Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I'm not sure whether this is quite the right thread for this, but I guess it's worth a shot. I'm trying to remember the name of a french philosopher (not really one of the "serious" ones if my memory serves, quite possibly only a rich young dude who wrote stuff because he was bored) I've read about ages ago. The most distinctive thing I remember is that he used a pen name, which I think began with an S and and I thought "wow, that's rather pompous" when I first read it.

Whenever I try to remember him my mind always circles back to Voltaire, but I'm rather sure that it's not him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, my smartphone battery just failed in a fairly spectacular manner, and I'm looking for a replacement. Problem is that my phone is a cheapass chinese knockoff, and parts for that are a bit cumbersome to get my hands on. Now since I know gently caress-all about phone batteries, I wonder whether batteries of different brands are interchangeable. Could I just slot in any given battery with an identical voltage and capacity in there, or do I need the same particular model of battery intended for that model of phone?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

I'm a programmer who took comp sci and is terrible at maths. They made us do hardcore calculus in first year and I struggled tremendously. I've never used it since, and I'm a pretty good programmer.

I think the idea is that some people find it easy to understand computer science concepts via their mathematical definitions, and that if someone has a talent for maths they can use it to understand programming. Personally I take to computer science concepts by themselves.

I can describe a tree structure or a binary search or whatever just fine, but if you asked me to define either in mathematical terms I'd be screwed.

I'd say go for it. Struggle through the maths bullshit and see if the pure programming and comp sci stuff is for them.

Although, on the back of that university fees argument, maybe this is bad advice unless you live somewhere tertiary education is either free or is a government loan that's paid back via your tax (and so if you're not earning enough money to pay tax you aren't having to make repayments).

OK. I'd try out learning some programming first and see if I liked it. There's more to pure comp sci than programming though, so maybe take a look at data structures and algorithms and such and see if they're at all interesting

Yeah, I'm in a similar boat, though I don't have my degree quite yet. I basically pushed all my math courses as far back as possible and went right to the actual comp-sci stuff at first. Even without the mathematical grounding, pretty much everything was perfectly doable. Well, with the possible exception of signal processing, that poo poo is chock full of analysis. Of course I still had to pass those math courses eventually, but I wouldn't say the knowledge from them is critially necessary for most practical purposes. Much of the theoretical part consists of proofs that show you why things work the way they work (which can be quite interesting in its own right, mind), but most of the time you just need to know that they work, and how to work them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Since the topic of language came up just now, I've always wondered about something to do with the word "bias" (since english is a second language for me). I've always figured that "bias" was the noun form, whereas "biased" was the adjective form. But time and time again I see people online use "bias" as an adjective, e.g. "this is a bias article". So I'm wondering, is this maybe a British English/American English thing, or a certain regional dialect?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Baron Porkface posted:

Why is a guillotine blade angled?

For the same reason why you move a knife back and forth in a slicing motion when trying to cut something. Moving the blade in a lateral direction relative to what you're cutting results in an easier and cleaner cut. The angle on the guillotine's blade basically just simulates that motion as it drops downward. I think there have been some earlier trials with straight or crescent-shaped blades, and they occasionally had the problem where they just crushed the neck without a clean separation. The same principle is also why some swords are curved, for example.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tad Naff posted:

Mm, yes. The nurse showed me everything that had ever entered my ears since I was a lad, in a kidney dish

Also we may be hung up on the word "syringe", it's not a needle thing, it's a rubber bulb much like an old style bike horn squeezer. Just with a narrow outlet to apply some pressure to evacuate the earwax, but hopefully not enough to perforate anything important.

There are also purpose-made syringes with a specific attachment, to make sure the water stream is spread across the walls of the ear canal and doesn't slam straight into your eardrum. I use one of those and it works just fine, and it's supposedly even safer than the bulb thingies.

Also, I'd suggest just doing it in the shower. Chances are you'll have a bunch of gross wax-water running down your cheek and jaw when you try it the first time, so you might as well have the cleanup be convenient.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Q8ee posted:

I tried taking a picture of it, but it doesn't show up (it autohides from pics I guess). I've got two icons on the bottom right of my screen at all times. One is a microphone, and the other is a circle that is made up of two arrows touching tip to tail. I'm almost certain it's from GeForce Experience, but I can't figure out how to turn it off. It's constantly blocking my clock, and ingame, it can block key areas of the UI.

It's frustrating and I'm tired of putting up with it. Anyone have any idea how to solidly tell what stupid app is creating these? Clicking on them doesn't do anything, right clicking just makes me right click whatever is behind the icons.

Alternatively to disabling it through Geforce Experience (or if that doesn't stick for some reason), you can also shut it down by opening up the task manager, going to startup, and disabling "NVIDIA Capture Server Proxy".

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Q8ee posted:

Alt-Z worked, thank you. I wish you had the option of disabling the overlay. I want it on when I play games, so I can save clips, but it really gets in the way of the UI. Bunch of knuckleheads over at nvidia

I'm pretty sure you can actually do that. Bring up the overlay, disable Instant Replay (necessary for accessing the settings), and then bring up the settings through the gear icon. In there, go to "HUD Layout", pick "status indicator" and set it to "Off" (or another corner of the screen).

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Blackfyre posted:

Can anyone recommend a good pc/desk/office chair? UK based if that helps. Had a big cheap leathery one for years then got a racer chair (like a dx? Was a couple hundred) which I do not like much.

Seen some real expensive ones listed like the Aeron but not sure what's the sort of sweet spot e.g a good priced comfy chair with good head support etc might cost way less.

Or you might just all tell me to get an Aeron.

My brother recently got the Markus from Ikea and likes it a lot, and I also found it pretty comfortable on visits. It's got a nice high backrest, which is particularly appreciated if you're on the taller side. It's also reasonably affordable as such chairs go for ~140€:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Vegetable posted:

What's a good video editing software to learn for beginners if I just want to random edit clips together and throw them on YouTube?

Windows Movie Maker is free, fairly simple to use, and can do simple jobs just fine. It lacks a lot of fine control and certain functions (such as cropping, moving overlays, detailed zoom, etc.) compared to other editors, but if all you need is rudimentary stuff like trimming the length of clips, combining them into a single movie, and maybe adding the occasional caption, it'll do that perfectly well.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

Let's say you're an astronaut and you've landed on a planet that has an Earth-like atmosphere except there's no oxygen. If you took off your helmet and tried to breathe, what would would happen?

Depends a what gas makes up the difference, basically. Your body's "holy poo poo I'm suffocating" response is triggered when there is too much carbon dioxide in the air you're inhaling. I think the threshold at which you're starting to feel adverse effects starts at around 5-7% CO2 in your air (for reference, in our atmosphere it's usually around ~0.05%), though that might depend on how active you are. So if the lacking oxygen was replaced by CO2, you'd be in for a very uncomfortable experience, suffocating in very short order and panicking the whole time as your body goes into overdrive trying to get more air.

However, that response only really exists for CO2 specifically, and does not exist for most other gases. Gases like nitrogen, for example, which makes up the majority of our atmosphere. If a gas like that displaces oxygen, you'll generally just start to feel drowsy, then fall unconscious in a fairly peaceful manner, then die in short order. Nitrogen suffocation has actually been proposed as an alternative execution method, as it's relatively humane as far as these things go.

So, if the oxygen was replaced by nitrogen (or similar inert gases), or if you just sucked out all the oxygen without changing the amount of the other gases, then that's likely what's going to happen. You'd fall asleep and die, relatively peacefully.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

DrBouvenstein posted:

I'm looking for a sort-of-halfway-decent video editing program.

I don't need to do much, but it might be beyond what most/all free video editing software can do.

It's not just simple "start video at timestamp X, cut in second video at timestamp Y, add this audio." I want to be able to at least very simply overlay graphics/images on top of the video, possibly add animations to them (very simple, like having them rotate/pan with the video they're getting superimposed on.)

I know there's Adobe stuff (I assume After Effects...or maybe Premiere? Possibly both?) but I'd rather not spend that money. I'd only use it sparingly, so even $20 a month for one of them is a bit too much, and if I would need both of them, I definitely don't want to pay $50 a month for the unlimited CC package.

Lightworks might be worth taking a look at. It's quite powerful (including features like overlaying images and animating them) and has a permanently free version without an expiration date or watermark. The main downsides are a pretty idiosyncratic interface/workflow, and that the free version can only export in resolutions up to 720p (in addition to some other limitations, but most of those are unlikely to be relevant). Still, it might just fit your use-case. :shrug:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

CzarChasm posted:

I've heard recently that some people use too much detergent when doing laundry and that a typical wash cycle can't actually rinse all the suds out of the wet clothes. Then you dry them, but there's a residue of detergent that sticks around. You could try less soap and see if the smell persists.

Also, how do you dry them? Tumble dryer, high heat, dryer sheet?

And one more I've heard of - is your washer top load or front load? I've heard that the front load washers can have off smells and you sometimes need to add some kind of deodorizer to them. It may not be a mold/mildew smell and I can't testify as I've never used a front loader, but it might be something.

The same can actually happen to top loaders as well, if you don't air them out every now and then. My clothes used to have a similarly funky/stale smell, and eventually I figured out that came from the machine itself from the moisture trapped inside. Since then I just switched to leaving it open overnight after each wash so it'd completely dry out, and the smell has gone away.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 14, 2018

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

hooah posted:

Speaking of pissing, I've noticed at work that sometimes I'll hear another guy at the urinals undo his belt, presumably in order to pee. What the hell kind of clothes are these dudes wearing that the fly won't work?

Wait, there are actually people who open up just the fly and wrangle their dicks through that? :psyduck:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

McSpanky posted:

What's the origin of this :yeshaha: emote? I guess I'm not cool enough for all the hippest memes these days, you drat kids.

It's from a Kelly political cartoon, who is the cartoonist of The Onion. Pretty sure the emote originated in the Political Cartoons thread over in D&D, too. I can't find the full comic offhand, but the specific panel is this one:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

Is SA twitter embed broken for everyone or just me?

If you're using Firefox, check the Tracking settings. If they're set to strict, that kills Twitter cookies which disables embedding.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Alright, this may be a slightly weird one: How bitter is coffee supposed to taste? Cause a colleague of mine (who is also a coffee aficionado) recently mentioned that coffee only tastes bitter if you mess something up, and is usually supposed to taste slightly sweet by default. And after a cursory google search, the internet seems to agree. The thing is, though: Literally every single cup of plain coffee I've ever drank tasted bitter to me. No matter whether it was lovely instant stuff or freshly ground fancypants Arabica from a coffee shop. Hence why I usually mix it with a generous helping of milk and sweetener.

So, the question is: Is that "coffee isn't supposed to taste bitter" thing overstated and some remnant bitterness is always in there? Are my tastebuds just kinda hosed? Or did I just have an incredibly long unlucky streak of particularly lovely coffee?

VVVVV Fair point, but I live in Germany :shrug: VVVVV

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Feb 15, 2020

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

credburn posted:

When I was a kid my uncle suggested I try this to get rid of hiccups, and what instead happened is I got a shot of water right into my nose and after I coughed fluid out of my mouth, nose and eyes for a few minutes, the hiccups were gone. After all this time, I'm finally ready to ask: is that supposed to happen? By which I mean, is the idea of telling someone to drink this that they will gently caress it up, and in the comical mess that follows the hiccups will be gone? Or is there some other way drinking from a cup like this can have any beneficial effect?

I think the general idea is that it makes you engage your abdominal muscles and forces you to regulate your breathing, both of which are supposed to help.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dawncloack posted:

What is this "legitimate interest" poo poo that I see on cookie control panels in websites?

I mean, I know it's juast tthe same old bullshit, can't be that the same companies have any "legitimate interest" in getting data, it's all going to be packaged and sold.

But what's the justificating veneer? And howbare we veing screwed? Any primers? My google fu has failed.

That's a specific formulation from the recent-ish European GDPR reform. Basically, the reform makes it more difficult for corporations to gather and process your personal information, especially online. But since it's still necessary, the GDPR offers several legal bases on which corporations still can process your information. One of them is plain necessity: An online store can't sell you stuff if they can't gather the shipping address. Another is explicit consent, which is what all the cookie popups you've been noticing are generally about. "Legitimate Interest" is another one of those bases, and a fairly popular one since it doesn't require asking the target for explicit consent beforehand.

Now, for this to be valid, the corporation needs to first be able to demonstrate a, well, legitimate interest for processing your personal data. For an online store that might be "We've sold them stuff before, and would like to sell them more stuff by marketing to them". They must be able to demonstrate that this interest exists, that it's significant, and that processing your data is necessary for it. Most importantly, this interest must also be balanced against the person's rights and ownership of their data. That generally means that a corporation may get to use use what data they themselves have gathered about you, but usually does not include passing on that data to third parties.

For example, if you bought things at an online store and created an account with them, under "legitimate interest" they'd likely be allowed to use your order history to tailor their marketing to your profile, and to send you these offers to the email address you registered with. They would however very much not be allowed to sell or otherwise pass on any of that data to anybody else without your express consent. It can be a somewhat risky basis for a corporation to use, since the onus to prove legitimate interest and proper balancing is on them, and if they fail to sufficiently prove it at any point they might well have to eat poo poo and get hit with a fine.

tl;dr: It's one allowed way of processing personal data under GDPR without having to ask for explicit consent, but it's also significantly more limited in scope.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Looks to be Canterbury, on the banks of the River Stour: https://www.google.com/maps/@51.2813106,1.0754341,3a,75y,302.02h,82.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sjT7BNWCiiTqgSQam9uiCxA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

!Klams posted:

Whats the deal with Soap?

Like, chemically, what's going on there? How does it make things clean? It's not just physically abrading the 'dirt' away, it's doing some like, ionic bond thing, right? So, what is soap good for? It kills Coronavirus, does it kill virii in general? Bacteria?

And then, what's bleach? Why would you need both? Why do we use bleach in toilets and not soap? What is bleach doing chemically, compared to soap? What is disinfectant spray, and why is there that as well?

I've Googled this somewhat, but not found like a good ELI5 answer, or anything really explaining why we have different things.

Much of that "dirt" that you need to use soap for is at least in part made up of fats or oils. These are called "hydrophobic", which means they do not mix with, bond with, or dissolve in water. In the kitchen you can often see how oil in water tends to just do its own thing without dissolving. Or if you've ever ended up with greasy hands and tried to wash them without soap, you'll notice how the water seems to just wash over the grease without doing anything about it. The fats repel the water, letting it slide past without interacting. Many substances in nature can be categorized as either liphophile (bonds with fats) or hydrophile (bonds with water), and they are usually phobic to the opposite.

Enter soap. Soap is what's called an amphiphile, which means it can bond with both fats and water. So if you wash your greasy hands with soap, that soap will first bond with the grease on your hands. That soap/grease bond can then also bond with the water, which allows it to be washed away. It's basically sort of a bridge between the two substances, and allows them to bond when they otherwise wouldn't.

Now, as for the question about coronavirus, that's connected with it. Soap by itself doesn't really do much of anything to viruses or bacteria (unless it's been specifically mixed with another antibacterial substance). However, when you've got a virus load on your hands, it'll be within the thin layer of oil on top of your skin. Water by itself won't get that, but soap (and a good deal of scrubbing) will wash those oils away. So soap doesn't actually kill the virus, it just helps you flush it down the drain.

Bleach and hand sanitizers are yet another deal. These outright damage or destroy the bacteria and viruses they come into contact with. The specific how of that tends to vary somewhat, but in general bacteria tends to consist of certain proteins, and the bleach chemically reacts with those in a way that pretty much completely fucks them up and stops them from functioning. This is also why you can just use hand sanitizer in place without having to wash it off after. You just apply it, it chemically destroys any viruses or bacteria on your skin, and then just evaporates away.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Apr 23, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Drimble Wedge posted:

During the last hot spell, I ran across my neighbour hosing down the outside of his house (a large, brick, two-storey house). He explained that they didn't have air conditioning so he was doing this to cool it. Would this actually help or was he wasting his time? I can't see it affecting the hot air already inside.

Brick buildings in particular can have the issue that the bricks absorb and retain heat for a long time. If the house interior is poorly insulated (or not at all), it can lead to the interior staying uncomfortably warm during the night even if the outside temperature is relatively cool. So while hosing down the walls shouldn't do anything about the inside air in the short term, it might make a difference over the across the rest of the day and night.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Is there a free and relatively simple website service that can show videos on the page? It’s fine if it’s just a youtube or Vimeo box.

I tried using Wordpress but it requires a 12 month subscription for showing video or getting an extension that will do the same.

If you've got access to the HTML, you can just copy&paste it in there through an iframe. Youtube has a feature where if you click on "share" and them "embed", it will generate a code snippet that you can just plop into your site.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

!Klams posted:

If I'm travelling to Germany, from the UK, what do I need to do re: Covid, for going there and coming back?

The government website seems to just keep referring me on to other pages about general info, but I'm finding it hard to actually nail down what exactly I have to do?

/Edit: It seems like, just having the NHS App with my test details is fine for getting in, and also to going to restaurants?

Coming home actually seems like the hard one, where I have to book a test 48 hours before I travel, and then fill out a form saying I've booked a test?

Is that everything?

The page you're looking for should be this one: https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/en/coronavirus/2317268. Looks like for the UK, proof of vaccination may be required since it's no longer part of the EU or Schengen. As it is currently considered a high-risk area, you'll also need to register your arrival ahead of time.

Within Germany proper, most places now work off of either a "3G" or "2G" ruleset for public venues like hotels or restaurants, depending on the state you'll travel to. 3G means you'll need to show either a current-day negative test, proof of vaccination, or proof of recovery to be allowed in. 2G only accepts either vaccination or recovery. Also note that places that require masks (i.e. just about any indoor venue) only accept medical masks or FFP2 masks, simple cloth masks aren't enough.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Tiggum posted:

Two questions:

1: How do you clean/unclog this type of drain? I've recently moved into a flat that has them in the bathrooms and I've no idea how to deal with it.

I've got similar plugs and can just pull them out, then clean their underside and the drain itself as normal. If it's stuck in place, try rotating it until they come out. Also yeah, just plain drain cleaner right in there tends to work just fine.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 09:54 on May 11, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evilreaver posted:

I'm writing a sci-fi book (right now more like a handful of short stories) and while describing the setting to a friend, I came across a mental block.

I have a faction of 'evolved humans', using advanced technology/geneboosting to become superhuman in every aspect. They have a collective subconsciousness or hive mind-- but every individual retains their individuality, can 'tune out' the collective, and even hide their personal thoughts from their hive if they wish. I'm not aware of another sci-fi group that shares these traits (the evolved human bit, sure, but the individualist hive mind bit I'm drawing a blank)

My other group is a tiny community (40-70) of AIs who control a legion of drone pawns (5M+). The drones have simplistic, basic programming (like self-driving cars), but the AIs have the ability to 'jump to' a group (or single) drone(s) and micromanage them if they so desire. The drones don't talk to each other because they lack the capacity for thought; the AIs all live in server clusters at home and aren't mobile. [The AIs all distrust each other and have lots of blocks/pacts to police who has control of which drone at what time, but are terrified of humanity and thus are banded together] I'm not aware of a scifi group that follows this schematic either.

I am CERTAIN I got these ideas from somewhere and it's driving me nuts!

Nighthand posted:

The AI faction kind of sounds like mass effect Geth, but also I feel like I've heard similar elsewhere too.

That was also a thing in Mass Effect 2. There was an partly insectoid/humanoid race called the Collectors, under the control of a small cabal of ancient artificial entities called Reapers. In particular, one of those Reapers would occasionally assume direct control of a given Collector and fight you directly, becoming a more dangerous enemy in the process:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3h8ZnXLsRg

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

If the colour of light emitted by hot objects is based on their temperature and nothing else, and orange is around ~1500 kelvins, does that really mean the heating element of toasters get that hot? That sounds really high!

They do! A relevant factor that's easy to overlook here is thermal mass. Basically, the amount of energy it takes to heat something up to a certain temperature depends on its mass, and it can take deceptively little energy to heat something with very little mass up to a surprisingly high temperature. Since the wires in your toaster's heating element are very thin, it doesn't take all that much energy to get them to that temperature, and they will also cool back down very rapidly. Another classic example is striking sparks with a flint stone: all the energy going in there is just your arms hitting the things together, but since it's all concentrated into a few tiny specks of metal flakes, those also end up with temperatures of several thousand kelvin.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

The Moon Monster posted:

Where did the "[so and so] sucked me off!?" meme come from?

Apparently this tweet is the origin, making fun of youtuber clickbait titles:

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/uber-driver-sucked-me-off

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dave Syndrome posted:

Is there a medical term for the phenomenon that your tongue acts like, for lack of a better term, a "tactile magnifying glass"?

Like when you touch something in your mouth (a cavity, something stuck between your teeth, whatever) with the tip of your tongue, it feels a lot bigger than when you actually touch it with your fingers.

I suppose it has to do with the fact that your tongue has a lot more nerve endings than your finger, but I've never read a scientific explanation.

A useful keyword for this phenomenon is "Sensory Homunculus" or "Cortical Homunculus", which are visual representations of the tactile acuity of various body parts. The basic underlying mechanism of it seems to be how the signals from the nerves are mapped to parts of the brain. The greater the brain space devoted to a given body part, the more detailed the tactile information from it will feel. So your hands, mouth, and tongue have a relatively large area devoted to them, whereas elbows or shins have relatively less.

The visualizations for this kind of thing are also pretty funky:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

10dishOkiku posted:

I have a small boat/ship question. I'm researching small ships like trimarans or other multihull ships for an ocean-based ttrpg. Sometimes a photo of a trimaran will have netting over the main body to an outrigger (the arms on the side, if I have misunderstood that term). Other small ships will have this, too. What is the point of the netting? What is it used for? Why is it on sometimes and not other times?

Any answers or places to find answers are greatly appreciated.

It's mostly just a safety measure. In a smaller cata/trimaran in strong winds, it's not at all uncommon for one of the outriggers to be lifted up out of the water, rolling the entire ship. In that case you may want people to go and sit on the outrigger to act as a counterweight (as the ship will usually go faster the more upright it remains), so there's a risk for people to lose their footing and fall into the space between the main hull and outrigger. In more sporty ships people will usually be harnessed directly to a line to prevent that from happening, so that may be one reason why you might not see them.

Apart from that, if you're doing more of a pleasure cruise kinda thing, they're basically a comfy hammock to chill in when you're at anchor.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

friction with the ground is actually the same, since it scales with weight. an 8x heavier car will experience 8x as much friction force.
air resistance is less impactful for larger things due to the square-cube law. a car that is 2x as long has 4x as much surface area for air resistance and has 8x as much mass, so the end result is that air resistance is half as effective at slowing it down

of course this is assuming your power source is also scaling up with the car. it's true that a bigger car will have more friction in an absolute sense, so if you try to stick the same 1/8th size motor from the small car on it probably won't be able to overcome static friction and move at all

Though as I understand the question, it's not just the size/mass that increases, it's velocity as well. That toy car is doing e.g. 10 laps a second on a circuit that's about a meter long, so give or take 10 m/s velocity. Scale that up by a factor of 10 to get closer to a real car size, and now it'd need to do 10 laps a second on a circuit ten meters long, so that'd be 100 m/s velocity. Air friction scales to the square of velocity in addition to surface, so I think your mass and momentum would be increasing at a slower rate than the air resistance at least. Presumably similar with ground resistance, though there mass would be a bigger factor than surface area.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Dec 11, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hyperlynx posted:

Are there consistent rules in German for when a consonant sound is guttural or not, or is it an idiot bastard "you just need to learn how the word is pronounced" language like English?

I swear I've seen/heard ch and g both pronounced as either /χ/ or /ʃ/ , sometimes even in the same word. Case study:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1coEIN7safI

I swear the pronunciation of "richtig" shifts between /χ/ and /ʃ/ on the "ch", and /χ/ and /g/ on the "g" (e: unless they're actually code switching and saying "really" in English, with an accent?! To my anglophone ear, that's how the phonemes register in lots of cases).

Is that how it is, and it's just like English in terms of inconsistent pronunciation of letters, or is my ear off? I swear I've heard "ich" pronounced as both /ɪʃ/ and /ɪχ/ in different instances!

Paging Antigravitas!

It's mostly a dialect thing. The "proper" (and I cannot emphasize how big those :airquote: are) way to pronounce it is how you put it first, that is with a /χ/ on the "ch" and a /g/ on the "ig". However in casual speech many people relax the pronunciation on the "ig" so it comes out more like another /χ/, which goes for many words that end on "ig" (mächtig, prächtig, nichtig, etc...). Lots of people just find it comes out of the mouth easier that way, rather than having to enunciate the hard /g/. As such it's a fairly common thing, to the point where in practice the pronunciation on that is basically interchangeable.

The "ch" is more of a regional issue. Again, "properly" it's a /χ/, but e.g. around Berlin it often morphs into a /k/ when at the beginning or end of a word (e.g /iχ/ to /ik/ for "ich"). And elsewhere, like towards the east, it goes closer to a /ʃ/. That in turn can lead to a combo-substitution, where on an "ig" ending you go from /ɪg/ to /ɪχ/ to /ɪʃ/. Language is terrible :allears:

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Dec 29, 2022

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

This feels extra trivial, but I just can't seem to find the right search terms. Is there a specific term for this kind of rubber cap?

They go over this adjustable spacer in order to prevent scratches on surfaces, and of course I've lost one so I'm looking for a replacement. The exterior diameter is about 25mm and the interior one about 16mm, which seems like it's probably an imperial standard.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

Is it a rubber washer?

That was what I thought as well, but regular washers seem to be entirely flat and solid. These things meanwhile are partially hollow have a kind of lip to fit around the metal ring, more like a sleeve.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, a while back I upgraded from my lovely uni ikea bed to something with a bit more quality, and I was surprised how convenient and pleasant it can be to have the whole thing a bit higher (about knee height for me). It lets me roll right out of bed into a standing position in one easy motion.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Trapick posted:

Companies can do stock buybacks and hold that as treasury stock for future sale/re-issue, which is kinda like owning pieces of itself, but yeah, it's all ultimately owned by the shareholders.

For the bankruptcy bit, at least in Canada/USA, as long as it's a proper corporation and the (private) owners haven't been doing some real hinky poo poo, it's pretty much unheard of to pierce the corporate veil like that. But yeah Europe ymmv.

As far as I know in Europe it generally depends on the terms of the incorporation. E.g. in Germany one of the most common types of company is a "GmbH", which basically translates to "company with limited liability". It basically does what it says on the tin, limiting any liability solely to the company's assets while protecting the owner(s), but it also has additional requirements such as a having minimum amount of capital to put on its books before you're allowed to found it. But conversely there are also other types of companies that may be easier to found, but may lead to the owner(s) potentially being personally liable.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

credburn posted:

Anecdotal, but when I get migraines I don't feel a "headache." Instead I get weird shimmery poo poo that fucks up my vision, but I've been told it's the way a migraine manifests in some people.

I also get that particular vision thing once in a while, usually without any pain. But then again I also do (more rarely) get "regular" migraines with headaches and nausea but without any vision symptoms, so :iiam:

The vision fuckery is particularly fun/spooky in the beginning, when the vision starts going but before the flickering really starts up, because the brain is so good at filling in blind spots in your vision. So I'd be reading something, start wondering why it's going so slowly, and it'd take me a couple minutes to realise that I can't actually discern most of the letters. My brain has just been filling in the affected space with patterns that sort of look like letters, but don't actually make any sense if you try to focus on them.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I've recently put a couple of house plants on a shelf above my bed, and they're not doing so hot. Now I'm fully prepared to accept that this is just due to watering and/or sunlight levels, but I've noticed a curious thing: The leaves that stretch out above my head are particularly limp and discoloured, whereas those that go towards the side (where they would actually get less sunlight) seem to be doing better. Is that just a coincidence, or is there something in my/humans' night breath that will just murder plants?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

shirunei posted:

What is the use of a VR headset in a like practical sense? It would be useful for a desktop to get all comfy while working except you still need to sit in front of a kb/m to get anything done. I'm guessing it's purely for gaming but is it a fundamentally different gaming experience vs. monitors?

n-thing the responses iterating that in its current form it's mostly for gaming and media consumption, where it does offer something pretty unique. Back in uni I was part of a study trying to gauge whether VR could improve the workflow doing 3D modelling stuff, since that seemed like a natural fit. Unfortunately that turned out to be a nope, gaining real-time 3D vision of what you're working on is a fairly minor advantage that didn't really make up for the drawbacks like no longer having the keyboard in your peripheral vision (hotkeys are important) or the lowered effective resolution.

There's probably a greater case for digital 3D sculpting (as opposed to the polygonal modelling I was doing), but there too the workflow for doing it in 2D has been optimized so much for so long that there's a big uphill climb until VR can offer something that's truly superior.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Apr 25, 2024