Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

On Sunday someone slammed into my car and his front bumper caved in but the spare tire on the back of my SUV spared my car from any damage. We exchanged information and he said he was going to call triple A and let them fix his car and let them know about what happen so they can contact me to see if they can do anything for me.

1) Should I contact my insurance company to report this accident? I figured since I received no damage I wouldn't have to go through the troubles of contacting my insurance company.

2) There is nothing stopping that guy from saying he slammed into a tree. Should I be worried about anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Having problems with emails at work. We all use Outlook.

My email display name is John Doe and my manager's is Alex Doe. A customer who has never emailed me before emailed Alex's email but the display name is John Doe with his email address. So in the email to/from section it shows: John Doe (alexdoe@website.com) instead of Alex Doe (alexdoe@website.com).

Why is this happening and how can we fix this? :confused:

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm looking to buy Christmas cards in bulk (200-300 cards) to mail out to customers at my work. Does anyone know of any good websites with some interesting/unique/funny designs for cards?

We used to order from these guys : http://www.holidayclassics.com/index.jsp but they have a lot of boring life-less corporate cards. I'm looking for cards with more personality like these : http://www.etsy.com/search?q=funny%20christmas%20card&view_type=gallery&ship_to=US but with bulk pricing.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm planning to travel overseas to China next year but I still need to be in communication with my office just in case. What are my options to get cheap & reliable phone/text service? We're planning to sign up for a new service just for my time overseas. Could I utilize Skype or Google Voice some how?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I've been trying to apply for health insurance in California through our website (https://v.calheers.ca.gov/) , which I've been told is suppose to work opposed to the Federal website.

Despite what I've heard, I've been having a few problems with the website. Anyone else in California experiencing problems? In the Employment Income area, I'm unable to add income because that button is simply not there. :argh: I've tried Chrome, Firefox & Explorer but there is no button!!

edit: The button is finally there after furious refreshing. The website is still total poo poo though.

Dr. Video Games 0089 fucked around with this message at 17:29 on Oct 25, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

This has happened to me a couple times now when it comes to tipping at restaurants.

I pay the bill with my credit card and get a receipt to sign. If the bill is $15, I'll write $5 in the tip section and write $20 in the total section. I checked my bank account today and the restaurant only charged me $15, why didn't they include the tip?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I want to set a up a cheap webcam/laptop system in my garage.

Ultimately, I want to view whats on the webcam from any computer. I don't really care for recording functions and motion sensing would be cool but optional. How would I go to do something like this?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

At my company, we're about to switch internet providers. My boss has always had someone come in to set up our network for the office. That usually entails making sure our computers(5 of them) are connected to our server, network printers, and remote connecting to employees outside of the office to help them connect to our server here.

I've never really done any networking stuff -- especially with a server. The server is basically a computer we have in the back that is always on. The closest thing to networking is setting up a router at home and playing with the network center on Windows 7.

My boss wants me find an 'IT guy' to do this but this doesn't seem like a difficult task. Before I talk to my boss about this, I want to make sure it's something I could handle. With my limited knowledge about networking + googling, is this really a task that requires hiring somebody else?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I have about 200 PDFs and I want to add a page at the end of every PDF file. It will be the same page at the end of every PDF. Is there a program that can do this in bulk?

I've found a few PDF merging programs that kind of does what I want but I can't really do it in bulk since if I place all 200 PDFs in queue, it will think I want to combine all 200 PDFs together.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I know little about cars. I'm going to change my own oil in a few days and found this on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FW7V50/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Is this motor oil that I can just pour into my engine? Its in the motor oil section so I imagine so but I want to make 100% sure so I don't gently caress up my car. :shobon: If not, how is it used?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I went to a new dentist last weekend and was told that I need my wisdom teeth removed.

They quoted me and included the cost of general anesthesia. General anesthesia is going to cost me $450 (about 40% of my bill). I always thought that general anesthesia was an option, not a requirement. What's the deal? I'm thinking of going to another place to get a second opinion.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I'm trying to do this in Excel:

I want to have a bunch of buttons/cells and if the button/cell is clicked, it will paste specific text down a column or an 'input' row.

So if I press button A, it will paste TextA. Press button B, paste textB.

Is Excel the way to go? I'm open to using other programs.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

In video games, why do higher textures require more processing power?

I may be wrong but I've always understood textures as an image that lays on top of a model/object. Bad textures usually derive from poorly used images or stretched images.

Is the difference between lovely textures and good textures basically image resolutions? For example, if a a game had a rock that used a 800x600 texture, it may look like poo poo because it could stretch out and not provide much detail. So if someone replaces it with a 1920x1280 texture, will it look better because its bigger and could provide more detail?

So if that's the case, a game pulling 50 1902x1280 images instead of 50 800x600 images may require more processing power right?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

To print photos, do I need a printer that specializes in printing photos?

Could a color toner or inkjet printer also print on photo paper?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

FCKGW posted:

Laser will not work on regular photo paper.

Just take it to a photo kiosk.

A friend of mine is actually looking into having a photo booth set-up at a Christmas party. They have someone with a big fancy DSLR that can be tethered to a computer but we don't know much about the printing side of it.

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Woke up today to see that my credit card received a few unauthorized charges.

This is the description of the charges:

OPERATOR - CHARGE 2 AC
OPERATOR - APPLE WATCH
OPERATOR - SUEDE DERBY
OPERATOR
OPERATOR (This was a .50 charge, probably to test my card)

All 5 charges racked up to be a total of $600. I've already contacted my credit card company to take are of the situation but I wanted to know, why did all five charges have 'OPERATOR' in their description?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I want to build something like this: http://i.imgur.com/eaTvBgN.jpg

Does anyone know what those bars/parts are called?

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

I had a friend approach me regarding domain names for his business (I do a bit of website stuff) but I had no idea how to answer him.

He has a business named All Forklift Solutions (not actual name) and owns the domain allforkliftsolutions.com. His business has been around for 10 years and recently found out that 'allforklift.com' is available for purchase at $3000 since someone is squatting on it. He wanted to know, is there any way to obtain allforklift.com since the name applies to his company without actually having to shell out $3000?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0089
Apr 15, 2004

“Silent Blue - .random.”

Is it considered assault if I pick someone up, moved them to another location, and placed them down?

I've had this thought after watching videos of bouncers dealing with unruly people. If the bouncer had the ability to pick someone up, let's say like this:

or

Assuming the person being picked up doesn't suffer any injuries like a fractured rib from a bear hug — is it assault?