Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

e: found a better thread for this question

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 19:15 on May 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've never owned a car and certainly never bought one. Why are there "dealerships"? Why doesn't Ford just run their own stores directly? Why can't one just order a Ford directly from Ford? Or can you

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Aug 28, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Fruits of the sea posted:

LOL at dealerships being so lovely that car manufacturers think its damaging their brand.

See, it seemed to me like that was the major downside to this model. I'd figure a Brand would want such tight control over how every aspect of the experience is presented to the consumer that 'idk let Gavin in Nowheresville do it, idc' seemed like a huge risk

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

A while ago I was in the ER with anemia. I got an iron (not blood) transfusion and the needle for the IV felt massive, like a goddamn drinking straw pushed in my arm.
What gauge of needle would that have been?
And is that the same gauge of needle used for blood donations? i've never donated before and i'm interested but 10 whole minutes of that stupid needle sounds like hell

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

smackfu posted:

Let me tell you a secret, the photos thing is just a mental trick to allow you to get rid of stuff, you never actually look at the photos of stuff again.

I look at my photos of stuff :shobon:

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Hyperlynx posted:

Can you clean a toilet by pouring some bleach/cleaner/whatever in the cistern and then flushing?

This doesn't seem like a good plan. I don't think the friction of the water running through the bowl is comparable to scrubbing it and I think you'd risk the bowl refilling with bleach?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

When a doctor wants a new job and applies at a different hospital or whatever, do they provide a resume? What goes on a doctors resume? "performed x-difficult-surgery n times with m% complication rate"? What sort of selling points are there in doctoring

I only know my own field, where you can't just say 'I worked here for n years' you have to specify what your specific accomplishments are and how you benefitted the company. But medicine seems so random that 'had a cancer patient survive' may not have even been your accomplishment, right? A different patient would die despite all your best care bc of genes and poo poo

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Nov 10, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

alnilam posted:

Yeah based on my experience being married to one, you give the numbers - estimating how many procedures of different kinds you've done, how many cases of different things you've diagnosed or treated, I don't think you mention complication rate. Where you trained, under whom, board certs, and personal recommendation letters are a big part of it too.

I'm sure it also varies by specialty so I'm hoping some actual doctors will come in here and give more answers

Well the bolded part is really interesting to me. If you've performed a bunch of surgeries but 80% of them are crippled from complications from your lovely technique could you hide that from the employer?

(I promise I'm not trying to be conspiratorial I'm just asking stupid questions)

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Nov 10, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I do both crafts, and that's definitely crocheted.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

artsy fartsy posted:

Oh wow, that means it was done by hand then, right? Feel bad that someone left it behind.

Yeah, machine crochet isn't a thing! There's machines that can mimic crochet but not to the extent of producing that particular item, patterns like that are worked outwards from the centre of one of those circles surrounded by dense tall stitches and as far as I know no machine can handle the exact hook placement needed

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Old films about cooking seem to feature stoves where one of the burners, or a space in between the burners, is recessed into the stove and seems to be only for tasks that require boiling.

Like this:

What are these called, and when did they stop being a thing? Googling 'stove with boiler' doesn't turn up what i'm looking for

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Delphisage posted:

If I want to get reprimanded for my posting habits and told what to unlearn, is there an ideal thread in this subforum for it?

Have you tried reading your own rap sheet

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

doingitwrong posted:

Is there a thread for talking about supporting ageing parents, family members dealing with dementia etc?

It's not a dedicated thread (we could probably use one!) but the braindump thread in e/n has been visiting this topic on the reg recently

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Ogmius815 posted:

Is fabric softener safe to use? Is it bad for the environment? I literally cannot find a source that is not either a health woo website (often with referral links to “organic” or “natural” alternatives)or an industry group for fabric softener manufacturers.

Edit: oh and is it damaging my clothes? That too.

My understanding is that it works quite like hair conditioner, it softens the fibres by coating them. But that same coating can build up both on the clothes and in your appliances, which can mean they'll need maintenance sooner.

I have heard a small amount of white vinegar will soften fibres through acidity instead which will be better in the long run but I've never tried it

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

And of course, the biggest problem with fabric softener is:

spensive

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

cherished memories going to the states ~2014, tapping my credit card on a POS that only did chip (w/o pin??) and the clerk looking like i was the biggest idiot in the world

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have this neat little spray bottle where you put in a scoop of table salt (it comes with a scoop) and fill with water up to the line, shake to mix, then press the button and it turns the salt water into chlorine disinfectant through electrochlorination.

Surely that's not resulting in 100% strength chlorine bleach? So how do I calculate the strength of it? (I haven't taken chemistry in a very long time)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Also, is there a Canadian law questions thread?

(unrelated to the bleach thing)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

We should do the blue streetlights on purpose

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

How instinctual is the feeling that thinking happens inside the head? Was there a time before we knew the function of the brain where people perceived their thoughts as coming from other parts of the body?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Delphisage posted:

How do I use big words in my vocabulary without people dogpiling me?

You keep posting things like this and then I look in your post history and you've been being weird and misrepresenting it here

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My favourite is taking my phone out in winter and the screen starts lagging and ghosting bc the liquid in the liquid crystal display has stopped cooperating

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Mister Speaker posted:

Is there a utility out there to extract text from .m3u/.m3u8 playlist files? Every time I make a new DJ mix I've been writing out the tracklist into an .rtf by hand and I'd like to save a little bit of time on that.

There is a workaround I can think of but it's clunky: Re-importing the playlist into Traktor from Rekordbox. Traktor allows you to spit out playlists as... .html files, I think, and you can extract the plain text from there. But for some reason Traktor takes ages to open on my machine, and I'd rather not end up with a convoluted mess of playlists in a software I only use for rapid track cataloguing anyway.

If there's a piece of software that can take the .m3u plists and turn them directly into text that'd be dope.

It's been a really long time since I used a playlist file but aren't they plaintext files that are just a bunch of file paths under the hood? Like can't you open them directly in notepad++? Would that be sufficient?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah parsing the m3u file directly does require that all your mp3s are correctly titled in the filesystem, it doesn't pull from idv3 tags
which if Mr Speaker is a DJ then is probably not a concern but if you're the average limewire user it might not be

god drat what year is it in this thread

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My internet plan is roughly $70/mo for 30Mbps.

My mobile provider claims their 4G can reach up to 100Mbps based on location. I'm in The Big City so Location is probably on my side here.

Is there any reason not to just drop my internet plan, upgrade my mobile plan, and tether my laptop to my phone for the rest of my life?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

How do the blind know where to feel for braille signage? Sometimes it seems like they have to just luck into touching the wall where a plaque happens to be, is there a system for placement?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

kalel posted:

Is it possible to report a doctor for trying to convince me not to get an STI test? His reasoning was that I shouldn't have any since I've never been sexually active

Idk where you live but where I live, you'd be turned down on this request because it'd be a waste of resources

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Trickortreat posted:

Tell me about liquid fabric softener. Are they a really just a clever marketing ploy? What are some other alternatives? I just hate having to clear out the place where I pour in the fabric softener and this morning I found globs of the fabric softener paste all over the inside of my washing machine. Does this mean I'm using too much? Will using hot water resolve this issue?

It works like hair conditioner: it coats the fibres of the fabric in poo poo so it feels less like fabric. However it also coats all the tubes in your washing machine, as you have discovered. Probably don't use it. If you really need to soften something I hear vinegar works well

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I have heard of some cities experimenting with specific chemicals or coffee grounds (???) as road salt alternatives for soil damage reasons

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah Strix said the braindump thread specifically gets moved to the mod forum rather than just locked, for privacy, when it gets its annual reboot

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

Is there a simple android app that will let me manually track how long I sleep for (ie. I enter in the times I went to bed and woke up)? I don't want it to try to figure out if I'm asleep or not or measure how much I snore or any of that stuff, just let me keep track of when I went to bed and roughly how much sleep I get each night. Preferably without any other features (like fitness tracking, etc.) but they're ok so long as I can just ignore them and I don't have to click through several screens to get to the one thing I want.

I use Sleep as Android and if you never actually use the live sleep tracking it'll prompt you to manually enter the time

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I seemed to somewhere along the way get the idea that all surgery requires an epidural and intubation. Is either thing true? (I've never had surgery)

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Tiggum posted:

This is actually what I was using, but it was a real hassle as it's obviously not designed to be used the way I want to use it. And once the list starts getting longer there's a lot of scrolling to find the current day.

Tried both of these and I hate them. Too much garbage all over the screen that I have to click through to find the one thing I want. And Sleep as Android seems to just display the information in a list, which is no better than just writing it down in Notepad? Except worse, actually, because the way it's displayed makes extremely poor use of space.

I mean, that is bc you're using it in an unintended way, but after a week or so it'll start giving you analytics about when you should be going to bed and stuff like that, there's a whole Charts section in the menu

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Could I snort my sublingual melatonin

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

PiratePrentice posted:

You can snort just about anything if you put in the work. Probably shouldn't.

Right but like if it's designed to absorb through the skin under the tongue, will it work equally as well on any mucus membrane?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Thank you all for the thorough answers I will buttchug my melatonin from here on out

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I guess I'm the nerd this time, but what parts of keepass do people find hard to use?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I just keep my database on a USB stick and plug it into whatever computer I'm using, because that amounts to a whole two devices, personal computer and work computer 🤷‍♂️

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

abelwingnut posted:

this is no small question, but certainly related—how close are we technologically to moving on from passwords? obviously we have faceid and touch stuff, but those only work locally afaik. and hell, are those even more secure?

I'm real tinfoil hatted about that poo poo and I assume Google would sell my fingerprints to every police dept on the planet if I gave it to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Slimy Hog posted:

How do you log into things on mobile?

View the password on my computer and type it into my phone using my eyes

How often do other people need to type passwords into their phones anyway? The Twitter and SA apps boot me out about once a year and I think those are the only apps I have that require a login

Not trying to be a shithead genuinely asking idk how other people use their phones

Killingyouguy! fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jan 8, 2023