Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
My specific use case, is I want to talk to people about AI art without having to sift through a million pages of bitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

I have a convertible standing desk, but I never use it. Any recommendation for a lightweight program I can use for popup reminders?

Edit: windows

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

i imagine it would be easiest to use windows built in clock and alarms program to do so, assuming you are using windows 10

you could setup multiple alarms to remind you throughout the day and they have a popup that goes through windows notifications

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Xenoborg posted:

I have a convertible standing desk, but I never use it. Any recommendation for a lightweight program I can use for popup reminders?

Edit: windows

just set a little alarm or a countdown on your phone for however often you like that says "stand up dummy"

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Goon Boots posted:

i imagine it would be easiest to use windows built in clock and alarms program to do so, assuming you are using windows 10

you could setup multiple alarms to remind you throughout the day and they have a popup that goes through windows notifications

I didn't even know there was a built in alarm in windows, i'll try it out. Thanks.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

My specific use case, is I want to talk to people about AI art without having to sift through a million pages of bitching.

https://twitter.com/aparnapkin/status/1022277353198612480

If you find yourself back in the comments somehow, then give this account a read (they sadly stopped posting years ago):

https://twitter.com/AvoidComments/status/455020022256394240

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

BonHair posted:

If you do fix it (or not), can you post the document? It's always nice to have these collections.

Well, since this thread is a place where people volunteer their time and experience to help strangers with their problems for no reason, I reckon you've all earned a treat, so here you go.

A 400+ page custom-made collection of all the lyrics and chords for about 750 bangin’ tunes. A huge mix of genres, so I think there’s something for literally everyone in there, and it’s been carefully curated for Quality and playability. Don’t need much more than a capo and the odd minor 7. If you can play A-G, and can get away with power chords for the flats and sharps, then you can basically do everything in here.

There is also a corresponding playlist on Spotify, which as well as being a good accompaniment to the book is just some drat good listening.

It's been about 10 years in the making, and it's actually not quite finished, I'm still going through to give it the final check to make sure every chord is above every right syllable, and am only up to page 50 (or the "C"s). But finishing it could take a while, it's a massive slog, and there's something about sharing it that helps with the final push the finish line, so here we are. I'll post the finished one when it's done in a few weeks too.

It works well on an iPad, but if you can print it out it's a great book to have. Perfect for any campfire or music room. Please feel free to donate it to a local school band practice room or something, or any kids you know who are learning piano or guitar. But yeah, maybe wait for the finished one. Although most of them should be close enough to be useable.

For the record, I never actually resolved the weird font problem, but figured out that I could mitigate 95% of it by just clicking "select all" to edit it back that way, turning it into a 10 second problem instead of a 10 minute one. The bit that sucks at the moment is I'll go to move a box and get the spinning rainbow wheel for an annoyingly long time. It's kind of killing me. I hope it'll be worth it though.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Why does concrete get stronger when you put rebar in it?

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos

dokmo posted:

It allows the concrete to spread it's weight out, the rebar twists and bends just a little bit, so that the concrete doesn't have too. Concrete has way less give then rebar does, so putting a bunch of rebar for it to stick too, allows the rebar to do the bending instead of the concrete.

e: I think I actually got this twisted around.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

dokmo posted:

If you put weight on concrete, the top will be under compression, but the bottom will be under tension. Concrete is great under compression, but falls apart under tension. If you put rebar in it, it will compensate for this.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Flipperwaldt posted:

If you put weight on concrete, the top will be under compression, but the bottom will be under tension. Concrete is great under compression, but falls apart under tension. If you put rebar in it, it will compensate for this.

I've been doing it all wrong. I've been putting rhubarb into concrete for years. No wonder all those houses collapsed.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

lobsterminator posted:

I've been doing it all wrong. I've been putting rhubarb into concrete for years. No wonder all those houses collapsed.

Yet you made a lot of money off your mistake so it’s impossible to say if it was good or bad

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

dokmo posted:

Concrete is strong in compression and weak in tension. It resists forces pushing it together but is relatively easy to pull apart. If you want an example of a material that behaves like this on a more pedestrian scale, think of styrofoam. A small block of it will easily support your weight, yet you can break it between your hands.

So don’t use concrete anywhere where forces are going to be trying to pull it apart. Well the thing is that concrete is a really cheap and useful material, and we want to to use for structural elements like beams or the floor of a parking garage, which have portions in tension.

Steel is strong in tension. Embedding steel reinforcing bars concrete vastly increases the tensile strength of the combined structure. This is done through the steel itself resisting stretching and also through pre‐stressing the concrete, so that it’s under compression just sitting there. Now when tension is applied to it, the the tensile force must first equal and negate the compressive pre-stress before it can start actually pulling the concrete apart. It’s like trying to pull apart that styrofoam block again except this time someone is standing on it.

I don’t recall watching this video, but Grady is usually pretty good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZINeaDjisY

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Sep 21, 2022

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Bucky Fullminster posted:

Well, since this thread is a place where people volunteer their time and experience to help strangers with their problems for no reason, I reckon you've all earned a treat, so here you go.

A 400+ page custom-made collection of all the lyrics and chords for about 750 bangin’ tunes. A huge mix of genres, so I think there’s something for literally everyone in there, and it’s been carefully curated for Quality and playability. Don’t need much more than a capo and the odd minor 7. If you can play A-G, and can get away with power chords for the flats and sharps, then you can basically do everything in here.

There is also a corresponding playlist on Spotify, which as well as being a good accompaniment to the book is just some drat good listening.

It's been about 10 years in the making, and it's actually not quite finished, I'm still going through to give it the final check to make sure every chord is above every right syllable, and am only up to page 50 (or the "C"s). But finishing it could take a while, it's a massive slog, and there's something about sharing it that helps with the final push the finish line, so here we are. I'll post the finished one when it's done in a few weeks too.

It works well on an iPad, but if you can print it out it's a great book to have. Perfect for any campfire or music room. Please feel free to donate it to a local school band practice room or something, or any kids you know who are learning piano or guitar. But yeah, maybe wait for the finished one. Although most of them should be close enough to be useable.

For the record, I never actually resolved the weird font problem, but figured out that I could mitigate 95% of it by just clicking "select all" to edit it back that way, turning it into a 10 second problem instead of a 10 minute one. The bit that sucks at the moment is I'll go to move a box and get the spinning rainbow wheel for an annoyingly long time. It's kind of killing me. I hope it'll be worth it though.
Wow! Just started with guitar but I can tell it will be hugely helpful! Great, great stuff!!

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Can someone give me or point me to some examples of really good Dall-E prompts to get more details correct in the finished image? I know more details in the prompt leads to a better image, but I still get weird smeary dreamlike images more often than not

I feel like maybe there is a trick to phrasing and ordering things correctly

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
I've seen a meme which is basically a gundam shooting a shell over a clueless person's head. It's supposed to represent someone missing the subtle themes of a work and enjoying the aesthetics. I've looked all over for the know-your-meme page and can't find it. Anyone know what the meme is called?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I've seen a meme which is basically a gundam shooting a shell over a clueless person's head. It's supposed to represent someone missing the subtle themes of a work and enjoying the aesthetics. I've looked all over for the know-your-meme page and can't find it. Anyone know what the meme is called?

Wow Cool Robot!

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man
Thanks to all with the concrete info.

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
Could anyone reccommend a cheap alternative to a switch dock (if it works with android phones as well it'd be perfect)?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Manager Hoyden posted:

Can someone give me or point me to some examples of really good Dall-E prompts to get more details correct in the finished image? I know more details in the prompt leads to a better image, but I still get weird smeary dreamlike images more often than not

I feel like maybe there is a trick to phrasing and ordering things correctly
The gbs AI Art Thread will help you out with any questions like that I'm sure.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

DildenAnders posted:

Could anyone reccommend a cheap alternative to a switch dock (if it works with android phones as well it'd be perfect)?

I just got one of those cheap USB-C to HDMI dongles with passthrough power and a USB port. When I was looking, most of them worked with phones, iPads and Switches. Check the Amazon questions for specific compatibility.

This is the one I went with but they're extremely generic and like the Anker thing I use to dock my MacBook also works with my Switch. https://a.co/d/4UTXnCx

giogadi
Oct 27, 2009

I was watching some Charli XCX music videos today when I had a sudden urge to try to dance like those backup dancers do in the videos. I’ve never done any kind of dancing before, so I could use some help.

Are there any good YouTube channels that walk through pop music choreography step by step so I can learn?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I'm very confused about this white stuff that appeared in a dry pond near my house. For once the internet is not helping and I cannot seem to find any useful information on what it is. It appeared about a week or so after the pond dried up.

Does anyone have specialized knowledge of North American weird white fibrous growth in dry lake beds? It's in BC, and I'm almost certain it isn't a cactus.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Isn't that just baking soda? Common around bodies of water ( lake by me does the same thing).

Ahh, looks more like a plant or mold in the first picture, white powder is all around the lake by my house and I was always told it's just baking powder.

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Mister Facetious posted:

Can some/any creatures that reproduce via parthenogenesis also reproduce sexually, with a partner?

From forever ago, but turkey's are capable of parthenogenesis.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

LorneReams posted:

Isn't that just baking soda? Common around bodies of water ( lake by me does the same thing).

Ahh, looks more like a plant or mold in the first picture, white powder is all around the lake by my house and I was always told it's just baking powder.

I'm pretty sure it's not baking soda or a catctus.

It's some kind of fibrous growth. I think it's a fungus but it's so expansive and it was also all underwater for a long time.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I have a class that demands I scan and upload work, but for the first time, I have no scanner. Is there a recommended document scanning app for my phone or should I just use the stock camera?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

StandardVC10 posted:

I have a class that demands I scan and upload work, but for the first time, I have no scanner. Is there a recommended document scanning app for my phone or should I just use the stock camera?

Do use a scanning app.

I like Scanner Pro most but I’ve used a ton over the years. Adobe Scan is probably the most reliable and straightforward, but they are all competent and far better than a raw picture of a sheet of paper.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Seconding Scanner Pro. Used it for several years, it will even send faxes!

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

StandardVC10 posted:

Google docs app does scanning pretty well

Goon Boots
Feb 2, 2020

Outrail posted:

I'm very confused about this white stuff that appeared in a dry pond near my house. For once the internet is not helping and I cannot seem to find any useful information on what it is. It appeared about a week or so after the pond dried up.

Does anyone have specialized knowledge of North American weird white fibrous growth in dry lake beds? It's in BC, and I'm almost certain it isn't a cactus.

some googling suggests that it is a type of filamentous algae, probably a kind called spirogyra (aka water silk, mermaid's tresses, and blanket weed).

the algae in your picture used to be green before they dried up and lost their chlorophyll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirogyra

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020
What the hell word am I looking for?

It means “the clues to the big reveal in a movie that you see the second time you watch it”

Like in 21 jump street: when they take the drugs one of the, says “tastes like cool ranch”, later they talk to a teacher who is eating cool ranch doretos. He is later revealed to be the master mind and had just been with the drug sellers.

The clues
The hints

I’m sure there’s a drat word.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Foreshadowing?

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
McGuffin?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
“Rewatch Bonus”?

“Fridge Brilliance”?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Tad Naff posted:

McGuffin?

McGuffin is like the “Point”, the Thing they are trying to Find, the driver of the action, like the Infinity Stones or whatever

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
Chekhov's gun?
Lampshading?

Extra row of tits
Oct 31, 2020

EricBauman posted:

Foreshadowing?

That’s the one, thank god. It was killing me,

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Why are so many electronics sold everywhere except the North America region specifically? Is it a tariff thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Goon Boots posted:

some googling suggests that it is a type of filamentous algae, probably a kind called spirogyra (aka water silk, mermaid's tresses, and blanket weed).

the algae in your picture used to be green before they dried up and lost their chlorophyll

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirogyra

:doh: yeah on second look it must be something like this. Cheers!