Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Jasper Tin Neck posted:

Doors tend to open outwards for safe evacuation in places like the Nordic countries, the Baltics, Russia, Korea and Japan.

It's not for safety. It's to prevent Kramer entrances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Are there any good female equivalents of "guy", "dude", or "man" that work for casual conversation? As in "Hey, good on you, man!"

I don't have very many cis female friends, but I've got a few friends who have recently come out as trans women. In ordinary conversation those previous terms sort of work in an "assuming male as human default" sense, which is still pretty crappy, but I especially don't want to use them with my trans friends. Actually, posting because I'm at a networking event at a pub with one of them, and I've already screwed up a few times and feel terrible for it.

"Way to go, comrade!"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Oh, no, I know that one. I was looking for a non-gendered equivalent. "Sororal" is to "sister" as "fraternal" is to "brother", but what word pairs with "sibling"?

Siblingual.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Why not?

If you use 7zip the communists win.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I'm looking for a verb meaning "to use tools". I've come up with "work", "handle", "operate", "manoeuvre" and "manipulate" but I'm not entirely happy with any of them. What other options am I missing?

Jigger. As in "I jigger the thingy with my whatchamacallit until it works"

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

Why does everyone say grocery store tomatoes taste awful? Sure they vary in quality but whenever I've had tomatoes from someone's garden they were just "good" tomatoes. Nothing life changing.

I've heard from my US friends that this is an American thing. Like US supermarkets usually had bland tasteless large tomatoes and you'd need to go to farmer's markets to get decent tomatoes. But they told me that the tomatoes in Europe tend to be good everywhere. This was a while ago so maybe that has changed or maybe that's only in some parts of the US?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

McCracAttack posted:

Absolutely. The audio quality of the voices here is actually kind of bad and hissy but you can't really hear it over the midi soundtrack so who cares.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7qBJak98cs

Sometimes good enough is good enough.

Funnily enough, the intro cutscene has the worst speech quality, because in the disk version that was the only speech in the game and they kept it the same for the CD version.

The in-game speech is better quality because it was only in the CD version.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you put weight on concrete, the top will be under compression, but the bottom will be under tension. Concrete is great under compression, but falls apart under tension. If you put rebar in it, it will compensate for this.

I've been doing it all wrong. I've been putting rhubarb into concrete for years. No wonder all those houses collapsed.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

!Klams posted:

I've sort of accidentally gone onto a one meal a day diet, and I'm finding it motivating, enlivening and just generally working for me, which is super weird because 5/2 intermittent fasting fuckin sucked.

Generally, Internet wisdom seems to be that its a decent thing to do, and that it's good for you, but I'm concerned I've gone into this without any real thought or plan. Like, yeah, calories down, lose weight, but is there anything I should be considering but haven't?

One meal a day seems to be the natural mode for me also. I like eating a large dinner in the evening and not much else.

Sometimes I have something small for breakfast. And also I am not in any way strict, if I feel like I need to eat, I eat. Like when I do long bike trips. OMAD is just what I gravitate to automatically.

Seems to work fine for me, but just listen to your body.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Inceltown posted:

How big are you meals / rides? The idea of having to eat my maintenance calories + marathon calories in a single meal is daunting af and I'm a huge meal lover rather than grazer.

I meant that when I do long rides, I eat more meals that day.

I also tend to eat slowly. So I cook a quite large dinner and I eat a few servings over the course of a few hours, while I do other stuff.

So it's not just a sit down at the dinner table and eat a pile of food.

So my way of life might not work for everyone.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

greazeball posted:

First word is "MADICUL" (medical)

Could the second word be some mangled version of "Hydrogen"?

So "Medical hydrogen peroxide"?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Outrail posted:

This felt like reading a Q anon post but sane and with some kind of actual logic.

This mystery was more interesting and exciting than the Da Vinci Code.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

BonHair posted:

You haven't tried my sauces

You haven't tried my slime.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Blue Labrador posted:

If I'm flirting with someone, or happen to land a date with someone who's smarter than me, how do I be a good conversationalist with someone way smarter than me without derailing them with dumb poo poo? I usually feel like I'm socially able, but I had a meeting with someone far more intelligent than me. While I found them attractive (their intelligence included), I didn't know how to engage with them without feeling like I was detracting from their thoughts.

Ask them what their Myers-Briggs type is and why they feel that their type is the best one.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

And also having a PhD or similar really impressive education doesn't make a person somehow exceptionally intelligent. They are super knowledgeable about their own field and they clearly display an impressive ability to work and study. But every PhD or expert I know are just regular silly dumb people when you consider them as a whole. (Edit: In a good way I mean)

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Silver Falcon posted:

On land they look like fat sausages/cigars. They lie flat and undulate themselves to get around.

The perfect being.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Hyperlynx posted:

Honestly, kind of works anyway. All they do is sleep, eat poisonous leaves, scream like demons, and contract chlamydia.

But their breath is super fresh.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

smackfu posted:

You could choose to buy slide film or negative film. Slide film was developed directly and framed to make slides, negative film was developed into negatives and then prints were made from them.

More “serious” amateur photographers used slide film. Honestly don’t remember the advantages but it was a thing. I guess one less step?

As a somewhat knowledgeable film hipster.

Slide film has worse dynamic range, so it's less forgiving. You need to have the exposure right. With negatives you can under/over expose a lot more and still end up with a good shot after correcting it in the development phase. You can look at the slide with your bare eyes and see what it looks like in terms of colors. With a negative it's not clear what the image should look like.

Slides are not too relevant anymore, but my mom still has several of these slide reels full of photos my dad took of us as a kid. So the one big advantage was to be able to project the photos onto the wall.

Yeah, Velvia is the hit product in the slide film category and it has nice properties, but projectors were the main reason to use them in the olden days. Negatives you only got as small prints.

And like you said the one less step in the developing process removes one step where things can go wrong in terms of final result, but the downside is that slides cannot be printed easily (in the old world).

There's nothing like sitting through a proper slide show of vacation photos.

lobsterminator fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 15, 2022

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

alnilam posted:

^^^ There's a great book about those sorts of questions called The World Without Us by Alan Weisman. It's been a while but I think potable water would last as long as the current fill of the local water tower does. Hopefully they can figure out how to drink from a stream after that.

Grabbed that book from Audible, thanks for the tip!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

FCKGW posted:

Oh, I just remembered a good example. There was a DVD disc format back in the early 2000s called Flexplay. The discs were shipped in vacuum sealed containers and contained a special die that, after exposure to oxygen, would start to turn black and become unreadable after 48 hours. They billed this as an alternative to the DVD rental market where you could buy them anywhere and didn’t have to return them. The format crashed and burned pretty quick.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flexplay

The modern alternative is to make movies so bad that you won't want to watch them again.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Boba Pearl posted:

I need photo references for drawing of just absolute rear end weed. Like just gross stress and chronic. The worst weed. Marijuana that is instantly identifiable as dogshit. The kind of weed where even someone who does not smoke weed would recognize as "Not Worth It," but I can't find the right keywords.

70s weed.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Wouldn't DVDs also survive a solar flare or EMP? So burn your photos to discs?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

kalel posted:

brother : brethren :: sister : ?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

YggiDee posted:

What is an audio codec, why are there so many, and why do I never have the correct one?

They are different algorithms for compressing and storing sound.

An analogy would be compression formats like .zip and .rar but instead of being separate files, a video file can have the audio stored within the file in different formats. Similarly the video portion of the file can be stored in different codecs like H.264 or MPEG-4.

So the software playing the file will need to have support for both the video and audio codecs used in the file.

That said, I have not needed to deal with individual file formats or codec issues in years thanks to programs like VLC that pretty much always play any file out of the box.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Obviously this is a dumb scam:

But how is it supposed to work? Do people think that just owning literally any amount of land in Scotland automatically makes you a lord? Or is there some layer to it I'm not seeing?

I don't know but that sounds like a good Crusader Kings challenge. Start off with a $49.95 lordship and rise to rule the British isles.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

It's a funny present, that's basically it.

Technically any landowner in Scotland is a lord/lady.

I also own a plot in Islay. That gimmick where you buy one of the better Laphroaig bottles you get a square foot of land.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Double post for my question:

Is Apple pay really so ubiquitous that people rely on it being a sole form of payment? I work for a mom'n'pop boutique kind of retail store, and while we have a fairly modern POS, take all credit cards, etc., Apple pay works about 10% of the time. When it doesn't, it causes a cascade collapse that requires all 3 registers to need a hard reboot. Like, I'm crawling under the counter physically unplugging the card reader. Ain't nobody got time for that during holidays in retail.

So I've put up little signs by the readers saying "Sorry, we don't accept Apple Pay! :)" and I keep getting customers huffing and having to ask their spouses/friends they're shopping with to borrow a card or pay for it.

If you use Apple Pay, is it really expected that EVERYONE takes it? We're working with our POS support on it (tap has been squirrelly too, that's another story), but I'm frankly baffled by these folks who go out with no money option but their phone.

This will probably vary greatly from one place to the next.

All the readers I've seen in many years work with any NFC payments (Google, Apple, contactless cards).

It is such a non issue that I don't even carry cards with me, just my phone.

Are your problems Apple Pay specific or do Google payments also cause problems? Or contactless cards if those are common there?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

CzarChasm posted:

I'm making some custom Star Wars poker chips/credits for a friend for christmas, and I'm trying to figure out how many to make.

I'm planning on making 3 values ($1, $5, and $10) and planning for 4-5 players on average. I was thinking 20 x $1, and 10 each of the other values. Is that enough chips?

You mean Pazaak chips? (I just started replaying KOTOR after amost two decades).

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

I work at a 7-11 and I would loving love it if we got rid of cash. Observing the way people pay, here is my rundown:

Kids: Pay either with wadded up balls of loving wet money OR a plastic bag full of nickels.
Teenagers: Pay with wadded up balls of loving wet money
Young adults: Apple Pay. Zoom, beepbeep, you're out. So fast.
Average adults: Debit card or twenty-dollar bills.
Older adults: Card or -- let me see if I have a ten dollar bill... hmmm no... here, this is a five... how much? Oh, wait... hmmm... I have a five around here somewhere... oh here's a twenty dollar bill.
Old people: exact loving change that takes loving forever

Here it's pretty much:

Kids: Coins or sometimes card
Teenagers to older adults: Pay with card or phone
Old people: Drop a huge pile of pennies onto the table and make the cashier count the exact amount from them.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Lincoln posted:

Brexit was good for England.

This we can all agree on.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Delphisage posted:

What do I do if someone tells me to stop posting?

:justpost:

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

dupersaurus posted:

Since batteries are just chemical reactions cooling them off can slow the reaction down and reduce the charge. But I don't know how much you'd notice unless you're leaving it out exposed for long periods of time, out of your pocket and not in a heated location

I've definitely had issue when it's like -20C (-4F) or colder. Especially when my phone was pretty old to begin with.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Qubee posted:

Do probiotics even work? I've been having problems with my gut for the longest time. I got a bad case of C Difficile and I don't think I ever got back to 100% after it. I've been taking probiotics for a week now, I always thought they were bogus cause they just get destroyed in the stomach. It's got some cheesy marketing ultrashield capsule that supposedly gets to the small intestine. I have noticed slight positive changes but I don't know if it's placebo.

Like with most things, I do believe they can be good for you, but they are touted as a more dramatic cure-all than they are.

I just mainly eat yoghurt and sauerkraut because they taste good.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

JacquelineDempsey posted:

I'm sure there's a e/n thread, or maybe TGD, for it, but I want to know more about Seasonal Affective Disorder and how to get help/support.

Any recommendations? I don't have a PCP, I'm in the US so "lol healthcare, especially mental health". I also have solely Medicaid for any "insurance". I'm still desperate trying to find a dentist that will take me despite my cracked molars, so I just can't find the energy to make 1000 phone calls just to be told "sorry we're not taking new patients" or "lol, Medicaid, just lmao" AGAIN.

Sadly (or should I say SADly) I turn to goons to help. Is there a good thread somewhere y'all can refer me to?

I live very north and it's hard. A sunlight lamp is a must have. Below just a random example, not recommendation for that particular model.

https://www.lumie.com/products/vitamin-l

Also vitamin D supplements.

And I try to go out in the middle of the day as much as I can. Now there's sunlight about 9.30am-3pm so if you work normal hours it's dark before and after.

So as much as possible I try to do shopping etc at noon so I see some light.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

credburn posted:

Question: Do patriotic folks in other countries have the same reverence for the founders of their countries as conservatives in the US? I don't really see many examples of it. It seems like everyone in the world might know that George Washington was the first president of the United States but I don't think I could name a single first-leader from any other country.

Like there are people who will get in a fight with you if you have anything bad to say about Our Founding Fathers.

I think the US is somewhat unique in terms of the founding. Most countries have a long history where countries were under lots of reigns for millenia.

The US had a clear beginning and the founders have reached a mythical status.

I live in Finland and we were tossed between Russian and Swedish empires for ages and only got our independence in 1917.

There are really not that much revered heroes. I think one person our chuds love is Mannerheim, who was a military leader in our civil war and WWII, but I don't think even they are that upset if you poo poo on him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Gustaf_Emil_Mannerheim

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Killingyouguy! posted:

In addition my understanding is that the tines of the fork stay pointed down in the European style, while in the American style they might flip over to scoop food up

I am not a European

I'm European and yes that is the common way, but I tend to scoop a lot. I just think it's inefficient to have the tines down for anything that you don't pierce with them.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Ras Het posted:

I'm pretty sure Italians don't eat pasta with a spoon and fork, that's also an American innovation

Italians eat pasta by holding both hands like this and placing a single strand of spaghetti between the hands.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Anyone know what font this is:

It seems to be Cumberland Bold.

https://www.myfonts.com/products/bold-cumberland-342851

Only registered members can see post attachments!

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

As far as I can tell, dongers vary greatly in size according to time of day, temperature and probably a bunch of other factors? Idunno man, it's a weird appendage.

Sometimes the size even changes when you look at a naked person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I have a desktop computer running windows 10 that was plugged into a monitor, but is now plugged into an old tv, so the screen resolution has been reduced from 1920x1080 to 1280x720 - and everything's too big. How do I shrink the UI elements? I'm sure it's not supposed to look like this. Nothing fits on the screen. Scaling in display settings is set to 100%, which is apparently the minimum.

Welcome to modern UI. That looks as intended, but Windows 10 wasn't designed for 720 users.

You can't scale the UI below 100%, but you could try to set the resolution to be higher. So if possible set the resolution to be 1920x1080 even though it's not the native resolution. It would be scaled thus not super sharp, but maybe would look more natural for the screen.