person who crossed the center line. In a situation where circumstances have made normal operation impossible, it's less clear. Most jurisdictions have a catch-all "driving too fast for conditions," which is perfect for this kind of situation. If the road is that bad, neither driver should be going so fast that they can't easily stop and yield. That's what ends up happening in my town (Madison, WI), where this is how the roads are for months at a time. Everyone just does this impromptu dance of weaving in between the road and curb spaces.

I will also add that it is possible to have a "no fault" crash, where neither party is responsible. But that really requires some unavoidable insanity.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

You Are A Elf posted:

What does "Ocrd" mean when it's suffixed to a CD for sale online?

Original Content Remastered Digitally would by my guess.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Sent in an article with the sentence "A number of fundamental questions regarding the xyz problem for abc remain unanswered.", got a reviewer comment back asking us to change "remain" to "remains". Is that really correct? Sounds wrong to me, but I am not competent enough to look it up, and it is hard to dismiss a reviewer comment without being sure.

I suspect what is confusing you is that you are linking the plural questions with remain, which would be correct. But in your sentence, what remains is the singular a number. You could always avoid an edit that sounds weird to you by just dropping a number of from the sentence altogether.

Edit: And Het sneaks in with the simulpost. I award you all my internets.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

haveblue posted:

Is it prudent to buy a bicycle helmet off Amazon, or is this something I should really go to a store for and poke at them myself/try them on/talk to knowledgeable people?

The benefit of going to a store is making sure you get one that is the right size, and having it properly fitted. If you're confident that you can measure the circumference of your head and then put a helmet on correctly, Amazon will be fine.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Kardashians are famous for being famous. I believe Kim was the first one to hit pop culture gold because of a sex tape featuring her and a D-list rapper.

This is correct.

Bonus backstory: a big reason the family has any prominence is because her father was part of O.J. Simpson's 1994 legal team. This earned him a little bit of celebrity, and presumably an awful lot of money. This allowed his daughters (Kim was around 14 at the time) to subsequently be L.A. socialites (aka rich and famous through no real effort). Kim then dated a string of famous people, mostly football players and D-list music people (inluding her sextape partner, Ray J).

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

photomikey posted:

Who is the woman who looks like Cruella Deville?

Meryl Davis (figure skating). The guy to her right is her partner, Charlie White.

Ninja edit: In case anyone is curious, that is also Shaun White (snowboarding) and Shani Davis (speed skating).

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

regulargonzalez posted:

If you're hanging a bunch of pieces of art of different size in a room, do you align them w/r/t the top of the frames, the bottom of the frames, or the midpoint of each picture? Or just randomly throw them on the wall?

Technically, you would use the midpoint of each picture. But do whatever is aesthetically pleasing to you.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

alnilam posted:

Well c0l0r m3 c0rr3c73d.

Do they account for interrup666ting words? I feel like that'd be hard cause how could you know how many characters the interruption will be.

You were right. While the character substitution alone doesn't do much (apart from satisfying the annoying requirement of having one uppercase and one special character), linking together words absolutely does. Relevant XKCD.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

regulargonzalez posted:

Can anyone explain the name of this dog food? Because it makes no sense to me and seems stupid and ungrammatical

They're ripping off the Avett Brothers song of the same name, in which the lyric actually makes sense: Three words that became hard to say: "I" and "love" and "you."

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Baron Bifford posted:

Were there any Quantum Leap episodes where Sam leaps into the body of a vicious career criminal?

He leaped into the body of several criminals, including Lee Harvey Oswald. Was there a specific episode you were trying to remember or were you just curious?

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

General Venereal posted:

Language / hunting question: If someone says they've bagged a "7-by-8 trophy class elk", what would the 7 by 8 be referring to? Thanks a bunch in advance!

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Antlers, I reckon. 7 tines one side 8 on another?

Yeah, it refers to the number of points on the rack. They actually have different names for matched combos. A 6x6 elk is called a Royal Bull; 7x7 is called an Imperial Bull; 8x8 is called a Monarch Bull. Having an even number of points is more desirable from an aesthetic standpoint, so they don't have fun names for the unmatched combos. Either way, a 7x8 is a big elk.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Is there a thread that deals with traffic violations or automobile accidents? Somewhere I can ask an attorney or an Armchair Attorney a few questions?

Legal megathread

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Lblitzer posted:

"When you smash your fingat."?

That definitely makes my brain hurt.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

OneEightHundred posted:

Broken toe chat

I fractured my big toe right through the cartilage that connects the phalanx to the metatarsal. In addition to immobilizing it, I also got a few rounds of transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation. I don't know if that was necessary, or if it aided healing, but it sure felt good. 10/10, would break toe again.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Chutch posted:

Is is possible to listen to LP's using these 3 components, or do i need some big rear end amplifier? Or is there any small amplifier that I can use?

Assuming that last picture is of some sort of stereo system and not a jellyfish, then yes, you have everything you need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

tuyop posted:

No, racism necessarily involves harm (racism=prejudice+power). If you're alone on a desert island, thinking lovely thoughts about Jews, you're just an rear end in a top hat.

This is also the reason why minority people can't be racist. If you have no power to harm the majority group or member, then you can only be mean, not racist.

This is the dumbest thing I've read all day (granted, it's early). You can't redefine racism just so minorities conveniently can't be racist. Racism is the belief that a particular race is superior to another. That's it.