Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

greazeball posted:

I remember a study that found men perceived a photo showing 20% women and 80% men as being equal numbers of men and women and a 30/70 split as women outnumbering men. I probably have all kinds of details wrong, but does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think you're talking about a study which have shown that in a situation like a meeting or a classroom, men perceive equal participation when actually it's 30/70. Unfortunately I don't have a link to the study but I'm certain it was about participation/representation in real life scenarios rather than a series of photos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I have an issue where every time I log into Windows (ie after rebooting or logging into a new user or anything) it puts some kind of yellowish filter over my screen. I know it's something that it's doing on top of the normal colour balance because it only happens after I log in, while the computer is starting up all the things it starts up. Also, I can fix it by going to colour management -> advanced -> calibrate display, clicking next once and then closing the calibration process. That removes it just fine, but I have to do it every single time I log back into Windows again. I'm using Windows 8 on an Asus laptop and can give more details if it's relevant, but I've tried searching through every option I can find on the comptuer and googling any search terms that seem like they might have even a slight chance of coming up with something and I can't find anything that will let me permanently get rid of whatever's doing it. Anyone got any ideas?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Athanatos posted:

It's not f.lux running somewhere in the background is it?

Nope, I don't have it installed.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

ihopeirememberthis posted:

Is there an easy way to create a physical document that in the future I'll be able to prove was written on a certain date?

Take a video of yourself creating it next to a newspaper stand.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is there a specific way to improve your blood circulation aside from just generally exercising and getting more fit? My hands and feet are always freezing and if there's something specific I could be doing then I'd be more likely to get around to doing it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Huntersoninski posted:

From what I remember last time I was curious enough to look it up, it's appropriate to say someone is "the late" mr so-and-so for thirtyish to years after their death give or take a decade. Like you said, it has nothing to do with the age of the deceased and everything to do with how recently they passed.

I would have thought the usage was to make sure that the person you're speaking to knows that the person you're talking about is dead because it's relevant to the conversation and they wouldn't otherwise know. Like the difference between "my husband" and "my late husband". That just has the side effect of pretty much only applying to people who are recently deceased.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Trastion posted:

What if her husband just hasn't arrived yet? Maybe he is just "late" because he was still "at the office".

I agree though that it is just to reference that someone is dead hence why you do not use it for people like George Washington because everyone should already know he is dead.

I don't think any native English speaker would ever interpret "my late husband" as anything but a dead husband. "Late" as an adjective applied directly to a person like that always means dead. If the husband was just running late then our hypothetical spouse would use a different sentence entirely.

But I'm sure there's a comedy somewhere that's used it as an excuse for a "hilarious" misunderstanding.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is there a good reason why I shouldn't buy a robot vacuum cleaner, assuming I can afford one? Like, do they not vacuum very well or do they need replacing way too often or is there some other reason why they aren't as cool an idea as they sound? I was just looking at one that says it mops as well as vacuums but that sounds too good to be true to me. I guess I'm trying to work out if there's a good reason why it feels like few people have embraced the idea of a (very limited) robot butler beyond the fact that you can vacuum a house yourself in like five minutes.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

the black husserl posted:

I just inherited a huge box of crap from a dead relative. While going through it, I found a little piece of jewelry with what looks like a small diamond and silver chain. What kind of place should I take this to in order to sell it? I have no idea what it's worth or could be worth, is there some kind of shop that will give an honest assessment? Google is just confusing me more, help me goons!

Try asking this thread. I think the OP has some good advice in it too.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Are there any sites like Threadless that do T-shirts with nice designs but are cheaper than Threadless is these days? I remember it being a lot cheaper a few years back than it is now, and I've had issues with the quality of their shirts/screenprinting in the past as well. Australian sites would be a bonus but I know better than to expect there are any of those.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

photomikey posted:

Google "direct to garment"printing in your area, do the world a favor, support a local business.

I'd be happy to buy from somewhere not a massive company if I can find what I'm looking for, but I'm not actually interested in custom shirts. I'm interested in a curated collection of shirts with pretty art on them. I could find art to put on shirts myself but it's not very fair to the artist involved to google something up and stick it on a T-shirt just like that.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Emily A. Stanton posted:

https://www.designbyhumans.com ? I've ordered almost a dozen shirts from them and I've been extremely happy with the quality of the shirts themselves and the printing. There's some goofy stuff and some gorgeous stuff. They have some really good deals and sales all the time.

Thanks, that looks like exactly what I'm after.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Motronic posted:

Not everyone lives where there needs to be traffic lights. Most of this county gets by on stop signs just fine, because there isn't enough traffic to warrant anything more.

We have stop signs too, it's just that we only ever have them on one axis of the intersection. You know, so everyone knows who has right of way without having to play chicken. We also have a whole lot of roundabouts, which force everyone to play nicely.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

This is what I'm talking about. Sure, road rules work if everyone understands them equally and also isn't a dickhead who thinks the rules don't apply to them, but a better system has simpler rules so they can't be misunderstood or things like roundabouts where everyone is forced to move slowly and in a less-dangerous direction.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dzhay posted:

When they subtitle foreign films, in places like China and Japan where the writing system would make it hard, what do they do about foreign proper nouns?

(Inspired by watching a period drama with someone who said "they sell these internationally".)

The Japanese writing system has an entire set of characters to use for foreign words. I think in Chinese they just pick characters which are pronounced close to the right sounds? I'm not sure what happens before there's an official set of characters for it though.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dead.juice posted:

I seriously just want to get her something nice and subtle, that won't stir up any more poo poo for them. I'm not trying to get in her pants, I just like her a bit.
If their poo poo works out, I'm happy for them.

Do not buy her a valentine's day present.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I think the question is more if there's a single noun that isn't racist. You don't say "a Chinese" in the same way as you can say "a German" or "an Australian." I don't think there is a way to say it other than using Chinese as a modifier, like "Chinese person" or whatever.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

stubblyhead posted:

If a person was raised as an observant Jew and later in life converted to some other religion, how common would it be for them to maintain some of the dietary restrictions like not eating pork or shellfish? Like even if they no longer believe it to be something God wants them to do, I would imagine a lot of them still wouldn't since they'd been raised in a culture that finds those things to be icky and not fit for eating.

I don't think there's an answer for "how common" but for what it's worth I'm a culturally Jewish atheist who doesn' t eat pig just because I just don't. I don't think it's "icky" or "not fit for eating" and I wasn't raised to think like that either, it's fine for other people. It's just not a food I'm interested in eating. I didn't eat shellfish for most of my life but then I spent some time in Japan and decided what the hell and learned that prawns are loving delicious. So yes, you're right that someone can have a cultural aversion to eating something even though they don't believe in the religious rule forbidding them from it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Wedemeyer posted:

Pretty sure that PI would be fine. I think it was Fluffy Bunnies or someone else who had a thread about meat rabbits a while back. Just be clear in the title what your doing with the rabbits so you get the old OP's attention and maybe they can pop up to give some advice.

Pretty sure the thread about meat rabbits was in GWS and that was generally considered a better place for it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I bought a new T-shirt about two weeks ago. It seemed like decent quality, not terrible thin fabric or anything. When taking it out of the washing machine just now I noticed that there's a small but very noticeable hole in the back of it. Is it something to do with the quality of the T-shirt or did I do something wrong with it or is it just bad luck? I've literally only worn it twice and nothing untoward happened to it while I was wearing it. Could it be moths or something?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I need to change the bulb on this light fitting but I can't work out how to remove it. Does anyone know?

I can try to get more pictures if it would help but it's hard to get non-blurry ones between the bad light and the fact that I'm holding my phone above my head to get it close enough. I've tried googling for removing various round light fittings but haven't found anything that resembles it. I'm guessing there's a way to release the little claw bits but I can't see any way to do it.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

VodeAndreas posted:

You should be able to slide/pull the clips outwards radially. Hold onto the glass from below and try each of them, at least one should give way otherwise they might be rusted/gunked up a bit.

Just tried that and got nothing. They're a little bit wiggly but don't seem to want to actually move, and I don't want to force something and break it. It does look like there are little hinges on the clips but they're stuck pretty fast and I'm not sure if it's because they're gunked up or if there's an extra step to getting them out.

ETA: Here's an attempt at taking a photo of the clip:

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 28, 2015

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Manslaughter posted:

It looks like the hooks on the clips should bend/rotate up? It's pretty out of focus.

You tried all 3? If one of them gives then that would be enough to get the cover off.

Yeah, it's hard to get an in-focus picture when I'm holding my phone above my head to get it so I can't really see what it's focusing on. It does look like it should rotate up but none of them budge at all in that direction. They do budge a little bit to the sides but that doesn't seem particularly helpful for getting the glass part out of them.

photomikey posted:

re: the light

You have to pull it almost too hard, it'll pop right off.

The problem is knowing how to pull almost too hard and not actually too hard on a part that's not meant to move.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

NESguerilla posted:

Heh. Reading about this scam is what made me all paranoid all of a sudden. Really I think anything fishy is incredibly unlikely. The landlord and guy that lived there seem legit and I even met the neighbors and they seemed nice. I've been there a couple of times to drop off boxes and everything seems fine. The main thing that I'm wondering is if depositing directly into an account is less safe than writing a check somehow. poo poo, I don't even know how this works to be honest since I can't write a check I hope I'm not supposed to bring cash. I'm hoping my debit card would work? I'm planning on asking the people at Wells Fargo about all of this too.

No luck finding the property on any of the sites I found from google.

I'm Australian and this post is just so loving weird to me. No one writes cheques here, everything is done via direct deposit and it's perfectly normal and safe. We do it via web interface but I guess there's probably a way to do it via debit card somehow.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Nintendo Kid posted:

Except the landlord could just claim they deposited the money themselves if they wanted to gently caress you over. You write a check or do a wire transfer and there's a record that you have of the transaction versus dumping cash in some random bank account.

This is why receipts exist.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

DavidAlltheTime posted:

If I'm in a super cold place, should I pee so I have less to keep warm, or should I not pee because my pee is already warm?

This is super important..

According to the camp leader on the wilderness camp thing I did in high school over a decade ago, you should pee so you have less to keep warm. It's only warm because your body expending energy to keep it that way.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

EmmyOk posted:

Compared to English does Japanese have more two letter/kanji words? Or in other words are two kanji words more common that two letter words in English.

The short answer is "yes" because there are tons and tons of Japanese words written with two kanji and not many English words with two letters. But the real answer is that kanji are not letters and there's no point in comparing them as if they are. Kana are closer to letters but each kana is a syllable so it's more like two or three English letters if you wanted to transliterate.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I know that mixing bleach and ammonia based cleaning products is an awful idea, but what about cleaning out a cat's litter box with a bleach-based product? I'm pretty sure cat urine involves ammonia, but I've never heard of any kind of warning like that before. Is it not concentrated enough to be a problem or something or is it still a really bad idea?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mister Kingdom posted:

You could always wash it out with hot soap and water first. It's plastic, right?

That's what I've been doing. It was more of a hypothetical question I guess, since I was looking through the cleaning stuff I have and thinking it through.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

Because the alternative is worse.

Unless the alternative is that you can't just bring a new case against someone for something they've been acquitted for but you can go before a judge and ask to be allowed to do so if you can prove that it's in the interests of justice. Over here at least there's a ton of procedural things where you can't do something but you can if you can prove that it should happen. And in fact, based on a cursory google, that's exactly how it works here at the moment (Australia). You can get permission to bring a new trial if there is "fresh and compelling evidence". Varies slightly by state but that's pretty much it.

Organza Quiz fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jul 22, 2015

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

dupersaurus posted:

Yeah, but oour system was developed in reaction to a government that would abuse procedural things like that. It's better for a few guilty to go free if it means one innocent is saved, yada yada yada. Of course real life is messier than that, but y'know.

I was going to finish my post with a line about how from what I understand about the US "too many guilty people going free" is really the exact opposite of the actual problem, but I figured that would be opening too massive a can of worms. I was just responding to the idea that there's no middle-ground between "let the State try people over and over" and "let an obviously guilty person go free because the evidence condemning them wasn't found at the time". For what it's worth though, the point of the judicial system is meant to be that it's to stop the executive government from abusing things like that. If the system was functioning as intended it doesn't matter if the government would attempt to abuse it, the courts would be keeping a check on them.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

regulargonzalez posted:

I'd guess that generally speaking, you trust the system / government more than Americans do and that's the root of a lot of the difference in outlook. Your post has many wishful thinking "if"s. The whole NSA revelations over the last couple years, along with all the other muck the government has been up to for the entire millenium, basically has impressed into us that if you give the government an inch, they'll happily take a mile.

Oh don't worry, I know the USA is basically a dystopia, I do read the news. It's less wishful thinking "ifs" and more "this is a system that is hypothetically possible and in fact exists in places that are not as hosed up as America is". The answer to "why does double jeopardy work this way" isn't "because there's no other way it could work," it's "because our particular system is broken."

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

Does anyone call marijuana "pot" anymore?

Yes.

Source: I transcribe court cases for a living and heard someone call it that yesterday.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

OneTwentySix posted:

It's not just Britain, and not just lizards. Chicks are a common feeder food for a bunch of reptiles. Snakes have to eat too, and while mice/rats are generally preferred, sometimes some snakes won't take them for whatever reason.

There's a place here that's full of fun science things to do for kids, which includes a big incubator with lots of chicken eggs and chicks where you can watch eggs hatch. When you're a kid and you inevitably ask what happens to the chicks when they get older, you're told, "They go to the zoo." I went back there as an adult and asked again and it turns out it's completely true, they do get sent to the zoo.... to feed the reptiles.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Mak0rz posted:

Is there a single topic in all of human knowledge that gonns won't get angry about?

No, because there is no topic where someone won't come barrelling in going "well I think..." even though they have no idea what they're talking about.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

tuyop posted:

Has anyone ever died from sleeping while having really long hair? Like, strangulation from being wrapped around your neck or choking on it somehow?

Technically I don't know the answer but I do have really long hair and I'm pretty sure that's impossible. It's just not the way that hair moves while you're lying down even if you toss and turn.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Dragyn posted:

Not sure if there is an art questions thread or anything. I picked this up at a yardsale yesterday (I really just wanted the frame). The signature is "E Hesse" but I can't find anything about the artist. Mostly stuff about Eva Hesse who I don't think was alive when this portrait was made.

Any art history majors who may have heard of this artist?

As someone who has artists in the family, I'd suggest asking around local artist groups or something. Plenty of people sell paintings who aren't even nearly famous enough for random internet people to recognise their names, art history majors or not.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

I work as an audio transcriptionist and I use a foot pedal all day while I type. I've never been able to work out exactly where I should put the pedal and what angle it should be at in order to avoid loving up my knee from using it all day, I usually just end up moving it around over the course of the day trying to find a comfortable position for it. I've tried googling all sorts of things looking for resources but anything involving typing or ergonomics goes straight to keyboard recommendations and anything without "typing" goes to music pedals etc. Does anyone know anything about this or have links to somewhere that does?

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

El Jeffe posted:

I've considered doing audio transcription for supplementary income. What's the pedal for exactly?

Yep, it's used to control the audio so I can keep my hands on the keyboard. The middle button stops and starts, but whenever it starts it also jumps back by about 3 seconds so I'm not constantly having individual words broken up by stopping and starting.

Schweinhund posted:

Are you sure your chair is high enough? I wouldn't expect the knee to be very involved in using a foot pedal. I have a keyboard with pedals and it's just the weight of the foot that presses them down and then you raise your ankle to unpress them. There's not a lot of knee action involved: Are you sure you don't have a bad pedal?

edit: you could look into piano playing posture because it's probably the same thing.

Actually now that I think about it this is almost certainly my problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is it possible for a house to have dodgy wiring or light fittings such that the light seems to work fine but it burns out much faster than it otherwise would?