Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

toanoradian posted:

There's a flag-raising ceremony in American schools, yeah? Where you raise the country's flag, sing its anthem, then listen to the principal's speech, maybe have a salute and listen to the opening of your constitution? Is there a 'flag-raising' club? As in, a club that deals with the intricacies and rules of folding, unfolding a flag, attaching the ropes to them, the proper way to hold a rope and the rate at which you should pull and let the flag up, in time with the national anthem sung by the choir?

Kinda to not really. We universally do the Pledge of Allegiance (usually broadcast over the school intercom, accompanied by some announcements) at the start of the day, and each classroom has a little flag to do it to. My elementary school had a flag outside, though, but there wasn't much ceremony to it. The school had a system of student hall monitors, and every morning and afternoon a few students (four I think?) from the group would go outside and raise and lower the flag according to the proper protocols (never let it touch the ground, and fold it into a triangle, but that's it). It was just them doing it all on their own, no other ceremony to it. ROTC (being military) probably did the same at my first high school with much more formality, but I can't speak to junior high or my second high school.

Edit:

Thanatosian posted:

This is wholly accurate. And yeah, caroling is a thing.

You forgot all the Manheim Steamroller :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

hooah posted:

I bought them at a Marine Corps Exchange two or three years ago, so I don't remember if they were indeed polarized. I guess that's what I get, oh well.

The polarized oakleys are a bit more expensive than not. I bought a couple of lenses recently: $80-something for non and $170 or so for polarized. But the instructions I got for treatment suggests that the polarization they use is susceptible to wearing off if not taken care of.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I want to actually read the Bible, what is the most complete version? KJV or NIV? I want something as original as possible.

You might want to check out this thread, there's been discussions on the different translations and what's behind them:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3556458

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

Bank transfers in the UK. Any recurring payments are usually direct debits too.

A related question for US goons:

In a lot of US media people always tend to be using credit cards rather than debit cards, are debit cards unpopular/uncommon in the US?

I have a debit card and use it a bunch for smaller, everyday stuff, but my understanding that it's generally better to use a credit card for most stuff since there's more protection behind them if the card is lost or stolen, or if there's a problem with the merchant. Granted, the couple of times there has been issues with my debit card the bank was quick to refund and fix it, but that might not be universal.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

kedo posted:

She's probably full of poo poo. The majority of federally funded works are not copyright protected. Legally, you can just take and use and upload the image to Wikimedia Commons yourself, if you want. (e: IANAL, do so at your own discretion)

She's probably trying to protect it from being reproduced as best she can, knowing that she can't. Either that or she's worried about getting in trouble at work or something.

Baron Bifford posted:

I suspect this to be the case, however I need her to change the copyright status on the Flickr page, otherwise the Wikimedia admins will reject the image when they check up on it.

Her precise words were "No, it wasn't a government project. My work is federally funded."

Even then, if someone paid her with federal funds to take the picture, that probably qualifies as a "that's not my decision to make" situation. If you absolutely HAVE to have that picture, then you'd have to pry out who paid her to take it and ask them for the permission.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

hoobajoo posted:

Is there a distinction between mighty American 'que and like, smoked hams or salmon?

BBQ is pretty much universally slow-cooked pork (in some places the whole pig all at once) although Texas does beef but who really listens to Texas anyway? (yeah yeah, beef brisket is good too whatever) What really makes it BBQ and not just slow-cooked meat is the sauce or rub, but that varies by region, and trying to make an argument on which is best will ignite a holy war on the level of :godwin: (the best is vinegar-based).

Edit: Generic "BBQ" in a place without a local style is probably some variation of the Kansas City style, where the sauce is thick, sticky, and tomato-y, with lots of different types of meat.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 4, 2013

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Alkanos posted:

Theoretically, maybe? Some of our DNA isn't very important, so filling in the blanks might make our skin a bit more pink than naturally. Of course, if it was in important bit, like how your heart is built, then you're kinda screwed.

Even then, I think we're learning more and more that while noncoding DNA isn't making proteins, a lot of it helps with transcription and other aspects of making the machine run. Get one letter wrong in a supposedly "junk" section and suddenly everything is whack because, while that letter wasn't in itself making proteins, the bits that do were relying on that letter being there.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Tiggum posted:

When you post a link on Facebook, it lets you pick an image from the site as a preview, but is there any way to tell how it's actually going to look when it's posted? What determines if you get a square thumbnail or rectangular cropped image? With the cropped images, can you make it use a particular part of the image? I posted a link on my Facebook which had this image as its preview, and as I wrote the post it looked like it would use the top section of the image, which was fine, but then when I actually posted it what appeared was a cropped version starting just below her head, which was not how I wanted it to look.

You're stuck with what facebook wants to post, but I'm not entirely sure about how it decides whether to use a big or small preview. If the image isn't big enough for the big preview I'm pretty sure it'll always use the small. Otherwise, looking at links in my feed it looks like more prominent sites might be preference for big previews.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Ezzer posted:

For the computer nerds out there, how come I sometimes see things pertaining to 32-bit versions of software labeled "x86" when the 64-bit versions are just labeled "64"? Why not just say 32?

x86 is the name of the old Intel 16-bit architecture (for the chip, 8086) that was extended to 32-bits. When they extended it to 64-bit they called it x86-64

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Nition posted:

Does anyone know about car air con systems? I'd like to know which is more efficient in a typical car: Turning the air con on and off, or turning the temperature up? The manual never gets that specific.

Assume that for option one I leave the temperature dial on minimum (non-climate controlled car) but press the AC button periodically.

For option two I leave the AC on but move the temperature dial up a little, resulting in the same average temperature as option one.

The problem is I don't know enough about how a car's air con works to know which is better. I can guess two key questions:
  • When you turn the temp dial up above the coldest, does the AC do less work or does it just let some hot air in from the engine?
  • How long would the AC need to be off before the on/off method is more efficient than leaving it on?

I'm pretty sure you've got it right on the first point, it's just a matter of mixing. A car AC is just like your home AC, and your home AC is either on or off, depending on what the thermostat says. So, theoretically, it'd be more efficient to follow that pattern on your own (unless you've got an automated climate control system, which might do it on its own), but I kinda doubt it'd be terribly significant.

(Bonus fact: the speed at which opening the windows becomes a greater impact on efficiency than the AC is apparently somewhere in the 40s (mph), depending on how aerodynamic your car is).

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

OK, so the moisture of the wet towel absorbs some of the radiator's heat. That's acceptable. But once it is dried out it shouldn't have any effect any more, right? The radiator can operate just as efficiently with a dry towel over it, right? The towel does not completely cover it.

NB: I have large water radiators.

The radiator also relies on heating air flowing through it, and stuff on the radiator can inhibit that air flow.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Dr. Video Games 0089 posted:

This has happened to me a couple times now when it comes to tipping at restaurants.

I pay the bill with my credit card and get a receipt to sign. If the bill is $15, I'll write $5 in the tip section and write $20 in the total section. I checked my bank account today and the restaurant only charged me $15, why didn't they include the tip?

It's just supposed to be an initial charge made when your card was swiped. Someone will later comb through the receipts to add the tips to make the official charge. You'll note that, while your bank's site will reflect charges just about immediately, they'll be noted as "pending" or something, and there will be a note that it can take a few days before the charge is actually official.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Vin BioEthanol posted:

My own question: In Texas I see cellular antennas on the larger power transmission towers. I don't ever see that at home in OK. Why is that? It seems like a win for everyone, power company basically gets free money since they had to have the tower there in the 1st place and the cellular companies I'd be almost positive get charged less rent for space on one of those than they'd pay to someone who purpose builds antenna masts.

It may also be that the transmission towers aren't near any phone lines, so in the end it's cheaper to build your own tower right on top of an existing line than it would be to run a new line to the transmission tower only for cell use.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_Germany#Names_from_Germania

The short version is that English is roughly 50/50 Romance / Germanic in origin (at least vocabulary-wise), this just happens to be one of the times that the Latin form won out (although oddly, the Romance languages don't use the Latin version themseleves)

It probably doesn't help that Germany/Deutschland as a single political entity isn't even 150 years old, and we've apparently been calling that area "Germany" since long before that.

(Edit: And yes I know about the Holy Roman Empire shut up)
(Edit 2: However, it does seem like the English names for all the HRE principalities generally match up pretty well with their native names)

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 24, 2014

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

KernelSlanders posted:

Beef vs. cowflesh is probably from the Norman conquest. Pork, venison, and beef are from French roots, whereas pig, deer, and cow are old English. One could argue English words were used by the people in the field and French words were used when it was on the plate.

It took a few hundred years for the Norman kings to really start speaking and thinking of themselves as English, and not (entirely) as should-be French kings. Until then French was the language of the court, so it's not like you'd have to argue that distinction.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I'm flat broke and need to file taxes soon. I am going to file taxes on my own, how do I do that? where do I get started?

Turbotax looks like it has a free version, but they remove the price from your tax return? I don't like that.

You can chose to have them take it from the return or to pay it on the spot with your CC. The free version is perfectly satisfactory if you've got a simple return (although having them do the state return does cost something). Took me all of 30 minutes to run through it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Yeah my tax return will probably be small? As a guess. I've got my w2s and my paystubs I can look online, so that's all I really need right?

Simple in this case means how many deductions you'll be claiming. If the answer is "none" then that's all you need. If it's "some" then you'll probably have documentation for the ones that need it, and any program worth it (including the TT free, but there's bound to be others) will run you through them.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Why are new typewriters still produced? Are there some places where they have to be used or something?

If you're really paranoid, stuff typed on them is harder to snoop on than electronic messages. There was a story last year (I think) about how some super secret areas in the Russian government only use them for that reason, but who knows how real that is.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

DNova posted:

That's bullshit. With modern typewriter ribbons, you can literally just read what was typed by unspooling the used part and looking at it.

With cloth ribbons (old style), forensics is still possible sometimes but more difficult.

Harder in the sense that you have to have physical access to the ribbon to read it, as opposed to being able to potentially gain remote access to read something off of a computer. But, like I said, I don't know how much of a concern or a reality that really is.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Baldbeard posted:

From what I understand, the common cold is pretty much harmless, and most of our symptoms are from our own body overreacting. Does this mean someone who gets a lot of colds actually has a healthier immune system since they put up the biggest fight? I haven't gotten sick in like 5 years, even though I've been in environment where everyone around me has a cold -- does that mean I'm lucky? Healthy? Unhealthy?

Namarrgon posted:

There are about 250 strains of the common cold, it seems more likely that for some reason you've already had the one that your peers are suffering from.

So, in general; lucky.

The symptoms are the side effects of your body fighting off the infection. As you get older you generally get fewer colds since you gain immunity from each strain once you get it, so there's a difference between the immune system killing it before it takes hold, and the immune system going :supaburn: to fight it off.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Methanar posted:

Nope. It's absolutely retarded that you need to go through itunes to do anything.

I hate my friend for using this ipad and then making me get movies on it for him.

I don't know if you can save directly to the device with it, but there's always Dropbox. And the VLC app has functions for FTP and some other stuff.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

I keep a stash of diphenhydramine around for emergencies, but it's really only 50/50 on whether it'll actually work, and even if it does, it tends to make waking up really crappy.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Tiggum posted:

From the schadenfreude thread

I'm very confused by this. This is a private company that can not only issue fines to the owners of cars parked on the street because the people who own the nearby houses say so, but can also confiscate people's cars? How is that legal?

Home Owners Association. If you move into a neighborhood run by one (usually those big subdivisions out in suburbia), they set the rules, such as parking restrictions. Kind of like a mini-government. To even buy or move into the house, you have to sign agreements to abide by the rules.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Except that if he hadn't moved the car it would have been towed away. Even if immobilising it is, by some technicality, not confiscating it, towing it away surely is.

How can they set parking restrictions for a neighbourhood though? Not everyone who drives or parks there will have signed the agreement. If I park in my neighbour's space in the parking lot then they can have my car removed, but if I park on the street then it's up to the police if I'm parked illegally.

It's all private property (even the roads) and they're the boss of the common areas. Especially a gated community like that.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

alnilam posted:

I don't agree with it and I'd never live in a place with an HOA, but the reasoning is this: (big air quotes around "well kept lawns" because gently caress suburban lawn culture, ugh)

At best, it's about preserving property/resale value. "People who buy houses here like to see 'well-kept' yards and houses as a sign of a healthy, safe neighborhood. If some ne'er-do-well youngins move in and make the place look ugly, those people will be less interested in buying here. We don't want our property value to go down, and we're fine with keeping our lawn 'tidy,' so an HOA is probably a good thing."

At worst, and probably also fairly common, the person wanting an HOA is the same :argh: person who wouldn't buy a house there if they saw some ne'er-do-well youngins who did wild things like paint the house a fun color or plant some vegetables in the front yard, and so they also don't want to see that happen while they live there. To protect their community's god-given decency and in the name of the american dream, they sign their rights away to an HOA which they are also part of.

Basically HOAs are like a modern example of social contract theory, except the state-of-nature in this case is "ugly house nearby" instead of "nasty brutish and short."

To be fair, HOAs do also do some good things, like fund and run community centers (pools, common areas, etc), and in-community services that the local government isn't providing because it's private property (garbage, road maintenance). To get that, though, you sometimes have to suffer through petty wanna-be power players on the HOA board.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

Enjoy a very exciting picture of my lower left leg. I personally find it creepy that there are bones inside me and thats a picture of them.

It's even eerier if you get an MRI and can see slices of the meat in your leg

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Thauros posted:

What's the purpose of a twitter bot that randomly follows people and tweets random banal messages not directed to any user without a link to an affiliate marketing site or porn? I've had a couple follow me in the last week and I don't understand how this would possibly make money for anyone.

Like all internet advertising, the cost is so cheap that the 0.01% of cases where they actually get a click makes it worth it.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Raimundus posted:

I own a pair of prescription glasses already (Ray-Bans), but they're for casual use. I want something that can take hard knock and won't fall off my head if I'm running/climbing/riding. I've seen frames with straps and frames with longer, rubberized arms, but I don't know what to look for in brands and pricing. The LensCrafters where I bought my current pair of glasses had a limited to non-existent selection of sports frames.

You might try some other places. My place is a more local place and they have a pretty good selection from what I've seen.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

terre packet posted:

Why do I see patterns in the windshields of expensive cars (usually Mercedes and BMWs) while wearing polarized sunglasses? It's almost a Moire pattern.

You're seeing the internal stresses of tempered glass, which all cars have in the sides and rear.

Edit: missed the "windshields" part. Could be some kind of coating for some special feature.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Wyatt posted:

You were right. While the character substitution alone doesn't do much (apart from satisfying the annoying requirement of having one uppercase and one special character), linking together words absolutely does. Relevant XKCD.

That xkcd's assuming brute force cracking character-by-character. A dictionary-based attack cuts some time out because it's using actual words, and the set of "collection of character that make words" is significantly smaller than the set of "all possible character combinations"

Edit: That's not to say that stringing together a password with lots of words isn't good, it's just not nearly as good as that comic suggests. Really the only secure password is something long and completely random, like you can get from stuff like 1password.

dupersaurus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 26, 2014

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

OctoberBlues posted:

You know how you sometimes get extreme wind chills - like it is 0 degrees but the wind chill is 60 below? Why can't that happen at higher temperatures? Like 80 degrees with a wind chill of 20? I assume it has something to do with the actual temperature being above/below freezing, but what's the science behind it?

Wind chill as a number is a tricky thing since it's questionably quantifiable. But, in general, it's a measure of how the wind increases the loss of heat from your body (for example, that wind chill of -60 means you'll be losing body heat as if it was -60 degrees with no wind). The catch is that heat transfer is limited, and once the outside temperature gets to a certain level, then you're not going to be losing heat from simple air transfer (ie, heat lost not through sweating), no matter how hard the wind is. So you can't have a wind chill at 80 degrees because your temperature at skin-level is only 70-75, so you're actually gaining heat from outside. You'll notice that the upper range of wind chill is close to the lower range of heat index (the relative ability of your body to cool itself).

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

How does a tsunami play out when it's running parallel (or close to) a shore? Is there no or minimized effect, or does going up the continental self somehow turn the waves into shore?

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Athanatos posted:

Is GoPro + some sort of battery extender the best way to get a 10 hour+ timelapse?

Going down a river, so not many options for power.

I haven't done any time-lapse tests with mine, but when recording 1080 the standard seems to be about 2hrs/battery (4 with the battery pack), on a GoPro2. It seems to last pretty good on standby, though, and depending on the rate, time lapse is largely standby time. There's bound to be better info on this out there on the web, maybe even here in Dorkroom or one of the tech forums.

One piece of advice, though: to be safe, get the floater. It might preclude the use of the battery pack, but no matter how much you lash it to the raft, there's always the chance it'll pop off, and a floating GoPro will be easier to find.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

To some questions, the real answer is used in the next question. Like this one:

quote:

Q: “Correct. What would you use a ripcord to pull open?”
A: “Large flies.”

Q: “Correct. What sort of person lived in Bedlam?”
A: “A parachute.”

Don't know if it means anything, though.

Edit: And the last six, I think

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

photomikey posted:

Tomorrow I'll visit the first Waffle House I've visited in years, and I may not visit another one for at least a year.

What should I have?

Hashbrowns. Everything else is debatable, but hashbrowns are non-negotiable.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

hooah posted:

For someone who hasn't played any of the Far Cry games, is 3 any good? What other game/series are they similar to?

Think Just Cause 2 but with a little more story and seriousness, and slightly less wanton carnage.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Busy Bee posted:

I'm planning on going to a location a few hours away from my house which is considered some of the best light pollution free area in the country.

What would be the best ideal time to see the stars? Full moon? No moon at all? Obviously a clear sky so I would go when the weather is supposed to be nice and clear. But besides that, anything else?

Definitely no to little moon, but there is merit to going there one time with a full moon. I'd heard of but never really believed about being able to read by the full moon, but then one full moon I was out on a beach in the middle of nowhere and holy poo poo I could see shadows.

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Mak0rz posted:

Wait this is supposed to be done after every use? Haha, whoops! I've had the thing for a year now. I'm glad it was only $15 at Shoppers Drug Mart. :sun:

Thanks for the tip.

The trimmer I have says oil every month, but it's on the pricier end, so YMMV

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

pupdive posted:

Tumblr seems to have a lot going for it including easy picture posting, which is usually the thing that gets messed up. And you can choose to disallow comments easily.

For all the crap we give the Tumblr community, the tool itself is pretty good. If you don't need any serious blogging tools, it's probably the way to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

pupdive posted:

and chasing the rabbit hole of linked articles, I come across a number of references to kya and ka in dating. Is 50-60 kya=50-60 ka= 50,000-60,000 years ago 50,000 years BC?

I think the *ya system is based on the general "right now," not the common era epoch. If you're talking about something where the difference would matter (ie, historical humanity), then you're probably using common era dates, whereas kya (and mya and bya) are for more general usage (this rock formed 63mya, Neanderthals appeared 200 kya, etc).