Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
when I see memes about how hosed up this year has been they always mention that World War 3 almost started. what's that referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
did Tumblr's font just change?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
is there anything OTC to treat arthritis pain that's not anti-inflammatory?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm trying to remember the name of a subreddit. it's based on a type of fortification, and a saying that you should "stay in your fortification" referring to only arguing about things you're an expert in. does anyone know what I'm talking about

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

NotNut posted:

I'm trying to remember the name of a subreddit. it's based on a type of fortification, and a saying that you should "stay in your fortification" referring to only arguing about things you're an expert in. does anyone know what I'm talking about

it was motte

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
is there a name for that ballad style of music that played during the credits of every 90s movie?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
it seems like my Facebook feed stopped updating. it's been showing the same posts all day, most of which are "see first," but I've already seen them and it should know that right? it happens regardless of whether I'm in the classic view or new view. anybody know wtf is going on?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
what's the science fiction story where people are trapped in a bunker by a computer and no one knows what it's like outside?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Mak0rz posted:

I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream?

no in the one I'm thinking of people are trying to escape to the surface, based on a legend of someone who already did

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
maybe it wasn't actually a computer trapping them and I'm remembering it wrong?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

jjack229 posted:

Post here, the thread is pretty good with these questions:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2704537&pagenumber=158&perpage=40

Also, probably not, but maybe Wool by Hugh Howey

that's the one I was thinking of, thanks

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
what's the post where it says cowboy burgers are light a meat loaf between asscheeks?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
what's the best sunscreen you can find in Wal-Mart? in terms of protection and how good it is for your skin

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
is it safe to take silk protein hydrolysate (cognium), ginkgo biloba, and lion's mane together?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
what's the closest existing restaurant to Quiznos?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
is there a way to clean HEPA or charcoal filters instead of buying new ones every few months?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Crosspost from Goon Doctor - Does anyone have advice about whether or not you should join a Medicare Advantage plan, and if you should, what to look for in them? Mainly looking into getting one for my dad that has $1000 of comprehensive dental per year, because regular Medicare doesn't have any dental coverage and he needs some tooth work done.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
last week my the freezer on my fridge stopped freezing stuff. it only keeps it around 35-40 degrees now. it seemed to happen abruptly. the fridge part still works, and the noise the fridge makes is still exactly the same, but the freezer just isn't working for some reason. it's an Amana 20 Energy Saver fridge with a bottom freezer, that I got used and it's pretty old but worked fine up until now

the freezer has a shelf, and underneath on the bottom layer was a shitload of frost

ignore the red box, it's just a receipt. you can see I tried scraping some of the frost aware and found some kind of gap back there but I'm not sure what it is

the bottom of the freezer is directly adjacent to underneath the fridge so here are some pics of what that looks like

I only cleaned the lint out like it says after the trouble started and it went years without that ever being done. not sure if it could be related to the problem. there's also more huge dust bunnies in the shadows that the camera flash didn't reach

here's the left side. on the right is a thing you can turn that clicks, and on the left is a removable tray. the tray is below a hose like it's going to have some liquid in it, and it had a bunch of junk when I removed it that I could tell was from evaporated liquid. but not it stays completely dry, so that could be related to the problem

the left side with the tray removed

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
does anyone know what the desiccant sleeves inside probiotics bottles are made of? is it safe? it smells weird

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Platystemon posted:

All of the common desiccants are odourless when pure.

I assume you are familiar with silica and know it’s not that. Montmorillonite clay has broadly similar absorption characteristics is the next most common desiccant.

Calcium oxide is used sometimes in dehydrated foods. Calcium sulphate is uncommon, but if the sulphur in it founds its way into organic compounds, that might explain the smell.

they said the smell is normal and due to the desiccant

here's an article about it if that gives any clues: https://www.gardenoflife.com/blog/new-innovative-shelf-stable-bottle-technology

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there a way to compost food that includes meat and grease without animals getting to it?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
It's mainly just to have a way to dispose of food waste without having to seal it in bags and take it to the dump. I could just not use that compost for gardening and get my real compost elsewhere.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

If your goal is getting rid of food waste, why does it matter if the raccoons get in it? Just toss it out in the yard I'm sure it'll be gone by morning. Maybe not such a good idea if you live somewhere with bears or mountain lions....

There is an entire compost thread in HCH that might have more info: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3958208

The coons, gophers, groundhogs and foxes start hanging around and get into my garden.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's the disadvantage to putting in a garbage disposal and flushing that crap down there instead?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Joburg posted:

Y’all need some chickens or friends with chickens. Dairy, meat, fat, all get turned into delicious eggs. Have too many eggs? They will eat those too.

Here are my chickens chowing down on some yogurt.

Used to but got annexed by the city and now it's against ordinance.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone know where I could get some cheap eyeglass frames similar to this pair of Ray-Bans?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Like this?

https://www.zennioptical.com/p/laze-eyeglasses/1581?skuId=158125

Pull up some cheap glasses vendors and search for round frames.

Those are pretty close, thanks. Though I wish it was from a seller that accepted insurance.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Is there a way to play Flash in Chrome now?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's the best media player for Windows 10?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I need to get a bunch of empty beer bottles. How could I do that cheaply? Not for making my own beer, they need to have beer labels and everything. They're part of a set I'm designing.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Douche4Sale posted:

Go dig through a recycling bin by a college campus. Do you really not know anyone who drinks bottled beer?

Alternatively just buy a case of bottled Coke from Costco. Unless it specifically has to be beer bottles. Then just buy the cheapest case of beer.

It does need to be beer bottles. And I know people who drink it but not in the quantity I'd need. And I don't want to buy anything preferably.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's something that can fill a room with a unpleasant chemical smell for an ambience I'm creating, but isn't dangerous?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I need some non-prescription colored contacts for a party on Saturday, so I couldn't order them online or they'd arrive too late. Are there any brick and mortar chain stores that would sell them?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Organza Quiz posted:

Any costume stores near your house?

I tried Spirit Halloween and they didn't have any. I guess I can check other costume stores.

Such Fun posted:

Where do you live buddy?

A city.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I heard that there was a paleoamerican (older than 10k years) skeleton found that had DNA from northern Europe, but I can't find anything about it. Is it true?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'm trying to figure out whether it would be worth it to make more money so my income goes over the medicaid limit, so I need to know about health insurance you can get from the Obama health markets and stuff. Does anyone know anything about this, or know of a thread where I could get info?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020

Harold Fjord posted:

How much more? You'll be wanting to compare that amount to your premiums, deductible, and maximum out of pocket totalled.

The valley just over the gross income limits for food stamps, medicaid, and title xx is a brutal place.

Like 600 or 700 dollars over. The way I understand it you can still get some kind of reduced rates or financial assistance for health market plans if you're low income, which I still would be. So I need to figure out what my hypothetical insurance info would be.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
What's the best media player for Windows now?

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
I'd like to replace my dad's cable with Philo to save money. The only problem is it doesn't have TCM. Is there another cheap way I could stream classic movies for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Does anyone have any idea where I can find the original video of this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWtQzPp4Ras&t=237s