Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

El Jeffe posted:

I've got some B12 supplements that contain about 42,000% the daily value per pill. Why put so much in it? Is B12 so cheap that an inert filler would actually be more expensive or something?
Normal B12 absorption is an active process. Some cells in your stomach emit a protein (Intrinsic factor) that binds to B12 and protects it from acid degradation. That complex goes down into your small intestines. Another protein secreted from your pancreas attaches to it and modifies it. The modified complex is actively grabbed and pumped across the intestinal membrane by cells in a region at the end of your small intestine, then the whole thing is taken back apart into free B12 bloodside. You are very good at scavenging relatively small amounts of B12 and absorbing them, so you don't need to eat much.

Lots of diseases can break various parts of that process, leading to pernicious anemia because you don't have enough B12 to make red blood cells. A little bit of passive absorption still happens though (~1% of the healthy rate) and you can easily pee out excess, so you can treat anything that breaks the active mechanism by just throwing 1000X amounts at it, getting a few ug passively absorbed, and pooping out 99% of the ingested B12.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

BonHair posted:

Do you have an oven that goes to 400, is it good, what does your pizzas look like and what kind is it?
Kiln-cast glass thread from DIY

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Electric toothbrushes are roughly equivalent to manual if you hold everything else constant and study rates of tooth/gum disease.

If you compare a group told to brush their teeth with a manual toothbrush to a group told to use an electric toothbrush with a built in 2min timer, the electric is better.

Most of the value is from the timer, people won't actually brush long enough on their own. An electric toothbrush is a fine package for a timer though.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Tradition, mostly.

Back when photography was hard and complicated, newspapers still wanted pictures to go with stories about trials.

So they'd hire an artist to sit in the public area and quick sketch (mostly line drawings since they'd go into black and white). Judges didn't like it, but lost the legal fight about kicking them out as long as it wasn't disruptive. Artists switched to pastels when papers became able to do color since they're still fast, and that's the modern style. They're in court as members of the public, not part of the court infrastructure

It hasn't been that long since cameras could silently take good pictures without any flash, and there's inertia plus some courts still ban photography

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Silver Falcon posted:

Room is the easiest one. A contained space, like in your house. May or may not have something in it!

Room is more indirect, I think. It's a spelunking term for an open area inside a cave. Then it got into games via intended-as-caving-slang descriptions in ADVENT/Collasal Cave back on 1970s mainframe computers ("You are in a large room. Crawls lead northwest and south"), and then genericized

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

dupersaurus posted:

Your employer is paying part of the monthly premium, and maybe negotiated a better price

80% employer paid, 20% employee paid is typical. https://www.bls.gov/news.release/ebs2.t03.htm

Some states also require at least 50% employer paid, and there's some ACA/IRS things that also kick in for employer penalties/credits for being over/under 50%

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

two fish posted:

Remember back in the 90s when you'd see all those rebate offers on the PC game boxes?

Why did they do that instead of just discounting the game, was it just to get your data?
No, it's much simpler.

If you discount the game, everybody pays less. If you do a mail in rebate, lots of people won't bother to send it in, wait a month or two, then deposit the check, so you get more money.

It's a method for economics 101 price discrimination: charge everybody the highest price they are willing to pay. You still make sales to people who are very price sensitive and wouldn't buy it without the rebate, and still mostly charge higher prices to people who don't care enough to go through the trouble.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Why are some people so adamant about using tap vs. chip on cc readers? For context, the chip readers at my job are 100% functional, but the tap reader is hit or miss. So I end up having this conversation a jillion times a day:

Customer: Will this do tap?
Me: Chip is most reliable, you can go ahead and insert your card.
C: [taps anyway]
-- 30 seconds pass --
Me: Yeah, it's not taking. Put your card in.
C: [starts furiously swirling the card over the whole screen] It says I can tap!
Me: Yes, but it doesn't always work. Go ahead and insert the card.
C sighs heavily, puts card in, transaction concludes.

Like, it takes literally the same amount of time and effort to just use chip, why do people think tap is easier/quicker/whatever and insist on it?
The chips in every credit card I've had with one have stopped reading well after a year or two. Most/all presumably functioning readers will just beep read errors at it until they give up and want a swipe instead. So even if you tell me your chip reader works but tap reader is hit or miss, I'm still going to try tap first since I know my side of the chip reader almost never works.

alnilam posted:

Point of sale systems are expensive as gently caress and as long as the old way was working well enough, i have to imagine it was pretty low priority to change over.

If I had to guess why other countries changed so much earlier, I would guess government policy forced their hand in some way. I'd be curious to know if anyone knows more though.
It's largely from regulations around fraud and who has the burden of proof.

Originally everywhere (in the days of swipe/number only) it was "If the cardholder disputes a transaction, it gets reversed unless the retailer/bank can prove that they actually did it"

Chip+PIN adoption in the Europe was done alongside regulation changes to "If it was a swipe transaction, old rule still applies. If it was a chip+PIN transaction, burden of proof is reversed and the cardholder is liable unless they can actively prove it wasn't them".
That makes spending money on a new POS system more attractive since you get to shed liability as well as reducing fraud costs.

In the US, the government didn't allow switching the burden of proof like that. So the cost/benefit for replacing POS systems didn't have the liability shifting part, just "Is the amount of fraud this will prevent more expensive than the POS cost?", so adoption took longer.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

for whites => has bleach or a bleachlike in it that will attack color dyes. Use on white cloth only. Will whiten it.
for colors => doesn't have bleach/bleachlikes. Use on either white or dyed cloth. Won't whiten it, your white shirts will tend towards gray/yellow over time.
for whites and colors => has a bleachlike in it that is supposed to not attack common color dyes, only other stains. Use on either white or dyed cloth. Will whiten your white shirts, hopefully won't mess up your colored shirts.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

since celiac is a problem with your dna not creating a certain protein correctly, is it possible to have just a mild case of celiac or is it an all-or-nothing thing
There's multiple genes involved. Most people with celiac have a particular form of one surface protein gene, but having that on it's own isn't sufficient, there are also others needed.

And the actual disease requires producing anti-self antibodies, which may not happen even if you have genetic vulnerability. The antibody level will also influence disease severity; as you go without eating gluten, antibody levels drop. When doing blood testing (looking for anti tissue transglutaminase antibodies), you need the person to have been regularly eating wheat prior. If they're already gluten-free, it will be falsely negative. Symptomatically, somebody with celiac who eats gluten rarely (like multiple months between) will have less bad symptoms on the same exposure than someone who eats it every day because antibody levels won't have upregulated as much.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

They would like you to stay back, because if there is no actual damage, there is no damage for them to be liable for. They are still liable for damage caused by improperly secured loads.
Phrasing it as 'we are not responsible for' is a lie, but there's no law against lying and it might get people to comply

Example law from California:

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Earwicker posted:

what are the consequences of life without an upper second molar?

(please do not respond if you work in the american dental implant industry)
I think the tooth on the opposite side can get messed up because there's nothing to oppose it, but may that only happens while they're both growing in and not after

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

lobsterminator posted:

Not sure how correct it is but the IMDB format is pretty straightforward regarding any type of name changes, so they have the current name and "credited as" if it appeared in the movie. Which would be B in your example, but maybe the simple "as" wording is better than "then known as".

IMDB is copying union credit rules, which are a whole negotiated and inflexible thing

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Killingyouguy! posted:

Why are whole blood and plasma two different types of blood donation? If they need plasma can't they extract it from the blood in the bank?
Whole blood donations will get taken apart and split into component products (packed red cells, plasma) for medical use.

Whole blood donation frequency and how much you can take at once is limited by the person needing to keep enough red cells, and time to remake them before the next one. If you take only plasma at donation time instead of RBCs too, you can get more plasma at once, as well as donate again sooner since it's faster to regenerate.

If demand for plasma is higher than the normal plasma:RBC ratio, some plasma only donations will fill that better

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 19, 2023

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

do it work tho

always been skeptical about infomercials
So you're asking if there's a better way?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Preemergance seeds use gravity to know which way the stem should grow

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

ATP is pretty crap as far as energy density goes and also has osmotic problems since it's a bunch of individual molecules, which is why it's not really used for energy storage by living things.

Polymers (fats, starches, glycogen, ...) are more common for long term storage and glucose for short term storage.

Your assassin monster doesn't need a digestive system, but it should still have a liver for metabolism between energy stores and a respiratory system so it doesn't have to carry its own oxidizer (like jet engine vs rocket engine efficiency differences)

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jan 9, 2024

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

My understanding is that LED lights emit little to no UV radiation.
This is not generally true. LEDs emit relatively narrow wavelength ranges. That range can be in UV by design. Some colors of 'LED' lights are essentially a fluorescent light: a UV emitting LED inside a fluorescent phosphor covered case. Some UV will leak.

More relevantly for your plan, a good grow light will intentionally include a UV component because that's beneficial for plant health.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

YggiDee posted:

I've got a little desk that rolls over my bed, like so:
it works for 80% of my purposes but it's also way too easy to topple over, is there a good way to stabilize it? can I just tape some weights to the bottom or something?
Pull the top part off so you can get at the tube insides, then pour a bunch of gravel or something heavy to fill the horizontal tube at the bottom

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I doubt you'll find a much cheaper car+driver hire than that $450. There probably isn't a paying fare on the way back. 225 miles there-and-back at $0.67/mile IRS mileage rates is ballpark $300 for car costs. $150/8 hour round trip drive time is about $19/hour. There's not much room to undercut and be dramatically cheaper, even if it's just a guy who owns and operates his own car.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Fruits of the sea posted:

Yeah, IIRC there are some amino acids and vitamins (B?) that can be lacking if you're not balancing a soy-based diet with enough other foods. Haven't heard of anybody having complications because of it that weren't due to a poorly thought out diet.
The main vitamin problem for vegans is B12, which has no adequate natural vegan sources. It is cheap and easy to supplement though.

Soy on its own is good enough in all essential amino acids, you are fine with it as your major/only protein source

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Traditional fermented vegetarian foods like kimchi, saurkraut, pickles, or whatever don't contain useful amounts of B12. Modern supplements are from isolating and culturing particular bacterial strains. Getting enough on a strict vegan diet pretty much doesn't happen without modern technology.

Veganism is rare to nonexistent historically outside of subgroups like ascetic monks where poor health was expected. The taditional Jain or Buddhist diet is lacto-vegetarianism, not veganism

e: most seaweed species have no useful B12 for mammals. They have a similar structure molecule that can be used similarly by other species, but mammals don't have a pathway to utilize

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 14, 2024

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What's the best way to store a bunch of hats?

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Atahualpa posted:

It's especially good to know that you can still get the Vitamin D benefits in the shade, since I live somewhere that gets 100+ degree temperatures for 3-4 months each year.
If you're concerned and live somewhere that doesn't fortify food, is there a reason you don't supplement instead? There's a big gap between RDA and UL for vitamin D, so it's not hard to ensure adequate intake without risking overdose. Just don't be one of the idiots that assumes "more is better" and takes 5000 IU/day.

It's probably better to wear sunscreen and get vitamin D from food/supplements instead of UV to avoid skin cancer risk

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Shelter as best you can. Hospitals are generally built so that collapse isn't a huge risk, and ORs aren't going to be exterior anyway.

Plans for most places are public if you want to read. Here's the University of Toledo hospital's for example. They get patients away from windows and into bathrooms to shelter in each ward.

Foxfire_ fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Feb 29, 2024

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

B12 uptake is active, complicated, and very efficient. Dedicated B12 supplement doses are sized to get sufficient uptake even when all that machinery is broken.

A protein in spit binds to B12 and protects it from stomach acid. Past the stomach, a pancreatic enzyme splits that apart, and it binds to a different protein that was secreted by stomach cells. Then that complex gets actively pumped across the membranes of specific cells located at the end of the small intestine.

The common way B12 deficiency happens is that something is broken in that process, usually autoimmune disease in the stomach/pancreas/terminal illeum, not from insufficient vitamin in food (unless you're a vegan)

You treat deficiency by not relying on normal uptake and just hucking massive amounts of vitamin at the problem. About 1% or so will survive the stomach and be absorbed passively. Excess B12 gets peed out, so it's not a problem if someone with a functional B12 absorption system eats it.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

My Pixel 3 phone no longer accepts being plugged into my car. It can still access the audio system over bluetooth, but it can't charge or show navigation on the car's main display. I assume this is down to the phone's USB-C port degrading with age, since the connection was kinda crotchety for awhile, and I've tried using a different cable to no avail. Similarly, cleaning out the port with air from a squeeze bulb hasn't helped.
It's most likely just compacted lint. Blowing air won't get that out. You want some stiff pointy nonconductive thing to scrape against the bottom of the port. Zip cut at an angle to make a point work well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Mister Speaker posted:

I opened a beer can that had been bouncing around in my bag and had a weird train of thought, from a really dumb question to one or two that aren't so dumb.

So the first, dumbest question I think I already got: Why does the beer do that, is it because the gas pocket gets sloshed around and exacerbates the carbonation somehow? If you could completely fill the can would the liquid even be able to slosh around in itself and prevent fizzing? Well no, right? Because the beer is already carbonated on its own.
An unopened beer or soda has some gas space inside it. When you shake an unopened can, the gas bubble gets shaken around and goes from one big bubble into lots of little bubbles that stick on the sides or bottom. They will eventually merge together, but if you open it before that happens, you drop the pressure and all those tiny bubbles on the sides very rapidly become big bubbles.

Avoiding any gas space would be hard to do. The solubility of gases in liquids depends on temperature (more gas dissolves when cold) and pressure (more gas dissolves under higher pressure). The cans are filled with very cold liquid and high CO2 pressures. Even if you completely filled it with liquid initially, some gas would come out of solution if it warmed up at all. But if you did manage no/little gas space so that there were no tiny bubbles when you shook it, it wouldn't explode if you opened it afterwards

Mister Speaker posted:

But that got me thinking of fluid dynamics, I guess. Liquids cannot be compressed but gases can, right? So yeah, that second question again but about a theoretical container whose entire volume is 100% absolutely full of some inert fluid like water, what's going on in there when the container is moved around? Molecules will certainly be moving about but would there be any momentum to it, like the sloshing when you shake a half-full bottle of something?
Water will still move around in an entirely full bottle. And shaking it will move more. Think about (or :science:) if you had a completely full water bottle and then added a drop of food coloring, then capped it. The color will slowly diffuse through it, and if you shake it, it will spread faster.

Mister Speaker posted:

But that got me thinking of fluid dynamics, I guess. Liquids cannot be compressed but gases can, right? So yeah, that second question again but about a theoretical container whose entire volume is 100% That all sounds very dumb and yes I was (and am) high but it ended up in a more general question about using fluids to do work: Why do we use both hydraulic and pneumatic systems, and in what situations are either more appropriate?
Pneumatic tools are generally easier to make and cheaper. The plumbing is also cheaper & simpler. The hose leading to something like a nail gun, impact wrench, or dental drill is a single tube bringing in high pressure air, the air acts in the tool, and the waste low pressure air exhausts to atmosphere. Hydraulics need to capture their waste and route it back to the tank for reuse so the internals are more complicated and you need separate supply and return tubing.

The main advantage for hydraulics is that it's much easier to make a high pressure pump for incompressible fluids, so you can have a much higher working pressure and transfer more power more easily. 10,000psi working pressure is common in hydraulic systems, pneumatics are more typically around 70-100